Ufo Frequency too high?

shinobi

Hi all,

So i made a test game to verify this with some hacked funds to get global radar coverage.

I'm getting between 4-8 Ufo's a day, and from the get go virtually no light scouts.

do we not think this is a little too high, for example my Geoscape is littered with downed ufo's

Edited by shinobi

That does sound like a lot. Maybe it isn't, though. It could be that way to ensure that wherever your first base is, you will have some activity. That way you're not bored out of your mind, waiting for aliens to come on by.

that's true, but if you don't have bases there (which you wouldn't at the start of a normal game) then you are taking a huge impact on those regions, slightly later on in that game before it crashed out (still 1979) I was getting 3-4 per based per day!

Perhaps the aliens are only there if you are looking. For example, you build a base in Africa. Only within your Radar range will aliens spawn with any degree of frequency, because everywhere else, you can't do squat. Once you cover more regions with Radar, you "trigger" higher activity in the newly covered area to keep you from getting bored. That way, you still get to trash some ETs and the ETs don't trash the rest of the world while you can't see them.

On the other hand, perhaps the high activity doesn't actually do that much damage in the regions where you can't see them. i.e., the impact is lessened until you take those regions under your wing, as it were.

On the third? hand, it could just be a bug. That's always a possibility.

Realizing that this hasn't been balanced, I'd like to toss in my two cents. One of the things that always bugged me was how short research time is in XCOM. We already have a reasonable explanation for why there wouldn't be very many UFOs at the beginning (conversion to atmo) so until it reaches the zomg-UFO-everywhere endgame having less UFOs means effectively less missions, which means we can make research times a little longer. This might also make the macro game a bit more challenging as you would need to be a little more careful on budgeting/decisions.... and if the globe is spinning at >>>> speed then it's not like it really takes "longer" in terms of player time.

There's a certain amount of plausibility in having to make a breakthrough in a technology tier, with subsequent research within that tier becoming a little easier.

But hey, I would have liked different research options available form funding nations, and that isn't going to happen either :)

Takes 2 weeks to transport the various fluids and liver samples to the CSI lab. There they will do things that takes 7 months in 14 seconds. then they will have retroactivly sent it back 3 days before you shot down the UFO that had the alien you captured in it.

If the enemies do come in waves as was mentioned by Chris originally then that should have a noticeable effect.

You may have a few days or a week of the sort of spawn rate you see currently but then nothing (or maybe just an occasional scouting mission) for a few weeks.

You would have time to get repaired and healed up, get some research done etc at high speed with less chance of interruption.