What's your X-Com experience?

I first heard about the X-COM franchise from TotalBiscuit's WTF is Xenonauts in a very early stage of the game. It immediately got pre-ordered because the strategy behind the game looked SO GOOD! I then decided to learn more about this mysterious 'X-COM' and and bought the pack on steam for $15. I've played a ton of the OG, probably over 200 hours. After learning about XComUtil, I've played more and more of it. I've even dabbled in TFTD and recently tried my hand at Apocalypse. Interceptor lays never played on my steam library and Enforcer has 14 minutes played. With the Firaxis game, I bought it on release. I was a bit disappointed in the mechanics like aliens needing to be activated in such. What is your experience with X-Com?

TL;DR: I learned about Xenonauts, pre-ordered, then bought the original games then EU2012.

Mine was around the time of this Fortean Times review

I played TFTD a lot less, possibly only finishing it twice or so. Some very long missions and what I felt was a bit of a flat ending.

Apocalypse I loved. I just opened up my steam one the other week, and already miss things like squad movement, rivalry in funding organisations etc etc from things like this game. Great stuff.

I have played the whole XCOM series, All of the UFO:After*** series, Silent Storm Series, UFO:extraterestial, the latest XCOM(2012). I really enjoy all of these games, but all have there good and bad points of course. It is just a personal opinion, but I think most games out there are pretty dumbed down and hold your hand wanting you to win or twitchy action/FPS. The fore mention games actually make me think a bit like an action packed game of chess. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with the other types of games if that is your thing it just isn't mine. My son is a FPS junky and he is brilliant, so it has nothing to do with intellect, and I don't want to start yet another post that gets turned into a comparison of genres. This game has real potential and we are fortunate to be able to be involved in the development though these forums. I have had the devs reply to several of my posts. Try that with the one of the hugh game companies, you get luck if one of the know nothing forum admins replies to you.

I played the original XCom, a bit of Apoc, and Firaxis' XCOM. While I love tactical turn base gameplay, what's really important for me is polish. Apoc wasn't finished so it lacked the flow that the original game and the Firaxis remake had. I'd like to also include JA2 1.13 in here since it's got a bit of that XCom feel to it as well. I'm hoping that Xenonauts will deliver that same difficult gameplay experience while keeping that polish that makes you want to really finish a game to the end.

Started with the original X-COM back in '95 while still in the Marines. Went on from there to Terror of the Deep...sigh...been missing both ever since. Got the original from Steam when it came again out and started hunting for remakes. I really enjoy playing UFO: Extraterrestrial Gold (also from Steam) but I'm pretty sure Xenonauts is the remake I've been looking for.

I have played Laser squad, sabre squad, JA series, UFO afterlight series, silent storm series, XCOM series and fixaris consolized xcom. Tried extraterrestrials but never got into it. I love turn based tactical squad games. If I was to choose one out of the banch to keep me company on a deserted island that would definitely be JA2, although UFO defence would be a close second. The hours spent playing both could have easily earned me a second Masters degree.

I only hope that xenonauts will be the deep and fulfilling experience that fixaris' clone was not

I played the original X-Com(s) (not including enforcer and interceptor), UFO:ET and all of the UFO afterXs as well as Fallout Tactics although I never got to finish it, somewhere at the middle of the game I left it off and at some point I had to format and never found the time to start it all over again since then. I also have fallout 1+2 on my gog account but never seem to find the time to play them. One day...one day...