TrashMan

Anime

Just finished watching this:

Well, not the AMVs (altough they friggin rock too), but the movie.

Beautifull, artistic and creates the kind of sadness and contemplatetive melanchony that hits you when something hits you with uncomfortable life truths.

WHY THE HELL DO YOU DO THIS TO ME JAPAN?

*opens a tub of ice-cream and re-watches the AMV's a dozen times over*

I need something happy to pick me up.

Like drugs.... or Nichijou.

Or maybe cromartie high:

My god, anime looks stunning these days. It's a shame there's no robots fighting each other (and I was under the impression that was mandatory...)

My god, anime looks stunning these days. It's a shame there's no robots fighting each other (and I was under the impression that was mandatory...)

You will probably like "ghost in the shell" then :P Looks amazing and has lots of robots in it. (hmm looks like there is a sequel and a remake to/of the GitS movie)

But almost all anime movies looks great, at least compared to the weekly anime episodes of the same series. They just put more effort into the movies.

You will probably like "ghost in the shell" then :P Looks amazing and has lots of robots in it. (hmm looks like there is a sequel and a remake to/of the GitS movie)

But almost all anime movies looks great, at least compared to the weekly anime episodes of the same series. They just put more effort into the movies.

Any good places to find it online?

I used to download a lot of fansubbed anime, so I can confirm it's as Gorlom says, all the best work goes into the films. Don't get me wrong, TV series can look good, but it gets awful expensive to add that kind of polish to a series planned to run for 20+ episodes. Incidently, anyone excited that Persona 3 is getting a film?

Heh. Not quite.

In fact, on the of the things that bugs me very much is the wrong perception people have on anime. It's as broad as a media as a movie is, with various genres and animation styles. And it produces just as much crap and masterpieces as any other media.

for example:

(Usagi Drop - a story of a man adopting a illegitimate daughter of a deceased relative)
(Planetes - story of space explotation. Made in collaboration with NASA)
(Legend of Galactic Heroes - despite the triler, there are a LOT and LOT of characters and character development, and politics)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nw9onNnG-U (Monster - Silence of the Lambs mixed with The Fugitive)

And others:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5mulHVo8x8

Etc, etc....

But if you want robots:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPIldPps3wA&feature=player_detailpage#t=1105s

Edited by TrashMan

I've already seen Ghost in the Shell, Gorlom, and I did indeed like it. I've also seen Akira, which was rubbish. I saw Appleseed, which I thought was pretty but fairly average, and then I watched the full series of Evangelion and thought it was awesome (if completely batshit insane).

I'm aware there's other types of anime, but I don't have time to watch any of it...

GitS and Akira are probably the 2 anime movies that are the most famous in the west. :)

I've only seen a few episodes of EVA. some in the start and one or 2 when the show got batshit insane. Since I'm not really a fan of the surreal that kind of turned me away from that anime.

Other animes in the mech genre would be:

Macross (I got to know it as robotech I think)

Gundam

Full Metal Panic

One of my favorite animes has to be "Guyver: Biobooster armour" (It's about an evil company that genetically reengineers humans to be able to turn into monsters at will, and back again, in a plot to take over the world. and a guy with the guyver armour fighting them.)

I saw the first 16 episodes on VHS. the rest was never translated (last I looked) so it kind of just finished in the middle for me. (after introducing a new character) It's possible the anime was never finished on the japan end..

After that I started preferring manga over anime since it always seems I don't get the full story. And filler episodes are a pain as well.

I would recommend Gantz but I think the anime is rather short and I'm not familiar with how it holds up to the manga. The giant robots doesn't come into it until later. It is just magically enhancing spandex suit and scifi weapons fighting against aliens in the start. (with explicit nudity and some disturbing sexual implication appearing midway. you have thusly been warned)

Edited by Gorlom

EVA was god in the begining.

But then it started going more nad more batshit insane..or just plain stupid.

Guyver? Not a fan really.

Macross (the first one) is great. Zero (hadso much promise) and Plus are kinda fine too. The rest are crap.

