No high technologies?

Happy to see a true update to XCOM in the works. Got my pre-order in and looking over the FAQ when I noticed that there would be no fusion launchers or human psionics in Xenonauts.

I have to say that this made me a little sad. While I never really got into psionics in the original XCOM, I had a blast (yuk, yuk) shooting those rockets around corners and up and down elevator shafts.

Less toys to play with will always feel like less. I hope that these and more may one day make their own appearances in Xenonauts, either by DLC or by mod community.

There are 4 tiers of weapons so I don't know about the title. but yeah there's no blaster launcher or psionics. As I understand it it won't be possible to mod in new functions (such as required for placing waypoints for the blaster launcher). At least not without having developer access to the code.

Purely in terms of quantity I'd say Xenonauts has more toys rather than less. You're simply ignoring the things that have been added as opposed to those removed.

More specifically I seriously doubt we'll ever see a blaster bomb equivalent simply because the game code doesn't support a kind of projectile that can change direction, have a pre-planned route and what not. It's something that would need to be programmed in from scratch. It goes beyond the realm of merely modding the game.

Psionics are much more likely since they actually exist in the game and someone who knows what they're doing might be able to find a way and make psi-powers available to humans as well but we'll see.

Edit: Got Gorlom'd (also known as GG :P)

You're simply ignoring the things that have been added as opposed to those removed.

Not ignoring them. I'm unaware of them. I may not have been clear enough - my information came off of the FAQ, and little else. At the time of my first post, I had not finished downloading the current alpha.

It's good to hear somebody say that there might be more items than the original XCOM. I just got another install error. Eventually I will be able to play it and see for myself. :-D

Quick run down on content that I have seen/heard about/seen hints in the files (none of this should be spoilers):

Somewhere around six sets of armour, including jump capable scout armour (not levitating flying suits).

Four tiers of technology including the original ballistic tier.

Five basic weapons per tier with similar properties, pistol, shotgun/carbine, assault rifle, precision (sniper) rifle, machine gun, plus possible alternative skins for at least one (AK47 or M16).

Additional 'special' weapons like the rocket launcher (with multiple rocket types plus new rockets through research), flamethrower (possibly), and a couple of undisclosed ones that I have seen mentioned but no details on.

Combat shields, stun rods, grenades, smoke grenades, stun grenades, flashbangs, medikits have all been mentioned, plus researchable higher tier grenades.

At least three Xenonaut ground vehicles with multiple turret weapon choices (although the turrets will not turn independently) plus researchable weapons.

Three dedicated troop transport aircraft, plus six interceptors (including your original aircraft) with researchable weapon upgrades.

Nine or so tilesets, including Xenonaut and alien bases.

Ten or so alien races, including vehicles and a chrysalid type enemy, most with multiple ranks with different appearences.

Alien races should also have their own personality, like the Sebillians preferring close combat and regenerating health, Androns ignoring cover and possibly walking straight through pesky walls that get in the way etc.

Around six different psionic abilities for the aliens to use against you.

Probably missed some stuff out but there should be plenty for you to do without missing blaster bombs or mind control spam too much.

I'm still hoping that human psionics can be picked up through modding. I'd probably prefer it not to be anything spectacular, and the aliens version would have to be vastly superior to it.

But I really liked the old Psi-Amp and there's a long history of Pychotronics/ Mind Control that EU1994 was drawing from when it used them. It's just the sort of thing that actually suits the cold war paranoia that was in place.

Just thinking: Any use of human psionics would establish the Xenonuat's location to the aliens, without them having to expend APs in any of their own location abilities, should they have any. It's another balancing measure. The aliens could be aware of each other's locations psionically (for those with abilities) as well as visually.

I'm still hoping that human psionics can be picked up through modding. I'd probably prefer it not to be anything spectacular, and the aliens version would have to be vastly superior to it.

But I really liked the old Psi-Amp and there's a long history of Pychotronics/ Mind Control that EU1994 was drawing from when it used them. It's just the sort of thing that actually suits the cold war paranoia that was in place.

Just thinking: Any use of human psionics would establish the Xenonuat's location to the aliens, without them having to expend APs in any of their own location abilities, should they have any. It's another balancing measure. The aliens could be aware of each other's locations psionically (for those with abilities) as well as visually.

The location thing could be abused so easily.

"I doubt modding psionics to players troops would be easy."

Noooooo! My dream!!!!!! :) actually, I was just thinking about that kickstarter tier that wasn't reached. You never know what the future will bring*

Hopefully, one day there will be some sort of system in place for the humans. The early part of them was a lot of fun back in EU1994.

*unless you're omnipotent. If you are reading this, and are omnipotent, do let me know how the psionics thing works out. C'mon, it's not like I'm asking for the football scores.