WE ARE FEW, WE ARE X-DIVISION: A Xenonauts X-Division AAR

INTRODUCTION

Hello everyone. Let my first briefly introduce myself since this is my first post on these forums. I’m nearing my mid-forties, I live in Slovenia, and I like to play strategy (and other) games. I have played X-COM and UFO Enemy Unknown over and over as a kid and discovered it again some 4-5 years ago. I have just completed my first and only vanilla X:CE playthrough on normal difficulty without ironman. From the outset I planned to play Xenonauts with X-Division mod since I like modded games and reading about X-Division mod I’m led to expect much higher difficulty and much deeper gameplay. I thought it would be a good idea to get myself somewhat acquainted with vanilla gameplay first – hence one vanilla playthrough.

This will be my first attempt at writing an AAR of any kind. It will also be my very first attempt at X-Division playthrough apart from a short sniff of 3-4 in-game days of gameplay. For this new game I have chosen NG (standard?) difficulty with Ironman, and I think all options as set by X-Division installer. X:CE version is 1.65/0.35.1 and X-Division 1.00.11c New Dawn.

What about your motivation for writing an AAR, you might ask? Well, when I played another game a couple of years ago read some AARs from various players and it was great fun reading them, especially when the player/writer had an interesting story to tell. IMHO what makes a good are somewhat developed characters and story plots, so I will try (and probably fail) to write up something in that vein. I don’t know if this kind of a written AAR thing is even interesting to anyone anymore because of YT, but it doesn’t hurt anyone so why not... I have an excuse to learn something new and write in English.

Regarding the additional lore, research, weapons and new mechanics of X-Division mod I have absolutely zero prior knowledge of it apart from reading some of the spoilers in mod descriptions. No videos about X-Division were viewed, so anything I write will be my fresh view of the game developments as they occur.

Finally, I’ve taken the liberty to name some characters that will be “contributing” to the story. The names might or might not resemble actual national/ethnical naming conventions and I apologise to anyone that might find my made-up names inappropriate in that regard. As final disclaimers, English is not my primary language, and I could be using some other language expressions wrong, so please bear with me on this…

Without further ado, lets dive in. We start with...

THE CHARACTERS

Military non-combat personnel:

General Hugh-Trevor Rhys-Martins
59, British
General, X-Division Commander-in-Chief (C-in-C)
calm, sophisticated and charmless with a rare spark of charisma

image.jpeg.fd7f8ba549afb62e8f7acd5c9c6e485d.jpeg

Yevgeny Klimentovich Voroshilov
51, Russian
Senior Officer, Executive officer to C-in-C and Chief of Operations (X-O/C-Ops)
son of a retired Soviet Union marshal; temperamental and loud

image.jpeg.58863219512119b346309bba2553f3d6.jpeg

Kurt Reynalds
54, american
Senior Officer, Air Detachment Commander (ADC)
WW2 pilot (4 kills) and cereer officer; an Air Force man through and through

image.jpeg.51ae5985df31c9c0fef9cbdb5a380c0c.jpeg

Luciano (Loukianos) “Lucky” Corelli
39, Italo-Greek
Junior Officer, Quick Reaction Force Commander (C-QRF)
believes in his soldiers, can get emotional (inherited this from his papa)

image.jpeg.2ae626fb5d72b005d09e8711cf0098d2.jpeg

Andy MacGuinnes
36, Irish
NCO, Recruitment & Drill Officer
recruits tremble when he is around, but otherwise he is a fine fella'

Petra Horachkova
33, Chech
NCO, Communications Liaison Officer (CLO)
new face in X-Division, brought in to ease communications with outside world

image.jpeg.05efc9c638dc5806fd150f2db651dfe2.jpeg

Knut Mathiessen
47, Danish
NCO, Quartermaster
seldom seen outside stores and never without a cigarette (he makes certain nobody sees what he hides in his desk drawer)

Pedro de Gini
48, Spanish
NCO, senior radar operator
reliable and experienced

Anatoly Arkadyevich Shvetsov
33, Russian
NCO, Interceptor pilot
distrusts all western equipment

Junichi Akamatsu
34, Japanese
NCO, Interceptor pilot
son of a WW2 Japanese fighter ace

Horatio Gisbergh
23, American
enlisted, junior communications operator
off-duty he is seen around wearing headphones, listening to casettes on his brand new Walkman, or writing something in his notebook.

Combat personnel - soldiers:

image.jpeg.37854ce2b878e3de307a394ac1028165.jpeg

Civilian personnel:

image.jpeg.080ba848cb8a6008461f96728bd1bfe2.jpeg

Dr. Amalric Dreyfuss
41, French
Lead X-Division Scientist
brilliant scientist and a pain to work with

Diego Vasco da Silva Magan
35, Brasilian
Junior Scientist
Silent, keeps to himself

image.jpeg.adc8709ce437028d9e83608e34e71615.jpeg

Vitaly Kaganov
38, Ukrainian
Lead engineer
dislikes intellectuals

Veronika “Verka” Burszinska
47, Polish
Officer’s mess & kitchen assistant
a loving mother and wife, loves a good gossip

Edited by TinMan_JB
Bio change for Gisbergh to go in-line with story; name correction, spoiler tag added
  • Thanks 1

CHAPTER 1 – THE GATHERING CLOUDS

August 21st 1979

[08:21 GMT; Internal memo to all X-Division personnel by Petra Horachkova]

On authority of C-in-C: All personnel are to return to base immediately. All vacations are cancelled until further notice.

Liaison & Communications Department

[later that day; Vera’s letter to her daughter Yulija]

My darling Yulka!

I’m so unhappy and I’m so sorry, dear, but my vacation has been cancelled and I won’t be able to come to your wedding. I can’t tell you much except that there has been some ********** at work. Oh, my baby, I miss you so much and I want to be with you on the 2nd, but it just won’t be possible. I must go now, my shift is up. Please give a big hug to Andzrej and little Mila for me and take care of your father. You know how he gets all emotional, and then he starts crying. I hope this ******** will be over soon and I can still come and be there with you on your big day. Love you!

Your mama

August 25th 1979

[22:25 GMT; Horatio Gisbergh’s diary entry]

There has been much going on in the past 4 days since all personnel has been summoned back to base. I sense something is going to happen, otherwise they wouldn’t activate as all.

August 28th 1979

[Vera’s letter to her husband]

Janek, my dear, don’t be a fool. You know well I can’t go until given a leave. If you’d heard what I hear at the ****** ***** you’d understand, but you know I can’t tell you anything. They need me here, and remember - they pay really good. Maybe in the spring we could finally get a credit and order ourselves that little Skoda if all goes well. So please remain calm and take care of Yulija and the wedding. You know how emotional she can get. Behave now and when I come home we will have some fun, my big man!

Your Verka

August 29th 1979

[22:15 GMT; Horatio Gisbergh’s diary entry]

Today we started experiencing severe communications problems. There was some unexplained interference in the past two days but not like this! Looks like the orbital comms satellites are shutting down one by one. As to what is causing this nobody knows or is willing to tell us. X-O just yells at us to re-establish the lines. All three of us in the comms were sweating our butts off all day to no avail and in the evening, we had to abandon the satellites. Now we rely on ground lines. What in the world is happening??

August 30th 1979

[00:37 GMT; Horatio Gisbergh’s diary entry]

OK, this explains the satellites. Since I’m under strict threat of repercussions if anyone else should learn about it, I won’t write it down. Let’s just say I was sending an off-world message that the Dreyfuss character put together for the last two hours. D***! I need a beer. Nah, I need something stronger...

[06:03 GMT; C-in-C memo to all X-Division departments]

Please report status of your department ASAP

[06:30 GMT; Research department report by Lead researcher Dr. Amalric Dreyfuss]

I am pleased to report that our laboratoire at X-NACOM is in full working order, all the instruments are well maintained and properly calibrated. I am currently dealing with a couple of small experiments that are progressing nicely but I am ready to take on any serious research into new fields of science at any time. But I need more personal assistants, which I only have 10 at the moment. And they are not on my level for sure. Please consider allocating more funding for an additional laboratoire, instead of throwing it at those pistoneheads at Engineering that only know how to break things.

Amalric, Dr. Dreyfuss

[06:37 GMT; Air detachment report by ADC Kurt Reynalds]

Commander, as I was condensing in previous reports, I have at my disposal a mere two F-17 fighter jets of U.S. origin, converted from standard F-16s to what we think is best adaptation for combating UFOs. We have taken out all unnecessary equipment and stripped the airframe almost to the bone to make them faster and more agile, so that they may have a chance of catching and dogfighting with the saucers. However, all this was achieved at the cost of armament, as the airframe has become very delicate can only carry a single Sidewinder A-A rocket and an internal cannon. If the ET comes down on us I sincerely can’t imagine how we do much harm to them. I therefore strongly suggest ASAP a renewal of our experimental fighter programme that has collapsed some 10 years ago from funding cuts, and building more interceptor bases around the globe, funding permitting. Also, if we want to intercept anything, we should build a network of radars, covering at least the most important areas. We do have an AWACS plane that we “borrowed” from one of our patrons, but it can only cover so much land and has a considerable down time after each mission, therefore it is not the best of options. Without the radars and better planes, we are sitting ducks.

Reynalds, ADC

[06:39 GMT; Quick Reaction Force report by QRF Commander Luciano Corelli]

Commandante, Q.R.F. is ready to meet any ground force. Al mio comando be 10 soldiati professionali from all the world, from Nato and from iron curtain country. Immagine there is some tensioni between NATO and Warsaw Pact personni, espezialle between Americani and East German soldati, ma con capo fermo si lasciano alle spalle le loro differenze e sono una squadra efficace! Scusi, I try to say they are effettive with a firm boss. MacGuiness say to me the squad spirit is very good and I have no reason to doubt. Team is armed with standard armi da fanteria americani,we have good firepower to fight with all known organizzazioni, ma anche la mafia!

Pero, the quick reaction is really no quick reaction. We have uno elicottero! Uno elicottero, commandante. Ma ciò che è abbastanza è abbastanza! This thing is so slow! We need some faster macchine, no?

Capitano Corelli

[06:53 GMT; Engineering report by Lead engineer Vitaly Kaganov]

Komrade, my men be ready to product any thing. My men build many nuclear submarine with own hand, is the best submarine in Soviet flot and in world. Tell french doctor to give me blueprint and we build, but good.

Kaganov

[06:57 GMT; Chief of operations report by X-O/C-Ops Yevgeniy Klimentovich Vorshilov]

Komrade Commander, I report all X-Division personal at base. We are bad ready for serious alien invasion. Only one base for operation of our soldat is bad for defence. In SSSR everybody know big number is must for success. I demand we build more base around the world on all continent where we can have more soldier and some tank. Don’t listen to american covboy pilot Reynalds, he think he can shoot down NLO UFO with his toy plane. I say soldier be the answer to alien, real soldier with real gun and some tank. When they land on Zemlya, we send soldier with tank, bullet to the head or to the back and no more alien. We in SSSR we know how it is done.

Operation room secure. Communication secure after I yell on Gisbergh american boi and his team all yesterday. Bezopasnost Security good, we have no spy and letter of all person is read and sensitiv information we censor as need-I personally instruct Horachkovna how do it.

Yevgeniy Klimentovich

[08:00 GMT; C-in-C memo to Quartermaster]

I am still awaiting your report, Quartermaster!

[08:22 GMT; Quartermaster report by Knut Mathiessen]

Commander, excuse me, there were many shelves to count. That I already did 10 days ago and reported in great detail. Alas, here is my updated report...

X-NACOM base is well stocked with provisions and standard combat equipment. We have enough light infantry weapons and good supply of ammunitions to face any outside threat. We also have a healthy stock of jet fuel, air rockets and air torpedoes and if need be we can easily get more. The kitchen is well provided by local suppliers and we have ample drinking water to last out even if the supply breaks of any cause.

As far as I’m concerned, we are hygge! K. M.

August 31st 1979

[12:37 GMT; C-in-C internal memo to all X-NORAM personnel]

All personnel to Hangar 4 at 14:05 hours for emergency briefing.

[14:05 GMT; C-in-C emergency personnel briefing at Hangar 4]

Y. K. Voroshilov, X-O: Everybody, attention!

H.-T. Rhys-Martins, C-in-C:
Thank you, Yevgeniy. [shuffling through papers]. X-Division, at ease!

Ahem… [adjusting the shirt collar that seems too tight for the task ahead]

Men... and women!

I stand before you to convey to you a worrying development... in which it seems our organization will have to play a pivotal part. We, the X-Division, have been, after many years of stagnant funding and indifferent world leaders, called to face the threat of... an extra-terrestrial force… [murmurs in the audience] ... of unknow origin and of unknown intentions. These extra-terrestrials have not returned communications despite our continuous attempts to do so. We must therefore assume that the extra-terrestrial intentions are hostile… [loud murmurs and yelling in the crowd] … now, men, now… please calm down… [murmurs not subsiding]. X-O, if you would?

Y. K. Voroshilov: Kak prikazhete! Vnymanie... ATTENTION!

H.-T. Rhys-Martins: Thank you, Yevgeniy.

Now… where was I? Ah, yes… The extra-terrestrials have not established contact despite our attempts to communicate with them therefore we must assume their intentions are… hostile [a soldier whispers something to his neighbour] …

Y. K. Voroshilov: SOLDAT, your commander speaking! You know meaning of ATTENTION??!

H.-T. Rhys-Martins: Yes, thank you... Yevgeniy.

Now...

The extra-terrestrials are to be considered hostile until we establish communication with them and learn about their true intentions. We have been asked by the funding nations of the Earth to arrange for immediate defensive provisions of all continents and all their peoples, where ever they might be. This means we need to step up our efforts and I count on every and each one of us to give 110% of our commitment to this cause.

There have already been some extra-terrestrial activities that we know of and must be considered hostile. Some of you and your close ones may have already been affected by these actions. Since august 29th the extra-terrestrials have been systematically shutting down Earth’s communications going through orbital satellites and it took them mere three days to shut down every one of them. There are currently no working satellites remaining in Earth’s orbit. We are dealing with an extremely cunning and unpredictable enemy... Nobody knows what action they might take next, but luckily, we have some smart heads among us [nods at Dr. Dreyfuss and his research group in the crowd] that will start analysing the data we are gathering worldwide as we speak. I believe we will have some answers soon. The sooner the better, Dr. Dreyfuss!

Let me also remind you of the Iceland incident from 20 years ago and the cost that was paid at the time to contain it. For those among you who do not know what I am talking about, I have authorised the disclosure of a highly classified file from the archives to all X-Division personnel. Study it, learn from it. That is all. I believe everybody knows their part. To your stations and keep your eyes open!

Yevgeniy, if you will...

Y. K. Voroshilov: Dismissed!

Edited by TinMan_JB
  • Haha 1

Finally, I've had the time to progress this AAR. It's longer than I envisaged from the beginning. Much longer. I hope you'll enjoy the read. I present...

CHAPTER 2 – FIRST ENCOUNTER

September 1st 1979

[00:03 GMT; Officer’s meeting at conference room at the back of the command centre]

[The mess & kitchen assistant Verka is coming in with a pot of fresh coffee]

Rhys-Martins: Thank you, Mrs. Burszinska! [Verka remains standing by the table]

Rhys-Martins: That will be all, thank you! You can go now! [Verka leaves slowly, very slowly]

Reynalds: I’m tellin’ you, Eugene... If we don’t shoot them down, they will do as they please! Then we won’t have enough of your soldiers to contain the mess they will make on the ground.

Voroshilov: And how you do that? Shoot them down? How??! You have 2 toy fighters in your hangar! And have one base! Soldiers, they can fly far in helicopter, and kill alien on ground. If they take tank with them, more better!

