XCD Discussion (SPOILERS)

It's always fun getting to discuss stories with readers after they've gotten a chance to read. For those who have finished XCD already, what were your thoughts? Could you guys relate to Mikhail throughout his situation? Did anyone pick up on the mind control element before the reveal? Do you feel like you'll be jumping into a living, breathing world come Xeno's release?

It was definitely a shift writing something so similar to Epic conceptually but in a totally different time period (near-future vs. late 1950's). It was also new writing in someone else's universe, XCD being in Chris's. There's always that feeling of needing to tread respectfully to ensure that, while you're still making the story your own, you're not taking it off in a direction the original creator didn't intend. This was a unique project in a lot of ways.

It's just nice to finally be able to talk about it. :) And to finally have it out there! I hope the wait wasn't too painful.

I will say that I did enjoy the book, but I do have 1 question. What ship was it that they were invading/raiding? I remember from the original story that it was a corvett, but what you described reminded my more of the crusier/strike crusier?

Probably the best way to view that ship in the context of the story is as a unique ship, not necessarily one you'd see in the game itself. One of the challenges we faced was that at the time of writing the interior battle/events, the interior of a ship that size hadn't been designed yet, so there was really no precedent for how it needed to be laid out. Also, I'm sure that when the original Xenonauts backstory was being written, Chris wasn't thinking, "we'll write a novella about this." :) So yeah, that's a part that might be a little tricky to wrap your head around if you hold the ship to the actual gameplay. If you wanted to keep it canon-based in your head, it'd probably be best to imagine that in the twenty years between XCD and the start of the Xenonauts game, the aliens designed different vessels for different purposes. Even though the ship in the story may resemble ships in the game, I know for me I always envisioned it as a standalone ship for that particular mission (for the aliens).

Damn it...I'm going to start caring about the guys I frog-march to their deaths now!

Only part where I had to somewhat bend my suspension of disbelief was the part where Hemingway knew how to fire the plasma rifle after only hearing the phrase "use the toggle."

By the way of the game artwork, I'd have thought the trigger resembling more a large panel.

Probably the best way to view that ship in the context of the story is as a unique ship, not necessarily one you'd see in the game itself. One of the challenges we faced was that at the time of writing the interior battle/events, the interior of a ship that size hadn't been designed yet, so there was really no precedent for how it needed to be laid out. Also, I'm sure that when the original Xenonauts backstory was being written, Chris wasn't thinking, "we'll write a novella about this." :) So yeah, that's a part that might be a little tricky to wrap your head around if you hold the ship to the actual gameplay. If you wanted to keep it canon-based in your head, it'd probably be best to imagine that in the twenty years between XCD and the start of the Xenonauts game, the aliens designed different vessels for different purposes. Even though the ship in the story may resemble ships in the game, I know for me I always envisioned it as a standalone ship for that particular mission (for the aliens).

I thought it might have been that. I'd figured a lot would have been changed from the prior story and I'm okay with that. I was just wondering about the ship because it seemed larger then the corvett. I suppose this was some special advanced recon scout exploration ship which I like. I do really like the story, wish there could be more to come.

I really enjoyed it, it really gave you a more personal connection to the agency and, more importantly in my opinion, the men and women you'll be commanding.

It also means that it was, in some form, formed by a famous WWII Soviet sniper lady, which is pretty sweet.

Plus, I now know to aim for the neck.

It does grant a very nice connection with the game. Especially with the #221 unlock! I was beginning to suspect more foul play when he was getting confused on the bridge. First instinct was that you'd made the dead grey trapped in his mind. (I read a lot of fantasy and 40k) which I wouldn't have liked as much as what actually was the case. It would have taken the book un-necessary further off from what can happen in game.

Overall I really liked it, though I didn't need it to be able to "get into" the game. I read some great fanfic back when UFOEU came out, so I'm already there. :D Wouldn't mind having more of these to read. GO GO Xenonauts book series!

re: toggle without knowing what the weapon looked like it might have been fairly obvious... it was around the standard trigger section anyways.

I was most impressed with how it managed to be both "omg aliens I can't believe this is happening" SF and "well, ok, we're soldiers and this is what we do" grounded fiction. Unfamiliarity with the terrain, aliens, and weapons/mechanics seemed realistic, and it definitely makes a case for why there would be an XCOM organization, rather than just having a bunch of paranoid governments around the world. The blend of fatalities, unknown (I did notice the "unknown enemies" tossed into the end of an early chapter), tactics, and tech seemed to capture the series. I also like how it sets low expectations for our skills keeping soldiers alive in the game. ;)

The one major critique I'd have would be that the ending was a little too hollywood, but I'll forgive that because tying in Mikhail's daughter into the game is an awesome move. I'm not entirely sure that if I watched someone I really respected die (more or less) I'd be waiting around for years to make sure I could recruit his only child into that same conflict (though obviously being able to share the classified info about his death was another aspect).

I'd be curious in checking out your main series, maybe some promo code for xenonauts to get the series in epub/mobi? :)

@ice, can you point me to the XCOMEU fanfic? I've read some LPs but that's about it.

update: hum, your books don't seem to be available in epub format.

Edited by erutan
epub Q

@ice, can you point me to the XCOMEU fanfic? I've read some LPs but that's about it.

