[v27.0 base] Armory dropship autofill should pick uninjured soldiers

The Auto-Fill Dropship button is welcome.

In my case I have 14 soldiers. 4 were injured on the last mission. The auto-fill button filled the dropship, but it picked a slightly-injured soldier [92% health] instead of one of the two fully-healthy soldiers available. I know health>50% can go into combat now, which is good, but if there's a choice between injured and not-injured, the injured soldier should be left to recover. Only if there are no healthy soldiers available should it pick to auto-fill, and then it should do it in order of health.

3 minutes ago, SoftwareSimian said:

In my case I have 14 soldiers. 4 were injured on the last mission. The auto-fill button filled the dropship, but it picked a slightly-injured soldier [92% health] instead of one of the two fully-healthy soldiers available. I know health>50% can go into combat now, which is good, but if there's a choice between injured and not-injured, the injured soldier should be left to recover. Only if there are no healthy soldiers available should it pick to auto-fill, and then it should do it in order of health.

Thanks. Yes, this is a good suggestion. We'll get this updated for the next fix.

19 hours ago, SoftwareSimian said:

Actually, the coder responsible thinks the game is already set up to work this way, and can't reproduce your issue. Can you provide a save game so we can check what's happening?

Is it possible those other two uninjured soldiers were still in transit, or something like that?

6 hours ago, SoftwareSimian said:

I'm not sure... I went looking for a suitable savefile and was about to load it to check and Steam auto-updated my game 3 minutes ago and I can't load any old saves. I've attached my best-guess savefile (based on timestamp) if that's any help.

auto_strategy_after_combat-2.json 321.9 kB · 0 downloads

Interesting. This is happening in the save file but it's only with one soldier. So I think what's confusing you is that soldiers who are Injured rather than Wounded (i.e. above 50% HP) aren't automatically removed from the dropship when it returns to base, because they're still allowed to go out on missions. And then when you click the button, it only fills the empty slots.

I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to automatically unassign injured soldiers from the dropship too. I think some players would find it useful, others annoying. It might be best just to set up right-click on a soldier name to remove them from the dropship so it's quick for a player to do that if they want maybe?

As an FYI - in future, if you switch to the Experimental Legacy branch (or just Legacy branch if you're part of the Playtest group) then you can access the old version and check your saves.

I realized I could access the legacy branch just after I posted, but I didn't bother to go back and try it at that point, sorry.
I'm pretty sure I had removed the injured-not-wounded soldiers from the dropship to only have the full-health ones and the button put some injured ones back in, but that's going from memory.
I'll keep an eye on this in the future and if I can replicate the bug I'll send you a new savefile.

Personally what I would find most useful would be that any wounded or injured soldiers are removed from the dropship automatically. Moreover, I would like to remove their high-tech equipment that isn't available in unlimited quantities (armor, weapons) from their loadout so I can give it to their replacement. However, I understand this might be a personal-preference thing and automating it one way will annoy half the players. My suggestion is that if you right-click on a soldier in the dropship list it will remove them from the dropship, and if you Ctrl+right-click it also strips them of manufactured items. This would save me a bunch of time after each mission.