Corelli: Scusi, mi dispiace... I say again... helicopter be-a too slow-a. When they arrive-a, the alien is long-a gone. My men no afraid of any alien, but-a...

Voroshilov: Yes, Corelli. We know your men are not afraid of anyone.

Corelli: Ma, e vero! Is true... [seems offended]

[Verka finally leaves through the door]

Reynalds: Commander, we should be expanding our radar coverage ASAP. We already squander precious time! All the while we’re in here, the eee-teee is doing who knows what who knows where to who knows who.

Voroshilov: This, again... [shakes his head in disbelief]

Rhys-Martins: I have heard enough. From both of you. Yevgeniy, we do not know what the enemy is doing. We are, as Kurt says, clay pidgeons.

Reynolds, mumurs to himself: (Sitting ducks...)

Voroshilov: But the soldiers...

Rhys-Martins: Please, Yevgeniy... let me finish. If we merely wait for them to land or what ever their next course of action is, we lose initiative. And as Corelli pointed out, by the time we reach their landing zone, if that would even be in the range of the helicopter, they could all be gone. Then we would have nothing. No dead aliens, no UFO remnants to study and possibly many dead civilians. That is the least favourable outcome I can imagine, wouldn’t you think? [Voroshilov sulking]

Now, we are terribly under-funded and our relations with the funding regions are not stellar – actually, they are pretty weak at the moment, but we have some resources at hand nonetheless. If we use those resources to re-establish some of our abandoned bases across the globe, and gather some equipment to make them functional again, we could at least see what the extra-terrestrials are up to. I believe that is currently the most optimal course of action. Someone get me a map!

Corelli: Si, Commandante! [runs out the conference room and promptly returns with a map; meanwhile the 3 seniors are pouring themselves coffee...] Prego, Commandante!

Rhys-Martins: Thank you, Luciano. Lets see now...

image.jpeg.8ec30a1bb0b92d80f4e1e2a2f6e2771e.jpeg

Yes, we had 8 operational bases during our high tide to cover the whole world. However that was 15 years ago, when the world governments were still under impression of a potential threat after the Iceland incident. Since then we had to abandon all but this last base we now dwell in. Those abandoned will be in a poor state of disrepair and equipment, whatever remains, will have been all but rotted by now.

[turns to Reynalds]

Kurt, I place this matter in your hands. See the yearly reports about abandoned bases to assess their state, recent reports hould give a pretty realistic picture I presume? Fine... Also check with Horackova about the available funds. I Believe there should be enough to re-establish at least two if not three bases. I leave it to your judgment as to which of the abandoned bases to use. Then, when the command rooms are functional again, we can plan further steps and get in some radar equipment we will scratch from someone. Any questions?

Reynalds: No, Sir!

Voroshilov: Commander...But what is good radar when we cannot...

Rhys-Martins: Yevgeniy, please do not question my decisions. I am aware of your position and there will be, I suspect all too soon, a good time for ground operations, I am pretty much certain of that. Anything else?

Voroshilov: Njet, Komandant! [grinds his teeth]

Fine then. This meeting is adjourned. Time to get a quick nap before those buggers start pouring down…

[00:11 GMT; ADC Kurt Reynald’s operational diary entry]

C-in-C agrees to restart ops in abandoned bases. Teams sent to 2 best locations: X-NORAM (USA)  and X-SEAC (Taiwan). ETA on command rooms operational: 10 days

image.jpeg.8e847e17bb452d4e2f6791a246be4195.jpeg

3 additional radar sets have been requested from USAF to install at new locations and one additional as a backup if any one breaks down.

[00:47 GMT; hangar 3, pilot ready room]

Shvetsov: Junichi, my friend... This american plane, they are no good to shoot down UFO. You need… emmm… speed, to catch it and get in favorite position to shoot rockets. What good is dog fight for? And all I see in this plane is dogfight. One rocker and cannon, ph! Give me some soviet interceptor! I alwayss say soviet plane is better then american.

Akamatsu: [bows slightly] You are wrong. This plane is very good. It is fast enough and it can dance in the sky like...

Shvetsov: Dance in the sky!? Hahaha! You dance all you like, I like to shoot down UFO, harasho?! [he slaps Akamatsu friendly across the back] Hahaha!!

Akamatsu: Hai! [bows slightly again, a bit ashamed]

Shvetsov: What good is dancing when you have a UFO to shoot down, eh? And this won’t shoot down UFO.

Akamatsu: You could get much worse. Like the Starfighter I heard they use in another mod. [heh :)] That thing is more danger to the pilot than to the enemy! It can not turn and is not much faster than our F-17. I am proud to serve on this plane! Like my father before me was on his Zero.

Shvetsov: Oh… your father, the big ace? How many planes did he shoot down?

Akamatsu [proud]: my father shot down 27 enemy…

Shvetsov: Ahhh... da... 27… My father, let me tell you... My father shoot down 10000, 20000 fashist planes! Ha! His name be on all soviet figher planes, and bomber planes! I know what a good interceptor look like! And this… it is not.

Akamatsu: [bows deeply, deeply shamed] Hai!

[01:11 GMT; Command room, radar station]

de Gini: [staring to his radar strobe screen, to him self] What is this?? [picks up the phone]: Chief, you better come see this.

Yes, a clear signal. It just enter Earth’s atmosphere above Yugoslavia.

Yes, Sir. [hangs up].

Reynalds [enters the command room, comes to de Gini]: Show me!

de Gini: Here, Sir. I have designated it UFO-01. It is moving in a south by east direction at around 1400km/h at approximately 16.000 meters. It seems to be alone.

Reynalds: Perfect, inform C-in-C. Alert the hangars, F-17-1 and F-17-2 scramble ASAP and intercept. This will be a ground controlled interception. We’ll show the s******! Oh, and call in Voroshilov.

de Gini: Yes, Sir!

[01:14 GMT, X-NACOM command room]

de Gini: Sir, both interceptors are ready to scramble!

Reynalds: Scramble Eagle.

Voroshilov, C-Ops: Scramble Eagle!

Reynalds: I just said that...

Voroshilov: [looks at Reynalds with contempt] I am executive officer, remember?

Reynalds [shrugs, to himself]: whatever...

[01:16 GMT]

de Gini: Eagle is in the air.

Reynalds: Good. Steer north-west by west, 300. Climb to 18.000. I want to give them the edge.

Voroshilov: Steer north-west by west, 300. Climb to 18.000. I want to... [becomes all red in the face; Reynalds sneers at him]

de Gini: Eagle, steer north-west by west, 300. Climb to 18.000.

Eagle-1: ...

[Rhys-Martins, the C-in-C enters command room]: Gentlemen, what do we have?

Voroshilov & Reynalds speak at the same time: A UFO, Commander! [They look at each other furiously for a moment, than Reynalds backs down and gestures Voroshilov to continue]

Voroshilov: A UFO has been detected on radar, Commander. We are tracking and intercepting with 2 planes.

Rhys-Martins: Jolly good. Carry on!

Voroshilov: Yes, Commander!

de Gini: Eagle on intercept course, sir!

Reynalds: Keep tracking, report any change.

De Gini: Yes, Sir.

[01:25 GMT]

de Gini: Sir, I am reading another signal. It just descended into atmosphere over Middle East!

Reynalds: Report contact!

de Gini: It seems to be alone. It looks different to UFO-01. Heading... west-south-west at...MIERDA! OVER 2900km/h, Sir!! Altitude 16000 meters!

Reynalds: Well, lets see what it does.

[01:27 GMT]

de Gini: Sir, UFO-02 has changed course, it is now heading directly towards Eagle!

Reynalds: Alert Eagle, tell them to keep their eyes open.

De Gini: Eagle, there is a second bogey in neigbourhood, coming from east-north-east at high speed, 16000. Keep your eyes open! Nest out.

[01:59 GMT; Eagle flight, somewhere over Egypt]

Eagle-2: Eagle-1, light reflection 2 o’clock, low.

Eagle-1: Yes, I see, Akamatsu! To Nest: see boogie, in favorite position over boogie to rear. What is your command?

image.jpeg.78c9ea265c52308c923c801fe7de8597.jpeg

Eagle-1: Harasho! We Attack. Akamatsu, let us dance!

Eagle-2: HAI!

[02:00-02:02 GMT; X-NACOM Command room]

Reynalds, takes the microfon from de Gini and talks directly to Eagle: Split flight, Eagle-1 to the left and Eagle-2 to the right!

image.jpeg.1e057972f717cfd3aea3d5a68ae54b62.jpeg

Eagle-1: Copy!

Reynalds: Eagle-1, engage!

Eagle-1: Engaging!

Reynalds: What... WHAT IS HE DOING!!! EAGLE-1, BREAK! EAGLE-2, ENGAGE IMMEDIATELLY!

Eagle-1, REPORT!

Eagle-2: Shvetsov badly hit! AAAARGH! HE IS GONE!!

Reynalds: Eagle-2?! Report!!

de Gini: I have lost Eagle-1.

Eagle-2: BANZAAA...

de Gini: I have lost Eagle-2, Sir!

Reynalds: Eagle, report!

Reynalds: EAGLE, REPORT!

Rhys-Martins: What had just happened?

De Gini: Sir... I think they are both gone.

Voroshilov: You send your men to grave, you covboi.

Reynalds, loks at Voroshilov in disdain: Say it again, you...

Voroshilov: You hear me. You send your piloty to grave in toy...

[Reynalds smacks Voroshilov in the face, and then they engage in good ol’ fist fight]

Rhys-Martins: ATTENTION!!

[Voroshilov and Reynalds snap out of it immediatelly and stand in attention, as is the whole command room]

Rhys-Martins: You bloody m*****! We may have just lost two good men and instead of acting...you fancy some fist fight!? You will report to my chambers... [they both want to leave]... AFTER!!! this is over. Now COMPOSE YOURSELVES! [turns towards shaken personnel watching all this from their posts] Same goes for all of you. I do not want to see or hear any finger pointing in this establishment! What we have just witnessed is merely a beginning. The extra-terrestrials obviously possess weapons of far greater power and destruction than we could have envisaged. There will be many more dead and if we get rowdy every time that happens we may as well shut this place down and throw the key away. That is not going to happen on my watch, do you understand?!

Some in the crowd, silently: Yes, sir.

Rhys-Martins: I asked you... DO YOU UNDERSTAND!!!?

Everybody: YES, SIR!

Rhys-Martins: Good. Carry on. [Starts towards exit from command room]

Gisbergh, from his comms post: Sir! Sir, I’m picking up a weak signal... It resemles our pilot’s distress beacons... Yes, I can hear it loudly now!

Rhys-Martins, returning to comms: Establish contact!

Gisbergh: Eagle, this is Nest. Come in! Come in, Eagle!

Rhys-Martins: On speaker, Gisbergh!

Eagle: ssSs..Eag...SshsssHh... ejecte.. sszzzsslive. We ...sshhshh... home!

[Command room explodes in cheers, people are tossing their caps to the ceiling. Voroshilow and Reynalds are hugging and clapping each other on the backs; then suddenly they stop, look at each other and shake hands.]

Rhys-Martins: Return to your posts, men! There will be time for celebration later. [To himself: if this is something to celebrate on]. This is not over yet! Yevgeniy, Kurt, what should be our next step?

Voroshilov: As both UFO are still on air and all our plane dead on ground, we wait. There is no more to do.

Reynalds: I concurr.

Rhys-Martins: Very well. Carry on and keep me informed. [Leaves Command]

[02:49 GMT]

de Gini: Sir, UFO-01 is now heading towards Kiev. UFO-02 is about 20 to 35 km to the south of X-NACOM, heading south.

[03:57 GMT]

de Gini: SIR! UFO-01 has landed near Kiev!

Voroshilov: Call C-in-C immediatelly! Where is Corelli?!

Reynalds: What is the other saucer doing?

Corelli: Prego... You called?

De Gini: UFO-02 is now just south of Addis Abeba, heading south at slow speed. Looks like patrolling.

Reynalds to Voroshilov: Would you like to try our luck with a ground assault? There are many dangers here and a very small window of opportunity...

Rhys-Martins enters Command: Report!

Voroshilov: UFO-01 land near Kiev. We have small window for oportunity to attack UFO on ground.

Rhys-Martins to Corelli: Luciano, are your men ready?

Corelli: Si, Commandante. My men-a ready for anything-a. They not fear...

Rhys-Martins: Luciano, could you please cut the c***. We are in a state of emergency.

Corelli: Scusi. Mi dispiace, Commandante...

Rhys-Martins: Well?

Corelli: Si. We have-a otto [shows with hands] soldati ready on-bord-a Charley-Uno. Standard attrezzatura...eee...equipment. Like this-a:

image.jpeg.afbc0fa585e2898b1d7a43e8d4085b72.jpegimage.jpeg.b8f7b699c74d80be96e19077b02c48aa.jpeg

Light-a, quick-a. Entriamo, neutralizziamo, usciamo [seems happy with himself]

Voroshilov: Yes, we all understand, no? ENGLISH!

Corelli: Scussi, Capo! Mi dispiace.

Reynalds: He said »we enter, we neutralize, we leave«. [seems very happy with himself]

Voroshilov: Harasho. You are now the official translator for X-Division [snarles at Reynalds]

Rhys-Martins: If you two are not going to concentrate on the task at hand you both might as well leave. I do not need schoolboys in Command. Understood?

Reynolds, Voroshilov: Understood!/ Ya ponimayu!

Rhys-Martins: Fine. Luciano, brief your men.

[Corelli leaves]

[04:24 GMT]

de Gini: UFO-02 has changed course, it is now heading north, slow speed.

Reynalds: That changes things. Window has closed.

Voroshiov: But we could still send Charly. Low above ground. Hug the ground you american say?

Reynalds: Yes, that’s it. I wonder if that would help. We can try and send them out, but if the saucer goes after them we get them back to base quickly. And if they go unnoticed, they can continue to Kiev... Yes! Good idea, Voroshilov!

Voroshilov: Thank you. Commander?

Rhys-Martins: Yes, carry on.

Voroshilov: [picks up the phone] Corelli, send your men to Kiev immediatelly. Maximum hug of ground.

It means fly low. Move! Time is important.

image.jpeg.b685d27a36b2421468397eab85aea18b.jpeg

[04:31 GMT]

de Gini: Charlie-1 is on its way.

Rhys-Martins: Very well. Track UFO-02 closely.

[04:36 GMT]

de Gini: Sir! UFO-02 has increased its speed and is heading directly towards Charlie-1. They have been spotted.

Reynalds: We should abort immediatelly while they are still close to base. We don’t want to lose the whole team in the air.

Voroshilov: [resignated] Agree.

Reynalds: Call off Charlie-1.

De Gini: Charlie-1, this is Nest. Return to Nest immediatelly. You are being hunted. Over.

Charlie-1 (on speaker): Copy, returning to Nest. Over.

[04:49 GMT]

de Gini: UFO-02 is approaching Charlie at high speed, now over 2900km/h.

Reynalds: Tell them to hurry!

De Gini: Nest to Charlie-1. Hurry up, the bandit is near! Over!

Charlie-1: Copy. Stepping on it. Over. Hang on pe...

[04:54 GMT]

Charlie-1: We see the base. We are 5 minutes out.

De Gini, to himself: Ellos no lo haran!

Rhys-Martins: What? Speak up!

de Gini: They are not going to make it, Commander! The UFO is to fast!

Reynalds, grabs the mic again: Charlie-1, put down immediatelly. I repeat, immediatelly!

Charlie-1: Nest, we are on land… BOOOM!!!SssshshsshshssshsIK.

[loud explosion is heard just outside the base]

Reynalds, shocked: What?

