New UI preview!

Chris

Strange, you was confused by requirement of rifle but didn't by requirement of 3 power source. Alien power source in the game it's "approximately the size of a fridge and producing enough energy to power a city" ufo reactor. It's just UI mock-up, just "some text" to represent layout and colors, there can be pie recipe

Foresee we will make armor from 10 androns and toxic grenades from 25 reaper body parts, already saw this in some game

Lead scientist: " I have nice idea how to use this piles of alien weapons what we got after all this missions"

"But we automaticaly sold them at mission end"

Lead scientist: "What? Why? Well, you need to collect 25 more now to make this project"

Edited by zzz1010

Slight color changes

PSD files: Final GUI MOD

Base Screen: changed window backgrounds, rotate button. (this does not yet have a painted background, it's just a layout!)

Laboratory Screen:Window backgrounds, buttons, hire/fire scientists screen changes.

Workshop screen: made selection and clipboard fields conform to Base Screen Topbar. Window background, buttons.

(Funds and date+time field untouched.)

Barracks soldiers hire screen: slight militarization of window colors, made them conform to background art palette.

Barracks soldiers manage screen: Added names highlight. (Advanced gradients would look nicer, but require more time & effort.)

Stores screen: Window colors conform to background art resulting in slight military style. "No items", Sell and Transfer screens too.

Soldier Equip screen: Weapons color enhancement, selection conforms to Base Screen Topbar. Windows styled a little more military-like.

Vehicle Equip screen: Weapon color enhanced, selected fields, buttons.

Aircraft Equip screen: made weapons appear more badass, selection and window colors.

Dropship screen: I forgot the Right and Left arrows and left them unchanged in the PSD. 50% salary reduction as punishment!

Updated arrows on Dropship screen.

Edited by mercy

Slight color changes

Base Screen: changed window backgrounds, rotate button. (this does not yet have a painted background, it's just a layout!)

Laboratory Screen:Window backgrounds, buttons, hire/fire scientists screen changes.

Workshop screen: made selection and clipboard fields conform to Base Screen Topbar. Window background, buttons.

Barracks soldiers hire screen: slight militarization of window colors, made them conform to background art palette.

Barracks soldiers manage screen: Added names highlight. (Advanced gradients would look nicer, but require more time & effort.)

Stores screen: Window colors conform to background art resulting in slight military style. "No items", Sell and Transfer screens too.

Soldier Equip screen: Weapons color enhancement, selection conforms to Base Screen Topbar. Windows styled a little more military-like.

Aircraft Equip screen: made weapons appear more badass, selection and window colors.

Dropship screen: I forgot the Right and Left arrows and left them unchanged in the PSD. 50% salary reduction as punishment!

Love the softer colors especially in the workshop and stores. Are you using what the ambient light might look like given the background colors? The colors used fit the scene better.

Am I the only one bothered by the fact all the characters look like they're from the 1990s? The scientist has a soul patch (I've been looking for about an hour and a half through books, comics, and the net and I have yet to find a single example of a soul patch without attendant moustache from any time in the 70s or early 80s), is wearing cargo pants (are you even serious) and has tiny, partly rimless specs (mens glasses were huge in the 70s).

Also note that (civilian) hairstyles from the 70s were floppy on the back and sides, not just the top. The workshop guy seems to have some sort of pompadour, with short back and sides. Even when the back and sides were short that generally translated to slicked back - see Ronald Reagan circa 1980 as an example (and based on a quick Google image search, he picked a hairstyle in the 1930s and then stuck with it). Compare history's greatest monster from the same year.

The stores guy has a haircut from the 1950s and besides, even if he was like a teddy boy remnant or something I don't think you could get away with sideys like that in the (para)military.

Going back to the scientist, it's worth noting that long hair like that wasn't all that common outside of a few specific subcultures (even if you look at pics of Woodstock - and yeah I know that was in 69 - jaw length hair was by far the most common on the guys. This continues well into the 70s). Here's a timeline of Black Sabbath with photos; heavy metal was one of those cultures. If he belongs to one of these cultures, he could probably use a few cues. If he's supposed to be some sort of 70s nerd, they generally looked more like this.

OK yeah I guess this is pretty trivial, but if you're going to set the game in the 70s, make it look like the 70s. If your artist is struggling with this then any polytech/TAFE/whatever the yanks call it/etc. with fashion design courses will have books on historical fashion & costume. Public libraries will probably have some too but will not be as well stocked.

The UI colours are perfectly fine and generally fit well with the overall palette of the images, which are quite bright.

Slight color changes

WOW! Very pretty! And even AWESOME!

