New Geoscape UI preview!

Chris

The new UI is presented as though you are looking at it from the command room displayed on the wall with terminals in front. In the ground assault that map is on a table. My suggestion is to change the graphs on the wall to a world map. Then when players are doing a base invasion mission, it adds a level of realism. Hopefully a quick and cheap change!

That would only be a problem if you cannot look at anything but maps on the main monitor in the command centre.

If there is a graph screen planned for funding, nation relations, alien activity or whatever then that could be what is displayed.

A large map displaying the locations of all your bases and troop movements in one easy location is probably a bad idea in any base that has been penetrated by the enemy.

I'm pretty sure the British islands outside south Americas southern point (Falkland islands) is missing too :P

Isle of man seems to be back though...

Sinking islands to stop political conflicts is not a good solution. Bad Xenonauts! We should never have put them in charge after the alien invasion.

I thought that this thread was going to be like a poll or something, if we have half of the people saying they like, and the other that they don't like, aren't guys supposed to be changing something? Cause there's no point in opening a thread and asking "what do you think? Suggestions??" And when people say they don't like or it needs to change this and that, than you say "ah you guys are gonna get used to it", so, it's more like shoving down our throats, right?

(i'm not being a douche, I love you Chris)

This post is in the updates, not the suggestions or community involvement forums.

Chris also asks for comments and feedback in his first post, not suggestions.

Incidentally I just did a quick count and I make the numbers around 22 likes and 7 dislikes.

The dislikes are also split between the theme being less dark and some of the colours not looking right.

Not all that close to the 50/50 split you were expecting :)

*edit* I didn't include complaints about missing islands, I don't know if the map corrections Chris has mentioned have been used to generate the preview image or not.

Hmmm I like that the style is consistent with the other new UIs and the functionality better, but I do think it could do with being darkened a bit (the ocean in particular, even if the old black ocean was a bit severe).

Any there any plans for it to change over time as the tech level improves, as I think was being planned for some of the other UIs?

I'm less concerned with the pretty pictures, and more concerned that it's easy to conduct geoscape operations. I want to be able to direct multiple aircraft without having to zoom in to the max and make fiddly 1-pixel-perfect clicks. I want adequate, if reasonably vague, information about aircraft, UFOs, ground mission sites, bases and other what have you when I do zoom in.

I understand what people are saying, but you can't please everyone. these are just pictures of what could be, There might be a day-night cycle, (which would make it even more scary for the night missions.) What would you rather have? something slightly more realistic with light and dark elements? or just darkness all the time?