Suicide nade running...

Mordobb

I remember fondly in TFTD (more than others) when alien would stuck on a narrow passage or having to use guarded lift and a lot of soldiers would die trying to pass (usually major Alien UFO or Alien BASE) i used a suicidal tactic:

I would put one grenade in each hands of a soldier (usually a recruit) set them to blow at end of turn and run towards them and stop near them.

Sometimes they would shoot me before getting there. But most of the try the alien would shoot the guy when near them, and the nade would go off at the end of their turn killing some or all of the defender.

Another side effect was sometimes (usually killing more than one)the suicidal run would scare the sh!t out of the aliens and they would panic.

Was pretty fun. Ims AllaH!

I don t see how to reproduce this in Xenonauts.

C4 has a timer, you could use that, though I would raise the damage and radius in "weapons_gc" (currently the same as a frag grenade, which is nowhere near powerful enough, considering you're sacrificing a soldier). If you set the timer to 1, I think it blows halfway through the enemy turn, after the aliens have shot/moved (which could be a problem), but before the civilians moved.

But he didn't ask for special suicidal belt device for this purpose. He ask about(he didn't ask actually, it's more like he miss (about?)such ability) using common explosives as he did it in old one. And it not too much about wear at soldiers belts to blowup them next, it is more like when nothing works

I side with zzz on this one, taking a high explosive and using it in a suicidal manner (how many times have we seen a "heroic sacrifice" in some WW2 movie etc?) is different than having some kind of auto explode when a character dies.

I personally find the tactic a bit abhorrent if it is preplanned in advance (every mission has 3 suicide rookies) but it's legit asymmetric warfare, and in a pinch it could provide interesting emergent gameplay. Group of aliens nearby, exposed xenonauts, not enough TUs to kill, one squadmember decides to save his buddies and make eating plasma worthwhile.

Suggesting a belt that explode is a bad idea, especially with so much pricks in the world. (As if suicide run required any skill. And i hope they do live training

Leaving it to convencional war materiel and only an option (without even making a mention of it in the manual) is more like it.

If C4 does it (i haven t used it yet) i m ok with it.

Remember UFO: Apocalypse with enought c4 you could bring down a building.

APOC was awesomely advanced for its timeframe.

There's no flying units in the game, some units have jetpacks but they can't end their movement in mid-air. Grenades / explosions should hit units in the tiles above and do reduced damage though (that does need to be tested).

Yes, there is the functionality for gas and stun grenades in the game. The smoke grenade is a type of gas grenade. Whether actual stun grenades and poison / stun gas grenades make it into the final game, I'm not sure at this stage. If not, it's easy enough to mod it back in.

There's no flying units in the game, some units have jetpacks but they can't end their movement in mid-air. Grenades / explosions should hit units in the tiles above and do reduced damage though (that does need to be tested).

Yes, there is the functionality for gas and stun grenades in the game. The smoke grenade is a type of gas grenade. Whether actual stun grenades and poison / stun gas grenades make it into the final game, I'm not sure at this stage. If not, it's easy enough to mod it back in.

Thank you.