The new Guy :P and a warning to the developer of this game...

Yup i saw the new guy thread and i made another one ;p (Yes bad form i know but its the internets...)

So just thought i'd say hello to the community as i've heard quite a bit about this new fangled Xeno...whatever its called and just like to say Hi to everyone.

I like the OG Xcom, and i do actually enjoy the NG from Fraxis, although i'll be the first to admit it feels a little bit...i dunno lacking in certain areas.

I for one beleive its because of DLC's since this is apparently the new business model in the industry. And i don't like it. I want to buy a complete game and not get nickled and dimed to death for extra content that should have been included in the base price...Im looking at you Elite Soldier Pack/Slingshot...and whatever other goodies Fraxis intends to sell me...which i'll probably purchase anyway as i have a good job and such, but its the principle of the matter, which leaves a bad taste in my mouth...anways...

To the "Warning"

Don't try to sell me extra content like a few maps and painting my armor a different color if you were going to put that crap in this game do it now when i buy the darn game. I want my to feel like im buying a complete game, not some hodge podge of heres the game...oh wait we forgot to give you some maps...oh wait you like customization well here now buy this...oh wait you wanted to go to mars...well buy this now...ect ect add nausiem.

If you don't try to nickle and dime me and if your game is good...(your alpha build is downloading as we speak)...I will have no trouble buying "REAL EXPANSION PACKS!!!" like it was in the good old days before this DLC crap started to take shape.

Some people say i have an abrassive personality...if i cared, i'd say they might be right ;P

Anyways from what ive read and seen this game holds promise...its time to blind me with bull$hit and then dazzle me with your brilliance...if you can...(BTW your graphics look a little gehtto from the screen shots your gameplay best be brilliant)

PS I paid the 30 dollars for the "Premium Version" so you have to listen to me rant now :P ROFL...or not, but you do so at your own risk.

Belgerath

Xenonauts is highly moddable and Goldhawk provides map making tools. It is unlikely that there will be anything Goldhawk can nickle and dime you on that modders can't provide for free. (pretty sure that Chris is against "all hats, no content"-DLC)

I'm not suew which screenshots you think look ghetto, or what you even mean by that, but I absolutely adore the aesthetic choice to go 2D and consider this game to be by far better looking than any other x-com like. Especially the Firaxis XCOM.

I don't know the graphics looked really I dunno cartoony?

not that I care too much if the gameplay is good. I've only

seen a few screens before I bought the game as I like to

spend my monies on stuff and things it's downloading now

I hope it's good

posted with my iPhone while I have a smoke in my garage

as my wife won't let me smoke in the house :(

You probably won't see cosmetic DLC as the engine makes that a pain in the ass. I honestly don't see the problem with new XCOM being DLC, the game wasn't flawed due to having not enough hats, armor colors, and custom missions, but the architecture/design problems that Gollop mentioned here: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/3782-Julian-Gollop-mentions-Xenonauts-and-what-he-thinks-of-XCOM-remake

As an aside, if you enjoy being abrasive that's your call, but ideas won't generally be received as well so it's kind of counter productive. Also pre-ordering a game doesn't give any obligations aside from delivering the products specified. I personally agree that most DLC is bullshit fwiw.

Belgarath, be aware the game is currently in alpha and is far from done. Don't be surprised if the game crashes. Frequently. I advise you to check the bug forum - people may have found workarounds to problems. In addition Chris has opened a thread for people who are having difficulty starting the game, with workarounds suggested. Other than that, enjoy the alpha! You can get as far as the 2nd tier of technology so far. If you have problems with the air war, check threads on this forum for advice on air combat.

PS I paid the 30 dollars for the "Premium Version" so you have to listen to me rant now :P ROFL...or not, but you do so at your own risk.

You know, you could rant for free as much as you like. The "risk" for Goldhawk doesn't exist if you paid up already.

And the whole DLC / expansion thing is a very dead horse. They are the same thing. The only thing that matter if it's worth it to you. Since you said that you'll probably buy the next XCOM DLC, that means it's worth it to you so it's all good.

Oh, and BTW: Don't forget to rant on the Firaxis forum. It's free, too.

Since we get to see a lot of the development steps here, I think we'd have a pretty good idea if we were about to miss out on something only to see it packaged in a DLC.

