New UI preview!

Chris

That was a most needed overhaul. It looks a lot less like an excel table and I love it.

Now a tiny suggestion. How about animating some parts of the background, to breath some life in it. For example, on the geoscape screen, those scientifics at the bottom of the screen could move their head from time to time. Their computer screen could change. It should not be something distracting like a cycling animation repeating itself over and over. It should be something that would occur at random, and rarely. That would really give a huge boost to immersion.

I understand you've got more important things to work on and this would be of the lowest priority. But please consider it at some point. Sometimes the packaging is what make the difference between a good game, and an AWESOME game. And if the presentation is too static, I'm afraid some people might find this great remake a bit cold.

I can see what some people are saying about the contrast. My first thoughts were a little eeky, then I thought about it and it seems quite nice actually - then I thought about the situation I would be using it (i.e. at night, lights out) and I do wonder about the strain playing this for more than an hour. =(

If you are fed up with having put the work in but having the community not appreciate, why not have the option of switching between this and the old UI colours in the menu? Then its not wasted and everyone is happy! =)

Only one other thing I would add. On the manage soldiers it shows each soldiers armour. I would change that to Role. As then you have a good idea what equipment they have (and probably armour too).

Looks great, just one thing, there needs to be a picture of the soldiers weapons on the Chinook screen. At first, before you get to know your soldiers, it can be hard to remember what role every soldiers has when you have only their names to go by. And that is information you need to have when you place your soldiers in the chinook. I at least find myself having to switch back and forth between the soldier screen and the chinook screen. Perhaps the green icon representing the soldiers in the chinook could indicate which weapon he or she is equipped with?

Looks nice i my opinion. I agree to the comment above as I am doing the same switching when I want to place my troopers in the chinook.

I really appreciate the hard work and have a hard time waiting for the beta =)

Keep up the good work!

Yes, I'm looking at adding the soldier role icon on their portrait for the dropship screen. Without the final images for the soldier roles it's not really possible to try though.

Re: the lightness, I've added a warning to the Base screen pic. As someone else pointed out above, that's the first concept I put in the post and it has no painted background or art on it yet (it's just a layout) so obviously the contrast is going to throw people. The screens with the painted backgrounds are a much better judge of the palette.

Also, why does everyone seem to want to play this game at night in the dark? I wasn't aware the X-Com fanbase was comprised entirely of vampires. It's really bad for your eyes too.

Bear in mind you'll spend more time on the ground combat screen than you will on the strategic menus as well.

EDIT: Also, yes, animation is something we're looking at if possible but it's not exactly a priority.

The new UI looks really nice! At my first glance I'm a little surprised that the background turns white, but now I've already got used to it, and in my opinion new players who haven't seen and played the demo or alpha before will not think the new UI has contrast problem at all.

My first impression when i saw this last night was.... hmm it's kind of bright I'm sure Chris is still working on that etc...

Now after having slept on it, it looks quite nice, almost completely used to it now, and it does really free up and simplifies the interface, Good job!

I also like the idea of using some paper texture from the 70's, (i.e. cheap army computer printouts) to replace the bright gray bubbles, something most people would probably not notice unless it was much darker. Unless your going for some pseudo Palm-Pilote look which is probably even better imo.

But anyway as an example from the paper example posted previously in this thread, though it's not the best example, this is what i got:

Research screen

http://plasmon.rghost.ru/41842806/image.png

Soldier equip screen

http://rghost.net/41842955/image.png

edit:

But this now adds the problem for me that the edges are too rounded for paper lol... err

Edited by smoitessier

Also, why does everyone seem to want to play this game at night in the dark? I wasn't aware the X-Com fanbase was comprised entirely of vampires. It's really bad for your eyes too.

Bear in mind you'll spend more time on the ground combat screen than you will on the strategic menus as well.

Location: Those of us with day jobs can only play after work, and some of us share a room with family members who may be watching TV while we are playing in the corner of the room.

Atmosphere: I don't know about others but when watching a movie at home I don't have all the lights on, unless its a very scary one :P

Vampires: You could be onto something there Chris :cool:

I don't like all this noise you add. Prefer clear and simple. If you want to add some texture under text - make it only slightly noticeable. Or it confuse an eyes(and feels like young girl's web page, if you understand what I mean)

Edited by zzz1010

I do a lot of "computerazing" at night in the dark with a nice glass of blood on the right hand side and my eyes are just fine so far.