Oh, gods. I'll see if I can dig it up, but this was.. around 16 years ago. I'll see if I can find it. It might not exist on the webbernets anymore, or not have stood up to the test of time.

I had a feeling there could be something lingering in Mikhail's mind when there seemed to be a voice telling him where to go (when he tells Hemmingway to go the other way), but that could have been me misinterpreting his own thoughts for something else. Or could it have been both? :eek:

I still wasn't expecting the ending quite the way it came, and it had me feeling genuinely sad for Mikhail and his daughter. The wallet thingy was kinda a slap in the face, actually (in a good way), sort of saying "No happy death for our hero, oh no!" Made it less Hollywoodish to me.

I could jabber on, but I really liked it and between this and the game itself I'd say it was well worth the money I put down. A jolly good read indeed!

@swe I think you're right, a few times he has these "gut" feelings on which way to go that line up with how he "knows" how to use the control panel.

The tragic death is still a bit hollywood, I felt drawing it out made it a bit more "cinematic" - in true xenonauts fashion he would have just had his head evaporated heh. Given that it's a novella and has to tie in with the game so it's not a big deal, and that scene did add a more tension / focus on the main char so I'm not adamantly against it, it just felt a bit "there for a reason" vs. "there because it would have happened" if that makes sense. :)

@swe I think you're right, a few times he has these "gut" feelings on which way to go that line up with how he "knows" how to use the control panel.

The tragic death is still a bit hollywood, I felt drawing it out made it a bit more "cinematic" - in true xenonauts fashion he would have just had his head evaporated heh. Given that it's a novella and has to tie in with the game so it's not a big deal, and that scene did add a more tension / focus on the main char so I'm not adamantly against it, it just felt a bit "there for a reason" vs. "there because it would have happened" if that makes sense. :)

Although it was a good showcase of how deadly plasma weapons are. He got hit in the shoulder and the side of his waist? and he was no longer able to really move. A good/bad example of the effects of plasma and the amount of damage it'll inflict.

What I was referring to was that he of all the characters essentially had one of those dramatic extended deaths where he crawls around for a bit then falters just as he does some poignant final action. Everyone else was pretty cut down instantly (with the exception of the wounded XO but even his proper death was fast).

I think the story is emotionally stronger for it being there, and things have to be compact in a novella, but his death stood out as more... crafted, if that makes sense. And that sort of pulled me out a little bit.

That said I bought the epic series - send Stephen a PM if you need epubs. :)

Exactly what I meant. It did remind me very much of the Horus Heresy book Fulgrim, which may be why I made the connection that another intelligence was influencing him.

Well, it has to be tragic, it's the main character after all ;)

But I get where you are coming from, in comparison to how everyone else bit the dust. I do think that people would feel kinda cheated if Mikhail just dropped dead like the rest of them. Not entirely sure I get the last bit, but I just got up and haven't had any coffee yet, so I blame that! :P

The last bit was basically what you said earlier - he was the main character so we feel attached to him, there is the emotional hook of his seeing his family again, we expect something as readers. Hollywood was the wrong way to put it, I'll choose "crafted" instead. After I settled into the book I didn't second guess what was happening, the infiltration was well written in a very realistic way (well given our knowledge of the xcom/xeno universe heh). Then there is a crafted (created / tradecraft) death which stood out because it was there to bring out certain emotions from the reader at the cost of breaking the rhythm / tone earlier.

I don't think it's "bad" or "wrong" just that it stuck out as a device to bringing the daughter back into xenonauts (which I'm glad is there), it just felt a little forced in for the sake of the story vs. "this is what would have happened if it had really happened". :)

A very good read! the only thing that stuck out as a bit off was the escape pod with the female sniper very near the end, Perhaps I just didn't exactly understand what it did in scanning her, but I would of figured it would have done something a bit more defensive had it detected a hostile lifeform (IE, not a member of the ship races) and either decompressed her out or exploded.

Yeah that was a little odd too - the fuel it would take to go back to the planet of origin and back wouldn't make sense, you think it'd either scan earlier or decompress the pod (or just take her along anyways, it's not like one pod full of strangers would be a threat to the alien base/homeworld, unless they're paranoid about no one discovering the location).

More of that "well we have to wrap it up" scene I guess. :)

Great novel Lee!

I enjoyed reading it very much. :)

Just one thing I would add are more expanded descriptions of gear used by characters.

Was Mikhail carrying heavy backpack that was slowing him down?

Was GRU medic equipped with a medikit full of mysterious syringes?

Did Russians had steel helmets that obscured their view a little?

I think those kind of details add to the mood.

Overall good job!

Thanks for writing this for us Lee. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed it. I'm pretty sure I recognized the mind control attempts from the first time they appeared, but I was expecting it--and I like that we got an explanation for the UFO's detonation.

I sorta had a realism issue with the entry plan--"let's send 12 soldiers into a ship that's a kilometer long." I know their plan involved sending more troops, but that's just not how you do close-quarters battle. Typically you want to get all your guns in the building as quickly as possible, and you'd probably want 12 men to safely clear a typical house.

Someone asked about xcom fanfic... the XCOM saga by Russ Brown is pretty good: http://www.xcomufo.com/stories.html