De Gini: They didn’t make it. UFO got them. Mierda! Cerdas! MIERDA DE CERDAS!!

Voroshilov: This is just outside base! They be landing! EVERYBODY, RUN! TAKE GEAR, SEARCH SURVIVOR! IDTI! GO!!!

[most personnel leave their posts and run outside]
Corelli, just now able to speak: Mamma mia! Miei cari soldati!!! [runs out of Command]

[05:25, Command]

Corelli, totally shaken: Commandante, segnalo. Sergente Cloe Howard is-a killed. 7 soldati survive crash, pero... they very much-a injured. Is bad-a. Mi caro Simone, he in coma... [bursts to tears]. Alexis... he walk no more no leg, e Kayta she not hear nothing they all cripple by the alien... [crying] what they do...

Rhys-Martins: Luciano! Enough! Get back to your men and make sure they get all the care they need. We will finish this later.

Corelli, in tears: Si, Commandante. [leaves, still crying]

[06:00 GMT, Command]

Gisbergh: Sir, we have received a message from Iraq. Local fighter flight on routine patrol has been ambushed at 03:27 by what they describe as a saucer. All 4 airmen KIA.

Reynalds: That must have been the b**** that shot down Eagles too. Thank you, Horace.

[07:20 GMT, Command]

Gisbergh: Another report, sir. This is really bad, sir...

Reynalds: What is it??!

Gisbergh: A military transport’s been intercepted over Iran and shot down. 54 on board... didn’t make it.

Reynalds: This is all wrong. How could we let that happen?

[08:24 GMT, Command]

de Gini: Commander, we have lost signal of UFO-02. It seems it has left the Earth’s atmosphere. UFO-01 is still on the ground near Kiev.

Rhys-Martins: And we are mere observers. Keep tracking, report any change immediatelly! [to Voroshilov and Reynalds] To conference! We need to discuss... [they all leave]

[14:50 GMT, Command]

de Gini: UFO-01 is moving again! And UFO-02 is still dashing around Middle East at high speed since its return at 08:59.

Reynalds: Let me see... Yes, it’s there. They won’t let us breathe, will they?

[22:54-00:15 GMT, Conference room]

Rhys-Martins: Have a seat, gentlemen.

Current situation?

Reynalds: Unchanged. 01 was hovering 16km above the shore of Lake Ladoga since about 16:45, completely still. It finally moved about an hour ago and left our atmosphere shortly after. 02 had a short stint to space between 8:30 and 9 hours, but has since returned and was dashing across Middle East, Europe and North Africa at high speed, all the while inflicting severe casualties. That looked like CAP to me. How they maintain that high speed all the time is a mystery to me. If only we had something faster than our F-17s... Anyway, it finally left 10 minutes after 01.

Rhys-Martins: Very well. Corelli... How are your soldiers doing? Any change?

Corelli, talks automatically like a machine: Commandante. Caporale Pancaldi is-a critical, in coma. He not live-a through the night-a. Caporale Dubois is bad-a injured, lost-a his left-a leg-a, sui sedativi. Caporala Horvath is bad-a injured, she has-a burning over tre quatri del suo corpo... three quarters of her body. Is bad-a but-a can live. Sui sedativi. Caporale Esposti is medium-a injury, due giorni... two day to recover to combat. Is talking pero... bad pain. Caporala Thomas have many small injury, can walk. She tell she want-a fight now-a. Questo e tutto. Scusi, is all.

Rhys-Martins: Very well, Luciano. Thank you. Kurt, what about the pilots? Any word of them?

Reynolds: They are a bit bruised and shaken, but are otherwise fine. They are returning to base as we speak.

Rhys-Martins: Good job. Yevgeniy?

Voroshilov: I have nothing to report, Commandir. But I have a preposition, if I can? [C-in-C nods in agreement] Thank you. It is like: alien has strong air weapon and after one day he establish air superior.

Reynalds: Air superiority...

Voroshilov: Like I say. Air superiority. They must have strong ground weapon too. We must use caution, much caution next time. Today was bad day for X-Division and good day for alien because we jump at fist UFO like little children at ice-cream. We wait next time, see what comes down. They not worry to hurry, we have time and when more come, we pick the pickle. Harasho? Is that how you say?

Reynalds: Yes, spot on. And I agree with you on your proposition. We were acting too quick today, that is why they have us on the run ever since.

Voroshilov: I am not finish yet. Most important, we need faster interceptor. This toy... american interceptor is good for dogfight but slow to catch fast UFO. We need contact SSSR and ask to sell us some of the new MiG-25. It is fast and can take more firepower.

Rhys-Martins: Yes, a jolly good proposal. Yevgeny, see to it immediatelly!

Corelli: Con permesso...

Rhys-Martins: Go on, Luciano. [Voroshilov stays to hear what Corelli has to say]

Corelli: We need-a hospital room-a to treat our wounded soldati. This is no way-a like is today-a. They sleeping... in the barrack, is no good-a place-a for a wounded personi, ma anche per i sani. Scusi. Also bad-a for healthy. Is bad for morale.

Rhys-Martins: Jolly good, Luciano, jolly good. See to it immediatelly.

Corelli: Grazie, Commandante. [leaves]

Rhys-Martins: What about other events? Any more messages from outside?

Reynalds: Unfortunatelly, many. Gisbergh has been gathering reports of alien activity all day. They’ve been very active all over the globe, apart from Middle East and western Soviet Union they’ve also made their presence felt on both shores of North America and I believe there was some tidal disruption near Japan? [shuffles papers] Yes, here it is, near Kitakyushu.The locals don’t know how to explain it, but I think it’s evident... There have also been worse things. The worst was around Leningrad, where 01 hovered for most of the day. They report 12 people were abducted and 6 more killed. And then there are the 3 or 4 aicraft shot down. One of them was an air liner with...

[Doors open violently and in bursts Dr. Dreyfuss, eyes shining with triumph]

Dr. Dreyfuss: Listen, I have important...

Rhys-Martins: Dr. Dreyfuss! This is a private meeting of senior military...

Dr. Dreyfuss, angered: Shut up and listen! You have probably allready noticed that we are being invaded...

What follows is a transcript of Dr. Dreyfuss speach: [look it up inseide the game if you really need to read it again :]

...Both proposals are allready on your desk.

Rhys-Martins: Thank you, Dr. Dreyfuss. Would you like to add something more?

Dr. Dreyfuss: Non. J’ai fini. [leaves as he came in, bursting out]

Voroshilov: He think he smart. I said get faster planes first. S***...

Reynalds: I don’t know what you said last but I agree with your assesment.

Rhys-Martins: So, we have a plan, I presume? Voroshilov, go see if we can get our hands on some MiG-25s. Corelli is allready dealing with the medical facility. As the alien activity seems to have subsided.. Reynolds... Assemle a team and try to salvage Charlie-1. Maybe it could be put back on the roster. Oh, and one more thing. Get some contractors in and start building 2 hangars. We are going to need them. That is all. Dismissed!

Oh, I almost forgot-please arrange for the burial of the unfortunate seargant Howard tomorrow. Full military honors.

Edited by TinMan_JB
Typos mostly, some corrections

Hello everybody. Today the play is a little different, since our force is essentially eliminated for the time being. I present...

CHAPTER 3 – LICKING WOUNDS

September 2nd 1979

[08:15 GMT, Gisbergh’s diary entry]

Finished my shift at 07:00. Went to attend the funeral. Poor Howard... she was a seasoned soldier, to go like this... She was buried about 150m behind future hangar 6 in a tranquill spot, overlooking the valley. RIP, Howard.

image.jpeg.8bd636013ea2fdffea0bd280e20cb5ba.jpeg

Some of the survivors didn’t get much better though. They put them in recreation and it’s been a terrible night, they say. Nobody had any sleep. Medics don’t let anyone near, but we hear… and smell them. Stinks of charred meat... I'm gonna try to get some sleep now.

[08:30 GMT; Petra Horackova’s reporting to C-in-C]

Horachkova, standin in attention: Commander, I brought you the report you requested.

Rhys-Martins: Jolly good, Petra. Lets see... [starts reading]

Sgt. Howard has been buried with full military honors at 07:15 hours. All off-shift personnel attended. Firing squad (5 men) fired 3 salvos. Minute of silence.

Infirmary (temporarily set up in recreational facility inside living quarters) lacks proper equipment to treat the wounded. Chief medic demands we transport the three badly wounded soldiers to nearest military hospital where they can receive proper treatment.

image.thumb.png.e286999991d26b79082789d065570a17.png

Pilots shot down are on their way to base, ETA 18:00 hours. Akamatsu crash-landed, his F-17 recoverable, the other fighter was destroyed; Charlie repairable. ETA on both craft 4-5 days.

X-NACOM: new base facilities are being constructed:

Corelli organises a charity concert with Pippo Franco in his home town to gather funds for medical equipment. If all goes well, we could get equipment here in 7 or 8 days. Medical will become operational when equipment is installed, ETA 10 days.

2 additional hangars are being erected to house future aerial assets. ETA 5 days.

Teams were sent to 2 abandoned bases (X-NORAM, X-SEAC) to re-activate them , ETA 9 days

image.jpeg.1ae9e9c9764cec34a7202af50e8c3864.jpeg

Radars for new bases requested from USAF. ETA currently not known.

Corelli reports that QRF is not operational. No transport vehicle available.
MacGuinness reports 5 soldiers are combat ready; Cpl. Thomas is wounded (can barely walk) but is determined to go on the next mission regardless. Morale is low.

Research: Dr. Dreyfuss is on another project, won't say what. His assistant says it’s a small manned scout & support vehicle. They have no other viable project to pursue at the moment.

Engineering: Kaganov says they have nothing to work on, his men are getting restless.

Stores: Mathiessen says all is hygge, as he well reported 3 days ago (his words). I guess that means we are well stocked..

Rhys-Martins: Very well... [looks up] The three wounded are to be transported to nearest military medical facility at first opportunity. Debrief both pilots immediatelly upon their arrival. And tell Kaganov to send his men to help with construction. That will keep them occupied for the time being. That is all.

Horachkova: Understood, sir! [breaks attention, leaves]

[later that evening; pilot debriefing report by ADC Reynalds)

Debriefing:

Nest reported a second contact, so Eagle flight knew they must be on the lookout. Lt. Akamatsu spotted the bogey first which gave them, together with their height advantage, enough time to gain an advantageous position behind and slightly above UFO-02, when Nest gave order to engage. The flight was split into individual components, each approaching the UFO from different direction with intention to lure it into a dogfight, where they should have gained the edge and eventually shoot it down. First to engage was Eagle-1, while Eagle-2 was trying to manouver itself into a favourable target lock-on possition. At that moment, UFO-02 performed a high speed high G manouver that Eagle-1 could not follow (Shvetsov passed out during the manouver), quickly rotated to his back and opened fire. Eagle-1 was hit and aircraft disintegrated mid-air, with Shvetsov barely able to escape by ejecting. Eagle-2 was at that moment acquiring missile lock on target and fired the Sidewinder as soon as he got good tone. However the UFO simply waited for the missile to get close and then performed a violent roll to the right, causing the missile to fly by harmlessly. It then made another violent manouver to face Eagle-1 head on. Akamatsu engaged with cannon and had seen hits on the UFO (but apparently with no effect), when the enemy fired its weapon. Eagle-2 flew directly into the spray of what Akamatsu describes as fluid energy. His plane was badly damaged and spiralled towards the deck. The UFO didn't pursuit to confirm the kill, but turned away immediatelly and vanished. Akamatsu was then able to regain control of his stricken plane to crash-land wheels-up in the desert.

Analisys:

Ground control did a good job of leading the flight pre-engagement; we've entered the engagement with an advantage. This was however lost as soon as the fight was joined. This probably happened because Eagles were still led by ground control (Nest) which was slow to react to UFO manouvering.
UFOs can perform extremely violent manouvers our aircraft (and pilots) can not follow.
Sidewinder missile can lock on an UFO, but is not agile enough to secure a hit if target is evading. Also it's range is lacking.
Aircraft cannon is ineffective against UFOs.

Recommendation for future interceptions:

Only engage if in advantageous position.
Give pilots total freedom of engagement once the engagement starts. [auto-resolve:]

Prefer not to engage at close range.

ADC Reynalds

FAST FORWARD…

September 4th 1979

[11:05 GMT; Officer’s mess]

Voroshilov to Reynalds: Da! Da! ... You should come and visit when this is over! My dacha is near a big lake, full fish! We hunt fish, harasho?! You like...

Dr. Dreyfuss bursts in: I’m done! Here is the blueprint I made...

Rhys-Martins: What is the meaning of this?! We were having coffee. This is officer's...

Dr. Dreyfuss, dismissive: I do not care... Here is the Hunter blueprint [throws it on the table].

image.png.f6980cfb0af56d6b0950e9254ecbebe6.png

If you need this, make it. But tell that brick in engineering not to change any weld. It is delicately pieced together, low tolerances. [turns away to leave but remembers something else]. Oh, and I have nothing else to do now. Get me some alien things I can study. [turns away and burst out]

Reynalds: This guy...

Voroshilov: And what this blue-print? A stick to beat alien?

Reynalds grabs the shematics and studies it: Looks like… a tank... [half smiles]

Voroshilov, eyes suddenly wide open: A TANK! Let me see!

Reynalds: Here... [grinning ear to ear]

Voroshilov, studying the scemes: But... This... This is no... tank. This is a toy. A toy again! Why all give me TOYS to work!! How can I work with toy!!? S***

Rhys-Martins: Now, now, Yevgeniy... Calm down... Is there anything good in this design we could benefit from?

Voroshilov, sulking: It is no tank, I tell you. Is a light scout car with 2 machine gun. I have no need for this. I need tank to get alien, not this...

Rhys-Martins: Fine. I shall talk to Corelli then. Maybe he can put this vehicle to good use with his squad. Let’s go and see him. Anyone knows where he is?

Voroshilov and Reynalds, looking at each other, shrugging: Njet/ No!

Rhys-Martins: Let’s go and find him. I need to stretch my legs anyway.

[A bit later; Temporary infirmary]

[The three senior officers come to infirmary, finding Corelli by the bed of Cpl. Antonio Degli Esposti, playing to him on a mandolin and singing in a tender voice...]

Reynalds: Ah, Corelli, here you are! We’ve been lookin’ for ya' all over town.

Corelli: Scusi, Antonio... [stands up in attention]

Prego! I have-a been attending to...ai miei soldati, come hai commandato... eeee... as ordered-a!

Rhys-Martins: Jolly good, Luciano. Jolly good. Now... how are your men?

Corelli: Eee…Simone Pancaldi and Alexis Dubois were transporte-d to Addis Abeba yester-a-day, Signore. Dottore say the rest-a is recovering-a good! Kayta Horvath is now recovering-a very good and no more need for hospitalo, so she stay-a. She is there… prego… [to the soldier lying in bed]: wave-a your hand-a, cara mia! Dai, dai!! [soldier waves weakly]. Allora!! [points at her hapilly] She almost-a ready! Correra tra 5 giorni! Run around-a in 5 day!

Rhys-Martins: Jolly good, Luciano. Very good. We are here to see you about another matter though… Lets step outside and let the poor souls rest, shall we…

Corelli: Certo! Prego…

[all leave infirmary and gather in the middle of the living quarters, where off-duty personnel and soldiers rest]

Rhys-Martins: Research developed a small scout and support vehicle… [to Reynalds]: Show him the blueprint! Would it be if any help to your men on the battlefield, Luciano?

