TrashMan

Anime

Also, If we did have that mod, would Xenonauts be sexists and only have women pilots or will I see a Chris England up there? On a similar note, would I have to see Uthgard even?

Also, If we did have that mod, would Xenonauts be sexists and only have women pilots or will I see a Chris England up there?

No, but there would be female versions of them. That's who Strike Witches heroines are: basically, 63'd and moefied WW II pilots! Look at their names: Charlotte Yaeger, Gertrud Barkhorn, Sanya Litvyak... :)

EDIT: Dicslaimer: no, I'm not an SW fanatic. :P I think it's an enjoyable series though, with great characters.

The Striker Units are all based on WWII planes, too. In fact, they devote a bit to when Barkhorn is issued the ME-262 Sturmvogel Striker Unit.

As Solarius Scorch said, I'm not really a hardcore fan, but I found the series to be enjoyable. As long as you can get past the pantsu. I actually wish they had taken the enemy more seriously. The Neroi were cool, but sadly mainly treated as a backdrop.

The Striker Units are all based on WWII planes, too. In fact, they devote a bit to when Barkhorn is issued the ME-262 Sturmvogel Striker Unit.

As Solarius Scorch said, I'm not really a hardcore fan, but I found the series to be enjoyable. As long as you can get past the pantsu. I actually wish they had taken the enemy more seriously. The Neroi were cool, but sadly mainly treated as a backdrop.

Yup, I agree with the above entirely.

Also, I wonder how Christine England would be like... :P

Bad pancakes. No more syrup.

Started Attack on Titan.

Shortly after the beginning speed of plot development declined almost to the point of shonen longrun ongoings.

whyy.jpg

Honestly, the only ongoing show worth watching that I know of is Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui!, known to the ignorant masses as Watamote. :P

It's fun to watch a person even more deranged and lame than yourself.

I dropped that series once I learned it was actually a giant robot show.

=) What's wrong with the giant robot show? Decently spiced and stylish, it could be good, but greed has got them.

"OMG we got a decent manga let's do the show" and then they realize the manga couldn't finish it in time and blam! Either plot goes away to the stars or it becames slow like the last episodes of One piece (o horror! o torture!).

Even if i know that the show is good and the base manga is good, i just can't stand watching this stretched brain putty.

Even the last series of Gintama are started to feel like that. (

Watamote.. never heard about it. But i've made my promise not to start ongoings anymore. I could like them and then they'll break my heart.

I wanted them to be awesome and depend on the 3D gear and kill them like that. I wanted to see asskickings. Instead, I get a giant robot and lots of characters I liked being eaten.

Pass!

hey, hey, you can't blame the show for this. It's actually their strong point.

When the cadets take their first fight, i was like you: "They will be awesome now and boxcut dem titans with the 3D gear, and asskickings."

Instead i saw:

a shockingly realistic situation. Panic, rage, rush, and lack of coordination — the soldier's worst enemies took their toll. Besides, the titans was surprisingly fast, and you instantly get the message: unbeliveable death rate of the presumably most elite scouting legion is pretty explainable.

And it was surprisingly good and refreshing, because i've get fed by the bunch of schoolboys always being stronger than regular soldiers and even elites.

Did the Strike Witches leave their trousers at home? I would have thought it would be rather chilly to do all that flying without the appropriate clothing.

Did the Strike Witches leave their trousers at home? I would have thought it would be rather chilly to do all that flying without the appropriate clothing.

They're still young but joint pains will be terrible when they get older.

I just can't abide these Japanese pedo-fantasies which is a shame because I like the premise of the show.

Strike Witches is a fantastic example of pure fan pandering. They know exactly who their niche audience is, and smack it with a moe hammer the size of the Yamato. :)

Despite the rampant pantsu, let's say deliberate angles, and unabashed pandering, I ended up enjoying the show a lot more than I thought I would. It was a fascinating combination of seemingly incompatible elements: girls in their underwear who are World War II era planes, using magic and carrying heavy weaponry. Despite the absolute absurdity, I thought they pulled it off rather well. It's definitely not for everyone.

Vividred Operation is basically the same kind of show. It uses lots of handwavery supertechnology instead directly saying magic. Same director. Just as much pantsu.

On the other hand, there's Girls und Panzer . Another example of weird elements being brought together. It's basically a sports anime with tanks piloted by cute girls competing in non-lethal combat. And no pantsu! I found it to be very fun and lighthearted.

Nods along with Jean-Luc's post. But then, I have related issues with some of French cinema too.

The French cinema has you in its sights John. Or should I say Jean? It's not too late to mend your ways.

Nikita_Parillaud_h2.jpg

So.

Take a hypothetical person.