That Xenonauts is a re imagining of X-Com means that there's a pretty firm template in place as to what the mechanics of the game should be.

So, with that in mind., if Goldhawk were to release DLC on top of that then I'd definitely buy it. It's a game I like. I'll have received a hopefully functional and complete game initially. Why wouldn't I want more content?

Totally take the points about being nickel and dimed just to get to a point where you think the game is half decent. However, half decent can be pretty subjective. Don't think it's at all likely to apply here. In the end though, the only way to prevent companies doing it , is to simply not buy it surely?

I don't understand why people have a problem with DLC.

My only issue is when the price doesn't reflect the content, but that is the same with full games as well.

If someone goes to the effort of adding a new quest line to an RPG I like and offers it (important part there, you don't HAVE to have it) for a reasonable price then I would consider buying it.

If they wanted the cost of a full game for a small amount of bonus content then I would not be interested.

A new skin for the Xenonauts basic armour?

Offer me it for 50p or £1 and I would be tempted.

Set the price to £10 and I would walk away.

An expansion pack is just a DLC collection to me.

The expansion would be cheaper overall if you want everything but the DLC allows you to pick and choose.

Expansion:

The reaper queen arrives in reaper hive bases to provide a new challenge to your troops.

To combat this you can develop two new types of armour, a new weapon, and new vehicle.

DLC types:

A new vehicle.

A new weapon (not just a variation of an existing one)

New scout and heavy armour tier.

New alien.

New tileset

I'm expecting 10$ day 1 DLC containing an alien soldier to fight on the Xenonaut team (with his own unique alien blaster). He is the last surviving member of an alien race that used to fight the alien empire that is attacking Earth now. He was in stasis inside his escape pod until it crashed on our planet during the Roswell Incident. But now he's back to chew bubblegum and kick other-alien ass and he's all outta gum.

Predicted DLC title: Xeno-Xenonaut

My problem with DLC is when AAA studios genuinely chop out bits of the game and release it as a day1 / preorder DLC in order to combat piracy and/or used sales. The elite soldier pack in XCOM2012 falls into this imho, whereas Slingshot is just a little disappointing. Dragon Age, Mass Effect, etc have had questionable uses of DLC.

These days I mostly just wait for it to go on sale on steam and/or wait for the GOTY edition - I enjoyed the DLC in Borderlands 1, but I wouldn't have spent $40 total on it. :)

I don't see how would day-1 DLC help combat piracy, it just gets cracked together with the game.

What happens is that a legit customer has to pick between 5 different complementary pre-order packs and 2 premium packs, plus pay extra for a day 1 DLC, while the pirated game comes complete with all 7 preorders and the DLC.

I actually dl'ed a pirated FONV pack when I realized that my Classic Pack was a bunch of reused models from the stock game and a canteen for cheating the already-optional HC mode. Plus, for a second-third-fourth playthrough, I would always prefer a different pack just for variety's sake.

It is a good idea though, just bad implementation. But day-1 DLC that don't come complementary is just nickel-and-diming your customers. Especially in the age of digital distribution when you don't have an excuse about discs and snail shipping.

I personally don't think it's effective, but that's part of the logic. Having content that is tied to a code when you purchase the game happens on consoles, so if you resell the game you're leaving a chunk out. Likewise having day1 DLC is to encourage pre-orders, e.g. Fallout and ME have tons of different little packs spread out among distribution channels. It's a mess.

It's quite possible the bigger distributors may insist on a different DLC pack to their competitors to pull sales their way, especially for new franchise contendors or old franchises that don't have quite as much pull as they may have done. After all, with physical product lead times would mean ordering would be best done well in advance, before the game even gets to reviews so distributors would like something more than "it'll be good, honest!".

Well, it does discourage used game sales somewhat.

BTW, I think are shooting themselves in the foot when using DRM specifically to prohibit game resale. It makes people even more cautions about buying a game

And yeah, ME is the worst offender. At least Bethesda games have it all released in a GOTY edition half a year later. The only way to get a complete pack of any ME game, however, is from pirates.

It certainly doesn't help the fight against piracy when you still have reason to DL a pirate copy even after you buy the game and all extra content offered.

Im confused.you argue that dlc packs are bad but you still buy them. is that wat abrassive means? sounds more like hypocrite. not a personality disorder though. good you buy the game still because i dont have to buy it yet. i made my friends buy it though hehehehe :)