Corelli, studying the drawings, eyes shining: Che bella macchina! Beautiful-a machin-a, Commandante! Scusi. Mi dispiace, Commandante. This machin-a we can use. Pero… in this time-a we need-a soldati, not tank. We must bring more recruit to replace-a lost ones. I speak-a to MacGuiness, subito! [leaves]

Rhys-Martins: As you were, Luciano… [shakes his head, smiling]

[12:23 GMT; memo from Andy MacGuiness to C-in-C and Corelli]

5 recruits were called in.

image.jpeg.156f1d09e6d8de2be2e2ddc39ffd436d.jpeg

I expect their arrival in 3 days. A. MacG.

FAST FORWARD…

September 5th 1979

[11:35 GMT]

Gisbergh: Sir, a message just came in. Local forces have just shot down a UFO near Novosibirsk in central SU. They are requesting our assistance to secure the crash site. How do we respond?

Voroshilov: Wait. [picks up the phone] How is Charlie?

So not for another 2 days. Proklyatye!! [hangs up; to Gisbergh]: Tell them we have no capacity to transport team to location. They make alone or wait 2 day. Or… we order a bomb drop and no more problem? Ask them!

[a couple of minutes later]

Gisbergh: Sir, they say they won't wait for 2 days. They want situation cleared immediatelly. They say…

Voroshilov: Fine. Contact soviet air force and tell them to bomb.

Gisbergh: Yes, Sir!

[11:59 GMT]

Gisbergh: Sir, local forces have bombed the site and desteoyed it. No survivors, wreckage was searched by them.

Voroshilov: Harasho! (P********!)

FAST FORWARD…

September 7th 1979

[11:50 GMT; general report by C-Ops Voroshilov]

Commandir, from early morning we receive report of alien activity, for now above SSSR (02:02-local military flight destroyed; 07:26-transport aircraft shot down) and over Indochina (05:50-abduction near Dhaka). X-Division still paralysed, not able to respond. 2 hangar completed.

Yevgeniy Klimentovich

[12:50; Control room]

De Gini: Alert! I am tracking a UFO! Designated UFO-03, it is of the fast variety, heading south-west at 16100m, high speed.

Reynalds: Thank you. We can't respond. (Maybe it'better that way…)

Track and report.

[23:50 GMT; final daily operational report by Kurt Reynalds]

UFO-03 contact was lost at approx. 13:53, UFO left our radar covered space to the east-north-east.

5 recruited soldiers were flown in just after the UFO left our airspace.

In the evening fishermen reported marine dead zone in Laptev Sea above central Siberia.

Nothing further to report.

Reynalds, ADC

Edited by TinMan_JB
Corrected a typo

CHAPTER 4 – GREENHORNS

September 8th 1979

[00:11 GMT; Command room]

De Gini: UFO-03 is back in our surveilance zone…

Voroshilov: Track, report change. [picks up emergency phone, with a wry smile]: Very sorry to wake you, tovarish… we have UFO in space again.

[yelling from the phone]: $##!@...You wake me up for UFOs in SPACE!!? …

Voroshilov: I mean… raa-dar space [rolls eyes]. Better see and come.

Voroshilov: Do svidanya! [smug grin on his face]

[00:13 GMT; Command room]

Reynalds [comes in, his uniform all messy and in a bad mood]: show me…

[06:24; Officer's mess, 2 senior officers sipping hot coffee]

Reynalds, grumpy: Yevgeniy, are we getting those Migs? It's been a week since you said you're gonna get 'em from your buddies in Moscow! I see no Migs around!?

Voroshilov: I call my »buddis«, yes. Mig arrive soon.

Reynalds: One day, two days, 5 days?

Voroshilov: 2, 3weeks.

Reynalds: 3 WEEKS! What are they DOING? Sugar coating it or what?!! We need those planes, like yesterday!!

Voroshilov: Migs are missing a very important equipment. In SSSR is short in this equipment.

Reynalds: What? Engines, radars…

Voroshilov: Toplivo… em, jet fuel.

Reynalds [springing up, spilling his coffee on his uniform]: Are-you-PISSING-MY-PANTS!!?? [leaves, cursing]

[07:02 GMT; ADC's memo to C-in-C]

Voroshilov unable to secure interceptors. 2 F-16 fighters ordered urgently from US stocks. ETA 72h

Charlie-1 operational. AWACS-1 sent out at 05:00 to monitor possible ET activity over western Russia.

Reynalds, ADC

image.jpeg.937abc1388d06980883837b1484fdfec.jpeg

[15:27 GMT; Command room]

de Gini: Sir, AWACS reports no contacts. They are about 150km north of Novosibirsk. Their fuel level is fine.

Reynalds: Fine. Carry on. [sips coffee]

Gisbergh: SIR!! ...

Reynalds [spilling his coffee from sudden shock]: D&**! What!!? [looks at his tarnished uniform in disdain]

Gisbergh: Sir, Australian AF have shot down a small UFO 12 minutes ago near Cairns, Queensland! They are requesting...

Reynalds: All personnel to stations!

Call in C-in-C and C-Ops. And Corelli! We've been waiting for this!

[15:30 GMT]

image.jpeg.d00974a33f3ccccc3bbede77a630dbbc.jpeg

Reynalds: We've seen on the 1st and the 2nd that thay weren't in any hurry. We might still surprise them with their pants down. It’s a small window, but we...
Voroshilov: What is now local time?

Gisbergh: It is 02:30 hours, sir.

Voroshilov [to himself]: Da... da… We send Corelli…

How long ETA for Charly to get there?

Reynalds: 12, 13 hours.

Voroshilov: Da… ETA in middle of day. Commandant?

Rhys-Martins: Seems to me like an oportunity not to sneeze at. Proceed.

Voroshilov: Kak vi prikazhete! Corelli, quick brief you men and tell piloty to step out of it!

Corelli: Molto bene! Con permesso… [salutes, leaves]

[15:32 GMT; Hangar 1, operation briefing by Cpt. Corelli]

image.jpeg.230a780eaffd4cfe4dfab7555446694a.jpeg

Corelli: Squadra, easy!

Bene...Your servic-e is nee-d. We have-a un piatto crash i-n Australia [murmurs in squad, Corelli spreads hands to calm them down] Si, si... is a long way under... Pero, thi-s be our goo-d chance to show the worl-d e al nostro caro Commandante...

Squad [old gunsloud, greenhorns watching from the side]: WE NOT AFRAID OF ANYONE!!!

Corelli: Certamente! Bene, molto bene! Today you-r chief is Foge-l. Weapon chec-k!

image.jpeg.04ab888ada40e2ae2c80ade6d17b5029.jpegimage.jpeg.523e542808f9175c175c64cc3fb4fc05.jpegimage.jpeg.78c47d93baa89c960b47a74894cee739.jpegimage.jpeg.542ffb9053edcea7cb4597ce6d789161.jpeg

Vogel: Veapons CHECK! Zquad READY!

Corelli: Molto bene! Qual e il nostro motto?

Squad [old dogs loud, greenhorns still watching from the side]: ENTRARE! NEURALIZZARE! USCIRE!!!

Corelli: Andare, mak-a them prou-d! ! Embar-k! [soldiers run towards Charlie-1]

[to pilots standing to the side] Buona fortuna! Ste-p out of i-t!

[pilots look at each other, not knowing what to make of it]

[follows his soldiers with his eyes, then looks up and closes his hands in prayer; murmurs to himself]: Padre nostro che sei nei cieli...

[15:41 GMT; Command room]

de Gini: Charlie-1 is airborne.

Reynalds: Good. Let’s see if there’s any unwanted activity in Charlie’s path. Send Gipsy-1 to patrol between the Phillipines and Borneo. We need eyes.

de Gini: Yes, sir. Gipsy-1, this is Nest. New patrol area assigned. Go to... X:6822, Y:1935. Over

[23:16 GMT/11:16 local time; somewhere south of Bali]

5 [all green in the face]: I’m gonna...
4: Don’t you... [resignated] dare...
2: Ooouuughh! You s!$$!
5: Sorry...
7: Schon gut, Bieniak. We have all been zere...
4: Bieniak... From now on and for all times [stands up and gesticulates]... I christen you... »Vomit«!! [laughter from the old guns]
2: Nice one, Owen! VOOOMIIIIT!!!
1, 4: VOMIT, VOMIT!!
7: Na, na, Thompson, keep some for ze aliens. When they zee you, they will die of laughter!
[LOUD LAUGHTER from everybody, including the greenhorns - except Thomas]

[04:23 GMT; Command room]

de Gini: Sir, Charlie-1 is 2 minutes to target.

Voroshilov: Good. Corelli?

Corelli: Con permesso? Grazie. [sits down at Voroshilov’s side, takes the microphone]

Charlie-Uno, Questo e Nes-t. Fin-d a good disembar-k location not fa-r from crash! Forwar-d with caution!

image.jpeg.167034aff87563e0f4c7fa45b9e89e46.jpeg

Rhys-Martins: Put them on speakers!

Gisbergh: Yes sir!

Charlie-1: … touching down!

7: LOS! Secure ze perimeter!

Reynalds: What is happening?

Corelli: They ar-e securin-g the landin-g zone. The-n they procee-d to crashe-d UFO.

7: Landing zone secure. Zpreading out...

Was is das?!

image.jpeg.6b09ee252009d3d9b100cc46f420238c.jpeg

KONTAKT!! We have one... Lizard!?

image.jpeg.834bd00751e35a108d5d2cc4b379ebe9.jpeg

Ver&**@%! Thothkins, BACK!!!

Sch%&@*!!! Thothkins hit!! Bieniak, get him out of there!!

[shots are fired, screaming]

Corelli: Repor-t!

[sounds of mayhem: MG firing, grenades exploding...]

image.jpeg.2c1346e255ea24980c8609609549f21c.jpeg

Corelli: REPOR-T!!

7: Thothkins hit badly, but stabilised. Three... lizards neutralized.

Corelli: Make-a sure he is not bleedin-g! Procedere con estrema vigilanza!

7: Sorry, chief... I did not get that!

Corelli: Scusi... Go on but extrem-a care!

7: Jawohl.

[gunfire, grenades exploding; sound of a large fire close by]

image.jpeg.dfc2daebfbd7bf7ee33442a84b44536f.jpeg

Rhys-Martins: What is going on?

Corelli: They are fightin-g the alien to enter U-F-O. They establish-a kill zone. No alien come out liv-e!

[gunfire subsides]

Corelli: Is done. [to the microphone]: Report!

7: Six alien units neutralized! Two scratched, 1 injured and Thothkins incapacitated, but he will be fine. He says hello... We are bringing home zome lizard claws!

[Command room bursts into ecstatic cheering, Voroshilov and Reynalds are slapping Corelli across the back...]

Rhys-Martins: Jolly good, Corelli! Jolly good. [leaves]

Corelli: Grazie, Commandante!

Reynalds: Lets get your men back home, shall we! [to de Gini]: Bring them back. Gypsy-1 to shadow the return flight of Charlie-1 to warn of any unwanted attention. [leaves]

Corelli [looks up, crosses himself and mutters]: Grazie...

Edited by TinMan_JB

The one where I finally make some progress and learn about new mechanics previously unknown to me. I present...

CHAPTER 5 – SPOILS OF WAR

September 9th 1979

[21:52 GMT; X-NACOM, Hangar 1, the welcoming party]

[Vogel and his men are emerging from helicopter victoriously, some of them holding alien artifacts like winner's trophies high above their heads; 2 soldiers are dragging a corpse of a fallen alien, resembling a reptile clad in medieval samurai armour; finally, 2 more emerge with a stretcher, carying the third]

image.jpeg.c513dec866ef7cb6c5db103e4fa29a59.jpeg

Corelli: I MIEI EROI !! [runs towards them, hugging Vogel and shaking hands with every one of them]. You travel goo-d?

Vogel: Not really. Thothkinz is badly shot-up, he will need hospital. Zum gluck he is built ztrong... wie ein Panzer! Ito, ze new one, is alzo wounded. But... we bring zome alien junk, schau mal... [offers him the alien pistol he is wielding in his hand]

Corelli: Che bella... [returns the pistol and pats Vogel on the shoulder]. Molto bene!

Rhys-Martins, C-in-C: Soldiers, welcome back! You have put up a jolly good show! Well done!

[turns towards the gathered crowd]

Today... we have witnessed the spirit of human resilience. These 8 men... ahem... 7 men and a woman... have shown that while there is still some of us standing, there is hope.

The extra-terrestrials will not have it easy, I promise you that. We shall defend our planet, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; [there is some commotion at the back of the crowd, approaching fast]... We shall NEVER surr...

Dr. Dreyfuss, emerging from the crowd: WHAT in the name of SCIENCE is THIS??! [points at soldier’s trophies and the alien corpse lying on the ground]. WHAT have you done with MY ARTIFACTS!!?

[makes his way past the shocked C-in-C towards the soldiers]

This was INVALUABLE scientific material you POTATO-heads have probably contaminated IRREVERSIBLY. Diego... [turns around, looking for his assistant]. DIEGO!!! BAGS!

[Diego and other scientists break through the crowd with re-sealable bags with laboratory logos]

[Dr. Dreyfuss, tuning to the soldiers]: Put everything inside. NOW!

[soldiers reluctantly relinquish their trophies].

Everything. This too!

[Thothkins puts in the bag , with a bloody hand, a pair of fangs his comrades have put on his chest]

Dr. Dreyfuss: Bien. [leaves without looking at anybody, with his crew following silently, heads bent in discomfort]

..  ...

Rhys-Martins, recovering from shock: Where was I... Oh, never mind... Jolly good job, chaps. Jolly good. [leaves]

Vogel, to Corelli: Alienz are nothing compared to zis one. I have never felt zo defeated before...

image.jpeg.7a666ed6573473a21155fb1ff71dbc51.jpeg

September 10th 1979

[05:23 GMT; Diego Vasco da Silva Magan’s diary entry]

We’ve been cleaning, packing and catalogueing the artifacts and corpses all night, then started the preliminaries. Must report back to lab at 9.

[08:03 GMT; Officer’s mess]

Corelli: Buon giorno, Commandante! Signori...

Rhys-Martins: Yevgeniy, Kurt... scoot! [waves at them with his hand]

[Voroshilov and Reynalds reluctantly sit closer together on the bench to make space]

Corelli: Con permesso... [sits]

[Verka comes in with breakfast and fresh coffee; starts serving]

Rhys-Martins: How are things going?

Reynalds: de Gini gathered data of recent UFO activity. I was able to identify one of their mission parameters. The new fighters will be here in about a day or so and the one in hangar is almost fully repaired. Also a pilot is coming from the States.

Voroshilov, to himself: More toys...

Reynalds, ignoring: We also arranged a transport of the crashed UFO from Australia and it’s arrived during the night. Kaganov’s men are already on it like green flies on... You get the picture...

Corelli: Certo. Gree-n fly... they lik-e fish.

Reynalds: Ceeertainly... Dreyfuss was screaming like a little boy, I had to remind him he has other toys to play with. He has since barricaded himself in the lab and lets no one near him, but one of his assistants was willing to spill the beans...

Voroshilov: What? He has beans?!

Reynalds, ignoring the remark: I was told they started the alien... [looks cautiously towards Verka, lowering the voice] …ET alloys research, the pistol and the rifle. And Dreyfuss started the autopsy of the...[whispering]... lizard.

Rhys-Martins: Very good. I hope we will have some results shortly. We could use any help, isn’t that so, Luciano?

Corelli: Si, Commandante. My soldier tell me the alie-n... [all 4 look towards Verka; she acts like she’s occupied with something; Corelli continues in a lower voice]... their weapo-n be superio-r to our equipmen-t. Nostri soldati, they have number in advantage, dalle otto alle sei... Scusi... Six to eight-a... No... Mi dispiace [gesticulates with his hands]... Eigh-t to si-x. Yes... Pero, they still be hard press when figh-t starte-d. The extraterrestre have thick ski-n and stron-g... armo-r. My men shoo-t them with all weapon, bu-t they still standin-g. Horrore!

