X-COM: EU (2012) and what it could bring to Xenonauts

ObLoM

I have no problem with base defense missions being a punishment for being good. We want to destroy alien bases because they are doing a good job trying to destroy/enslave/foodify whatever earth. Once Xeno becomes effective they wish to do the same to us. That's rational and adds a new twist to the strategy layer. As long as you aren't fighting off a Battleship with AA on a daily basis and it gets stupid repetitive having repulsed assaults adds to the flavour (also keeping in mind global bases and varying levels of defensiveness on them).

Not maintaining adequate base AA defenses is a "bad" thing - imho they'd prob leave a driver in the battleship during the assault so I don't see the 100% salvage coming out of it. If you don't mind base def missions or prioritize on other aspects then you can save money on AA.

Rationally after enough failed attempts they'd just send down a meteor or something, but I don't think that'd be good gameplay wise. :)