Still feels unplayable?

I have a few ideas about this. Maybe assign your pilots with a Passive or Aggressive Role (Thinking back to Baulders Gate lol)

Give the fighter pilots their own AI, which gradually increases after getting kills. Passive or Aggressive AI.

And then you have the ability to select a particular AI for each pilot, soon as the air-combat starts (Maybe add the ability to save the pilots chosen AI so it automatically carries out the chosen path, until you pick otherwise)

Passive: Pilot will either Flank or use a standard approach, depending on the situation. Pilot will auto-fire missles at the first second of missle lock. Pilot will auto-roll when fired upon with missles.

Aggressive: Pilot will use Afterburners to quickly make a head on attack, firing missles when close enough and moving in to use guns (if available) Pilot will auto-roll the aircraft when shot at, but only after firing his missles first.

Custom: You control everything for that parcitular pilot or pilots.

Sounds complicated. How about just adding longer range missiles?

All I'm saying is that I didn't play X-COM for the air combat. I played it to kill aliens on the ground. Now I know people like the current air combat, but my point is that it's going to be tedious to constantly be doing the same thing over and over again. Especially with the number of UFOs in the air I've seen in the first month.

I guess I'll just be one of the ones sending in three interceptors in every engagement head on.

Right, but you didn't actually answer my question. what specifically is the problem with the (hypothetical) invincible aircombat mod for you?

Right, but you didn't actually answer my question. what specifically is the problem with the (hypothetical) invincible aircombat mod for you?

Because I'd still have to take the time to go through all of the fighting. It'd be different if the combat was fast, but the way I see it, it takes forever.

Because I'd still have to take the time to go through all of the fighting. It'd be different if the combat was fast, but the way I see it, it takes forever.
I'm sorry did I not suggest to increase the speed of the players planes in the invincible mod? I could have sworn I did... I always meant to at least.

Assuming this would also speed them up in the geoscape the invincible mod would mean it takes considerably less time than any autoresolve, started when your planes and the UFO meet, would.

Edited by Gorlom

I'm sorry did I not suggest to increase the speed of the players planes in the invincible mod? I could have sworn I did... I always meant to at least.

Assuming this would also speed them up in the geoscape the invincible mod would mean it takes considerably less time than any autoresolve, started when your planes and the UFO meet, would.

Or how about just reducing the number of UFOs that come a month?

Taco you can edit all the number of aliens in the "Assets" folder in "ufocontent"

This is simple editing. If you have Excel it makes it even faster. All your doing is changing numbers.

EDIT:

Start out changing the number of aliens on the scouts and light scout alien aircraft. I would suggest keeping the total number of aliens below 25.

Adding more than 25 aliens has resulted in my mission score rolling over into -1,300,877 with terrible rating.

EDIT#2

Always make a backup of the original before editing.

Edited by HoboRed

Taco you can edit all the number of aliens in the "Assets" folder in "ufocontent"

This is simple editing. If you have Excel it makes it even faster. All your doing is changing numbers.

EDIT:

Start out changing the number of aliens on the scouts and light scout alien aircraft. I would suggest keeping the total number of aliens below 25.

Adding more than 25 aliens has resulted in my mission score rolling over into -1,300,877 with terrible rating.

EDIT#2

Always make a backup of the original before editing.

I know. But we have to remember that at some point this game is going to be finished, and that when it is finished, it should already have a good size amount of aliens when the UFOs come. The people who play the game shouldn't have to mod the stuff.

The problem is that your ideal version of the game may not match mine.

I may want the air combat to be shorter ranged and involve more micro managing in order to be more interesting while you would prefer to sit back and let them fight on their own.

Ground battles may be more fun for me with a small number of very tough enemies while you prefer a larger number of (relatively) weak ones.

The game is not going to be able to cover every taste or expectation.

Modding the game at this stage to decide what your ideal number of enemies, range of weapons, and so on is only good sense.

Many people will probably want to do the same after release as well to fine tune the experience for their personal preferences.

As a player, I don't care how many aliens they put in the final version as long as I can still edit the file.

That is the best part of Xenonauts. The dev. team has made it very easy to edit the game so everyone can have it their way.

EXAMPLE

I wanted more aliens so I could A) gain experience with soldiers and B) sell alien guns for money.

So I decided to edit the following.

CRAFT

- More alien guards on small and medium craft (so far)

Then I dediced I don't want the alien weapons getting destroyed and thereby losing money. SO I went into weapons_gc and gave 300 HP to all the alien plasma guns (not drone weapons or grenades).

If this was a final version of the game, I could edit everything at the beginning and be done with it. The ability to edit files provides HUGE replay value for this game.

Edited by HoboRed

The problem is that your ideal version of the game may not match mine.

I may want the air combat to be shorter ranged and involve more micro managing in order to be more interesting while you would prefer to sit back and let them fight on their own.

Ground battles may be more fun for me with a small number of very tough enemies while you prefer a larger number of (relatively) weak ones.

The game is not going to be able to cover every taste or expectation.

Modding the game at this stage to decide what your ideal number of enemies, range of weapons, and so on is only good sense.

Many people will probably want to do the same after release as well to fine tune the experience for their personal preferences.

I guess you're right. I just expected the game to be more "X-COM" ish I guess.