Launcher Animation Test

Chris

So we're playing with the new launcher, and one of the issues I'm having is the animated video - for me, it just looks horrible and distorted. I want to know if this is a widespread problem, or an issue with my PC codecs.

Can a few people download the following zip file and run the program inside, please: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/26290309/launcher_test.rar (10mb)

Once you've done that, look at the text and see if it looks sharp or not. If it looks sharp then cool, please post that up here.

If it looks warped, like in this image, then that's bad - again, please let us know.

Basically it's tied to the codecs available on your media player. I can run that video fine in VLC but in Windows Media Player it is all distorted. If it happens to anyone else except me, we might have to look into how to bundle a codec with the game...but give it a test to see!

Please let me know your OS and whether you're the sort to have installed a codec pack already too!

I can't run the .exe (Mac, sorry) but I did play the videos in the assets folder. Both looked fine to me. I probably have a codec installed, seeing as my program (MPlayerX) can play basically everything I throw at it with great quality.

(Maybe Windows Media Player is just lame?)

Anyway, here's my screen shot.

Screen Shot 2013-01-24 at 10.28.02 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2013-01-24 at 10.28.02 AM.jpg

577e7ca76f333_ScreenShot2013-01-24at10.2

Win 7 32-bit 1366x768, looks great here. It must be my tired eyes as I didn't even notice the moving ships until I fired up the movie in VLC player. :D

Are you saying that you see only a static image? that would mean that you have no suitable codec to run the video.. Have you removed windows media player from your system?

Is it just me or is there a yellow square over and around the sun that fades in and out in 10-11 second interwals ? open the VLC movie and look at 0:05 0:16 0:26 0:37 and compare that to any other time in the movie.

I see it in the launcher too.

Edited by Gorlom

Is it just me or is there a yellow square over and around the sun that fades in and out in 10-11 second interwals ? open the VLC movie and look at 0:05 0:16 0:26 0:37 and compare that to any other time in the movie.

I see it in the launcher too.

Yeah, I see it too now that you mentioned it.

XenoLauncherMovie.jpg

EDIT: Oh, I see it's in the screenshot Chris posted as well, so guess they are aware of it.

XenoLauncherMovie.jpg

XenoLauncherMovie.jpg.23f569f00bb5713a56

Edited by Dowly

-- Yup, a little more blending on photoshop guys, because there is a pretty obvious square around the sun.

--Also, I can see artifacts/low res issues in the earth's atmosphere at 1920x1080

--also, also, the buttons under "Extras" don't go anywhere, but I guess that doesn't fall under "animation test" :P

By the way, any word on when the new version for Mac will be uploaded to Desura?

(This question pertains to this thread because once that comes out, we (the mac users of Xenonauts) can test the new launcher and video for the same problems that our beloved leader has had.)

17.52 does not have the new launcher. The Mac version has an issue that I am trying to fix before I can upload.

Are you saying that you see only a static image? that would mean that you have no suitable codec to run the video.. Have you removed windows media player from your system?

No, I'm operating on 3-4 hours sleep a night so my tired ol' eyes didn't notice the movement of the movie in the launcher until I loaded up the video in VLC. The launcher is working fine.

So we're playing with the new launcher, and one of the issues I'm having is the animated video - for me, it just looks horrible and distorted. I want to know if this is a widespread problem, or an issue with my PC codecs.

The launcher works, but I don't see any animation in it, seems to fall back to the (crisp) static image. Run from separate folder.

Video plays fine in MPC-HC on Win7 64, ffdshow, madVR. WMP not installed.

On a test machine with XP 32, the launcher runs and the video plays fine.

If it looks warped, like in this image, then that's bad - again, please let us know.

This image looks a lot like it's been rendered with nearest neighbor scaling algorithm, as setting it produces a very similar image. Seems to be output render settings related rather than codecs per se.