Like the links Trashman. Agree that Anime is a very broad church, but one I'd happily visit every sunday. I see you've got Bebop Cowboy down for your highest rating - I am with you on that. My God figure is Miyasaki (Porco Rosso, Castle in the Sky, Princesss Minanoki) but he exists in a sub-genre of his own.

Within Anime, I have come across some complete trash but the gems approach the sublime. One of my favourites is Hikaru No-Go. It is about a teenage kid, possessed by the spirit of a Go master who died 800 years earlier. Slow paced, but the character development is incredible. I find I care. They can create tension out of playing a black and white board game, and how characters bounce off each other.

I used to live in Australia in the late 1990s - which (because of its location, I guess) got a lot of the top notch Japanese anime on TV. I saw bits of stuff (one about a new airforce recruit in a post apocalyptic world, into an airforce which no longer knew how to fly) which I've never managed to track down since.

As an antidote for your AMVs - I'd recommend checking out Interseller 555. Its guarenteed to leave me with a smile on my face.

Guyver? Not a fan really.

You've seen Guyver? How much of it? I thought it was kind of hard finding anything when I was looking for it. (The live action movie is absolute crap)

Within Anime, I have come across some complete trash but the gems approach the sublime. One of my favourites is Hikaru No-Go. It is about a teenage kid, possessed by the spirit of a Go master who died 800 years earlier. Slow paced, but the character development is incredible. I find I care. They can create tension out of playing a black and white board game, and how characters bounce off each other.

Why does that remind me of Yu-Gi-Oh?..

Hell, even the character has a two-color hair.

Oh, speaking of Yu-Gi-Oh...you gotta wathc Yu-Gi-Oh abridged. It is hte SHITZ.

Sailor Moon and DBZ abridged are also funny.

And Ghost Stories...the english dub. That thing was produced on crack.

Why does that remind me of Yu-Gi-Oh?..

Hell, even the character has a two-color hair.

Frekky! The hair is definitely the same. Man, but the card game is nuts. I see your moster but my monster is bigger. You thought your new monster was big, now look at my new monster. Call that a monster, this is the real monster. You thought that was a monster, but it was just a pussy cat compared to my new monster. I was actually sacrificing my monster so that I could steal the bastard offspring from all your monsters with combine to make an even bigger monster.

English language manga version of Yu-Gi-Oh seems to have been released prior to Hikaru No-Go, but I can't figure out which was first in Japanese (i.e. which is borrowing hair colour and spiritual possession from the other)

I think both are borrowing the spiritual possession thing. It's not that original idea in Japanese culture/religion.

In contrast western culture thinks of "the exorcist" when they hear about possession, so to us it seems more unique to not be dominated by whatever is possessing you.

I yesterday just finished watching Macross Frontier and I will agree on the Macross series is very good. I plan on watching the other ones sometime soon.

Now to talk about the anime series that I like:

Oban (actually, I think the O was some kindof character) Star Racing. Just finished watching this series recently. Can't remember why I had stopped. I first saw it Jetix a good number of years ago. I was pretty good, but I don't think the show could settle on wether or not it wanted to be mature or for kids. As for the plot, humanity was in the middle of a losing war against some aliens when the mysterious and powerful Avatar shows up and enacts a 10 year peace treaty for all civillizations so they could prepare for the great race, the prize of which is one wish (or so he says) which is bad for the humans because the aliens they were fighting against are also racing in. There are many interesting opponents including magicans, steampunkers, robots, aliens whose own body is their racer, and all other kinds of cool things. Oh yes, and a pirat ship. Don't ask.

Symbionic Titan. I really liked this series, but it got cancelled before the story could be resolved, but it still is a good watch. It has tons of giant aliens fighting a giant robot.

Those are I think the only two animes that I really watched. There is also the whole Avatar airbender series, but I don't really count that.

I yesterday just finished watching Macross Frontier and I will agree on the Macross series is very good. I plan on watching the other ones sometime soon.

Fronteer? Meh.

First one was the best. The rest turn singing into a magical power, have token loli's and stupid plots.

Fronteer? Meh.

First one was the best. The rest turn singing into a magical power, have token loli's and stupid plots.

I want you to watch starzinger! :)