Quick Update on our Current Priorities!

Chris

Autoresolve is always tricky to balance as it tends to either gimp the player or devalue the "manual approach". It's best at quickly resolving steamroll situations but if Xenonauts removes or at least drastically lessens such occurrences it'll be hard to for auto-resolve to find its place.

On way to go about it, imo, would be to make aircraft repair a big deal. Heavily damaged interceptors taking a long time to repair making the player miss out on potential interceptions/missions. Then basically make it so auto-resolve very rarely results in destruction of the aircraft but rather heavy damage so there's a lot of repair downtime. It's a way to penalize overuse of auto-resolve without forcing the player to suffer great financial damage. Players who fight the air battles manually would use micro to minimize damage and keep their planes operational.

Autoresolve is always tricky to balance as it tends to either gimp the player or devalue the "manual approach". It's best at quickly resolving steamroll situations but if Xenonauts removes or at least drastically lessens such occurrences it'll be hard to for auto-resolve to find its place.

On way to go about it, imo, would be to make aircraft repair a big deal. Heavily damaged interceptors taking a long time to repair making the player miss out on potential interceptions/missions. Then basically make it so auto-resolve very rarely results in destruction of the aircraft but rather heavy damage so there's a lot of repair downtime. It's a way to penalize overuse of auto-resolve without forcing the player to suffer great financial damage. Players who fight the air battles manually would use micro to minimize damage and keep their planes operational.

That's what I said in more words.

Thinking about increased repair times: When the UFOs come in waves (which may change when more balance comes in), particularly the fighters, it means that you're likely to miss out on a number of them, because your aircraft are in the shop.

Since the UFOs are sneaky sending fighters to soak up Xenonauts attacks ahead of the craft you often want, this means that you could be missing out on some key missions.

Very tricky to balance.

Thinking about increased repair times: When the UFOs come in waves (which may change when more balance comes in), particularly the fighters, it means that you're likely to miss out on a number of them, because your aircraft are in the shop.

Since the UFOs are sneaky sending fighters to soak up Xenonauts attacks ahead of the craft you often want, this means that you could be missing out on some key missions.

Very tricky to balance.

Well I was kind of hoping that the air combat would basically be like the OG's, but oh well.

no way, I love this new air combat system, I usually take my 3 fighters send em in three directions (if the ufo turns to fight) see who the ufo going after and have the other 2 flank while the other plays bait.

Much better, more control, and will a little bit of tactics my jets never get a scratch xD

and aliens fighters try to wolf pack one of my jets anyways so its just a little more tense and a little longer dog fight but still good fun : )

"Well I was kind of hoping that the air combat would basically be like the OG's, but oh well. "

Just to make the distinction, I don't see the OG as auto-resolve. You still had decisions to make during the course of the combat. TO me, Auto-resolve is simply determining the number of fighters you are sending up, pressing the Big Button and letting the game get on with it.

"Well I was kind of hoping that the air combat would basically be like the OG's, but oh well. "

Just to make the distinction, I don't see the OG as auto-resolve. You still had decisions to make during the course of the combat. TO me, Auto-resolve is simply determining the number of fighters you are sending up, pressing the Big Button and letting the game get on with it.

You didn't really have decisions like that. The gun limited what UFOs you were immune to. Stingrays were immune to all small UFOs. Avalanche could hit everything from large and below without ever getting shot. Plasma Beam Cannons were the end all weapon. You were good as long as you didn't engage battleships.

So yes, it was as easy as clicking the intercept button. You were guaranteed to win with plasma beam cannons.

But at least you have to go in and select a tactic, and it's an extension of other situations where you may not have had the optimal weaponry on your craft, and were trying to take down larger UFOs. So, you would adjust your strategy and monitor the damage being done to your aircraft, in case you had to withdraw.

I should add to the end of my previous statement "with an interceptor/skyranger.". And in a way, it was autoresolve. Just press the "aggressive attack" button, and hope the RNG gods smile upon your craft.

Doesn't the X-com94 aircombat still take a few seconds? I mean it's not instant like an autoresolve would be. Wasn't that a complaint you had about the current aircombat and my suggestion about the speedup+invincibility mod?

If you are satisfied with that you could mod the aircombat so that it works similar to the X-com function (balanced so you don't need to bother with any tactics, but if you did it would be very easy). It would be a bit more trial and error testing than my invincibility suggestion but it can still be done.

Doesn't the X-com94 aircombat still take a few seconds? I mean it's not instant like an autoresolve would be. Wasn't that a complaint you had about the current aircombat and my suggestion about the speedup+invincibility mod?

If you are satisfied with that you could mod the aircombat so that it works similar to the X-com function (balanced so you don't need to bother with any tactics, but if you did it would be very easy). It would be a bit more trial and error testing than my invincibility suggestion but it can still be done.

Except I don't know how to mod.

There is no need for a dedicated autoresolve formula.

Simply give player's fighters a basic but reasonable behavior script - evade when shot at, away from the UFO, etc. This way the player can sit back and still get an expected outcome. Or take manual control and try to be better.

You can debate the autoresolve in the beta, we're not working on it at the moment so I've not really thought about it yet.

oh great and beloved leader, please...please...PLEASE...leave air combat alone! its friken EPIC!

....well maybe more fighters in a squadron (a chopper and 2 fighters? I can give you guys air formations to use OH new thread! "Air Combat Formations" Will post in a bit for you guys)

....and the "option to auto resolve a dog fight"....would be interesting... to... others, I guess : /

oh great and beloved leader, please...please...PLEASE...leave air combat alone! its friken EPIC!

....well maybe more fighters in a squadron (a chopper and 2 fighters? I can give you guys air formations to use OH new thread! "Air Combat Formations" Will post in a bit for you guys)

....and the "option to auto resolve a dog fight"....would be interesting... to... others, I guess : /

Do the weapons have random chances to hit? Or are they based on whether or not they touch the airplane graphic?