New Geoscape UI preview!

Chris

I did some research into this (I can't find the post I made). Basically, the data that shows an accurate lightmap of night-time earth as in 1979 exists, through declassified US satelite (sp.) photos. And it costs money to get. A lot of money. Of course, a lightmap could just be made up. Then someone would complain it's not accurate.

To put this into perspective. A dude Hulked-out because the Philippines had been left off the geoscape map thanks to an error with Photoshop. Seriously, the way the guy was going on, Chris had intentionally done it just to put a stain on the honour of his country. You can sure as hell bet that if there was a nightlight map, people would be looking for their home town. And if it wasn't there, they'd be "WTF?". The only defence would be "this is a genuine night-time map of the Earth, 1979". Too much hassle.

I love the new geoscape! Here's why:

When I think about Xenonauts, it's cold war. So it has a bit of retro theme to it. This makes me think of a real map with a bit washed out colours. Not some digital map from the Matrix like old geoscape was. New geoscape looks pretty much like the one I would imagine. Colours look just fine, at least on my current monitor.

Maybe I would make night a bit darker and I like the idea of city lights. But these are small details. Good work on unifying the game art!

• 1 month later...

I like it just the way it is tone wise with the new UI background you are working on. At first I was thinking it should be brighter but we are looking from a far off distance where colors slightly fade. I think if looks much better than the dismal black. The way it is now it looks something like that space invaders screen shot Chollirem put up. Blah!!

Edited by windex

• 3 months later...

Any chance we could get an option to keep the dot matrix effect on the geoscape? I like that a lot, so much so that I grabbed a screeny and use it as my desktop background now. It would be a shame to lose the effect as its very well done.

Thanks to your screenshots, i've found out that you actually can zoom in the Geoscape. I had no idea.

Also, i've kinda noticed a small factual error: Ekaterinburg (Russia) was called Sverdlovsk and St. Petersburg was Leningrad back in 1979. Sure, no big deal, as you kind of explore "alternative history" theme here, but i think it isn't too hard to fix this.

Just saw this update just now. Love the new UI, I think it would work a lot better than the present one, plus it looks much cleaner than the one in game at this time is.

I have noticed when you have done research for weapons ie alien weapons you cant select that for your own men ?.

Ok some points i have noticed.

The alien with the big scarey looking claws out of the shoulders purple figure. Anyways it can approach your players but it doesnt kill anyone, Is this going to be happy go in next big live patch ?.

Some aliens get stuck in the far West Of open Fields map in that small squire field just out of range from everything else.

Aliens have a little too much accuracy shooting from out of the player field of vision or fog of war.

When being attacked by the aliens when you have run out of everything and can no longer attack the aliens with any given ship and they attack you in base. If you place any of your squad in the upper right hand corner surrounded by bunker's they can get stuck in a wall and its impossible to move them.

I would really love to get my hands on those alien armor as well as when you finally research it, your own people are not able to ware any of those as well.

Good luck for the next update guys. thanks for the new screens and yes they are looking WAY better than before. :)

You can pick enemy weapons up in ground combat but they are hugely inaccurate and cannot be reloaded.

The game auto sells them as Xenonauts wanted to focus more on developing your own weapons rather than using the enemies own against them.

Not really a geoscape UI thing, more of a game design decision.

The beta discussion forum is the best place for a feedback thread at the moment.

More fun if you can't really use them att all due to aliens hands being totally different and this making it hopeless awkward to try and fire it. I guess that's the idea, and that's why we develop our own weapons.

Edited by Wintermist
Typo

My only issue with this new map is that it removes the grid effect, I really like the grid effect of the map as it makes it more military themed and immersive. On that note, I would suggest that it be a toggle in the options menu for those who prefer it with or without a grid effect.

The new interface meshes better with with rest of the presentation. For continuity/immersion I think it is probably a better choice. I will really miss the early display though. Thematically it feels more appropriate. As a period piece the near monochromatic "sort of doppler" feels like a military display. If the game were set in the 40's it would be like giving the plotters and their shuffle rods their walking papers. The rest may match but the intercepts will remain a disconnect. There was a symmetry there that you will lose unless you intend on changing that UI as well.