Xenonaut Base Progress

Aaron

I hate to bring this up again, but I really wonder how it plays out if there are no corridors in the base.

I guess the base is not in 17.5, right? I really would like to test it. It also raises the question if the alien base has corridors. This added a lot to the claustrophobic feeling when you got there in the original.

Well since they need to destroy your central command, Ive already tweaked my base so theirs only 1 way into the command through a radar room, but it would be cool if the alien base's had "kill zones" build into them that the aliens would use, kinda like I have prepped to used against them in mine : )

If the enemy can spawn on any outside edge of your base then surely you wouldn't want your command centre to have uncovered edges?

If only one edge of your command centre is covered by another building then that means the aliens have three sides they could breach into without needing to cover any additional ground.

Or did I miss something and the command centre is exempt from that?

I hate to bring this up again, but I really wonder how it plays out if there are no corridors in the base.

I guess the base is not in 17.5, right? I really would like to test it. It also raises the question if the alien base has corridors. This added a lot to the claustrophobic feeling when you got there in the original.

The alien base doesn't have to follow the same rules as the human base, we don't have a map that it needs to reflect.

It wasn't necessarily corridors that gave the claustrophobia but the reduced lines of sight and chance of an enemy round every corner.

That could be just as easy to do with rooms connected directly, as long as the rooms have internal layouts that are conducive to the claustrophobic effect.

Edited by Gauddlike

If that's the case then I will figure out a different arrangement of buildings, based on cover. Radar Array's and Missle's make good "Kill Rooms" where you can funnel the aliens.

I also read about aliens spawning "on any outside edge of your base" but are you sure it's not referring to the whole base, but not the outside edge of any building within? Or both, the outside edge of base and buildings within?

I am assuming it is any room edge not connected to another room but there could be other rules Chris has not mentioned.

If that is the case the best defence is to have all sides of your command centre connected.

If the command centre is immune then the best defence is having as few sides as possible connected.

If only the outside of the base is vulnerable then having a single side connected, and surrounding it with other buildings would work well.

I was just curious if people knew which was correct when they stated they were building based with the command centre open.

Wasn't sure if I had missed a bit of information or a hint somewhere ;)

The image shows the breaches around the edge of the base but that is only a single sample image, an image that also doesn't have any open spaces between buildings that could provide other breach points.

Have to wait and see what Chris says about it.

LMAO!

Is it cheating or just good strategy?

Knowing how and where the aliens spawn during base missions = cheating

Knowing that my command room is most vital and therefore placing certian rooms together = strategy.

Besides that, I'm giving up 4-5 tiles of building space. That's quite a sacrifice for better defense. It all comes at a price.

Edited by HoboRed

This is pretty awesome... first few times i saw screens from this game, I was unsure what i thought of the art style.

I think I have come to enjoy and appreciate the simple and clean look alot since then, it gives it a very "oldschool" look and feel but made to todays resolution. It fits the game very well. =)

Playing the alpha when it works is a blast and I can't wait to get some more time with it. Especially now that I have finished Xcom:EU 1.5x already, and while I still enjoy that game for its clean and smooth gameplay that is just FUN and very streamlined compared to many turn based games, it is fairly static and will go the same way every time with only a few exceptions.

I will be happy to sink some more time into Xenonauts with all of its wonderful depth and detail. =)

Have a good one and keep up the good work!