Wounded and unconscious Aliens.

Will Aliens as in Xenonauts be able to fall unconscious from wounds? Not only stunning with stun weapons?

From a game play perspective i see this as maybe a bit too easy perhaps. Since you could capture important prisoners with little less effort than pure chance.

But i liked it in X-com, especially when the wounded Alien regained consciousness and ran away. But apparently they couldn't rearm themselves by picking up their weapons. It could be explained by being confused from the chock or whatever, or just wounded and afraid. But for instance a Muton shouldnt care, just wake up, pick up his plasma rifle and start burning holes in rib cages again.

Anyways i had som interesting situations when stunning chryssalids. I didnt want the bastard to wake up behind my troops and ambush them, so i resorted into blowing the downed beast with grenades, rather than have him wake up and make a mess.

And will Some or all Aliens suffer from bleeding wounds, panic, berserk and such? The more chaotic the fighting gets. The more interesting! Or?

I find it a very good idea, that somebody has a chance to fall unconscious, rather than die, when health drops. Ofcourse it should not happen oftenly, so you can't exploit it, but will make game to be more different. And it will not make make it easyer to capture somebody important - thats IMHO.

Edited by Xenophob

If nothing else, it would replicate the hilarity of UD/TFTD when you'd go pick up a stunned alien, shove it in your backpack, and several turns later have it spring out again--naked, weaponless, and panicking.

"This is revenge for what you did to our rednecks!"

Either way, hitting something with the stun rod should stun it permanently.

Baby sitting stunned aliens was one of the worst mechanics in UD. (and TFTD, and Apocalypse...)

I disagree. If the humans can "wake up" from stunning the aliens should too. Also, I don't know about you, but I was lucky to capture more than one alien per mission, so there wasn't a lot of "babysitting" involved. Besides, I just shot the aliens that I'd already studied since capture and the risk involved just wasn't worth it.

I'd just hate to park soldiers with an alien just to re-stun it every turn just to be sure it doesn't wake up.

It's perfectly fine if aliens / soldiers wake up from smoke / gas stunning. Just the stun rod should last for the rest of the mission.

Stun weapons (specifically designed for the effect) should stun longer than from environmental causes. It may not be realistic, but it adds a certain gameplay element of added pressure on those long missions where everything seems to start going wrong..."only have ten more minutes before all our research subjects wake back up and we've got to go ask them if the rag still smells like chloroform!"

If aliens can wake up after being stunned.(which is fine, adds tension) Can we at least get some kind of numbers/assumptions of how long an alien might be out?(maybe when doing autopsy of the alien your Scientists can give you an assumption time on how long your weapons should stun said aliens if it was at half health/fullhealth/neardeath. Obviously you never know for sure how near death the alien was, but you could make estimates)

It seems silly to learn by trial and erorr and lose good people to that.(What am I paying those scientists for?)

So. We have dentists, in charge of interrogations - this explains why the aliens *always* talk.

On-topic, while I agree with aliens becoming incapacitated as a good way to add some unexpected outcomes, I wonder what restrictions could be applied to it by Chris et al?

For example, being caught in the blast of an explosive weapon, or being criticaly hit in the head, would have a chance to stun, but shockwaves would only affect organic enemies, and not the robots. Likewise, robots/aliens in suitable gear would be unaffected by gas or smoke.

Edited by Dix

• 3 months later...

In TFTD, the notoriously tough lobstermen are so dangerous even when they fall unconscious. Any given turn they could awake and cut your trooper in half and no amount of close range shots will be quick enough to save the trooper unless you spot the lobsterman in time. I think that just add to the creep factor. Especially when you are in the alien colony hoping to make it out with a navigator or leader for interrogation. Personally, I think that if you have a "safe stun" it will take away from that.

So. We have dentists, in charge of interrogations - this explains why the aliens *always* talk.

Sure, they always talk. It's just that you can't understand a word through all the cotton wool.

It would be a bit sinister to have a research topic where you must gas 30 Caesians just to get their stun tolerance. Obviously, in the real world this is exactly what would happen (though not to aliens :))

It would be a bit sinister to have a research topic where you must gas 30 Caesians just to get their stun tolerance. Obviously, in the real world this is exactly what would happen (though not to aliens :))

'Course...it would be EASIER to just bash the damned Caesians with the smoke grenades. Same effect, just a lot shorter (Pelting them with the things works as well).

I have no idea who made thothkins a Commander and Pancakes a Commissar, but thou shan't question chain of command...

I've always been ridiculously bad at stunning aliens, so this never really was an issue for me, but I do seem to remember stunning some poor extraterrestrial devil when he strayed to close to a rocket that found its way into his UFO. This was a looong ways back though, so maybe it got removed?

If nothing else I might just make every new recruit survive a mission on shock-jock duty, too see if they're worthy of the Xenonaut badge and all. At least that should help me catch some more of them poké... I mean aliens, alive.

Pancakes was always a Commissar. I think one of the Commissar's parents was part of the Charge of The Cupcake Cavalry. SO, with that kind of breeding the Commissar was fast tracked through officer school.

The only school li'l thothkins had, was the school of hard knocks. That was on a good day. Not a day off. We didn't have any of those when there were pyramids still to be finished.... rant... drone... politically incorrect comment of empire... drone...

Ah, those great days of EU1994 where soldier failed to stun the alien and it turned round and eviscerated him in the alien turn. Now that taught you about fire teams.

So you climbed this far up by virtue of being the only one not eviscerated by some sodding alien? I do suppose that weeds out the... Undesirables, at the very least.

And now I can't shake the image of thothkins toiling under the Egyptian sun, building the great pyramids, block by block, all under the stern gaze of the Pharaoh. Or didn't I even need to duck for that reference to fly over my head (which seems equally, if not more, likely)?

So you climbed this far up by virtue of being the only one not eviscerated by some sodding alien? I do suppose that weeds out the... Undesirables, at the very least.

It's the X-Com way. Buy dozens of rookies. Get promoted for doing absolutely nothing as a result. Use their corpses to build a huge pyramid reaching to Cydonia. Game over.

Incidentally, stunned aliens stay stunned until the end of the mission. Stunned soldiers stay stunned until the end of the mission, unless revived with a medipack.
I don't suppose you could revive an alien with a medipack could you? It might be useful (although for the life of me I can't figure why right now.)

I don't suppose you could revive an alien with a medipack could you? It might be useful (although for the life of me I can't figure why right now.)

If you're that way inclined, it does make a good form of target practice for the greenhorns. Or maybe you're a goody-two-shoes and can't bear to bring the poor bugger back to the eggheads?

I've always wanted a pet Sibellan myself.