Voroshilov: And how they overcome... ET?

Corelli: Con granate. Grenade-s.

Voroshilov: Mhmm...

Reynalds: I suppose they will be packed with them next time they go out...

Corelli: Certamente... We already tal-k in barrack. Next tim-e they go out with firepower to the ears! My men, the-y...

Voroshilov, jumps in: Are not afraid of anything. Yes, we know...

Corelli: Bravo, complimenti!! [smiles hapilly]... We already hav-e change-d squadra motto...

[stands, gesticulates]: Entrare, sradicare, uscire!* [sits back, seems pleased with himself]

Reynalds [to Voroshilov]: Would you like me to translate to you? [grins]

Voroshilov: Njet. I prefer old one. [grins back]

[*for the esteemed reader of these lines, the translation is: Enter, eradicate, exit]

Rhys-Martins, ignoring the exchanges: A jolly good motto, Luciano. Jolly good. How are the wounded soldiers?

Corelli: Not in liv-e danger. Totkin-s must lay down for 15 day or mor-e. Ito... he not look bad injure-d, bu-t in evening he collapse-d. Bleed interna, capo medico save hi-m. He say he be ok in 10, 12 day, maybe. Horvath e Degli Esposti are sti-l recoverin-g from the cras-h.

Rhys-Martins: Very well. Our medical center is almost ready and will be accepting patients in 3 days. Until then, everybody must endure the current situation. Please get a short report on my desk by 12:00. Let’s eat now!

[12:00 GMT; Condensed report by Horackova]

image.jpeg.31bd0554b65b25948fccb9f0fbe180e3.jpeg

image.jpeg.2cdf0d48ccf9ac4589361345faa18cc8.jpeg

image.jpeg.9e16f50603dca86811e27db99b70cc9b.jpeg

image.jpeg.79131a734175fbba993333afea405c8d.jpeg

P. H.

FAST FORWARD...

September 11th 1979

[09:00; General report by P. Horackova]

X-NORAM and X-SEAC Control rooms are on-line since yesterday evening. Radars requested still haven’t arrived.

X-NACOM - all three fighters operational. Chinook operational (minor damage). AWACS operational. 1 hangae unused.

image.jpeg.192b4d3deef203047ec4636118f38915.jpegimage.jpeg.5ec711a2a008520bea40ea7350b3c71c.jpeg

QRF ready for action. Cpl. Thomas is back on the team. Morale solid. 4 men in infirmary slowly recovering.

Autopsy of an alien is complete (see appendix).
Dreyfuss finished preliminary research into alien biology. He now demands QRF to capture an alien alive for interrogation. Corelli was briefed.

image.jpeg.d1e28c15a3264bb11be3158ffcc5e68a.jpegI

image.jpeg.e5a4557f2d2752f55068df56df490f19.jpegimage.jpeg.109ac508e8b2fed69b90fc2e06d4319e.jpeg

Other active research projects are proceeding above all expectations. They just need to wrap-up.

image.jpeg.525d4ba8097f414ea1f869ee41b095b3.jpeg

Engineering needs a light scout UFO data-core to proceed with UFO disassembly protocols. The one in the wreck is unusable. We should be able to obtain one from a future ground mop-up. Corelli was briefed. (see appendices for detail)

image.jpeg.95ec52b4da1d11c0c24e45a98cfe1b9b.jpeg

Instead they started dissecting alien corpses Research dumped on them. They were told they may contain valuable materials.

image.jpeg.1afc9efdec0dc102ad25c14c57f5055b.jpeg

Nothing else to report.

P.H.

Edited by TinMan_JB
removed duplicated text and pic, cosmetic corrections

Hello to anyone reading these lines. This is the one where things don't go according to plan. I offer you...

CHAPTER 6 – HARD LESSONS

September 11th 1979

[19:26 GMT; Living quarters]

[soldiers are chilling]

[Corelli comes in]

Vogel: Squad, attention!

Corelli: Eaassy! Amici, guarda! Loo-k what the goo-d dottore has sen-d for you!

Vogel: Ah, now he zends us prezents, ja? What is it?

Corelli [shows them a rolled-up poster]: Is a pictur-e of preety...

Soldiers: Yees! DOCTOOOR!!! (that must’ve been Owen) Give it!
Show us!! YEEe!!

Corelli: Prego... [rolls out the poster with a wry smile]

image.jpeg.3862a5fcc8cb9525babc4d5df45fc385.jpeg

Soldiers: NOOOOOOOO!!!!! UUUUUGH!! I'm gonna throw up! (was that "Vomit"?)
YOU SAID SHE WAS PREETY!! 

This one is for you, Vomit! [laughter] (that was Owen, for sure...)

Corelli: Studiare, memorizzare, utilizzare!*

[gives poster to Vomit, taps him on the shoulder, leaves]

**Study, memorise, apply!

[23:24 GMT; Control room, radar station]

Reynalds [enters Command]: Report!

de Gini: Sir, UFO-04 entered the atmosphere 2 minutes ago. Tiny signal, heading 260, speed 1400, 16000m.

image.jpeg.3192da4e1ee5bfdb3249755c97524652.jpeg

Reynalds: Scramble all three interceptors! New engagement protocol!

image.jpeg.e16a42e836bd50f23726e9b9907695e5.jpeg

[23:35 GMT]

de Gini: Hawk is airborne, on course to intercept UFO-04.

image.jpeg.cbd50373f4fdf979eb553c4728d62e40.jpeg

Reynalds: Good. Keep your eyes open.

[23:50 GMT; Above western Arab peninsula]

Hawk-4: Nest! We spot one more boogie on radar! It is direct to front of us to left, 15km away. It block our intercept course for UFO-04.

image.jpeg.b3abe88421a069782aa55c96ed53eb12.jpeg

What we… ? Nevazhno... HAWKI, ENGAGE!

image.jpeg.d6cbee2c10bfef5de2654012084d4298.jpeg

[23:52 GMT; Command room]

[Hawk is on speakers; all are assembled, waiting anxiously]

Reynalds: Hawk, report! Over.

HAWK!…
Hawk-4: This is Hawk. Akamatsu shoot down boogie! …
[command bursts into chaos, everyone is cheering, clapping… general relief]

Reynalds: EVERYONE! SHUT UP! [chaos not subsiding]

Voroshilov: ATTENTION!!

Reynalds: Thank you, Gene... Hawk, repeat! Over.

Hawk-4: We have damage to all fighters. Peterson is on smoke, he maybe losing fuel. We have rocket and gun remaining. Akamatsu say he want to dance more. Over.

image.jpeg.1e7dcf9f9080c05e610cc465eeb963e8.jpeg

Reynalds: Copy, Hawk. Stand by.
[to C-in-C and Voroshilov]: This could be our golden chance to bag ourselves another one. They have plenty of ammo and fuel. Do we…

Rhys-Martins: Proceed.

Reynalds: Yes, Commander. Hawk, this is Nest. Intercept UFO-04. Over.

Hawk-4: Ya ponimayu. Over, out.

[23:58 GMT; above Arab peninsula]

Hawk-1: 2, 3! BREAK RIGHT!   I GO LEFT.

image.jpeg.962cd3200e69d00652dd85bd1df5380d.jpeg

Pridi… PRIDI!!! He coming to me… 2, 3… engage... NOW!

Uuuuhhhg…

Aaaagghhh! SNYAT ‘ YEGO! GET HIM OFF!!!

Akamatsu! He turning for you! Roll! ROLL!!!
NOOO!… to other side… S***!!!!

Nest! 2 is lost... I go!

Get him, Peterson!

DAAAA!!! IDI K CHERTU!!!!

image.jpeg.566f136a5fccca67ee2d0899ef937500.jpeg

Nest, boogie is down. We lose Akamatsu. I not see him eject...

Understand, we return to Nest. Over, out.

September 12th 1979

[00:02 GMT; Command room]

[Everybody is shocked, in disbelief]

Rhys-Martins: Very well now… We were well aware we were not playing with kittens, weren we not?

Yes, sir.....

Rhys-Martins: Kurt, Yevgeniy! Seems to me we have two crashed UFO-s to take care of. Send QRF immed…

image.jpeg.f42e913d67de27d58738e74e0f4e557a.jpeg

Corelli: Scusi, Commandante. Mi dispiace…

Rhys-Martins, irritated: Yes, Luciano? Do speak up!

Corelli: Con permesso. If we send team ou-t now, the-y arrive by nigh-t. Not goo-d… My me-n, they not afrai-d…
Voroshilov: Yes, Commandant. I agree. They need all advantage they get.

Rhys-Martins: Very well, we wait for daylight. Call me before they get airborne. [leaves]

[00:37; Command room]

de Gini: Chief! Another saucer, designated UFO-06! West of Timbuktu, heading north-north-east. Speed 2000, altitude 16100. I haven’t seen a signal like this before. Must be a new type.

image.jpeg.500b6e0dff3794a04d737173c7c951c4.jpeg

Reynalds: Where is Hawk?

De Gini: They are on approach, Sir.

Reynalds: Ask about fuel and ammo..

de Gini: Yes, Sir. Hawk, this is Nest. Report fuel and ordnance. Over.

… ….

de Gini: Fuel is OK but they have fired all missiles and are low on gun ammo. And they are pretty shaken...

Reynalds: Never mind then… Let them in for R&R&R. Lets hope the saucer is not in a hurry.

De Gini: Understood. ...

[04:17 GMT; Hangar 1; QRF embarking on mission]

Corelli: You have the baton-e?

image.jpeg.e3ec4c017dd13c970ba2b99546f843a0.jpeg

Vogel: Jawohl, chief. Dreyfuss made sure we take zem, and ze bags.

Corelli: Bene. Equip-p chec-k!

image.jpeg.8b9698c988c4d8b0fce538c1c801a153.jpeg

Vogel: Check!

Corelli: Molto bene! Wha-t is our motto?

All 8 soldiers in unison: ENTRARE! STERMINARE! USCIRE!!!!

Corelli: Bravo!! Brin-g you back some nic-e toy-s!! [soldiers grin and run towards helicopter]

[05:21 GMT; Crashsite-04]

1: Secure ze perimeter! Fatch for zivilians!

3: Zomething is wrong… I have a funny feeling inzide my head.

image.jpeg.ed82305af7557d0ca7b412ecf8ee1ea6.jpeg

2: Now Vomit... Don’t go sick on me again!
[laughter]

4: AAAAAA! Heeeelp!

1: CONTACT!!

4:

image.jpeg.1297f709c7c3769761abaf1e80c68909.jpeg

5: Zuzanna is down!!!

3: Chief is hiiit!!

Shoot!!!

image.jpeg.cb7de5c8e467d168258aa74db29b082b.jpeg

5: CHIEF!… I SEE IT! OVER HERE! It is huge...

image.jpeg.7d4b86a0b79a82655ad5012b40fbdb19.jpeg

1: Abort! Everyone to the UFO! Watch your backs!

1: I am fine... A zcratch...

2: Something messing with my...! Aaaaaaaaaarrrh!!!

1: Owen, snap out! Grab a rifle!

image.jpeg.2f00721e423711f51b6610ce4edf7739.jpegimage.jpeg.ca091f39c68de8a84264c22837df81ae.jpeg

2: Bieniaaaaak!!!

1: He’s still there! Behind ze wall!

8: Grenaaade!!

5: Aaaaaargh! He hot me! HE HOT MEEEE!!! Aaaa....

1: Shut up, Novotny! It’s just a scratch! Thomas don’t play hero now! NEIN! ZURUeCK!!!

S**%@&”!!

Open ze door. Smoke zem out!!

image.jpeg.ec830278bf5e5e8d15675867904fcc28.jpeg

7: In the back!!

2: Clear!!

7: Is it over?

1: It’s over… Nice shot, Jan.

1: Secure ze area. Collect everything and all alinenz, zip tight. Owen, get on ze radio and report to base. Tell them we are coming back with 3 in body bags.

image.jpeg.0e5cdb78a8fcd155e190daff26136a4e.jpeg

Vogel [sits down, lights up]: 

S*****e...

Edited by TinMan_JB
2 errand pics removed, some cosmetic touch ups

Hello, dear readers. This is the one where things get tense and we meet some new characters. I present...

CHAPTER 7 – FRICTION

September 12th 1979

[07:11 GMT; X-NACOM, Hangar 1; QRF disembarking]

Vogel: Get everyzing out and place it in front. Later we will take it to ze doctor.

[Dreyfuss comes in, his team trailing him with heavy duty carts]

Owen: No need... he’s allready here!

Dr. Dreyfuss, looking at the sealed bags: Aahh... Bien! All sealed as we discussed. Where are the aliens? I want to interrogate them!

Owen: There... in the bags.

Dr. Dreyfuss: WHAT! They must have suffocated by now! [runs to the nearest body bag with an intent to open it]

Owen: No! Don’t touch this!

Dr. Dreyfuss: I will TOUCH what I WANT! [turns back to open the body bag]

Owen [comes to him, grabs his hand]: Friend, you don’t want to do that...

Dr. Dreyfuss, angered: Take your FILTHY HANDS off me! [backs away from the body bag anyway]

[ to all soldiers, who have gathered to see what the fuss is all about]: You have been sent out to get me live aliens. Where are they!??

Owen: Like I said, in the bags. Over there... [points to a larger pile of body bags] They didn’t want to come.

Dr. Dreyfuss: What you mean [immitates cincally] »they didn’t want to come«???

Novotny: We had to kill them.

Dr. Dreyfuss: QUOI!!!?? You killed all the aliens!?? YOU *******!!! Why am I supposed to work with ********??! All you were supposed to do is get me...
Vogel, furious: DU! Halt die Schauze, ja?!! We lost 3 good men today trying to get you one alive.

[grabs a sealed bag with something heavy inside and throws it to Dreyfuss]
Here, play with zis! Next time you come and talk to my team zis way, I will brake in your teeth, verstanden!?! JA??! Jetzt verschwinde!

[Dreyfuss stands as struck by lightning, then turns away and leaves without saying anything, clenching the bag to his chest]

Owen: Don't drop. It could explode!
[LAUGHTER]

[07:24 GMT; C-in-C’s quarters]

Corelli: Commandante, QRF is not ready to go out one mor-e. The-y be wounde-d e in shoc-k. Send it now they all come back in blac-k bags.

Reynalds: I say we just bomb the site.

Voroshilov: And what then? How we get artifact? Dreyfuss...
Corelli: Con permesso. Dreyfuss e un s******... Un testa di c****! KARIOLIS!!* [smacs the table fith his fist]
[*will not be translated for the benefit of
juvenile readers. And I sincerely appologise for strong language to any Greek readers in the audience...]

Rhys-Martins: Now now, Luciano...

Corelli: Scusi! Mi dispiace, Commandante.

Reynalds: I say again...

Rhys-Martins: Bomb the crash site! That will be all.

image.jpeg.5ab2bbf68822bffe3e7c8642d66394b5.jpeg

Voroshilov: Kak vi prykazhete!

[07:55 GMT; Command room]

Gisbergh: Sir, Israeli force have bombed crash site-04. Follow up aerial reconnaisance photos show no survivors.

Voroshilov: Harasho. Kurt, what is it with fighers? Are you ready? This... saucer... it will not wait forever...

Reynalds: Pilots are getting in. They can launch in 5 minutes. But I’m not sure this is a wise move. We only have 2. And de Gini says this thing’ signal is bigger than the two we shot down earlier.

Voroshilov: You afraid for...

Reynalds, irritated: Gene, don’t push it...

