Going Up! - Elevators

At this point in Alpha I've not really seen any two story UFOs or other alien installations yet. All I've seen are the stairs in the Farm map barns and the metal stairs in the industrial buildings.

Still, I've no doubt they will be in there. After all the original EU1994 gave us ...

ndn5vc.png

2w684xz.png

and apocalypse gave us this one

24on961.png

But considering the huge number of maps that could be modded into the game, is there a possibility that we could have the chance to modify the properties of anything ascending/ descending. For example, to have a number of different elevators, with a property to adjust the AP requirement of each?

So while in EU1994 the AP to use the elevator was 8TUs at all times, could something perhaps be able to delay/ alter this.

Alien UFO Grav Lift - 8AP

Corporate Building - 12AP

Apartment Building - 15AP

v7egw5.jpg

Colonist (Research etc) Facility- 20APs

and of course...

rh1mq8.jpg

Freight Elevator - 30-40AP

This can be extrapolated into climbing directly up a manhole ladder or down and no doubt there are plenty of others.

Just a passing thought.

All I've seen are the stairs in the Farm map barns and the metal stairs in the industrial buildings.

You also could see train cart ladders and some climbable things in jungles

But considering the huge number of maps that could be modded into the game, is there a possibility that we could have the chance to modify the properties of anything ascending/ descending. For example, to have a number of different elevators, with a property to adjust the AP requirement of each?

Currently we have two types of "transporters"

Teleport - immediately transport between two any points (submap properties). AP cost is defined in config and fixed

stairs - animated moving(walking animation) by straight line between any two points with adjustable AP requirement(sprite properties). But moving must be at least slightly diagonal

What you cant to make is moving with your soldiers elevator(and don't think it will be changed). Anything from eu94\apoc already possible(only not sure about to transport vehicles(ferret), I think it's not possible currently) but if we use "stairs" it will looks like soldier "walks" in\on something, not transported. I'm not right.

How sprite of elevator looks is not matter(is this ladder or beam, or painted on the floor arrow)

Edited by zzz1010

Yes, in terms of sprites it shouldn't make any difference. The unit will just be stationary.

I imagine that with huge UFOs still to come, that there will be some elevator mechanic in there. As you say, anything in EU1994/Apoc should be catered for. I was hoping (as always) for a little extra. More awareness is required of time units when moving across different types of area (much like the terrain thread now I think about it). Sometimes, this is quite important.

For example, say you are playing a rather good map with hordes of creatures based on the Aliens movies (thanks zzz1010!). You have just lost half of your squad again, and are retreating back to the Chinook. Now imagine that, instead of being in Gauddlike Industries, you were in a research lab. You have to get to the lift, and the aliens are coming. How long it takes you to get out of that lift becomes very important indeed.

In the movie, a delay in a facility lift resulted in Hicks being incapacitated. A delay in a freight elevator resulted in the Queen getting onto the dropship. The use of terrain to build tension. understated, yet very effective.

As there will eventually be jumpjet suits of armour, I wonder it would be possible to repurpose the code that will handle flight so it can handle other unusual z-axis movement, like elevators. Although the teleporters do suggest that that's kind of been skipped intentionally.

Not need to repurpose something(and jump jet mechanic is much less fit this role - it is arc moving), all is needed is "stairs" without walk animation(it will be absolutly like in old one then ) but as it is now is fine too(it is not) as I said - it can be any two points at any levels, is it will be vertical\horizontal\diagonal moving is not matter: (but moving must be at least slightly diagonal, you can't just change levels or it will crash).

And you already can to define how many aps moving by "stairs" will cost.

If you think about actual elevator than it must be cabin, you call it, it change position with you and unit in starting position can't transport before it will be called back - this is impossible currently and don't think will be implemented. For all other "stairs" is already work

: Not already, but can be easly fixed(need to add checkbox "no anim" and look in code what is make it crash)

It's really to get "old style grav transpoters" but not real lifts

In the movie, a delay in a facility lift resulted in Hicks being incapacitated. A delay in a freight elevator resulted in the Queen getting onto the dropship.

Ap requment is not reproduce it. You need turns delay for calling cabin\moving in cabin or unit with enough APs will be transported immediately but unit who stay with him but have not enough aps will not. With ap req it will be "viscous medium", not elevator dealy.

, that there will be some elevator mechanic in there.

Chris will use "teleport" for ufos

Edited by zzz1010