Build V17.5 Planned!

I may sound negative but I read many people getting all hyped up whenever an update is about to be released. They imagine they're going to be able to play the game from A to Z flawlessly and of course, they come back 3 hours later and complain because an invisible civilian tried to jump over a fence.

Cool down guys, this is an engine update of an alpha build. The kind of update that is more likely to decrease stability. Of course the new UI is awesome but unless you love bug reporting there's really nothing to be excited about.

Cool down guys, this is an engine update of an alpha build. The kind of update that is more likely to decrease stability. Of course the new UI is awesome but unless you love bug reporting there's really nothing to be excited about.

You're just making me more excited. Stop that.

I know, let's install some kind of trojan in Chris' computer so we can monitor his actions and be veeeeery cloooose to him.

But seriously, there is a times when everything sucks, and bunch of a people in the forums are impatiently requesting some news. And you just cant go and tell them to shut up.

Well i hope it's not that bad and Chris just forgot about us a little, because he is a busy man and he has a life and a Christmas is coming.. It's okay. Take your time. We will wait.

We've waited for so long since the last good X-Com. We'll wait a little more. Right?

Regarding the roof Auto hide, please don't make the same issue that the OTHER game currently out on the market made. In that, when their soldiers are on level 2 of a structure, the ceiling/floor of the next level will routinely auto appear, obscuring the soldiers and their valid movements. This is a PITA in that game and generally is a game breaker in a lot of instances.

All in all, this looks to be a superior game to that one. Thanks Chris and everyone working on it. I am very excited about it's release.

Coding has been veeeery slow this week. I'll do a dev update tomorrow and provide some more details of what's going on.

Ah yes, the well known phrase "WHYYYYY won't you work, you bastard! I put it back exactly what it was before fixing the bug, and now the piece of crap won't even compile!"

Technically speaking I remember back when I first pre-ordered there was a fairly plain as day statement on the purchace page saying (and I'm paraphrasing here) "I see no way that Xenonauts will not be finished by the 4th quarter of 2012 (it might have even been 2011). If it is not, I'll be giving out refunds to everyone who purchased it."

Heck the Rock Paper Shotgun article that first pointed me in the direction of Xenonauts had a release date of Q4 of 2010. That was April 15th of 2010. I pre-ordered that same day. I suppose I could bitch and moan about how Chris missed that release date but I'm a million times happier with how Xenonauts is turning out now than I ever imagined it would be 2 years ago.

Things change.

...At the moment we're making some pretty substantial changes to the Level Editor to the point where the game just doesn't support the old maps and the old tile setup any more...

Updated Level Editor: The new level editor should make it MUCH easier to generate levels. We're implementing a system where you can stack sub-maps on top of each other in different layers, with empty ground tiles being read from the sub-maps below.

Essentially this will just let you paint a massive area as a field, and then easily paint trees or props or walls or even buildings on top of it and not have to worry about the underlying ground tiles fitting together. The Sub-Map editor is still a bit of a monster to deal with, but the Level Editor should make generation of new maps child's play. We're releasing it early simply because it's not backwards compatible at all.

Seems almost like... http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/2076-Random-asset-hotspots

Glad to see it happen though. Should make consecutive map plays significantly less monotonous.

Imperialus - yeah, I remember that actually. I literally couldn't imagine a situation where we'd possibly not have finished the game by the end of 2012. Making games was gonna be easy, right?

All those guys in the AAA studios who took ages making games, that was because they weren't me and didn't know all the cool stuff that I did! Noobs!

As I said, dev update will come today. In short, the major problem is that we foolishly didn't branch the code before we started implementing the new Geoscape UI so we have to finish the bit we're working on before we can release the next build.

Bah its just that he promised a timeframe, had he sayd in the next few weeks noone would have expected it so fast..

But anyway teasing and giving news is part of the game, the art is how much and how

It's funny. You post like you know the game, and yet balk at the implementation of the same game. I am sure that if Chris "Promised" any kind of a release date it was with the caveat and understanding that any dates were tentative until it was actually released.

The fact that Chris is so transparent about what is going on is significantly refreshing to me as compared to a lot of publishers who will post a release date, miss it and say nothing for weeks or months afterwards. Or worse yet, lie directly to the public. Or even worse still, release partially done crap merely to shut the public up.

It is clear you are excited about the game coming out. Now just show the development team some restraint and respect in letting them get the job done. Understand that any dates posted are tentative until you actually see the product on the market. And don't whine about transparency.

Imperialus - yeah, I remember that actually. I literally couldn't imagine a situation where we'd possibly not have finished the game by the end of 2012. Making games was gonna be easy, right?

All those guys in the AAA studios who took ages making games, that was because they weren't me and didn't know all the cool stuff that I did! Noobs!

As I said, dev update will come today. In short, the major problem is that we foolishly didn't branch the code before we started implementing the new Geoscape UI so we have to finish the bit we're working on before we can release the next build.

___

You also produces and leading the project Path of Exile ?

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-forum/54

Sorry if I'm wrong ..

__