Rhys-Martins: Gentlemen...

Reynalds: Fine... We launch and try to intercept. If we get lucky, we engage. If not... well, we run and prey.

image.jpeg.755e7817866d422033e0498a7eb7a5d1.jpeg

[10:26 GMT; Dove flight, over Morroco-Algiers border]

Dove-4: Nest, we see bandit! Not in good position! Not in good position to fight!

image.jpeg.19d276b65e43b35de6e1b0a2d013b9b9.jpeg

Dove-4: Okey, we try to gain good position. Out.

[10:39-10:42 GMT; Quantas flight QA442, somewhere over Algiers]

Jimmy, please inform the passengers we will be arriving to Tenerife with a... WHAT is THAT?

Where, cap?

There, to the right! At 2, slightly above us!
image.jpeg.2f066df6395cd6faab2c795b8b4c8d2b.jpeg

Yea, I see it.. Looks like.... Oh, look, 2 more... looks like... F-16s! They are trailing it!!

image.jpeg.b5d5e4d89a2bcc5040ae877c8e434fc7.jpeg

Yea, I see them too. Look, they’ve split... The closer one is going for this... disc?

image.jpeg.5688d0bcb2b46501ab87b2b56574338c.jpeg

Cap, we should change course... Something’s not right.
Nah, Jimmy. I wanna see. Grab your camera!

OH! One has fired a missile! IT HIT!
The disc’s still flying!
Now the other one’s comming in! Look, another missile! SH***!!

image.jpeg.4a8965dcf295c2019904cdf598113cd2.jpegimage.jpeg.96583f72906f1652dfd5a52d56f316c8.jpeg

Cap! Lets get out of here...

To late! They’re turning this way. ANOTHER! HIT! The disc... IT’s GOING DOWN!! Look, one of the booms is torn off, it’s spinning down...

image.jpeg.39b6fcf1a4024fe219489e6d25b62eb4.jpeg

Aww! This is something to behold, Jimmy. My old man... he was in the navy during V...
Aheem, Cap?! We’ve got company...

What? OH... Hi, fellas... Wave, Jimmy, wave!

Whoa... That was somethin’. Did you get it?
Yea, cap. This is gonna sell like hot buns when we land.

[10:42 GMT; Dove flight]

Dove-4: Nest, this is Dove. We got the UFO.

… !!! …?

Dove-4: Peterson... We have no more damage. But we have more problem. Airline plane is here, they see everything...

...?

Dove-4: Quantas, 747. They see the UFO and how we shoot it. You want no witness? We still have rocket...

Dove-1: Harasho! We go back to base. [to himself] It is not how we do in SSSR. [salutes to the pilot in the cockpit of the airliner]
Dove-2, we go home.

[11:00 GMT; X-NACOM, Command room]

Voroshilov: If we send team now, they get still by light. Commandant, I suggest strong to send. It is best solution.

Corelli: Con permeso, Capo! You see my me-n? They all wound-ed. Fogle e Horvat, can almos-t not stay. Ito e Degli Esposti still like from a figh-t con la mafia! Il mio cuore sanguina...
Voroshilov: What?

Corelli: Scusi, mi dispiace... I try to say [gesticulates]... I can not sen-d my me-n out lik-e this.

Reynalds: I think he’s right, Commander. They are quite a sorry bunch...

Rhys-Martins: I see...

Luciano... I understand this must be very hard for you... and unfair with regard to your men. They have just returned from a mission gone very much astray. However... This operation is necessary if we are to gain an insight into the alien technology. Yevgeniy...has a good point. Let your men rest until 2 o’clock, then brief them on the mission. It is extremely important we bring back what Dreyfuss and Kaganov need.

Kurt. Establish a surveilance zone above western coast immediatelly. If anything is there, we need to learn of it before the squad sets on its way. That is all.

Corelli, Reynalds: Si, Commandante! / Yes, Sir!

[11:10 GMT]

de Gini: Snoop is in the air, vector 275.

image.jpeg.39ec5da7d42827584e0903abb0dec169.jpeg

[14:10 GMT; QRF barracks]

[company in attention; all soldiers capable of walking are gathered]

Corelli, reads from a piece of paper: Foge-l! Chie-f. Horvat! Vagne-r. Tomp-son! Degli Esposti! Ito. No-votny. Scobe-l.
Andy, pleas-e read comman-d.

MacGuiness: Aye, Chief! [puts on his reading glasses]

Quick Response Force is to land near crash site 05 of the shot down UFO-06. The QRF is to proceed to the crashed UFO and neutralize, or, if at all possible, capture any remaining opposition from the surviving alien crew of the said UFO. The QRF is then to gather all remaining alien artefacts and inspect the UFO for a certain component. When in possession of this component and possibly of an alive alien prisoner, QRF will return to base to terminate mission.

Signed: General Hugh-Trevor Rhys-Martins, C-in-C X-Division [takes off his reading glasses]

Sir...

Corelli: Grazie, Andy. [to soldiers]: You kno-w your order. Going ou-t at 15:00!

Vogel: YES, SIR! [Corelli turns to leave]

image.jpeg.757944182a8e5cfeb54e26f6aed5eb70.jpeg

Vogel: COMPANY! WHAT IS OUR MOTTO!?

Company: ENTRARE! STERMINARE!! USCIRE!!!

Corelli, with a broken voice: Vai... Vai... [turns away, hiding tears in his eyes]

[18:50 GMT; Above Algeria]

Vogel: ONEEE MINUTE!
Remember, use grenades to kill and FBs to suppress before you go in for the ztun! We only do it if we can izolate one. Otherwise.. [gestures]
And no more heroicz, verstanden!?

Company: Yes, Chief!

Vogel: PREPAREEE...

image.jpeg.e580b5f56f0183f1f04f4a42e365eab5.jpeg

LOS! Secure ze perimeter!

[late in the evening; Verka’s letter to her husband]

Janek, I hope you have the TV on. This is what I’ve been trying to tell you! They #### #### a ##### ### again today! And they #### #### # #### a ###### ### ago! I heard it all at ####### ####. #### think I dont hear but I hear everything! And then there are the #####! I’ve seen these ####### myself, when I was going past the ##########! They are ####, with #### ##### and ###### all ####. #### look like ###### #######.

And the ########, they have ##### out ### ##### today. The ###### time they ####, they were looking very #### ## and they still didn’t come back. I don’t know what is going on but I’m scared, Janek! Tell Yulka and everyone... to be careful. If they see something in the ###, HIDE! YOU TOO, JANEK!! DON'T BE A HERO, YOU HEAR ME!!

Must go now to serve dinner at the ######## ####. Maybe I find out more. Hope to see you soon.

Your Verka

P. S. what do you mean, my last letter came all blacked-out?

[23:26 GMT; Medical center – yes, we finally have one, with a twist ;)]

[C-in-C comes to the Medical facility just as 3 doctors are on their way to scrub in]

Rhys-Martins: Ah, Frank... how are our heroes doing?

image.jpeg.6a3f3e2ca02c6f23e01547201a9937ec.jpeg

Dr. Burns [looking at his papers]: Sir, nobody is in grave danger. Horvath and Novotny are being preppared for surgery right now. The others just need time to heal.

Dr. Pierce: Commander, we will make absolutely 100% sure they will be chasing the enemy again very soon!

Rhys-Martins: Jolly good, doctors, jolly good! I’m glad we finally have a proper medical facility to treat our wounded. Frank here did a mighty fine job at the infirmary, however he was severely limited by what he could do in the premises. [to Dr. Burns]: I’m sure you were delighted to have moved to this new location, I presume?

image.jpeg.afa364ce359d51ecc79f535c39cb2075.jpeg

Dr. Burns: I...
Dr. Pierce, with a slender smile: Oh, for sure, Commander. He was jumping with joy when he saw us.

Rhys-Martins: Very well, very well. I presume you three will be able to cooperate impecabbly. Frank, see to it that the new arrived staff feels right at home. Report the progress of the patients every day and make sure they are given all the care they need.

Dr. Burns: I...
Dr. McIntyre: I’m sure you won’t regret putting them in our care and the care of head nurse.
Dr. Pierce: Ah, yes... Have no worries, Commander! Nurse Houlihan is known for her ways to mend a bruised warrior’s heart.

Rhys-Martins: Jolly good, Pierce. Jolly good. I’ll leave you men to it then. [leaves]

Dr. McIntyre: Hawk, would you fancy some good company after we finish in the OR?

Dr. Pierce: Sure! Make sure you don’t invite Frank!

[laughing, both leave to scrub in]

Dr. Burns, to himself: What have I done to get these two again?

Edited by TinMan_JB

Hello! This is the one where not much happens yet still we emerge better than before. I present...

CHAPTER 8 – A NEW NORMAL

September 13th 1979

[07:30 GMT; C-in-C’s office]

Horachkova: Good morning, Sir! Sir... I have some newspapers you might want to see...

Rhys-Martins: Ah... good morning, Petra! Always a refreshment... What is it with the newspapers?

Horachkova: Sir, the breaking news... Every one of them is reporting the UFO, the one we shot down yesterday over Algiers. The one Quantas 747 witnessed. [gives C-in-C the newspapers]

Rhys-Martins: Bloody hell and three hundred devils! They even got the pictures! Look, better than our own!! How did they pull that off!?

image.jpeg.2258d532d50a5c9dbe70826855d8e831.jpeg

Horachkova: Someone must have recorded the whole engagement, Sir. It is broadcast worldwide. Here, let me get it on for you… [walks to the TV, turns it on]. See??

image.jpeg.bf756bf792071ddf2dd7132615b05a0d.jpeg

Rhys-Martins: Blimey! Very well... The spirit has escaped the bottle and there is nothing we can do to get it back in. What else, apart from thee interception, are they saying?

Horachkova: Well, they don’t know who shot it down. There are already some theories emerging. Here... and here.

Rhys-Martins: Very well... We shall let them delve on their theories and conspiracies. Our priority should remain our funding. I believe our funding fathers are briefed on all our actions to protect their interests?

Horachkova: Yes Sir, they are up to date.

Rhys-Martins: Jolly good, Petra. Jolly good. I have faith in you to paint them the best picture of our endeavours. Carry on!

[picks up the newspapers and looks at the headlines]

Aliens are coming - UFO shot down over Africa. Nobody has claimed responsibility - No UFO found on the crash site. Someone mopped up. - Hero pilots: Quantas flight QA442 first to witness alien UFO shot down - Surrender to aliens’ healing powers

Certainly... A most splendid idea! [throws the newspapers in the bin]

[09:15 GMT; Horatio Gisbergh’s diary entry]

The funeral party was much smaller than for Howard. C-in-C had a solemn speech that didn’t quite land right for me. I didn’t know them all very well and yet I feel like some part of me is gone. I can’t imagine how the remaining grunts and pilots must be feeling, facing the same fate every time they go out. Akamatsu’s body still hasn’t been found...He will receive a proper burial when they find him.

RIP Alexia Thomas (KIA), Wiktor »Vomit« Bieniak (KIA), Zuzanna Sroka (KIA), Junichi »Dancer« Akamatsu (MIA)

image.jpeg.ae6afa5f6b1ca1c860e6239473d6a6b9.jpeg   image.jpeg.c699c3b2be7c5a2380fc61020fc3b582.jpeg   image.jpeg.f56cbf1b1501e127080e17145ccb183b.jpeg

[same time; Medical]

[Soldiers, wounded and unscathed, are lying or sitting, quietly, still processing...; Corelli enters]

Vogel: Squad, attention!
Corelly: Easy, easy... [looks at his soldiers] What-a sorry bunc-h you ar-e! I have somethin-g to cheer you! [shows them a rolled poster he was hiding behind his back]

Wagner: Oh, another one of zose lisards from doctor. He likes drawing or what? [laughter]

Corelli: No, is no lissar-d. Pero, Dreyfu-s really like to dra-w... [shows them the poster]

image.jpeg.884dff6502faaf2f20ddbe1b99083d23.jpeg

Novotny [springing anxiously from his bed]: Get this thing awaaaay!! Aaaagghhhh... [starts sobbing]

Corelli [hurries to Novotny]: Toma-s, I know is har-d... You lose your brother in arm when fight with them. Bu-t... doctor he find somethin-g to hel-p. [speaks to all] Guarda! [points] See? This alien, he mess with your hea-d...

Wagner: Grossartig! How we zuppoze to fight them then?

Corelli: This can hel-p. Study! Follow! [gives poster to Wagner, leaves]

Vogel: You heard him... Gather! You too, Novotny!

[09:55 GMT; Combat report by Owen Thompson to C-QRF Corelli]

Operation “Snatch”, 09/11/1979

Departure from X-NACOM at 15:00. Touch down at 18:51 on the south-western edge of Zerhamra village. On touch-down a lizard sebillian in armour was spotted chasing 2 civs; it was neutralized (perfect head shot)

image.jpeg.207c9fc45a5ffef396bc185be4ae208f.jpegimage.jpeg.473ec280ce1c905ccfa32f9b7f768974.jpeg

We established a perimeter and immediately another seb was spotted a bit further out to the east, killing a civilian. Wagner engaged the enemy with suppressing fire. Vogel deployed a smoke and then he and Shoebel charged the alien with frags; seb neutralized.

image.jpeg.7a1dea121cc04ba9e340a1244a46c698.jpegimage.jpeg.adbb6f7849d7dc4dfcc6053f0d1bc0f2.jpegimage.jpeg.5348f950e99c70bea2a9483d01c83b18.jpeg

Ito was guarding the left flank to the north. I and Wagner relocated to his right to establish a safe zone, while Vogel’s party searched the nearby houses to the east. Degli Esposti established a lookout at the far eastern side of the village.

image.jpeg.d0e80e44d1d20379b8fba4d18bf1a8a8.jpeg

Horvath (shield) spotted the UFO to the north-east, behind a wall. Vogel with Ito and Nowotny advanced through the house on the west, while the rest approached the UFO by the houses on the east.

image.jpeg.d71ae9e0e190cf7d60b87459c1072ad6.jpegimage.jpeg.7e68942f072e37bb0695c4cd29bc0c05.jpeg

At this time, a seb lookout guarding by the UFO saw us and alerted the crew inside, who started poking their heads through the hatch. I fired some quick shots but didn’t score any hits on the guard (bad angle)

image.jpeg.956d4886562914ee6026c46265302742.jpegimage.jpeg.56e4cc3514508e3c83768889f623bb65.jpegimage.jpeg.ab95f1d0059872848f1e65a88ebd7293.jpeg

Vogel with Ito and Novotny spotted another seb on the far side of the long wall and approached behind cover; seb spotted them and opened fire at Novotny, who was spotting; Vogel engaged with a frag, but failed to neutralize.

image.jpeg.298a4d6539489972a2da6f5e6a542fbb.jpegimage.jpeg.7a678d94377e0fd1c562fce422a20d5d.jpeg

Seb relocated to gain a better angle at Novotny, injuring him badly; Novotny managed to drag himself inside for cover. Ito left guard to help; after he was stabilised, Novotny patched up himself. Vogel dropped another frag, seb neutralized.

image.jpeg.1e560845a52972712576f39db1f5ab55.jpeg

Horvath (shield) was my spotter. She got close enough to land a frag on the UFO guard, neutralized. The UFO crew didn’t emerge, so we started closing in- Degli Esposti on the right, the rest along the wall. A seb charged out and dropped a grenade on Horvath, but her shield blocked most of the blast; she survived, Shoebel helped her with bandage; me and Degli Esposti were covering and we neutralized the seb.

image.jpeg.63771bf9d66a14decec12a68a07976db.jpegimage.jpeg.3a7dc7bc91426f9986e5b4924b2a8ecd.jpeg

Vogel and Ito joined from the west; Horvath recovered and assumed point; we established zone, Degli Esposti opened the hatch; 1 armed seb was waiting inside. I tried tossing in a FB but missed twice, blinded Horvath instead. Finally someone rolled a FB in, suppressing the seb. Vogel charged inside and hid behind some installation. Degli Esposti threw in another FB; Vogel, Horvath and Shoebel charged with batons, seb passed out.

image.jpeg.b0baabd2fa403b327c47444110c7bbb4.jpegimage.jpeg.a7fa6268b765236f9cba54636d581d94.jpegimage.jpeg.c052f1a51b7d3d3b2b6b1dc00db7b206.jpeg

We tied the unconscious seb, secured the village Then we gathered and bagged all alien equip and bodies. Lift off 19:43. Seb came around in the air and bit Schoebel’s little finger; he was poked some more. Return to base 23:20.

