A nickname?

Chris

So, I'm writing a research description for an upgraded stun weapon. One of the things I wanted to put in the description was a reference to how the other soldiers referred to the poor bastard who got given the stun baton and was expected to run up to the alien and hit him with it.

An example - in WW2 there was a "tail-end Charlie" in British fighter squadrons whose job it was to fly at the back of the formation and watch for enemy planes (of course, being outside the rest of the formation, he was the most vulnerable man and naturally was the first pilot picked off by the Germans if they attacked).

Therefore I want a generic and preferably amusing nickname for the unfortunate stun baton soldiers. Any suggestions?

"BITEMS", a phonetic elongation of BYTM, or "Better You Than Me". More commonly known as "Going on Teeth Patrol", referring to the above and the early appearance of Sebillians, who are geared for close combat.

"FIZZERS", referring to the shock baton itself, and anyone mad enough to run towards an alien must have a fizzy brain.

"UNCLE MADS' SANDMEN", referring to the perilous conditions of the job, and the state of unconciousness they put aliens in.

Edited by Max_Caine

Stun Bait, Betty Baton, Baton Batter (from baseball "batting").

Forlorn Hope, Bonker (bonk - to hit, bonkers - crazy), Cardigan's Boys or just The Cardigans (referring to the Charge of The Light Brigade).

In response to the order, Lucan instructed Cardigan to lead 673 (some sources state 661; another 607[4]) cavalrymen straight into the valley between the Fedyukhin Heights and the Causeway Heights, famously dubbed the "Valley of Death" by the poet Tennyson.
Edited by Jean-Luc

Relay-runner (Joe)

Because i'm sure any xenonaut who survived at least three missions with the stunner role could easily win the olympic relay race.

That is, if he didn't hit the next runner with the baton in the head swearing like sailor.

Edited by a333

Sandmen for me too. I was thinking Noddies until I read that :)

Another for me would be Zappas after Frank Zappa who a fair number of folk in the early - mid '70s were into.

Zappa's band were the Mothers of Invention - which is also a nice way of thinking about the desperate R&D in Xeno that comes up with the stun rods.