TrashMan

Anime

I actually saw this while I was in Japan! I only understand about a third of the dialog, but it was very well done. Beautiful art.

Just because I felt like necroing an old thread I just had to say I'm really happy they added a bunch of new anime onto netflix. I'll post some more thoughts once I finish watching them.

Ok, now that I've finished a series, I'll post on a little of what I've watched.

Chrome Shelled Regios: I most recently watched this and it was pretty good. Just got added to Netflix. (it's even in a good English translation) I really like it. It does have a couple of side plots that never get wrapped up. It really needed a second season. It's a mix of fantasy and syfy set in a post=apocalyptic future filled with Contaminoids (bugs/dragons) where everyone lives in roaming cities. Had some really nice characters and fights and was pretty nice looking. Lots of chi effects.

Sword Art Online: Watched the first couple episodes, read a synopsis, and started watching the second story arc. First is set inside a sword mmo after 10,000 kids get stuck in it. Was pretty serious and skipped a lot. Second season is much faster, set in a more fantasy game, and has more people treating it like they're actually playing a video game. I personally liked this season more than the first. They're supposed to be making a second season set in a gun game. Should be interesting. It is on Netflix as well.

.hack//: Quantum: A weird little (3 episodes) set inside a videogame. Has some connection to the other .hack series but can stand on it's on. I really loved the story, it almost made me cry (if you watch, you'll know why), and really got me interested to watch the others. If anyone knows where to find any other of the series in good quality (preferably in English) it'd be much appreciated. I think my favorite part was how they treated this like an actual game. Also on Netflix.

Oban Star Racers: A weird, French anime that originally aired on Jetix (Disney) back in the day. I watched all of it recently and it was very good. Very nice universe. The later episodes get very deep. Nicely crafted. It is a futuristic pod-racer like show.

Macross Frontier: I heard some people didn't like it as much but being the first in the series to watch, I really liked it. I think what got in for me was the setting and the villains. Wish I could find a subbed version of Macross 7 though. Heard that was good.

Yumeria: This was a weird show. It had a team of girls and women, lead by a perv(?), that fought creatures of emotions in the dream realm trying to escape into the really world. Haven't yet finished it but what I've seen so far is pretty good. Can get a little creepy, but still pretty good.

Macross Frontier: I heard some people didn't like it as much but being the first in the series to watch, I really liked it. I think what got in for me was the setting and the villains. Wish I could find a subbed version of Macross 7 though. Heard that was good.

No

No it's not.

It's the worst Macross ever, overflowing with stupid.

You got a rock star flying a robot fighter plane using his guitar as a controls. I'm not BS-ing you.

Go find the original Macross. The first one. Best in the bunch by lightyears. Has the most sensible plot and characters and NO LOLIS.

You got a rock star flying a robot fighter plane using his guitar as a controls. I'm not BS-ing you.

I fail to see the issue :P

Speed Grapher - an older series, initially comes off as monster of the week, but has a surprisingly deep plot and characters. Also has one of the most interesting takes on powers I've seen.

Fairy Tail - pure feel-good fun. Not sure if it counts as a guilty pleasure or not!

Planetes - for any fan of believable sci-fi, highly recommended. Also for the soundtrack.

A Vision of Escaflowne - another oldie, but if you haven't seen it well worth digging up (unless you don't like mechs)

I fail to see the issue :P

You fail to see the issue of using a guitar to fly a jet-fighter transforming mecha in combat?

Or that singing the same crappy J-pop song causes your fighter to do things differently every time?

There is funny and there is stupid.

You fail to see the issue of using a guitar to fly a jet-fighter transforming mecha in combat?

Or that singing the same crappy J-pop song causes your fighter to do things differently every time?

There is funny and there is stupid.

I saw it and I must admit it was stupider than I thought.

Also necroed this thread instead of making another one.

Watched basically every episode released so far for Fairy Tail. Good show. I really like it. Pretty good. Really like the English version. It fits the show. Also, the OVAs are pretty weird. Be warned. They get creepier than the base show. Also, they've about reached the point they are at in the manga so...

A Certain series all have been good. I like how one's magic and one (and now another) is science. They seem to tie into each other really good.

Rail Wars! is way better than an anime about trains should be. The outro/credits is amazing. Also, after episode three, the episodes get indefinitely more creepy.

xxxHolic is pretty good. Not as dirty as the name would make you think. It's about the magically side of addictions and other bad things.

The Devil Is a Part-Timer was a very good show. Mostly a comedy about the ruler coming from a land of magic and winding up in modern-day Tokyo without any magic and having to get a job at MgRonald's to pay the bills. It's very funny. Also the fighting episodes are very good.

Redline is an awesome and crazy movie about racing in the future. Guy races a Transam against other futuristic machines and aliens.

The Legend of Korra is also pretty good if you like something a bit more childish. Has an interesting universe with bending (magic) happening now during a dieselpunk revolution(?). They get mech-tanks invented before planes. Also, it gets less kidish the further it goes along. The first ending was very surprising.

Those are my thoughts for now.

The Devil Is a Part-Timer was a very good show. Mostly a comedy about the ruler coming from a land of magic and winding up in modern-day Tokyo without any magic and having to get a job at MgRonald's to pay the bills. It's very funny. Also the fighting episodes are very good.

It's good

Redline is an awesome and crazy movie about racing in the future. Guy races a Transam against other futuristic machines and aliens.

