Xenonauts: Crimson Dagger (a novella by Lee Stephen)

Chris

A good read, it was. I think you nailed the feeling of close quarters combat very good, at least in my own limited experience. The descriptions of the aliens was another highlight for me, as was the whole damn thing, to be honest.

And who knew thotkhins and I shared first names. My, but you do learn something every day :eek:

I didn't enjoy such a read in a long while (plus it was a great way to kill those 5 hours I had in Phili's international airport while I was waiting for my flight home). Honestly, a truly spectacular addition to the Xenonaut' fictional universe. This is just the kind of things that can turn something like this from just another computer game, to a full-scale fictional universe.

Yes, I truely enjoyed this read. I already knew I would though after reading your Epic series (also, how many new fans of Epic will this get?) and how this, in base pricipal, is the same type of story. I do want to see some more at some time. There are many more stories to be had by this series. I can't wait.

Yes, I truely enjoyed this read. I already knew I would though after reading your Epic series (also, how many new fans of Epic will this get?) and how this, in base pricipal, is the same type of story. I do want to see some more at some time. There are many more stories to be had by this series. I can't wait.

Part of the hope through this novella was that it would benefit both Xenonauts and Epic, both of which were inspired by the original X-Com. We hoped that through XCD, the lore of Xenonauts would be enhanced and publicized through fiction, and that fans of Xenonauts (and X-Com) would know that, hey, there's a serious science-fiction series called Epic out there that's smack-dab in the middle of this genre. Universes like Xenonauts and Epic were born to partner up. You want an X-Com inspired video game? Bam. There you go. You want an X-Com inspired novel series? Bam. There you go. XCD is the equivalent of an X-Com-inspired mash-up: the style of Epic in the world of Xeno.

I do hope that those who enjoyed XCD decide to give Epic a shot. I really, really liked working on XCD. But I am thoroughly, madly, passionately in love with Epic. Xeno is Chris's baby. Epic is mine. We want the X-Com faithful to enjoy them both! :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I also enjoyed reading XCD.

Also picked up a few of the Epic books but won't have a chance to start them until my degree is complete.

I could stand to read a few more short stories around Xenoanuts missions though.

Once the game has been out for a while the final mission might make a good novella.

Just saying :P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

At present there are no plans to write any additional Xenonauts stories (but I'm glad you enjoyed XCD!). I would direct anyone looking for more of my work to Epic, my novel series, currently four books long. Several members here have gotten into it, so I'm sure you could look back and see their thoughts! If you liked Crimson Dagger, Epic should be right up your alley.

• 1 month later...

I couldn't agree more, I had taken a few years off reading. However, the Epic series reawakened my love of reading!

I read them all in a week, now i'm yearning for some more or even the audio book.

Making do with the Monster Hunter international and John Ringo Looking Glass Series (the later a bit like X-Com and then morphs into star trek as the series progresses). I've read about a dozen books this last year....but still really wanting book 5 of Epic.

Suspect that with the new kid being born, and the health challenges...epic book 5 might take a bit of time though. MHI is rocking in the meantime :) Lee, hope you are doing well. My prayers are with you.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...