Accurate representations of real world military equipment

shabowie

I was thinking of a standardized battery. If you only have one size then the only thing that can change is how many shots you get out of it which would depend on the weapon not the battery.

Yes, but if you need to change the battery after X shots in one weapon and 1.5X in another weapon, after you have fired 3X shots (and reloaded after that) you will have spent 3Y AP on reloads with the first weapon and 2Y AP oon reloading the second. (where Y= reloading a standard battery). The less AP you have to spend on reloading it the more useful the weapon (assuming damage and accuracy stays the same) So it needs to be considered in the balance imo.

What I'm trying to say is that doing it this way is essentially balancing by changing the AP cost for reloading the weapon. It's just another way to go about it but the effect is the same.

And I approve of it. I think it is a good and useful way to balance things over a longer span than just firing one shot. I'm just commenting on it since you commented on that weapon balance should only be done through accuracy and damage. (If I understood you right)

Yes, but if you need to change the battery after X shots in one weapon and 1.5X in another weapon, after you have fired 3X shots (and reloaded after that) you will have spent 3Y AP on reloads with the first weapon and 2Y AP oon reloading the second. (where Y= reloading a standard battery). The less AP you have to spend on reloading it the more useful the weapon (assuming damage and accuracy stays the same) So it needs to be considered in the balance imo.

What I'm trying to say is that doing it this way is essentially balancing by changing the AP cost for reloading the weapon. It's just another way to go about it but the effect is the same.

And I approve of it. I think it is a good and useful way to balance things over a longer span than just firing one shot. I'm just commenting on it since you commented on that weapon balance should only be done through accuracy and damage. (If I understood you right)

I get it now. Yes, I suppose in a way that would somewhat balance the larger weapons. Although, it certainly is logical not some whim to just change numbers. However, it certainly isn't an intentional way to achieve balance, it's just the laws of physics. There is nothing to prevent the introduction of larger or smaller batteries that better match the needs of the soldiers using the weapon. My main reason for thinking a standard batttery is that it has a lot of advantages in the field. Just like standard ammo. If you can grab a battery from anyone that is an advantage in combat.

Remember as well that just because the battery is the same and the electrical connections are the same it doesn't mean the reload speed will be exactly the same.

A pistol for example is balanced to be held in one hand so reloading with the other would be very simple while a hefty machine gun sized weapon may require resting on the ground in order to free up the off hand for reloading.

How about the lasers just have unlimited ammo?

How does that fix anything? (Just removes a balancing element from the second tier and means that accuracy and damage needs to be lowered to be balanced to the other tiers) And wouldn't you still get the problem in tier 3 and 4?

Doesn't seem to be likely in any event since Goldhawk has already spent resources on art for the ammo (battery) for lazers.

Edited by Gorlom

How does that fix anything? (Just removes a balancing element from the second tier and means that accuracy and damage needs to be lowered to be balanced to the other tiers) And wouldn't you still get the problem in tier 3 and 4?

Doesn't seem to be likely in any event since Goldhawk has already spent resources on art for the ammo (battery) for lazers.

Do they have art for sharks with lasers on their heads?

DE.jpg

DE.jpg

DE.jpg.9dd0f057bd519cbe060c9dcf6604e0ad.

All of the higher tier weapons seem to use a standard reload (within that tier) so it is only the ballistic tier that relies on individual ammunition.

They do currently have different reload costs as well, lighter weapons have lower costs, possibly to reflect they are easier to handle.