It’s probably because we British use both imperial and metric here. So it’s not that strange to see both types as we are used to seeing it. For example we would use metric cm and meters for small measurements but we use miles for large distance. in fact if you told someone here something was 5km away, you probably be asked how far was that in miles. yet if you told someone something was 14 inches, you be asked how many cm that was.

We are a strange nation.

Edited by radister

The chain is actually a measurement of distance, although for the life of me I cannot remember how far it is (and using Google would be cheating). 22 feet, maybe? Same length as the wicket area in cricket? And then you get rods and furlongs and my brain starts dripping from my ears.

Although it hindsight i can see the Chain-Dalton-Jiffy system doesn't exisit, it still didn't stop me from trying too look it up in google for the slim chance it was real.

It did not exist before that post was written. But all you need for a system are three units, the rest falls into place automatically in kg-m-s pattern. So it exists now, we just need to name some units after the devs.

Speed is chains per jiffy, radioactivity is inverse jiffies, gravitation is cubic chains per dalton per square jiffy.

in fact if you told someone here something was 5km away, you probably be asked how far was that in miles.

That's easy to answer. It's just as far.

And yes, the british are strange. They have 2 metric feet.

As far as the game goes, I don't really care. In the game all distances / ranges / speeds are pretty much made-up numbers that will be adjusted during game balancing. =)

Personally, I favour the RockPaperShotgun/PCGamer method of measuring things in Peggles.

However, as I'm British and currently working in a shop that sells china/stonewear and furniture amongst other things, I will happily accept concurrent use of both metric and Imperial as I often end up flitting between the two during single a single conversation with customers.

It's also quite suprising just how particular some people can be about the size of their dinner plates.

The mix and match is totally realistic.

I'm in NZ here, where everything is metric. Except if you ask someone their height, the will say it in feet.

Anyway, on aircraft that I work on there is a mix everywhere. My current helicopter is all imperial airframe, but metric engine. A jet I used to work on was metric airframe, imperial engine, with some british-whitworth stuff thrown in on pipelines. This is mostly spanner sizes I am talking here, but the point is that different systems get used by the one organisation all the time.

It’s probably because we British use both imperial and metric here. So it’s not that strange to see both types as we are used to seeing it. For example we would use metric cm and meters for small measurements but we use miles for large distance. in fact if you told someone here something was 5km away, you probably be asked how far was that in miles. yet if you told someone something was 14 inches, you be asked how many cm that was.

We are a strange nation.

Since the game is based on (Pseudo-)Science, and Scientists use metric systems (it's even based on the metric System), so I suggest using the metric system.

however, for people not used to the metric system, there might be some need for a possibility to change between metric and imperial systems

• 2 weeks later...

I'm imperial for some measurements but not others, depending on the subject/ who I'm talking to.*

Temperature is Fahrenheit for hot weather but Celsius for cold.

Currency varies depending on which country or how I'm haggling.

Heights and weights also change system depending on circumstances. Anything health related will be metric. Anything DIY won;t be.

Cooking switches effortlessly between both systems every two minutes, with the added measurement system of teaspoons, tablespoons, and dollops.

*works pretty well, if you ignore that space telescope plummeting from the skies due to a slight misunderstanding. Don't look up, just ignore it please.