Suicidal Civilians

That with the Civilians reflect an bulk panic, an wrong instinct Decission and an Secure-Duty. You never know what Civilians will do. You still have minimum 4 Options what can happen in Games (like X-Com, Xenonauts, Battletech etc.):

1. moving instinctly in Safety (programming that only makes the Game boring)

2. moving instinctly in Danger (programming that only makes the Game unwinable)

3. being paralised in the open Areal (Street etc.) or in an Building (programming that only gives you an 50 / 50 Chance to kill them with friendly Fire)

4. taking a Weapon an try to help (that´s implemented with the Policemen, Military, Securty or Freelancer-Civilian which have the duty to secure the others)

You see that the Problem is complex. Between the first 3 Points you need an balance, then it´s perfect. Without them such Games would be totaly boring.

Edited by Alienkiller

18 hours ago, ih8nixon said:

Anyone else notice that the civilians really, really like the fire? I've seen at least two of them end their turns in fire and kill themselves.

I've not seen them incinerate themselves, but it wouldn't surprise me. Their AI is very basic at the moment.

We're planning to do a big AI rework as one of our Early Access milestones so their current behaviour isn't what will be in the final game.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chris said:

I've not seen them incinerate themselves, but it wouldn't surprise me. Their AI is very basic at the moment.

We're planning to do a big AI rework as one of our Early Access milestones so their current behaviour isn't what will be in the final game.

One of my favorite moments so far playing X2, was when a farmer with a shotgun charged into a downed alien ship (a Destroyer or Cruiser I think) and managed to blow his way through the defenders and reach the command room before getting gunned down. Absolute Mad-Lad and I hope I can still see things like that in the future hahahaha!

Never posted on the forum before but much love and support to you and the team for sticking through with the development of this!

20221208141146_1.jpg

20221208145012_1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...
On 5/18/2023 at 12:57 AM, Ruggerman said:

I also find it hard to believe that people would run into the alien space ship that you would think would be certain Death!!

In todays economy, a UFO trashing your field is a death sentence for a farmer. No insurance will cover that and by next season, the bank will take his land and everything that's on it. He had nothing to lose. Only revenge to take. 

• Haha 2

On 5/17/2023 at 1:55 AM, Alienkiller said:

You see that the Problem is complex. Between the first 3 Points you need a balance, then it´s perfect. Without them such games would be totally boring.

I think to balance it, civilians and local forces can still be fairly dumb, but a deft Commander could move his soldiers close to them and give them orders. Like basically snapping them out of their panic and telling them to evacuate and get to safety.

And local forces I could see the game allowing you to take control over them, when you get one of your guys up close, and the game letting you use them like a part of your squad for the remainder of the mission. We could say that because they don't have Xenonaut specialized training, if they panic or flee from low morale you lose control over them and to get it back you have to go tell one of your guys to snap them out of it again.

Edited by Serious Sponge

In other games like this( not naming). I used to mind control  aliens for cover while walking around the bases and ufos that was  so funny. I think someone was right in want they said look at all the films that most of the people are running to danger. Today most go to danger to get it on their streaming channels. I would go there and to see wants going on and your properly right get shot at and if not kill run away  but would not run into flames cant say if I would too help help someone or not, likely I never be in that place to know.  I like the idea of the police going for cover and attacking the aliens and the army running head first into danger.  I seen on one of my missions a soldier( not my unit) in 3 turns take out 4 reapers.