New UI preview!

Chris

Independent of whatever color or etc, the UI usability flaws arent solved the little bit by this version.

In the end this is just a matter of taste and doesn t add much to the game.

Taste for taste I particularly find the pretender version too bright and prefer the actual one it is less aggressive to the eye.

But it may be just a first impression and once in game the brightness won t be so aggressive.

Hi ! I like the new UI screen so far, I find the style quite matching the ambience of the game :-)

A little remark though: I didn't see any women characters in the screens, only a male scientist, male soldier, etc. Was it done intentionally ?

In regards to Chris's latest comment on this thread, what is the status on the new UIs? Are we to assume that the ones in the first post are outdated and should be disregarded from now on? Or have the UIs been updated and I'm late to the party? I got the game right when v19 rolled into town.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

i am new to Xenonauts although i have a long history of playing the good old DOS Xcom games. I bought Xcom remake as soon as it got released, and as many others, i too was very disappointed. So when i came across Xenonauts, i was truly impressed by the game building upon base blocks of legacy Xcom games.

I bought Xenonauts on steam when V19 was going on, and recently got updated to V20.

I have to say i am extremely disappointed by the new, bright user interface. Sure it puts a lot of strain on to the eyes, especially if you got big good bright IPS screen, but that is not the main problem. The whole tone on the Xcom games was always very dark, tense and and quiet. I remember old times playing UFO Enemy Unknown and i was always deeply immersed as long as i was inside of the game, and never got distracted by anything that would not fit the style.

In Xenonauts, i managed to get over the fact that artworks of Xcom soldiers are extremely ugly, as well as their armors, and that aliens are wearing pajamas... it took me some time to make my mind ignore it, but eventually i did.

Unfortunatelly, new bright UI is not the case, as much as i try to get deep into the game, which works as long as i look at nice detailed geoscape surrounded by dark, unobtrusive UI, as soon as i get into any screen with the new Cool hip super bright Apple MacBook awesome look designed by a cool designer that likes to wear shirts of vivid colors with funny motives, and hipster glasses, all of the game's immersion is very quickly gone.

EDIT: Forgot to add that current design of Unselected buttons, for example in loadout screen, makes them appear as frozen (grayed out) and therefore unclickable. That may confuse a lot of people, as it defies basic UI design principals :)

Edited by Rawalanche

I think the new UI is a huge step up from the original, both functionality and art quality wise but kinda agree that the games's atmosphere could benefit from a more dark tones.

Art is great otherwise, but i'm not particulary fond of stock screen background picture and while the troop equipment screen looks fine, it could benefit from slight ui modifications. Here's what I would change there: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/8500-Soldier-equipment-screen-improvements-%28Picture%21%29

Edited by Skitso