I wasn't bothered by the look of the characters on these screens, except for the fat guy in the storage room. I cannot exactly put a finger on it, but something's wrong with him. I think the problem is that his fatness doesn't look natural to me. I know many fat people, and most of them look healthy and joyful. So much, in fact, that I envy them since I'm a skinny nerd. However it seems this one is not fat because he enjoys good food and good drink. I'm under the impression that this man is sick, and that his sickness had him put on weight in an abnormal fashion. I feel sorry for him.

I know these artworks are pretty much final and that's all right because I like them. But I fancy the idea of fashion being frozen in the 70s because of the alien threat. We would see advanced technology being developped, lasers and holographic screens but with the 70s fashion touch. That would have really given this game a graphic soul (I've read and heard people say the artistic direction is uninvolved and generic, though I must admit I love it myself).

Edited by Nemeo

Am I the only one bothered by the fact all the characters look like they're from the 1990s? The scientist has a soul patch (I've been looking for about an hour and a half through books, comics, and the net and I have yet to find a single example of a soul patch without attendant moustache from any time in the 70s or early 80s), is wearing cargo pants (are you even serious) and has tiny, partly rimless specs (mens glasses were huge in the 70s).

Also note that (civilian) hairstyles from the 70s were floppy on the back and sides, not just the top. The workshop guy seems to have some sort of pompadour, with short back and sides. Even when the back and sides were short that generally translated to slicked back - see Ronald Reagan circa 1980 as an example (and based on a quick Google image search, he picked a hairstyle in the 1930s and then stuck with it). Compare history's greatest monster from the same year.

The stores guy has a haircut from the 1950s and besides, even if he was like a teddy boy remnant or something I don't think you could get away with sideys like that in the (para)military.

Going back to the scientist, it's worth noting that long hair like that wasn't all that common outside of a few specific subcultures (even if you look at pics of Woodstock - and yeah I know that was in 69 - jaw length hair was by far the most common on the guys. This continues well into the 70s). Here's a timeline of Black Sabbath with photos; heavy metal was one of those cultures. If he belongs to one of these cultures, he could probably use a few cues. If he's supposed to be some sort of 70s nerd, they generally looked more like this.

OK yeah I guess this is pretty trivial, but if you're going to set the game in the 70s, make it look like the 70s. If your artist is struggling with this then any polytech/TAFE/whatever the yanks call it/etc. with fashion design courses will have books on historical fashion & costume. Public libraries will probably have some too but will not be as well stocked.

The UI colours are perfectly fine and generally fit well with the overall palette of the images, which are quite bright.

Oh god, 70s people look awful. I'm glad we don't have them looking like that :) Thanks for the post though, it's enlightening. I guess these people are more modern people who look vaguely retro than actual 70s people as I think the genuine article would look pretty bad in this day and age. I think the guy originally had old-school glasses but we changed them because they looked awful.

Well, you set up 1970 as the starting date. If you go all 90s on them you're going for anachronism... And, just on a side note, even Firaxis didn't go for anachronism.

I like the current design, but going full 70s for the starting artworks would be awesome. Funky and awesome. Funksome!

edit: Someone ban this triple poster? What are moderators doing? :P

As much as I hate the style, I so agree to irdr and Nemeo: a 70s game should look seventies. On the upside, it would make Xenonauts very distinct from any other game, allow for a much more visible display of progress and maybe even attract some fashion oriented players to the game.

No, that'd be full seventies. You never go full seventies. You don't buy that? Ask Sean Penn.

If we went full seventies with our UI it'd look like this: http://www.synthmania.com/Famous%20Sounds/Images/Old_computer.jpg

The game interface is meant to feel retro, not actually look like it is from 1980. We've gone for rounded edges on the UI as opposed to the hard corners we had on the earlier UI because they look better, even though rounded corners and sleek design is all post-iPod stuff.

I'm not going to make my game look horrible just so it's historically accurate. Nor am I particularly keen to "attract fashion orientated players" to the game - I'm not sure they're our core audience.

I might be just imagining your emotions from text, but you the way you quote "attract fashion orientated players" oozes with so much disgust, you still must be trying to get this revolting feeling off your fingers that typed those filthy words. Quick ... before it spreads and you need to amputate the whole arms.

God I love the screenshot you posted, Chris. I wish you had gone for this kind of stuff.

The artistic direction is too far gone to open a debate but I'm sure a pool would have proven you wrong. Room sized computers. Kickass hats and glasses. And a "save promising computer engineer bill gates from abduction" mission. What up?!

If we went full seventies with our UI it'd look like this: http://www.synthmania.com/Famous%20Sounds/Images/Old_computer.jpg
God I love the screenshot you posted, Chris. I wish you had gone for this kind of stuff.

He did. It's on the table (lower left corner) on the stores screen:

e9z28l.jpg

This is what 70s Xenonauts would really look like:

1999CastYr1.jpg

You get a cookie if you recognize the show.

Or maybe.

blakes1web2404_468x481.jpg

But now I've gone too far.

Edited by Jean-Luc