[12:35 GMT; Officer’s mees]

[Reynalds comes in, late]

Rhys-Martins: Ah, here he is… Kurt, have a seat!

Reynalds: Thank, you, Sir! Did I miss something?

Rhys-Martins: Not really. We were just discussing Research department. Seems to me Dr. Dreyfuss has his hands full with artefacts and... [whispers] corpses. He asks for 30 more assistants and additional laboratory space.

image.jpeg.3c240a42f61ed111bbc8400caa2ba0e6.jpeg

Voroshilov: 30!!? We have no more place in quarters, only 2, 3 bed still free. What he do with empty laboratory?

Rhys-Martins: Exactly. We also need additional living quarters. Yevgeniy, see to it. [Voroshilov nods in affirmation]

I should also mention Dreyfuss has sent a report on the alloys he has been working on. Here… [shows them the report]

image.jpeg.3b31565b40df25c52beb4b2e8982920c.jpeg

He has found some good use for these alloys. Namely, he suggests to arm some soviet interceptors with heavy air torpedoes.

Reynalds: Are those the interceptors Voroshilov here has been promising? Those that lack the »very important« part to fly?

Voroshilov: Yes, that is one. MiG! A best in…
Reynalds: Riiight… There is something else. We received some worrying reports from Canada.

image.jpeg.9a8af3b0ddce44305de17956cf4807d7.jpeg

I’ve studied these and the older ones and I think I got it. Here… [shows them a paper]

image.jpeg.83055e70636f9c54d682a485a4bc7828.jpeg

Rhys-Martins: Jolly good, Kurt! What is our next move?

Reynalds: The new bases are waiting for radars. And… I want another radar here. For better…
Voroshilov: This again…

Rhys-Martins: Now, Yevgeniy... let him speak.

Reynalds: As I was saying – for better coverage of Europe, Africa... [to Voroshilov] and the SSSR. Then I would like to station some interceptors in those new bases to protect the covered space. I hope you would agree on such a proposal.

Voroshilov: [gestures]

Rhys-Martins: Jolly good, Kurt, Jolly good. See to it.

Reynalds: Thank you, Sir. Also there is word from Engineering. Kaganov is also struggling with his new saucer project. He asks for more engineers.

Voroshilov: So we build more living quarter for him?

Rhys-Martins: No need, Yevgeniy. I believe the engineers and the scientists can share their quarters. Until the new quarters are built, I shall approve to hire 10 scientists and 5 engineers.

Voroshilov: What about Dreyfuss? He hate the engineers.

Reynalds: Dreyfuss won’t be a problem...That p**** apparently sleeps in his lab. Actually, he probably never sleeps... that’s why he is such a pain all the time. [musings]

[at this time, Corelli burst in, panting; he is very late...]

Corelli: Signori... Scusi! Mi dispiace... [catching his breath] I have... repor-t... o comba-t... Owen... Tomp...son…
Rhys-Martins: Well... let me see!

Corelli: Certo! Prego, Commandante!

image.jpeg.3a6ccf3e360d0d1130ec6efe8744a812.jpeg

Rhys-Martins: Mhmm... Very interesting conclusions, Luciano! A good job, a jolly good ...
[at this moment, Dreyfuss burst in]

Dr. Dreyfuss: I bring you the autopsy reports you requested [Throws the reports on the table, leaves]

Voroshilov: ****! Who he think he is!? And what is this!? [picks up the report, looks at it]

image.jpeg.0d788dd6709a2e5d9a8e11f563d7a1e9.jpegimage.jpeg.b5d512a6d162d436ac2246d3f63d4c78.jpeg

OOOUUGGHhhh!! OTVRATITEL’NO!*
                                      *Disgusting!

Reynalds [sneers]: Bon apetit, Yevgeniy!

Rhys-Martins: I believe we have settled everything for the time being. Verka, darling! If you would, please serve us now!

Yevgeniy... do get those interceptors for us, will you?

[17:09 GMT; Command, communications station]

Gisbergh: Sir! SIR!!
Voroshilov, irritated: What is it?

Gisbergh: Sir, Jordanians have just sent us a message about...
Voroshilov: What they say?

Gisbergh: Sir, they found Akamatsu! He is alive! He...
Voroshilov: How?! He was shot down! Shvetsov say he did not jump.

Gisbergh: They say he was found by his plane in the desert yesterday, almost dead from dehydration. Some local found him.

Voroshilov: Good. One less grave to dig. Go…
Gisbergh, happy: Yes, what a relief...
Voroshilov: DO YOUR JOB AND SPEAK WHEN I ASK!
Gisbergh: Yes, Sir!
Voroshilov: What are you waiting for??! GO tell Reynalds the news! [shakes his head]
Gisbergh: Yes, Sir! Thank you, Sir! [leaves]

Voroshilov, to himself: Za chto? Rano ili pozdno on ostanetsya mertvym.*
                                                     *For what? Sooner or later he will stay dead.

Hello, esteemed readers. This is the one where we sail through relatively calm waters (depends on who you're asking...)
I present...

CHAPTER 9 – STEADY AS SHE GOES

September 14th 1979

[09:46 GMT; X-NACOM airstrip]

Shvetsov: Akamatsuuu! [runs to him, hauls him up in the air]
Akamatsu: Itaai! You ...are braking... my... bones!

Shvetsov: Aaah, you are live! You are back! You come to dance more?!

Akamatsu [bows slightliy]: Iie! No, I want to shoot down aliens now.
Shvetsov: Haha... That is my Akamatsu! [claps him on the shoulder] Never enough! Tell me, Akamatsu...  How many you have now?

Akamatsu, proud: I have shot down 1 alien UFO! You have seen it!

Shvetsov: Da... is good. But... I not ask you about, how many UFOs... I ask you, how many times you crash land your plane, HAHAHA!! [slaps him heartily on the back]

Akamatsu [bows deeply]: Hai! I crash landed my »Cherry blossom« 2 times. I put her down gently, like a leaf in an autumn breeze. She will be back in a few days and will fight again. But wait, Anatoly... Where is your »Kobrushka«?! I don’t see her in the hangar!

[Later that day; General report by Horachkova to C-in-C]

Junichi Akamatsu was flown in from Jordan in the morning. Dr. Burns reports he is recovering well from his crash landing and subsequent days spent in the desert.

2 interceptors, damaged during an engagement on the 11th were fully repaired. The third, crash landing during the subsequent engagement, will be sufficiently repaired by Jordanians to fly back to X-NACOM for final repairs. ETA to fully repair currently unknown. AWACS and Chinook-1 are fully operational.
image.jpeg.550d641eca5984682e761b290612781b.jpeg

Dr. Dreyfuss has provided additional information on caesans (an alien species); apparently they are organised into castes or ranks, one of them was classified as a non-combatant (see appendix)

image.jpeg.7296be20c0a2824318b5dfe56c33eaf2.jpegimage.jpeg.74ab1f024f15f9353ee37cb1c6b68237.jpeg

Nothing further to report. P. H.

September 15th 1979

[07:10 GMT; X-NACOM airstrip]

[10 scientists and 6 new arriving recruits are disembarking from transport plane; Corelli and MacGuiness join them]

MacGuiness: Recruits, attention!
image.jpeg.43fb00afdefee82de0f049bd9f2d05cf.jpeg

Corelli: Grazie, Andy! [to recruits] Welcom-e! Io sono Capitano Luciano Corelli. You want-t call me Chie-f. This [shows at MacGuiness] ...is Sergente Andy Ma-gine-s, your instruttore e barrac-k maste-r. You can call him sergente Ma-gines-s, X-O, barrack maste-r o-r instruttore. He tell you all abou-t enemy. Ascolta, memorizza, applica!* Is all. Andy, sho-w them aroun-d!
                                                                                                                                                                                                                           *Listen, memorize, apply!

MacGuiness: Aye, Chief! FLIGHT! GEAR UP!

LEFT TURN! QUICK MARCH! GO! GO! GO!!
[they run away in full gear towards the base; scientist are clearly enjoying the show, laughing]

Corelli [to the scientists, with a friendly voice]: They only playin-g. Good luc-k when you mee-t your boss!

[07:55 GMT; C-in-C's office]

[C-in-C is attending a video conference]

image.jpeg.d569cc198bc2e73148ec93e13037634c.jpeg

Rhys-Martins: Good morning, Councillors. I believe you had a good night’s sleep?

Councillor W: We are not calling you to discuss our sleeping habits, General.
Councillor E: We want to have a word about performance of X-Division dealing with the alien menace.

Rhys-Martins: Yes, I am sure you do… We are doing everything in our…
Councillor A: You are not doing enough! North America...
Councillor R: The eastern Asia and the oceans…
Councillor E: Are not protected in any meaningful way!

Rhys-Martins: Councillors, I can assure you we…
Councillor M We want to see results, General!
Councillor O: UFOs shot down and our people protected...
Councillor N: As well as the interests of our countries!
Councillor E: Deal with the aliens properly and we…
Councillor Y: Will make every effort to keep the money flowing. Otherwise… [gestures]

Rhys-Martins: Certainly, understood. I assure you once again we…

Oh! Where have they gone to!?...

[later that day; the men’s room]

You have it?…

Here… [gives a piece of paper] This is current.
image.jpeg.d0c5c4dbd4c2dcc3775078689dd1aff2.jpeg

Godt! Keep them coming. [leaves]

[19:15 GMT; Command room]

de Gini: Sir! I have a bogey, probably a light scout. Over Indian ocean, half way between Mogadishu and Colombo, Sri Lanka. Course west-south-west, speed 2000, 16100m.

image.jpeg.cce3d09c2bf8dd10b589da04631b6f06.jpeg

Reynalds: Call in C-Ops! All personnel to stations!
Scramble both interceptors!

September 16th 1979

[03:14 GMT; interception report by A. A. Shvetsov]

Alert UFO-07 19:15, scramble Hawk 2, 4 - 19:17. Control give direct course for intercept. UFO change way to Mogadishu, ADC give order to wait to come over land, we trail. 21:35 - UFO turn again, now east direct out in ocean. We not engage, ADC give order again to wait if he turn back. We trail saucer for 2h; 23:24 - out of gaz, we go back. Pan-cake 02:43. Is not how we do in SSSR.

A. A. Shvetsov

[later that day; Conference room; Operational briefing, all officers are present]

Reynalds: As I already explained… We were waiting for it to wander overland to shoot it down. We could’ve engaged over water, but then there would be no crash site to investigate, wouldn’t it, Gene?

image.jpeg.1897b5bf886a204e7d67badb07d238fa.jpegimage.jpeg.f488ba6836fdfef7c1e4104fb2588c62.jpeg

Rhys-Martins: Carry on, Kurt.

Thank you, Sir.
Soon after we started receiving reports of activity in the region so I sent out AWACS at 5:38 to try and locate the UFO, which they did just south-east of Madagascar, heading west towards land. We scrambled the interceptors again at 10:36 and they were getting close when… this little b***** turned east again. The Hawk flight gave pursuit but were unable to catch up.

image.jpeg.9e8a4e843b3a70b3b605d087854bf2d3.jpeg

image.jpeg.ca3f569ce3d6f2eb4637a9d4c62a01f6.jpeg

They had to abort as they ran out of fuel and returned to base. AWACS was loitering around some more and reacquired contact far out in the Indian ocean, but at that point it wasn't lucrative to pursuit and I gave the order to return.

image.jpeg.b56d053e6f11327b34df41d147f4638b.jpeg
That is all.

Rhys-Martins: Very well. Thank you.
Gentlemen… this operation was… a proper c***-up. To have a sparrow firmly clenched in one’s fist and let it fly away so it may become a pidgeon that crooks from the roof… is not tolerable! We have an obligation to the nations of the world and our funding committee that the peoples, the economies and the interests of their countries will be SAFE! [pounds his fist on the table] This… operation did nothing to keep any of those promises. In any of the forthcoming engagements I expect a more appropriate response to the situation. Next time shoot down the bloody thing, Kurt!

Reynalds: Yes, Sir! Understood!

Rhys-Martins: Very well. Yevgeniy?

Voroshilov: More activity was over Atlantic, Caribbean and east coast U.S. Nothing we can do yet.

image.jpeg.0f17da507aaaa3399f629d38163ac7eb.jpegimage.jpeg.0bfb85582c50ee980d31c797c12415ff.jpeg

Ah, da… Engineers for Kaganov arrive today, they at job already. Nothing more.

Rhys-Martins: Very well. Luciano?

Corelli: Commandante, nostre nuove reclute…Scusi… I try to sa-y… recruit-s, they have trainin-g with Andy. Sergente Magine-s. The-y be ready for alien soo-n.

Rhys-Martins: Jolly good, Luciano. Jolly good. [To all] Anything else?
Very well. Dismissed!

September 17th 1979

[early morning; Hangar 6]

Shvetsov: Looook, Akamatsuuu… What beautiful machine! Not like that American fighter, all wrinkled. Look... Straight, strong line. Steel, it is build for ever.… And quick. You put your head out it take your head, hahah!

Akamatsu [bows slightly]: Hai! I see what you mean. Mighty. Powerful. Scary. Like that American Hell's cat fighter against my father’s Zero. But tell me, Anatoly… How will it fly with no engine?

[18:30 GMT; Officer’s mess]

Voroshilov: Njet, tovarish! You not make fool of me, haha!
Reynalds: Well, one can try…

Rhys-Martins [coming in]: Don't get up, gentlemen! Ahhh… I could eat a horse right now. Yes, thank you, Verka! Lets eat.
[sipping, smacking…]

Reynalds: Mmm.. Sir, the radars for the bases finally arrived. They are being installed as we speak.
Rhys-Martins, smacking: Mhhmm...

Voroshilov: Kaganov say to me he need more parts for fighter.
Reynalds, mouth full: Whas fihser?!

image.jpeg.f2603d2e9c8c2898628f815eacef6f24.jpeg

Voroshilov: MiG-31. One was brought to base this morning by road transpo…
Reynalds: By road? Why didn’t we fly it in!?

Voroshilov: The MiG… Is missing some important parts.
Reynalds, sarcastically: Like fuel?
Voroshilov: Like engine. Like radar.

Reynalds [jumps up, spilling gravy on his shiny uniform]: PERFECT! Now we can invite the eee-teee to admire it on the ground! Sir...please excuse me! I’m not hungry any more. [leaves furiously]

Voroshilov [looks at Reynalds leaving, shruggs]: As I say… Kaganov, he need more component. He say he can make alien engine and radar work in MiG. But he need more alien computer. So we need more alien UFO.
image.jpeg.2810e9e1c42ef3b1f1c2e4550533f5d6.jpeg

Rhys-Martins: Very well. We will make every effort to supply our engineers in what they need. Isn’t that so, Luciano?
Corelli: Certo, Commandante. I tell my me-n to bring bac-k more stu-f. We be ready.

