Messing about with the HeavyWeaponMovePenalty function

Max_Caine

Some weapons are designated heavy. These get a penalty to-hit when the solider carrying a heavy-designated weapon moves. I was wondering what the effects would be on a standard solider, so I spent all of 10 minutes fiddling with the to-hit modifier and trying it out in the field (which was faster for me than working out the calculation, and confirmed in the field what the calculation would have been). Here are my findings.

I used a solider armed with a precision rifle, whose accuracy is 62. I used the highest to-hit for the shot, and the shot was taken within effective range.

Standing still, the to-hit for the shot was 93%

Setting the penalty to 0.50, the hit chance when moving was 46%

Setting the penalty to 0.55, the hit chance when moving was 51%

Setting the penalty to 0.60, the hit chance when moving was 55%

Setting the penalty to 0.65, the hit chance when moving was 60%

Setting the penalty to 0.70, the hit chance when moving was 65%

Interesting to see that when applying the penalty, it always rounds down.

This topic has two values.

The first: If I know nothing about modding the game, but want to get into it, I can see at an easy glance the general effect of changing up that particular parameter.

The second: If I get sucked into an argument about balance, I have a ready-to-hand reference chart.

What would be handy is someone to walk through how the to-hit calculation works - an actual example. That'd be handy to go in the wiki, tbh.