Xenonaut Base Progress

Aaron

Hi all. It's been a little while since I posted an update, and that is mainly because I've been working on one very big job - creating all the tiles for the Xenonauts base, to be used during base defence missions.

Chris has already posted up a few preview shots of the base using some mock-ups I made, but now that everything is running in the game I wanted to give you a look at more of the base. Here's a few (HUD-cropped) screenshots to get started:

Radar, storeroom and workshop

Command centre, medical wards and laboratory

Hangars and living quarters

And the following is a stitched together image I made manually showing the entire base, in the default layout as it exists right now. You can also see how our alien breaching system works, with multiple alien pods breaching the base at different points. These will be hidden from the player to increase the tension. Do note though that the graphics for the alien pod breaches are place-holders which will be replaced soon enough.

Screenshot of complete base (About 3 MB in size).

In addition to the base I have been steadily working on props to fill out the other tilesets, and here are a few of those:

news_paper_stand_se.jpg

weather_radar.png

haybales_tall_4.jpg

shack_se.jpg

bench_se.png

(Click for game size)

news_paper_stand_se.jpg

weather_radar.png

haybales_tall_4.jpg

shack_se.jpg

bench_se.png

news_paper_stand_se.jpg.c0664e88e3d13ee7

weather_radar.png.4387b75d7136111869f271

haybales_tall_4.jpg.d2d55d5e9dab70ef046b

shack_se.jpg.6710c22ccd7fa66066c10c84e4d

bench_se.png.215d30d38fbba97234447caa4ec

wow! great art.

all the little details - the map that replicates the one from the menu, the sandbags outside the command centre, old computers the gun racks... and on and on. Oh, and the alien shaped target form a previous image too was a nice touch.

Edited by thothkins

Can we create base maps for use by the game?

More correct to say "room maps" because "base map" you create when you build base. I think this rooms is regular submaps, and it can be can be customised and randomised.

I notice there no aircrafts can present anymore(or i'm wrong?), but i'm fine with that.

I also notice sci\med rooms didn't have "AO"(if you understand what i mean) and look more plain and flat then other rooms. I also think it will be better idea to make such shading to be part of wall(like you make with props), not floor it will make things more flexible and, how to say this, destruction frendly(i'm not about just base), not sure is it will work good but worth of try.

Overall it reminds me old fallout\crusader(you know,"no remorse\regret"), I'm say it as something "feels good " not mean something "looks archaic"

Edited by zzz1010

Are the props 3D model going to be painted over by hand or has that already been done? (Something about the dimensions buggs me with the sandbags)

All the props look really good but I assume that they haven't been finalized since they feel a bit off to me?

How does the double wall sections (that separate 2 rooms) work when being shot at /destroyed ? Are they indestructible? Does the "wall panel" fall away to reveal empty space between the walls? Does it fall away to reveal concrete filled space? does half of the space get destroyed along with the corresponding "wall panel"? Or does the whole segment get destroyed all at once?

Hi all, thanks for the kind comments - To be absolutely clear everything in the big screenshot is rendered in the game, but the shot itself was assembled by me stitching together lots of smaller screenshots of the base.

To answer some questions:

Base layouts will reflect the base as you have built it. The layout you see there is the current new base default, which will probably change.

Additionally most rooms have 2 layouts that the game will randomly choose between; if you look at the hangars in the big screenshot you can see and example of this. It is easy for us (or anybody) to add more later.

Aircraft are considered to have been launched at the first sign of the aliens breaching the base, so hangars will always be empty.

All these props are still the raw renders, they will be painted over before being finalised.

Double walls are indestructible, though interior walls within rooms will be destructible.

In the original XCOM all the crafts had VTOL ability and hangars were really huge. So a simple assumption of top of the hangar being a huge blast door was enough to get a grasp on how the crafts take-off/land. But here in Xenonauts we are using non-vtol MIGs and Fs, so how do planes get out of them? I see no elevators/large doors on hangar layouts...