Mounted weapons, prone, dropship defenses and some other junk from me.

Bagsman

Just some random semi-related ideas here. Lots of gears 3 influence here... Sorry about that.

Anyway.

I know it's only concept art but on the Chinook artwork we're shown it firing some variety of what I can only assume is a rotary cannon. Now I thought to myself that this would be super cool as a usable defense on ground missions (perhaps only operable when a xenonaut is manning it from within the dropship) for when you're desperately retreating from a terror mission gone awry or something like that?

This also got me thinking about the possibility of mounted weapons or deployable heavy weapons or perhaps weapons that require a two-man team to operate, such as a tripod-mounted heavy machine gun like the browning 50 cal.

50calHB-M3.jpg

Of course this then got me thinking about the possibility of firing from a prone position which would greatly improve the accuracy of say a sniper rifle or machine gun with deployable bipod and make them harder to hit from a distance but greatly vulnerable at close ranges (just an extension of the kneeling system really). Perhaps the ability to use a wall as a mounting for a rifle or machine gun when behind one as cover to improve accuracy.

/me rambles.

And lastly a question I had: Would armored vehicles be useable as cover by xenonauts, by which I mean they would have all of the game's cover system mechanics apply to them when they were being used as cover by infantry?

Oh and what about having an anti-material rifle :D?

50calHB-M3.jpg

50calHB-M3.jpg.09de2c8cc72019189b87437ec

To be precise, no emplacements anywhere. Makes it too easy, too messy to code.

Prone is out due to the sheer degree of work added, and because its not considered exactly necessary. Much like manual kneeling.

Vehicles are unlikely to act as 'cover' cover, more as LOF blockers (bullet stoppers). They're pretty big. Their corpses might though.

Anti-material rifles haven't been brought up much, but again unlikely. You've got rocket launchers, and they've got additional uses above Anti-vehicle fire (anti-personnel, stunning, fire-bombing).

Oof, sorry guys. Thought I was onto something that hadn't already been shot down :<

By anti-materiel rifle I meant very high power/high calibre rifles used for shooting through equipment and armored targets rather than personnel (whoops on the spelling).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-materiel_rifle

Totally forgot about the exclusion zone thing too.

Vehicles acting as cover proper could make for some really cool tactical decision making but I can see how it might be a pain to implement and using them as LOF blockers could still provide some of that tactical fun.

Basically everything said above is correct. For the vehicles, using them as cover would have pretty much the same effect as just standing behind them as they have a 100% stopping value (ie, they stop 100% of the shots passing through the square they occupy).

Grenades aren't currently planned to have a delay (you just throw them, no priming necessary). The breaching charges might, but we haven't been told much about them beyond their existence.

Having a massively overkilled vehicle explode could be a nice addition though.

Maybe not massive. Say...twice the size of the current RPG HE rocket one, but 2/3 of the damage.

Splash some fire around too.

Should only be for actual overkill (say, -50hp) situations, otherwise it becomes either a liability or a...well, plan. Looking at you Gauddlike.

Yay! I assume the throw range will be balanced properly too? Was always a bit odd that HE packs became better to use than grenades for veteran troops, who could still throw them really far, without the inherent 'hit the battlefield ceiling' problem.

To avoid making another topic for a simple question & request I'll just dump it hereL

1) Can we have some of the Xenonaut land-vehicle pics & information up on the awesome new Xenonauts.com please :D?

2) Please tell me that the Xenonauts tech tree includes at least one tier of non-alien-derived but "needs-to be-researched-before-getting-it" technology. (The XCOM: EU analogue to what I mean would be the Laser Technology tier of course )

Yes, OK, I was feeling silly yesterday. :)

I'd kind of assumed that given the background of the game it was something on the order of 'Reverse engineer alien batteries', or maybe just find some alien biochemistry that they use for something else and humans make energy cells with it. Even in the 1970's a simple carbon dioxide laser would be a heavy, but effective weapon if it had sufficient portable energy to fire. It'd be something along the lines of a heavy 1980's sized camcorder, but more long range, low damage, but would work.

Seriously, plasma propulsion in various modes would be interesting to see. The obvious would be the well versed plasma rocket, but the more recent concept of external plasma manipulation (ie light-craft) that actually use little or no fuel, just power to energize and manipulate plasma would be interesting and sort of fit with a classic 'ufo' feel.