Dr Whites Misadventures (AKA how I learned to stop worrying and love the nades)

Anyone whos seen my other-posts will know that I've been having quite my fair share of mad adventures in this game so I figured I'd share a few of my stupidest (and most awesome) moments:

Meet Nathan Explosion: One time, for kicks, I gave one of my men nothing but nades. A few flash, A couple smoke and a shit ton of frags. And I sent him running, head first, as a scout into UFO's. He got something like 15 kills to his name. With only nades. total badass. I promptly renamed him to 'Nathan Explosion' when I realised he need a name other than 'scrub 12'. He's still alive (wounded for 20 or so days, actually).

I AIN'T GOT TIME TO BLEED: a rough battle had left me with 4 men out of 10. A couple of Heavy Plasma aliens were picking at my remaining guys. Cue Bloke-McGovna (That's actually what I named him) getting shot. He starts bleeding, Panics, and fires a sniper shot past my HMG officer, killing an heavy-plasma alien standing outside. Thanks to him, My HMG wasnt turned into toast and I was able save the rest of the team.

Might makes light... and I feel mighty!: My snipers have the uncanny ability to be able to pick off targets far out of their normal sight range. 'Mr. SnipperWiffle', currently my most accurate sniper, can safely 95% a target at almost 3 times his sight range if someone else is spotting for him. Groovy. That just begs the question; how the hell can someone spot for a sniper like that? What, Is the spotter yelling out 'Oh, a Little to the left... up a bit... FIRE!'.

And for that matter, why the hell do the xenonauts feel like its a good idea to litter area's with smoke machines prior to missions? ;)

Someone open a can of Worms?: For shits and giggles, my current secondary squad is operating in what I call 'worms mode'. Rockets and grenades only! Its turning out pretty good. I have low Xenonaut death count so long as I go slowly but I do tend to get 'accidental' civie kills. Still, The set-up works a hell of a lot better than the MG only squad and way WAY better than the shotgun only squad.

Anyone else got any cool stories?

On the new maps I'm been playtesting, I set a sniper to shoot a sebillian. The shot kills the sebillian, passes through it, and flies into a large gas tank.

Which 4 of my other guys were using to block LOS while they were getting into a position to flank the other sebillian on the map.

Nuthin' like the taste of long pig!

They're coming to get you Barbara!

The snipers are pretty cool. Alien Base attack at my secondary base. They have 1 mission to their name. The sniper, Barbara, has gone off to a part of the base where there are no aliens. Her colleagues are being slaughtered by the aliens that have appeared elsewhere. She works her way back, room by room, and kills 8 of them. The other wounded and terrified Xenonauts fall behind her for safety. Saved the team, saved the mission and saved the base.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a sniper shoot his buddy in the space next to him when he was clearly out of LOS from the alien I was aiming for a whopping 10 spaces away.

I can't count the number of times a grenadier has thrown a frag at his buddy a few spaces in front of him when the alien I'm trying to hit is 2x or more further away. And yes, they do tend to rack up ridiculous numbers of kills.

My usual loadout for a team of 12 consists of 2 snipers, 2 grenadier/medics (takes quite a while for them to get the strength to use the Jackal armor and the full compliment of nades and gear), and 8 assault troops. The usual arrangement is one cluster in the front with a sniper front center, grenadier/medic behind, and 4 assault filling the sides, then an identical group in the far back which makes use of the side doors.

I've had a sniper shoot his buddy in the space next to him when he was clearly out of LOS from the alien I was aiming for a whopping 10 spaces away.

I can't count the number of times a grenadier has thrown a frag at his buddy a few spaces in front of him when the alien I'm trying to hit is 2x or more further away. And yes, they do tend to rack up ridiculous numbers of kills.

Reason why such things happen, as I understand , is because this thing in accuracy calculation

Therefore if the number generated was:

1-20 - The shot would successfully hit the target.

21-50 - The shot would hit the cover the unit was hiding behind.

51-80 - The shot would hit one of the intervening obstacles along the fire path.

91- 100 – The shot would miss the target, and scatter down a different fire path entirely.

51-80 - The shot would hit one of the intervening obstacles along the fire path.

And so far as there few obstacles and a soldier is have 100% to stop bullet there high probability to it will be chosen to be hitten,(and if there no obstacles between shooter and target except only soldier - it will be only you soldier) bullets begin to magnet to soldiers if you "miss"

Edited by zzz1010

And so far as there few obstacles and a soldier is have 100% to stop bullet there high probability to it will be chosen to be hitten,(and if there no obstacles between shooter and target except only soldier - it will be only you soldier) bullets begin to magnet to soldiers if you "miss"

This explains many of my odd mission mishaps