19 Feb Development Update

Chris

hey so quick question. in the original xcom, when a ufo was shot down based on damage, it would be more destroyed on the combat map.( ie more of the ships walls were blown apart and there was more fire, which I believe was randomly generated)

is this planned in xenonauts? or do you guys just plan on a single craft with single or set destroyed points?

Will wait to see what these bring. Based on my experience though ... er, can I have my money back? Simply because playing on easy as I do, I'm getting creamed out there as it is and I'd be stuck with having to repeat the first week forever if I were playing properly. So the 'balance' is even more 'unbalanced'.

Hello all! Sorry for the delay got involved in that ugly thing called work..ugghh..damn them for eating into my game time. I have the latest (V17.6.1) standalone to answer your question Gauddlike. I can create submaps in that editor and I can place them in the level editor but if I try to move anything I get program stopped responding(end) box. Im on windows 8 x64 if it matters.

Edit: The game itself runs fine. It could be possible be just a corruption of the editor file??

Edited by Thomas

It's not too far away. There's no specific date I'm aware of. In fact, a lot of folks would rather there wasn't a date mentioned until it was pretty much done and dusted.

It's better that way, rather than setting a date and not being able to meet it because of issues coming up in development.

Yup, don't want to set up any expectations round here :)

Or anywhere else really for that matter. At least not when it comes to devs mentioning possible time-frames. Unexpected things can always pop up during development cycles and dates can get pushed back often as I'm sure we all know. Internally this isn't a problem but if people outside the team are expecting something, even beta testers, they can feel jilted if exact dates aren't stuck to like glue.

It makes me miss the good old days of being a beta tester where you either got paid to do proper testing or were compensated with at least a free copy of the game and a mention in the credits. Now days companies know they can get gamers to test their games for them for free and even pay for the chance to do so. Hence monetizing and outsourcing QA both at the same time, while mentally getting the consumers en mass to except buggy unfinished software when a company simply releases something as is and then stops supporting the product.

You can't blame a small company like Goldhawk or a bigger indie like Stardock for doing this as it's more or less standard in the industry now and it legitimately helps companies like them who need the help financially making a good game. Larger companies like Blizzard for example though can afford to dump millions into QA to make sure they put out a flawless product but they don't, instead choosing to milk their customers for extra cash and make them falsely feel special because they're in a "beta".

The good ol days didn't last nearly long enough. Once upon a time it used to be possible to pay your bills on a beta tester's income without having to directly work for a big publisher or report to a office every day. If I could turn back the clock and set the industry as a whole to rights I'd do it a heartbeat.

Edited by RavenX

WOOT! I'm so stoked! Knew it was time to stop lurking, and just grazing over the threads and actually read some posts. I know you can't say when you'll be releasing for sure, but I hope you miraculously swing a summer release somehow. It'd be a perfect way to spend my free-time over the summer, since the semester will be over and all. =D

EDIT: And seeing as how it's 1 AM and I've been doing homework all night, I forgot to mention that at least the Beta will make a kick-ass late birthday present that I bought myself... What, a year ago now? Two? Whatever, it'll be kick-ass, that's for sure!

Hi Chris - I know I might sound like a broken record, if so I apologize ahead of time. Is there any chance that you will take another look at the spread on auto/burst fire and missed shots as part of the balancing? At least a few other people agree with me that the arc of fire is too wide to be believable. Gauddlike and I both believe that to compensate for increased accuracy of a tightened arc you could simply have some of the misses pass through the target tile without hitting whatever target creature is in there (similar to what you do for crouched soldiers now.) It would simply be "near miss." The miss could then carry on and hit something/someone behind or just exit the map. It could even hit just short of the target i.e. in the ground at it's "feet". It is worth noting that this would account for some of the shots going "high" or "low" which happens often in real life. Mathematically, you could easily make the average chance to hit work out the same as it does now, but have a much better "look" to auto fire and your soldiers and aliens wouldn't "look" as incompetent with their shooting.

This is a good idea I think.