Please don't hide shots at my soldiers

n0m4d3

I'm not sure if this should go into the bug reports forum but the hidden movement screen also hides hidden aliens shooting at my guys which has caused me on more than one occasion to run off into the wrong direction.

If this is intentional please rethink it as it is neither realistic nor fun to not know even the direction a shot came from. (unless maybe it hits the soldier in the back of the head and kills him)

if it is not intentional i'm confident you'll fix it before long. :-)

i agree whit this guy, for that mater just get rid of the whole hidden movement screen thing and just focus on your men unless one gets shots at then zoom to that guy as the shot gets close to it so you can see where its coming form. unless its form behind and theirs no other guys to see where the shoot came form

I agree with this, the hidden movement screen should be removed in favor of the camera staying focused on your guys, and if there's hidden movement going on there could be a message across the bottom of the screen that says Hidden Movement when you can't see anything happening instead.

I agree that it's very jarring to start your turn and realize that those dying screams you heard last turn during the hidden movement screen were, in fact, from your squad.

That said...how should this be handled? UD had every shot that hit a squad member or was aimed at a squad member and within a certain range of them be drawn...meaning the soldier would notice the hostile fire, but how do we handle shots that hit a soldier in the back where they wouldn't see it coming AND if they were out of range of other squad members? Is there a preference for realism (had your name on it, but you never saw the envelope) versus tactics/player-angst (tracked the package all the way to its fatal destination)?

I think if it comes from outside any PC's visibility cone and strikes a PC, the particular pain sound should be louder--to let the player know that something is happening that's above the ambient soundscape and probably affects them--and a box should pop up that says "[Rank] [Name] has been [wounded/killed]!" And an option to acknowledge...note, "OK" is not a good choice for that acknowledgement, because a player will never feel that it's OK.

If the shot would be within a visibility cone, draw it in as normal. In game terms, this would preserve the idea of getting your ticket punched from out of sight, but mean if you had somebody who could even see the soldier, they'd see them go down and be able to report where the fire roughly came from.