[Nice to have] Could we have the option to export/import our most valuable squaddies?

One of the things that I noticed about X-Com and the X-Comish games that came after it are the stories. Tales of derring do, of close shaves, of cheap shots. The stories that most often got shared on the interwebs were the exploits of the best/most amazing squaddies that rose from the herd. The meatsacks who were never expected to last more than a mission, that went on to outlast ever other guy who came before or after. The guys who made the hardest, most difficult shots, but couldn't hit a barn door five feet in front of them. And I was wondering, would it be possible not just to share the stories about these squaddies, but to share the squaddies as well? Would it be possible to have some kind of an import/export function where we could export the squaddies who we were really proud of, so other people could import them into their own games? The value it would add to the game would to help foster a long-lasting sense of community among the players (I can just imagine people swapping and trading their best guys). There's an awful lot of attachment that people put on these bits of pixellated flesh (as evinced by repeated requests for things like memorials and full name changing ability). This would be the next logical step.

One of the things that I noticed about X-Com and the X-Comish games that came after it are the stories. Tales of derring do, of close shaves, of cheap shots

Yeah, no shortage of cheap shots round here :)

I thought just having a notes part of the UI so you could type up some good memories to screendump for posterity was asking a lot. Being able to export them would be something (although I'd still like the notes to remind me later why I exported them).

Just imagine...your twenty first game of Xenonauts, with your best 10 Xenonauts fighting for Earth's survival.

Of course, there's some questions about you importing a grizzled veteran into the start of the game and such...

I think some savegame file editor will do the job. They were developed for previous games and this one is no exception. And if authors will release some kind of their tools it will be even simplier. Or every soldier's stat will be kept without encryption, then with any hexeditor you can extract needed block from savegame.

Your squaddies, with your memories attached, don't really mean anything to another player.

That is the real difference between this feature and something like a memorial.

Unless memorials, medal descriptions and biographies are also added and transferred they would just be another grunt.

If all of those things were done then it could still mean no more to another player than a random background generated by the game.