Let's say that the last manga this hypothetical person read was a combination of Black Butler, Blue Exorcist and Negima, because that's what he can buy, locally.

Let's say that he splashed out to buy Pulp when it was still running, because god damn the manga in that was like nothing Tokyopop or any of the others ever printed. (GTO came close).

But let's say the last anime he watched was.... Tactical Roar.

And he has fond rememberences of such luminaries as El-Hazard and Hellsing. He even owns all the vids of the Guyver and Crying Freeman.

So when it comes to anime, he's pretty much out of the loop.

Where would you start this person? And just as importantly, where could this person get it? Remember: out of the loop.

Gintama is really good. I'd say, on par of GTO, albeit without a proper structured story with an ending (which i tend to appreciate as a rare treasure).

I'd suggest to this person certain list of titles which i believe could entertain even those far from the japanese animation and its tropes:

Cowboy Bebop for being stylishly space western and for the great story balanced with the epicness, action, fear, anger, fun and mystery.

Full metal panic, for the interesting story and for it's second season being one of the best anime comedies i've seen.

Hellsing Ultimate, that was finished not that long ago. Feast for the eyes, wonderful and absurdish, it's the Hellsing at it's best.

Samurai champloo for it's ability to mince and mix the cultures with the hillarious results. It's also balanced very well and full of little wonderful details.

Ghost in the Shell. Cyberpunk with a great deal of philosophy. Standalone complex are great series too.

Afro samurai, because big budget and great production sometimes are falling into the right hands.

Trigun, which is close to the GTO in terms of mood, but far in the setting. Great anime nevertheless.

That's by no means a definitive list, but something to start with instead.

Most of the big studios stream directly (Seraphim Digital and FUNimation). Crunchyroll is best for watching anime subbed, although the quality of their translations is often spotty. The large sites like Netflix and such often stream anime, but it's often only dubbed.

There is of course, the fansub market.

If you are interested in seeing what's available each season, including past seasons, I would check out this site:

http://www.moetron.com/2013/04/24/summer-2013-visual-guide-and-anime-schedule/. They have art from the anime in question along with a brief description.

AnimeNewsNetwork.com is a great resource for anime related news, as well as an extensive database.

MyAnimeList.com is a great fan-driven database.

My recent favorites have been: Sword Art Online (fantasy meets science fiction) and Steins;Gate (time travel done very well).

Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen (Recollection) is perhaps one of the finest anime I've seen in my time. It depicts the war-torn era of the revolution during the Meiji Restoration. The emotion, animation, and story elements are all superb.

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. This a redo of the original series that more closely follows the manga. Very, very good.

Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid, this continues the original story, and has some of the best tension I've seen depicted in anime.

I hesitate to recommend Puella Magi Madoka Magica (despite it being fantastic), because it goes into the magical girl genre and that's not for everyone. It takes the entire concept and turns it on its head. So it depends on what your cuteness resistance (CR) is rated at. Well, before you realize what's really going on, at least.

I recommend Cowboy Bebop even to people who don't like anime (it's that good). If you have not seen it, you should.

If you have a high enough Cuteness Resistance, I highly recommend Kanon 2006 and Clannad (and the sequel, Clannad: After Story), as they are both well done dramas with light fantasy elements. Very emotional stuff. Angel Beats! is another series that is in the same style and is quite good. The original anime in this style is called Air, which is a tear-jerker. So be prepared if you dare!

If you like a good slice of life show that's just about people being people, K-ON! is about a group of high school girls in the light music club. It's very charming and light-hearted, but doesn't have a convoluted plot or high drama. Mostly light comedy. It is, however, from Kyoto Animation, my favorite animation studio (and Seven Arcs, because Nanoha).

Another great show in this genre (slice of life) is Hyouka, which is a about a group of people in the literature club who solve everyday mysteries. Again, Kyoto Animation knocks it out of the park.

Note: some of the shows listed in my post are only available via fansubs, if you want to know more, please PM me)

Lastly, if you have a preferred genre or have some shows that you really liked, I can suggest other shows like them, probably.

Did I mention Sword Art Online? :) I really liked it.

Edited by Ishantil
anime

(...)

I agree with all points (well, on those I'm familiar with anyway). however, I would like to add that if you're not averse to visual novels, I'd really recommend you to play at least Kanon and Clannad - a VN has a bigger impact than an anime, on me at least. I prefer to watch anime later.

I linked my list earlier on page 1, so you check there.

The others reccomendations are good.

Also: Watched the Garden of Worlds. Beautifull as expected.

I haven't delved into playing Visual Novels yet, but the School Days one is supposedly all animated, so it can be subbed. The Steins;Gate one is supposed to be superb.

@TrashMan: I haven't heard of that, is it known by another name?