Level Design Testing Update

Chris

I suggested this might begin last week, but that didn't work out. It's possible this might happen this weekend, but it's more likely it'll happen at the start of next week instead. For those unfamiliar, this will take the form of one or more maps that the player can download and play through to give us feedback on how much they like them and how they can be improved.

I've sat down and over the last few days I've blocked out a layout for all but the final UFO type and a basic layout for the first alien base type. Testing these internally has demonstrated a number of issues we've been working on fixing before public release - multi-tile doors not working, aliens spawning inside solid walls rather than in rooms etc - and we've also been busy ironing out the obvious bugs in the code that hides the UFO walls, but that's all pretty much done now and I think we're good to start testing them out.

Unfortunately, there's still a few more things holding up the level testing as a whole. Firstly, the levelsetup.xml functionality that lets us set the number and equipment of the Xenonaut troops in a mission isn't in place yet because we've been busy with the UFO stuff. That'll be done shortly.

Also, the new GC UI has just been implemented (just updated graphics really) but that has a few issues we're still working through as well. So ideally we need to iron out those problems before we can release the map-pack too, as we'll need to provide an updated .exe with the map-pack so the UFO stuff works properly.

So yeah, we've been busy this week and hopefully the end is in sight and the level testing can begin soon. It'll be very useful to hear people's thoughts on the scale of the later UFOs, as we're at a stage where we can still quickly change and adapt the layouts if they're not well-received.

I run a software-company as well (e-commerce, not games), and in the short time I've been here I repeatedly have been impressed by the sheer amount of work and (much valued!) communication about the process you (and the team) manage to put out with a modestly sized team.

Great work, no need to start rushing things at this point.