New UI preview!

Chris

I like the clean and clear look. Suits the era of the game and suits the style of the game. The art is amazing as ever (probably the first thing I saw of the game itself back when you announced it was the art, and it still looks as enticing). Overally I really like the look and can't wait to play with it in the finished game.

However, all that said, with this in mind

About all this brightnes disscusion

What about this

http://rghost.ru/41841762/image.png

..I think the middle option offers the best levels of contrast and brightness from a usability perspective, and that grey tones generally look aesthetically more stylish than a brighter option. It would be great if the background images for dialogs/screens are modable OR there's an xml file somewhere that has a value for text and dialog background colours, so users can make changes if they need to. Peoples' eyes all have different tolerances for these things.

You said you didn't want critiques which is fair enough, I know design work is laborious and somewhat thankless, but please externalise as many UI elements as you feel comfortable doing, Chris..

edit: a more stark comparison is having minimised this forum window and tabbed to Steam, the dark grey UI is instantly far less sapping to use. It looks ugly as hell but it doesn't tax the eyes.

Edited by Harmonica

My first impression when i saw this last night was.... hmm it's kind of bright I'm sure Chris is still working on that etc...

Now after having slept on it, it looks quite nice, almost completely used to it now, and it does really free up and simplifies the interface, Good job!

I also like the idea of using some paper texture from the 70's, (i.e. cheap army computer printouts) to replace the bright gray bubbles, something most people would probably not notice unless it was much darker. Unless your going for some pseudo Palm-Pilote look which is probably even better imo.

But anyway as an example from the paper example posted previously in this thread, though it's not the best example, this is what i got:

Research screen

http://plasmon.rghost.ru/41842806/image.png

Soldier equip screen

http://rghost.net/41842955/image.png

edit:

But this now adds the problem for me that the edges are too rounded for paper lol... err

I liked your texture remember continuous paper print with removable holed edge which left the sheet side slightly serrated.

Your crits are a bit over the top. I find the soldier background just about perfect - the attitude and stance are just fine. Source: was a soldier.

And that was your stance when presenting for duty in front of your superiors?

And i don t know why people insert items i never criticized, i never criticized UI nor background.

And that was your stance when presenting for duty in front of your superiors?

And i don t know why people insert items i never criticized, i never criticized UI nor background.

The officer of the watch is standing at ease, which is common when at the mens' barracks. Though, I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but is he missing an arm?

I like it.

My two concerns are firstly, the hard hat and tools buttons. My first instinct was that the hard hat was the workshop, but what then would the tools be? So I was left wondering what the hard hat was, until I thought of the base screen. However, I couldn't really come up with another icon in the same style that better represented base building and general info, so..

Second. Why must all military men in media wear their berets like a french chef? This is a pet peeve, and I realize that it's not going to change, the artwork is already done. Just something for the future. :P

I love the new interfaces. Simple, concise. I even like that they are "old" style without all the transparencies and other tricks we incorporate into new games, it helps set the time frame.

I do "prefer" a dark background, but these are not bright enough to be a problem. As Chris mentioned, I doubt I will even notice after a short time of playing. Unlike the new forum, where everytime I log in i notice it

The officer of the watch is standing at ease, which is common when at the mens' barracks. Though, I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but is he missing an arm?

Yup, you don't normally stand at attention for very long, especially if you are a senior NCO and you are having some kind of routine discussion with the C.O.

Anyway, the arm does look a little odd but it's just heavily foreshortened because of the angle. I don't think it's a technical problem, but it does look a bit off at first glance.

EDIT: Hang on a minute... I can see that the intent of the soldier's arm might have been to show a missing arm from combat, but I'm just not sure how I'm supposed to read that, now.

Edited by Xitax

Will the images change as time goes on? I mean small changes: a laser rifle or two lying around the workshop, a corpse/containment chamber in the labs and so on. Considering these are hand painted backgrounds, drawing in new props is probably extremely time consuming, so I understand if what we see now is what it stays through the game.

EDIT: I just realized something else about the UI. It will be a little weird to see the same people on the screens of every base, won't it?

Edited by karthink

EDIT: I just realized something else about the UI. It will be a little weird to see the same people on the screens of every base, won't it?

Depends how you think about it. In my mind when you go to manage another base the commander is not flying out to that base to meet the people there; he's consulting the department heads at the central base about operations in the other bases.

Will the images change as time goes on? I mean small changes: a laser rifle or two lying around the workshop, a corpse/containment chamber in the labs and so on. Considering these are hand painted backgrounds, drawing in new props is probably extremely time consuming, so I understand if what we see now is what it stays through the game.

Oh that would be really cool.

Maybe not right away, but rather as stretch goal (patch to final game?)

Nice!

I like both iconsets, but slightly prefer those from the geoscape concept. The shopping trolly should be a no in any case, reminds me of webshop icons...

Only the vehicle weapons selectors seem a bit off. Darkgrey backgrounds would be more consistent with the aircraft and equip screens. Or else put them on one panel. Sorry if this is still work in progress.