The plot is stupid as hell, but the animation is nice.

A REALLY good anime?

1391965260107.jpg

fopperyandwhim.jpg

OskarvonReuenthal.jpg

http://www.funnyjunk.com/channel/animemanga/Yang+Wenli+s+Insights+on+Alcohol/hDRnGuQ

http://x1.fjcdn.com/comments/LOGH+is+one+the+best+anime+ever+_62925374efe9246398d86d281a3e4ed2.jpg

http://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1395/09/1395096052669.jpg

I recently got back into anime and seized by nostalgia for Battle of the Planets, I got most of the original Science Team Gatchaman. When I watched it, I was reminded of Ren and Stimpy, in a "they let kids watch this???" kind of way.

Different enough in tone from that edited BotP without the extra violence we got here. Ironically, to make up the time they added in 7 Zark 7 to make up the time, leading to more violent children who just wanted to shut him up.

Trashman...all that reminded me of was Starblazers...

Which I also find completely silly...and in no way think that teh Eval Aliums look extremely alike to WWII-era US military equipment...

Commisar, to look down upon LOGH is to blaspheme against the Emperor!

Report to the Grand Confesor for your arco-flaggelation.

I think not. The total amount of anime viewed by me can be summed up in hours on a single hand.

And I rather think the Emperor would have me using my BEATING STICK on hapless, weak, cowardly heretics than staring at the moving pictures box.

Even the Emperor acknowledges the glory that is animu.

Your desire to serve the Emperor and beat xenos to death is commendable, but remember that humanity is more than just flesh and blood and that the soul needs nurturing too.

*Sighs*

Look, another heretic over there! *points towards an animu hater and Pancakes beats him to death*

Keep doing the Emperors work Commisar.

BEATINGS!!!

[in sing-song voice] I stompz down da heresie 'cuz I eats mah celerie, Am Pancakes da Commissar! TOOT TOOT!

AHAAHAHAHAHAA!!! GAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

if spinach = Gene Seeds, then it fits!

Well, thank you guys, I've just spent half of the day watching these videos.

[video=youtube_share;Dbmm9qBQ_Hc]

Dix, do I LOOK like a testosterone-filled uber-man in fancy-smancy powered armor?

....is there a right answer to this question?

Some more things I've watched recently:

Terra Formars was been pretty good so far. It basically falls under the same ultraviolence category that Attack on Titan is under. The general premise is the Earth in 500 years sends 100 people to Mars to capture some cavemen-esqe roach people so they can fight a disease going around Earth that they can't cultivate. The thing I really like about it so far is they aren't afraid to kill off main characters and they aren't afraid to make some of the characters super powerful. It's kindof hard to explain it without spoiling anything too big. I'm just going to say that each character basically has a power equivalent to the main character's power from AoT but involves less self-mutilation.

Opening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxgBRVt9dHU

One fight about 5 episodes in. Slight spoilers:

Steins;Gate is a very deep show about a microwave that allows people to timetravel. It can be weird at times but once it gets going it's very good. I'm just a few episodes away from finishing but what I've seen so far is very good. It gets very deep with dealing with changing things. Also pretty interesting characters.

One random not very spoiler clip:

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned Fairy Tail before but that is pretty good. On episode 215 or something like that now.

Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero was an interesting idea. I will go ahead and warn people that the show can be pretty dirty at times. It was weird though. It had a scene at the beginning that I thought was going to be dirty but it wasn't so I thought it was going to be okay. Put in a random dirty scene at the end but by that point I was hooked. The basic premise is people from Earth sometimes get sucked into other worlds filled with magic, learn to use magic, and then somehow manage to find their way back to Earth. When they return, most of them are still teens and the governments shove them into special schools that more or less teach them to become soldiers. The main character also brings the daughter of the demon king(?) with him and events ensue. Was a very interesting setting.

Opening:

The Legend of Korra is still pretty good. It has gotten very interesting. Lots of cool technologies including mecs and what I'm pretty sure is going to be a nuke. Also the villain is basically Hitler this season. Very nicely done.

Season 4 trailer:

A Certain Magical Index is pretty interesting. A good premise but I don't like the way they handle most of the stories or eastern religions. Stories seem too quick and the explanations aren't that good in my opinion and I don't really feel like they do a good job when they talk about Catholics or Eastern Orthodox Church. I just feel like they could have done a little bit better there but it does have a very good premise. I like how they put magic in with the high level tech in the show. But I'm still confused why people are so disbelieving in magic when they accept that some people can control people's minds and electricity. But it is good for setting up the next show on my list.

Trailer for the first season. Mainly shows off scenes from the first story arc:

More to come later.

Edited by Betuor
Adding in links to clips.

I watched a bit of anime recently too. I randomly saw a trailer for Knights of Sidonia on Netflix and watched that, which I enjoyed. Kinda kickstarted me watching a bit more anime...with mixed results. Planetes is also very good and worth a watch imo.

Sadly, Gantz I watched about half of before I got bored - I liked the concept but it was too clumsy. I also tried a few more of the big robot series in the hope I'd find something else a bit like Evangelion or Sidonia, but none of Gundam 08 MS Team, Rahxephon, Zegapain, or Fafner in the Azure grabbed me.

However, I've still got Attack on Titan and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex to watch. From what I've seen of both I suspect I'll enjoy them.