White is a very common (default) background "colour" for many mainstream interfaces. Windows Explorer, Outlook Express, IE, Chrome, this forum, Thunderbird, Facebook, they all use a white background. I seriously doubt it's a real problem and I expect the vast majority will get used to it in about 56 seconds (if they have a problem to begin with).

White is a very common (default) background "colour" for many mainstream interfaces. Windows Explorer, Outlook Express,...

Exactly.

And that's exactly why it's not a great color for game UI. The worst danger for any game is to start feeling like a chore. Now, interface design only plays a small role in this, maybe 1/10. And still, when the interface works a lot like a spreadsheet, it better at least not compound it by looking like one.

The requirements for game UI are different than for an office productivity suite. The productivity of gaming is 0, it's about the process. For the end users, I mean.

This is why there are very few successful game UIs that focus on pragmatism alone. And the few that do at least spice it up with decoration. To help you switch to the "having fun" mode rather than "doing work". Especially in parts of the game that could just as well be a work chore.

I mean... Christmas is coming soon, so how about buying a coat hanger instead of a tree, decorating it with all-season shoes, and making every gift a few twenties in a plain brown box?

I never required muscle, and although the uniform is bland compared to military standart since Vietnam and Uniform compared to the military AI uniform, i understand it would require some more efforts do replicate any camo on the battlefield.

That aside i consider a art glitch having soldiers having a POW stance, nothing more. They could just be on an attention stance and it would be fine.

Your crits are a bit over the top. I find the soldier background just about perfect - the attitude and stance are just fine. Source: was a soldier.

*Sigh* Ah the good ol' "gaming vampire" days when I would have marathon playthroughs on countless nights in my younger years. Now when night falls I just beg my new born baby daughter to let her daddy asleep. Gaming requires to much brain work by the time the day ends. On the bright side - maybe by the time the game will be out she will start having whole sleep cycles of 4 hours at night *drooool* and i'll actually get to do some gaming once more. Till then I'll just keep staring blankly at the formula bottle.

If we wanted to be healthy we'd like... you know... go outside. Maybe do some kind of sport.

Quick suggestion that might help with some concerns people have with screen contrast.

Several of the colours the game uses on the geoscape are set in gameconfig.xml.

Would it be possible to have the text and background colours of the text areas of the new GUI set in the same way?

You could then design the UI you want but if anyone does feel like they are struggling with it they can alter it to suit their own preference.

If possible this would be nice to be done on an individual basis so research can be set individually from manufacturing and so on.

They're the third best in the world don't you know!

It's Mission of the Day on Xenonaut TV. Here's some commentary!

"The ball's deep in the England half. Drug Cheat picks it up. He steps forward and passes it across to Adulterer. Adulterer over to Arrogant Cash In. Arrogant Cash In starts probing up the wing, in a change from the usual things he probes. Regular viewers will know he's no relation to Mercenary Sell Out, also in the team for this evening's Pointless Coffer Filling Friendly.

A short ball out to Super Injunction. We're not allowed to report what Super Injunction is doing, or even if he's in the stadium due to a decision by Pocket Judge earlier in the day.

But the ball is loose! England are almost caught! Busy But Ineffective manages to stumble over the ball and keep possession for the team. Busy But Ineffective gets it out wide to Vodaphone P0rn Star, who heads into the path of Useless Lump. The towering presence and utter lack of skill drives at the goal. The 'keeper falls over! It must be a goal ! It must be! Oh, Sweden have retaken possession and scored again in another of those counter attack thingies...

Oh, the manager warned against those, but the Scribbling Hacks bayed for a traditional 2-2-6 kick and Rush formation.

Let the aliens have 'em...

The third best team in the world and the umpteenth most likely to ever win anything...

Oh yes, the UI. I knew there was something...

Now I really liked the old artwork for the UI. However, there's certainly more consistency across them now. People look suitably glum, which is important. The navigation looks to be much improved and you can see the fun you've had trying out umpteen variations on positioning.

Edited by thothkins