Head on intercepts

Joced

It rely bugs me when my carefully planed UFO intercept go out the window cos the pilots apparently cant shoot as something coming towards them. Any chance you can change it so the fighter wings only need to get in a certain range for the intercept to take place?

I read this as possibly an issue with the missile lock, which if you've never seen it before, and haven't read about, may be cause. The wiki states:-

"Missile Lock: In order to fire a missile, it must both be in range and have a missile lock acquired. Missile lock is signalled by the number in (brackets) after the weapon name. This starts counting down as soon as the target is in the 90 degree field of fire in front of the interceptor, and once it reaches zero the missile will be ready to fire."

There's a bit more in the manual regarding this too under air combat

Belmakor's air movement and targeting thread is also useful

If it's none of these, hopefully OP will come back to explain a bit more.

Based on the OP's use of the word "intercept" I'd have to assume that his issue is that even if a UFO is heading due west, and his intercepter is headed due east straight towards it (and vice versa) he can't just begin the battle and fire a long range missile or something to destroy/down it from a farther distance than is usual, based on the fact that his plane is aimed straight for the UFO. Like, if the usual distance to begin air combat is, arbitrary number, 3 miles, then if both parties are flying at each other, he wants to be able to start air combat at, say, 6 miles, since both parties are going to reach each other real soon anyway, missiles can travel longer distances than 3 miles, and since the UFO's headed straight at him, he has a much smaller chance to hit his target.

I could be totally off, but that's what I got out of it.

Gizmo got it right. I was speaking of intercepts on the geoscape. When your fighter meets a UFO from the front it always (with the exception of Alien fighters) goes past it and turn around to chase it. If you have a slower fighter then it don't matter if you plan a good interception path that gets your fighter in front of it. It don't attack anyway. Sry if my earlier post were unclear on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! Wasn't there for some time.

I played new version and have a sought - why not to make collision in aircombat? Because oftenly you can just use cannon/missiles on UFO when it is head-on course and easely win. If there will be collisions, then it will make it more difficult.

Hi everyone! Wasn't there for some time.

I played new version and have a sought - why not to make collision in aircombat? Because oftenly you can just use cannon/missiles on UFO when it is head-on course and easely win. If there will be collisions, then it will make it more difficult.

Would that be fun or just frustrating?

Would the evasive manuvers be automatic up close when collision is imminent or would you have to micromanage that each time? (effectivly making aircombat even more tedious for those that doesn't like it already)

Will colliding cause some damage, a lot of damage or result in an automatic crash? will both plane and UFO sustain damage or just player controlled plane?

Will the UFO have to try to evade as well or will it try to plow into the player controlled plane?