Is there any sort of full fledged guide out there at the moment? I know this is alpha and all but I was wondering if anyone had anything they had made for themselves and would be willing to share. I'm specifically looking at research trees, I feel like I'm missing stuff but I don't know what. Admittedly this is hampered by the game crashing first week into october every game. If anyone has any guides or anything it would be appreciated. Again, I know this is still in alpha so I'm not expecting stuff that is balance related. More the hardcoded research trees and whatnot. Thanks!

What do you want to know most of all, ciago92? Good base starting positions? Air combat technique? Early game resource management? If you want a tech tree, then I'd hold fire on that. The tech tree may be re-written when the beta comes and goes (depending on user feedback).

Is there something in particular that you want to build? Weapons? Armour? Equipment?

The main things I'm trying to figure out are prereqs for more planes and laser tech. I haven't caught any ufos on the ground and the comment about XCOM made me realize I haven't captured any live aliens yet either. I'm guessing one or both will open up more options for me. Also, I could use some pointers with MiG air combat since the F-17s can't keep up with normal scouts. Thank you for your help!

In the alpha the only planes you can get are the F-17 and the (researchable/manufacturable) MiG. The MiG will be practically your second research topic, if you research the first topic available to you (Alien Invasion) straight off.

While you find research frustrating, part of the X-Com ethos is trying different research topics in the game, so I'm not going to hold you every step of the way, but I will give you useful advice. The journey to laser technology (tier 2) is a long and winding road. You cannot get to tier 2 before the scout UFO appears, because only Scouts and higher have a Alien Power Source, and you must capture one intact. (intact Alien Power Sources are only available to shot-down Scout-and-higher UFOs that have suffered minor damage or have landed, and to the best of my knowledge, the game randomly determines whether or not a shot-down UFO has suffered minor or severe damage). You must research the Alien Power Source (and subsequent topics), and you must research alien plasma weapons. The two technology branches (UFO and plasma weapons) join up to form a unified trunk. A few more topics later, and you can research tier 2 weapons and armour (either one is available at the same time).

Fighting Scouts with MiGs is easy when you know how. Sidewinder missiles outrange the Scouts plasma cannon, and it cannot dodge. Simply equip your MiG with sidewinder missiles only, and you will always win a battle against Scouts. It's good practice to equip MiGs either entirely with light weapons or heavy weapons, depending on the situation they will be going into.

yeah I'm always manufacturing MiGs but I was hoping for more than just those two for now lol oh well. (related note, anyone know anything about the airplanes mod? I checked it out but all the downloads are broken) guess I'll just have to hope to shoot one down with light damage. The reason I asked was because I had already researched everything I had available. Thanks for the heads up about the MiGs w/ only sidewinders, I didn't think of modifying their loadout.

The research tree is not final yet and has changed (a little) a few times over the course of the alpha so a guide may not prove to be very useful to you at this stage.

Chris has said that the scientist and research topics themselves will guide you in the full game though.

For example suggesting you should locate an alien power source so that you can work on extracting Alenium and so on.