Armed civilians?

Gam

Guys,

What if civilians could be armed during terror missions or missions in populated areas?

There is an alien invasion in your town. You panic, pull out grandad's double barrel rifle and shoot at anything that gets too close to your house. Including soldiers, local forces and other civilians.

Thoughts?

Well both are already in the alpha, though you can only catch glimpses of the civilian (spectres not set up properly), so it's not really that big of a spoiler.

Guys,

What if civilians could be armed during terror missions or missions in populated areas?

There is an alien invasion in your town. You panic, pull out grandad's double barrel rifle and shoot at anything that gets too close to your house. Including soldiers, local forces and other civilians.

Thoughts?

It would mean a lot of work (a disadvantage of the system used, they can't just add a weapon to a model) creating the sprites for what is essentially weaker versions of the current NPC soldiers. I would have prefered using that much time to make something that adds more to the game.

Edited by Khall

They are already in game, at least red ones. Never got arctic crashes?

No, I'm mostly staying away from the early builds. Will wait for release before playing so I only see what gets posted on the forum but I try not to spoil myself too much.

More or less everything will get "spoiled" by the end of the beta so I might have to make myself scarce sooner or later.

Guys,

Thoughts?

too Americanized that everyone has a weapon. There should be unarmed civvies period. farmers having weapons makes sense but that everyone has weapons doesn't make much sense.

too Americanized that everyone has a weapon. There should be unarmed civvies period. farmers having weapons makes sense but that everyone has weapons doesn't make much sense.

LOL! American farmers, you mean. =P

The rest of the world isn't all a hostile jungle like America. =P

Now, if the aliens ever try a landing in Afghanistan, they'd better stay close to their ship.

Ghengis Khan was probably closest to permanent victory in Afghanistan - because he simply murdered everyone who lived there. No army has since come close to "winning" a war of conquest there.

Edited by Gazz

In normal circumstances? Yes.

But if the aliens invaded? Every gun shop would be out of stock.

Heck, if I was the president I would hand out weapons on every street corner.

LOL! American farmers, you mean. =P

The rest of the world isn't all a hostile jungle like America. =P

actually no, I meant British farmers. Last time it was brought up if farmers had access to guns I was informed that in Britain farmers having guns is quite common. I think that is somewhat true for Swedish farmers too. Or at least for the hunters living in middle and north parts of Sweden.

Are we both complaining about making the world look too much like America? Do both of us think that is a bad thing? you seem to act as if I don't.

too Americanized that everyone has a weapon.
Well, maybe if a UFO lands in the US they should encounter a LOT more armed citizens. There are a lot of places in the world where the population is heavily armed. Some places more so than the US. Since the aliens can be killed by gunfire it wouldn't be a lot of fun if the citizens slaughtered them before the Xenonauts arrived on scene, so I think we can skip that realism just to make things more interesting. There are some places in the US and Middle East where the "Terror Mission" would be terror for the aliens not the citizens. I'm sure someone can mod the percentage of armed citizens much higher (hopefully it's moddable) if they want it. Edited by StellarRat

actually no, I meant British farmers. Last time it was brought up if farmers had access to guns I was informed that in Britain farmers having guns is quite common. I think that is somewhat true for Swedish farmers too. Or at least for the hunters living in middle and north parts of Sweden.

Thats right, our citys are void of guns but our country side is full of them.

But yeah, if civs have gun can't see it adding any fun to the game.

if i knew they could fight for themselfs i wouldn't be in a rush to save them. (Tho currently i don't rush cause alien aim is so bad i can waltz across the map slowly and still save the civs that are surrounded in burn out sqaures)

Need to arm them with pans (and farmers with pitchforks), then we will have running around civilians(sometimes they will be burning) with pans, shooting in sky soldiers and out team who trying to shoot in aliens but hit each other. Need also to add mad cows, they will push rolling in place aliens. Sound like fun

In normal circumstances? Yes.

But if the aliens invaded? Every gun shop would be out of stock.

Heck, if I was the president I would hand out weapons on every street corner.

Too Americanized also. "Gun shops out of stock" :)) In most countries i have been to gun shops isn't even a thing to consider. Since they don't exist. And if they do, they sell parts of guns or hunting gear.

I agree with Gorlom. Farmers should be armed. If not to protect their animals from foxes and such, they might be hunters. But otherwise i feel there are too much weapons already on civies. The odd pistol armed one is fine.

Are there any maps in Xenonauts were there are no civilians? That would be nice.

Suggestion\Feature request - need to add to "mission type props"(it's control how many there will be civilians and soldiers on mission) possibility to add not only tileset but map entities to make possible define how many there will be frendlies for specific map - then we can have havy populated maps or specific maps where we willl be alone, maps where will be more soldiers (like this desert army base) or maps where will be more civillians. And even better to store this in a map file and define in the editor("mission type props" will control frendlies equipment and will be default settings if for map not specified) - this will be more handy and user maps frendly