Armed civilians mod (crashites only atm)

Max_Caine

Okay, so after reading this thread I went ahead and sort-of did what the OP asked. As Terror Missions keep CTDing (for me, anyway), I haven't bothered to alter that bit yet, but for all crash-sites (other than the farm) all the civvies are now friendly AI. Download this file and over-write the existing missiontypeprops_gc.xml file (don't forget to back the file up first!!!). As soon as Terror sites are more stable, I'll change that too. Enjoy!

EDIT: Now with added rockets! As erutan thought that a map filled with rocket carrying civvies would be funny, I took it to the next level. Back-up your missiontypeprops_gc.xml file, Download this masterpiece, delete your main missiontypeprops_gc.xml file and delete the "rockets" from the end of this file (so you have in fact renamed it to "missiontypeprops_gc.xml") for sheer rockety goodness!

Edited by Max_Caine

• 1 month later...
Okay, so after reading this thread I went ahead and sort-of did what the OP asked. As Terror Missions keep CTDing (for me, anyway), I haven't bothered to alter that bit yet, but for all crash-sites (other than the farm) all the civvies are now friendly AI. Download this file and over-write the existing missiontypeprops_gc.xml file (don't forget to back the file up first!!!). As soon as Terror sites are more stable, I'll change that too. Enjoy!

EDIT: Now with added rockets! As erutan thought that a map filled with rocket carrying civvies would be funny, I took it to the next level. Back-up your missiontypeprops_gc.xml file, Download this masterpiece, delete your main missiontypeprops_gc.xml file and delete the "rockets" from the end of this file (so you have in fact renamed it to "missiontypeprops_gc.xml") for sheer rockety goodness!

So how's it working for you? Any blue-on-blues?

I really like this idea. Especially for UFOs crashing in the US there should be quite a few armed civilians around. But I don't think every person should have a weapon. Maybe you could make the chance of weapon based on these stats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

Mostly handguns in the cities, with the occasional person who has an assault rifle at home. Of course in farmland the farmers should have shotguns or hunting rifles. AK47s in the Middle East and Africa.

I don't know how well the panic system is modable, but I think many civilians would chose to take their gun and run, and only fire if they are directly confronted. The civilians who want to play hero and fight should still panic much easier than your soldiers.

As an extra bonus you could have the occasional gun-nut around who happens to own an RPG and grenades :)

Really sounds like a lot of fun. Good luck with the mod!

My finding have been that with everyone armed, the game gets bogged down with all the friendly AI units blazing away each turn. It gets really boring really quickly. Rockets are just funny, for a mission or two.

The problem is it's a quick and dirty mod that simply adjusts the number of unarmed civilians down to zero, and replaces it with a similar number of friendly AI units. The xml file provides a single figure for each type of non-enemy NPC, not a range (i.e. 7, rather than 4-7), which is interesting, because the enemy # xmldoes have a range. Unless a range is coded in, that's as far as I'm going to get.