TrashMan

Anime

I watched a bit of anime recently too. I randomly saw a trailer for Knights of Sidonia on Netflix and watched that, which I enjoyed. Kinda kickstarted me watching a bit more anime...with mixed results. Planetes is also very good and worth a watch imo.

Sadly, Gantz I watched about half of before I got bored - I liked the concept but it was too clumsy. I also tried a few more of the big robot series in the hope I'd find something else a bit like Evangelion or Sidonia, but none of Gundam 08 MS Team, Rahxephon, Zegapain, or Fafner in the Azure grabbed me.

However, I've still got Attack on Titan and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex to watch. From what I've seen of both I suspect I'll enjoy them.

I loved the 8th MS team, and..Evangelion I liked, but I also hated at the same time, mostly because I hated Shinji as a protaganist, I get that he was a kid and he was prone to making mistakes, but that doesn't mean that I had to like him.

also, that ending. That, Ending, both the TV and movie ending...

Also, Attack on Titan is awesome, and I still need to watch Ghost in the Shell :stand alone complex.

It actually warms my heart to see so many of my fellow Xenonauts into anime like me, I love Mecha, I love action anime, and I love romance anime too, :D

My favorite one has to be Hellsing Ultimate though, has anyone else seen that? >:D

I really hope they make at least one more season of Attack on Titan. My understanding is the Manga it's based on has a lot more material.

I enjoyed the Full Metal Alchemist series, along with the original Avatar and Legend of Korra -- though I'm now behind on that one..

I guess I'll continue the rest of my post here.

A Certain Scientific Railgun is a spinoff of Index about a recurring character called Railgun, an electromaster, and focuses more on the science side of the setting. I highly recommend this. I liked how this show took a little more time with their stories and actually showed off a little bit of the characters' lives when they aren't doing main story stuff. It gets pretty interesting when it gets into the ethics with cloning, unchecked science, and the struggle of people without powers. Also the 2nd story of season 2 had a lot of mecs in it. It even had a transformer of sorts. I do recommend this more than Index. Not that Index was bad but this was made after Index and it does show in some of the quality.

This clip is from a little bit later in the show but it has a lot of mecs:

Some else already mentioned Hellsing Ultimate and I do recommend it too. The only thing for me that I thought was a little weird was one seen that involved sex, nudity, and a kids dead mother and how the Catholic army looked very similar to the KKK. But it is Japanese so they might not know what that is. Other than that the show is very good and to me at least look gorgeous.

A trailer for the first 4 volumes:

Rail Wars! was an interesting show if you like trains and action. Also a pretty sweet op and ed. Actuall the ed might have been better than the whole show. Show is still pretty good but the song, Overdriver, whew. The first couple of episodes were very good but around ep 4 they started to get a little creepy with one episode some chick managed to lose every piece of clothing. Had a good bit of action though. Supposed to be set in a universe where Japan never privatized their rail system. The main characters are in the railway security department of the government and deal with bomb threats and hijackings.

Opening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEF3Ee9ij4s

Ending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr3j3Ua3iFI

I also did a little watching of Ghost in the Shell Arise. Lovely opening. Do want to watch the new movies. I do recommend to anyone techie.

Trailer for the new movies:

Note your computer is not broken. The clip is supposed to do that.

As for recommendations for what has been said by others:

Attack on Titan was okay for me. Sometimes a little too violent but not that bad. I do think they need another season mainly because not many things happened / got answered in season one and that ending. Not going to spoil anything but that ending was...

I will say for Chris that Terra Formars feels a lot like AoT but set in our future. Also they made people a little bit stronger and the enemies less op. But I might be a little biased because ep 3 or 4 had one team that was sent to Mars land at Cydonia. Really want the alien brain to be sitting in one of the pyramids.

As for more mec things the only one that Chris didn't list that I could think of was Macross (I'd recommend Frontier. Better explanation for why singing affected the aliens. That and good singing.) and some weird show where the bad guys was a race of penguins with reversed tails that looked like erections. Well back to Macross. Pretty good. I really liked it. Tried watching the first recently but it was made in 83 so it's pretty old. The nudity surprised me though. Very random. But I would say Frontier is pretty good.

Also, if you like mecs and steampuck tech with a little noir thrown in I do recommend Korra. I don't know if you'd be into that Chris but it is pretty interesting. When they first introduced mecs in the show though it was so cool. Very unexpected.

TNoyce and Michael may I ask what part of Korra are you on? I am just trying to see what I can say that won't be a spoiler. Also, I just wanted to see how yall liked where this season is going.

Edited by Betuor
Same as the other.

I watched a bit of anime recently too. I randomly saw a trailer for Knights of Sidonia on Netflix and watched that, which I enjoyed. Kinda kickstarted me watching a bit more anime...with mixed results. Planetes is also very good and worth a watch imo.

Agreed on Planetes - I'm always surprised that series doesn't get more love. If you liked that, I'd also strongly recommend the Wings of Honneamise.

As far as giant robots go, A Vision of Escaflowne?

@TNoyce - a second season of Attack on Titan was announced, production was just delayed while the author wrote source material for it.

Edited by Dix

I just went back and put in links to small snipits from some of the shows I mentioned earlier. Also, just to make sure people see it here is the trailer for Korra season 4:

[video=youtube;NCEFMY4TWGw]

Agreed on Planetes - I'm always surprised that series doesn't get more love. If you liked that, I'd also strongly recommend the Wings of Honneamise.

As far as giant robots go, A Vision of Escaflowne?

@TNoyce - a second season of Attack on Titan was announced, production was just delayed while the author wrote source material for it.

Excellent!.. Should be awesome!

It's been a while since I've watched LoK, so I'm not 100% certain where I left off. I CAN tell you that I haven't watched an episode recently, so am probably at least 1 season (book) behind.

It's been a while since I've watched LoK, so I'm not 100% certain where I left off. I CAN tell you that I haven't watched an episode recently, so am probably at least 1 season (book) behind.

It was gotten very interesting. Really good use of the setting.

I recently watched Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion . Very cool Anime

• Steins;Gate
  • Fullmetal Alchemist
  • Clannad: After Story
  • Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
  • Spirited away
  • Mushishi
  • Cowboy Bebop
  • The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
  • Princess Mononoke

This is my little personal list and rating. I love these anime. Each in its own unique genre. 

MOD EDIT: No advertising websites. Do it again and you will be treated as a spammer. 

I should watch more anime but I don't. A couple that I remember liking are 13 kingdoms, mai-hime, uhh....I know there are others. Oh tenshi na konamaiki is funny I think