[V17.1 AI/Capture] Self-immolating alien is dead, captured, and not research.

Mesa map, fired a Hunter rocket at the door of a scout. Alien inside promptly ran outside straight into a fire tile and "died". The other alien on the map got "destroyed" with a direct rocket-launcher hit.

Mission completion screen listed one alien captured, but no research topics show up. All I can think is that smoked alien meat was too delicious for the squad to share with the eggheads back at base and they stripped just a few too many spare ribs off while it was out...

The green kind. (Sorry, it's going to take a long, long time to avoid using the UD names.)

I have managed to capture live aliens before--via smoke inhalation, usually, never intentional as I've never gotten to research stun weapons yet and nobody's lived to get within stun baton range--and there is a research topic associated with them after the mission is completed. This has happened a couple of times, on the mission completion screen it will show "<name> <role> .... SENT TO RESEARCH DIVISION" when the capture is properly registered.

I don't remember when the first capture was but I know there was at least one in a 16 build and I've seen two now with 17.

It may be as simple as what roles are tagged as researchable, and this was a non-tagged role. The only role I can recall seeing working 'properly' is guard.

Edited by Piloter

from my experience you can only research each species of alien once, all captures after that will get destroyed.

(i went a little crazy with smoke grenades on easy difficulty and this seems to be the case...even managed to get one alien with the stun stick, but as it is there is not much point)