Edited by TinMan_JB
add forgotten pic, removed pic (cosmetic)

Hello, dear readers. This is the one where they start a traveling agency. May I present...

CHAPTER 10 - CHASING TAILS

[X-Division master log-book]

querry: tag=log and indate(19790917:19790920)
results:

[19790917]

0531 MiG-31 interceptor delivered by land transport; it is missing engines, radar and other equipment; Engineering says it can be made operational by using alien components, but they are missing some specific parts

1922 AWACS sent to eastern Pacific to monitor activity

[19790918]

#### Hangars at X-NORAM and X-SEAC complete.

####4 F-16 interceptors requested from USAF stock.

1900 AWACS mission recalled. No contacts

#### Interrogation of captured alien complete; xenolingustics breakthrough, but not much else, since alien was a low ranked grunt. Dreyfuss wants to interrogate a higher ranked alien officer

[19790919]

#### Jackal armor developed, 5 units put in production immediately

#### F-16-2 is flown in from Jordan for final repairs; ETA 11h

1815 Several reports of alien activity over Atlantic; AWACS launched to monitor activity

[19790920]

0537 UFO-08 detected by AWACS over central Atlantic

0747 UFO-08 changes course toward African mainland. X-NACOM launches 3 interceptors, call sign Shrike (2-Shvetsov, 3-Akamatsu, 4-Petersen)

1129 UFO-08 intercepted by Shrike east of St. Helena. UFO downed in the sea; Shrike-2 down, Shvetsov ejected. Plane lost.

#### Research has developed incendiary weapon concept. New projects were started.

#### Replacement F-17 requested from USAF stock

2000 4 out of 5 ordered Jackal armour sets completed

2311 2 F-17 arrived at X-NORAM

2340 2 F-17 arrived at X-SEAC

September 21st 1979

[00:34 GMT; X-NACOM Command room]

Gisbergh: Sir, both teams are standing by, ready to go.

image.jpeg.469b4e4441bd6c2d9954fe8fc29f9681.jpegimage.jpeg.469b4e4441bd6c2d9954fe8fc29f9681.jpeg

Reynalds: Commander?

Rhys-Martins: Establish radar surveillance of North America and South east Asia immediately.

Reynalds: Yes, Sir! [takes the microphone] This thing on? Ahem…
X-NORAM, X-SEAC! Establish radar surveilance in 3...2...1…GO!
Turn on your radars!

Gisbergh: Both radars on-line at 00:35:00 GMT.

image.jpeg.d49c0fa9d137627dc00761e20770563f.jpeg

De Gini: I am receiving live feed from X-SEAC… I am receiving life feed from X-NORAM.
Good resolution. Negligible data loss. Considering we are on ground lines, this is as good as it gets...

Reynalds: [to C-in-C]: Commander! I report both radars are on-line and operational! Radar surveilance established!

Rhys-Martins: Jolly good, Kurt! Well done everyone! Now… let’s see what flies in…

[4 minutes later…]

de Gini, to himself: This can’t be right… [to Reynalds] Sir! X-NORAM radar is already showing UFO presence! Could be some interference from long range cable transmitions. I’d like to check with them, maybe we need to re-calibrate the amplify…
Gisbergh: Sir! X-NORAM station reports they too have a bogey on radar!

image.jpeg.e6771a4ff92c73bd7488a4a3ba0b2dde.jpeg

Reynalds: People, it’s happening!!
This Is Happening GIFs | Tenor [sorry, couldn't help myself... ]
All hands on stations! Call in C-Ops! [to Gisbergh] Check readyness of X-NORAM interceptors!
[to C-in-C] That was quick…

Gisbergh: Sir, they are still being refuelled and armed. They are not ready.
Reynalds: Damn! Tell them to hurry!

[00:56 GMT]

de Gini: UFO-09 has touched ground near Kugluktuk, Canada!

image.jpeg.33a32900eb8f6284646010174f772efc.jpeg

Voroshilov: We must send QRF now! Where is Corelyi when…
Corelli: Prego! You cal-l?

Voroshilov: Alert your team and get out in 10 minutes! Time is at most important! IDTI! GOOO!!
Corelli: Con permesso!! [runs out like all hell just broke loose] PASSANDO! DA PARTE!!*
                                                                                                *Coming through! Move aside!

Gisbergh: Sir, X-NORAM reports interceptors are re…
image.jpeg.94ab729441a0a60b4868438f06053e71.jpeg
Reynalds: Scramble readiness!

[01:05 GMT]

de Gini: QRF has departed. ETA… somewhere around 1720 hours.

image.jpeg.8f5c1707d5684b1d87e010e4f77b63b8.jpeg

Reynalds: It’s gonna to be a looong day, people… [to Voroshilov] Some of the crew should get some rest…
Voroshilov, C-Ops: Nobody go anywhere until this UFO is in our hand. Where is again Corelyi?

Gisbergh, cautiously: Sir… I think he is onboard…
Voroshilov: On board?! He went to shit himself now??!

Reynalds: Gene... I think he was trying to say… onboard Charlie-1.
Voroshilov: PROK$$#&@E!!!
GET HIM HERE BACK, NOW!

Reynalds: They already left! Remember… [imitates] Time is at most important!
Voroshilov: Harasho! Let him go... I wish he get sick!

[12:01 GMT/08:01 local time; above Gulf of S. Lawrence]

Corelli: Wha-t biutifu-l mornin-g! Aaahh...
Guarda, delfini!

.... ..

[co-pilot pokes his head through the hatch] Chief, ADC on the radio...[holds a head-set to Corelli]

Corelli: Corelli. Prego...

..... ... .. ...

Corelli: Si...

... .. ...... ..

Corelli: Bene. Ou-t. [to the squad] UFO i-s on air. We too lat-e...

image.jpeg.b9f7ca72ed85ef74e0c6ab628bd8e243.jpeg

Squad: $$#?!€€∆!! Ooohhh... For f#*& $$&$!! M#####!

Corelli [spreads his hands]: Calma, amici! Calma!

Wagner: We are zo zlow... I could zwim faster...

Corelli: Veramente... Charly is slow. Is i-t what is i-t... Pero... They sen-d intercettori to pu-t UFO bac-k on ground, only fo-r you. Now, enjo-y the rid-e...

Guarda, Novotni... Una picolla cerbiatta*! Look it ru-n!! Che bella... (*a little doe)

Novotny: Lovely, chief...

[12:57 GMT; Command room]

Reynalds: Tell Corelli the UFO is back on south lane. He may still get a chance here.

[13:35 GMT]

de Gini: Sir, UFO-09 is over land. Interceptors are not far!

image.jpeg.7888e813de7a79338b21b034e84b1aa4.jpeg

Reynalds: Excellent! Engage as soon as they get visual. They won’t get away this time!

[14:03 GMT / 07:03 local time; somewhere east of Umingmaktok]

Swallow-1: Nest, we have visual! UFO is over land! Engaging now! Swallow-2, we engage!

Oh… Nest?! UFO just pan-caked!

image.jpeg.298d99211052997970e8b54a23c18d5e.jpeg

.?!

Swallow-1: It looks like a weather station! Sending coordinates now.

!

Swallow-1: Copy. We’ll make sure they don’t go anywhere. Over, out.

[11:01 local time; Weather station St. Helena]

John: What are they doing now?!! You see anything??!

Anthony: One is over there! Poking around the generator. And that scary one is… I can’t see! I don’t know where are the rest!

John: Make sure the one upstairs doesn’t come down!!

What is that… Not another saucer!!?
Awww, we’re toast!!!!

image.jpeg.4c02ec6323b7ade8004a2d1008233679.jpeg

Anthony: It's a helicopter!? Sort of…??!

John: WATCH THE STAIRS, DAMMIT!
Anthony: I’m watching!!
John: You got the pistol, not me!

Oh! It’s the ARMY!! We’re saved! Tony, we’re SAVED!

Anthony: You see anything? Where are they?!
John: Behind those trees, I don’t see s***! Oh, there goes one, with a shield...They seem to know what they’re doing!

image.jpeg.ef580f68ae509155e751ff4e6918a47a.jpeg

Anthony: Look, another one!

John: You are watching the stairs, RIGHT??!

Oh, there goes one! WATCH OUT!!! $***, one of the guys was hit!

image.jpeg.7f204184950b28e7311fa4c5cdba2c94.jpeg

YEEEEE!!! Take that! You watching?

Anthony: Yeah, I see.
John: THE STAIRS, DAMMIT!
Anthony: Oh… It hasn’t come down yet.

image.jpeg.762064b256d41b85fda39ce8c8865ae1.jpeg

John: HEY, FELLAS! SO GLAD YOU’RE HERE! WE…
5: How many of you?

John: EhmTwo. Erika was shot by some...
5: Any other aliens around?

John: One’s upstairs and…
5: GET DOWN!! Horvath, Novotny, cover. I go up!

image.jpeg.967aedb12b7a888bf963d795c4a826bb.jpeg

[gunfire]

He’s in the corner. HE’S COMING DOOWN!

John: Aaawww! He’s gonna…
8: Shut up! Get down! [Zzzzap] Aaaah…
5: Nowoootny! [gunfire]

CLEAR! Check his pulse!

1: He will be OK. Just stunned!
7: Any other around? Hey, you two!! Are there any other around??!

John: One was by the generator, by the pond. And we’ve seen one more, scary thing. Totally like the one from the movie!

7: What you going on about??
Anthony: It’s true!! That thing’s like from the Alien movie!

5: Because it is an alien… Never mind. Let’s move.

[shots fired from the far side behind the trees]
5: The rookies must’ve trapped something…

image.jpeg.489e25318f93e0e428274030907fe4fc.jpeg

7: Contact! East, by the pond!

image.jpeg.ba14e817753d6f148f40686bbe1074a4.jpeg

5: Horvath, check the roof.

1: CLEAR!

5: Coming up!

I see him! [shot fired]
Missed!

BUTLER!! BEHIND THE TREES!

image.jpeg.93be47c6ef30e424969638e0dc2b2cc4.jpeg
5: You got him! Nice one!

4: Bergman found the UFO! North east!
5: Horvath, Degli Esposti! North flank. We go south. You two! Don’t move!!

… .

John: I hope they will get them… Anthony?
ANTHONY!!

Anthony: WHAT!!!??

John: Nothing! Thought you were… you know…

[LOUD EXPLOSION, GUNFIRE]

Anthony: They are giving them the lead! I’ll have a look!
John: Don’t move, they said!

Anthony: Oh, just here through the door…

image.jpeg.33bf75c6145ac3914a720a1bb86a98b0.jpeg

Oh, they are gonna hit them bad!
John: Get back in! You’ really askin’ for a stray bullet or somethin’?!

Anthony: Gimme a break! Oh they’ve opened the hatch!

image.jpeg.f3f7e964340925253d850c1646529dd0.jpeg

S***! ONE IS DOWN!!! Noooo…
John: I see!

image.jpeg.509445056179734b8f7e80fccab38507.jpeg

Anthony: They are coming. It’s over, John! We’re safe...

John: What are they carrying there!? Anthony!!?

image.jpeg.7123c5f96afb6b8f7a71460728c36113.jpeg

Edited by TinMan_JB
Cosmetic touch-up

Hello, dear readers!
It was inevitably coming - the end of a vacation and the return to everyday routine, meaning less time to throw at this AAR. I hope the wait will be worth it.
This is the one where some start acting like grown ups (and some still don't).
May I present...

CHAPTER 11 – NEW FRIENDS (AND OLD NEMESIS)

September 22nd 1979

[05:33; Living quarters, doctors relaxing off duty]
[Dr. Burns comes in]: What are you two up to again? And what is this bottle doing here?! I strictly...
Dr. Pierce: Trapper, I bet this bottle of gin that Frank here won’t let us have it!

Dr. McIntyre: Sure! What’s the bet?

Dr. Pierce: If I’m right, we keep the bottle!

Dr. Burns: I for sure won’t tolerate drinking in this establish...
Dr. Pierce: Oh... we lost the bet! Let’s open this bottle to make us feel better!

[at this moment a speaker announcement interrupts]
Attention, all personnel - we interrupt your sweet dreams to bring you the following nightmare…

McIntyre: Don’t you hate it when you win and lose at the same time? [They run for Hangar 6, with Dr. Burns lagging behind]

[15 minutes later; Hangar 2]

image.jpeg.1d23112c83b740447f8834bee5917b0c.jpeg

Corelli: DOTTORI! Is Novotny! He hit ba-d!

Dr. Pierce: Don’t worry, we’ll fix him for another round. Trapper! 1..2..3...[they put Nowotny on a medical trolley and race for OR]

[Dr. Burns stands at the side and doesn’t quite know what to do]
Thompson: Doc, take a look at Bergman. He’s wounded too.

Corelli: What abou-t you? You’ have bloo-d...
Thompson: Nah... It’s not mine. Oh, look who’s here... [gestures at Dr. Dreyfuss who just came in]
Doctor.. to whom do we owe this pleasure?

Dr. Dreyfuss: Did you bring me any live ones? Officers?
Corelli: No, dottore. No liv-e alien. Pero, no officer was on boar-d, my me-n thin-k. Only blu shir-t.

Dr. Dreyfuss: Blue shirts... What about artefacts?

Thompson: All bagged and sealed. Over there.

[at this moment Voroshilov walks in, followed by Reynalds]
Voroshilov: There he is! CORELLYI!

Corelli [to Thompson]: Tell doctor what we discu-s on way bac-k! [turns away to face C-Ops]

CAPO! We are bac-k! Wha-t a...
Voroshilov: What you think to risk you like this! You leave on Charly with no permission!!

Corelli: Si, Capo! Ma mi hai dato il per...
Voroshilov: ANGLIYSKIY!!!

Corelli: Scusi... Mi dispiace. I try to sa-y... you give permis...
Voroshilov: You say I know not what I say??!

Reynalds: Gene... You did tell him to get out...
Voroshilov: Harasho! Next time I call translator... [points at Reynalds] Oh! Is already HERE! [leaves furiously]

Reynalds [looking at Voroshilov leaving]: You did well, Corelli.

[07:25 GMT; Dr. Dreyfuss’ memo to C-in-C]

Laboratory 2 has been finished. I urgently need more assistants to carry out my research projects in timely manner. Here is the list of potential candidates. Get me as many as possible! Urgently!!

Amalric, Dr. Dreyfuss

image.jpeg.41ede953e78dbf9d4293d2a666eaea1c.jpeg

[08:19 GMT; Officer’s mess]

Rhys-Martins: Ah... that was lovely. Thank you, Mrs. Veronica!

Reynalds: Sir, if I may... Shvetsov, our pilot, was fished out of Atlantic by the French Navy an hour go. I got word from Gisbergh just as I was coming here. He’ll be here in the evening.

Rhys-Martins: Oh, jolly good! What a relief... Isn’t that so, Yevgeny?

[Horachkova comes in]
Horachkova: I’m very sorry, Sir! Dr. Dreyfuss insisted I bring yout this immediately...

Rhys-Martins: Let me see! … Ah, yes. Where is my pen...
Here! Get this to Personnel right away!
image.jpeg.b403e1cc56623923d91dad6fe7a6fba7.jpeg

[Horachkova leaves]

One other thing. The assessment to re-establish abandoned bases has already borne ample fruit. We should re-establish our presence in South America immediately. The funds are still available. Kurt, I trust it to you to reopen X-SAMC outpost. Command room and radar for now.

image.jpeg.1fe8d56a904f6790f575312046e5897f.jpeg

Now, where were we? Luciano... tell us about your little adventure, would you?

image.jpeg.cf0aad48d1990bdc229794a3ab50dd98.jpeg     image.jpeg.242b5f690a1f0ea376a97c28cb2cb252.jpeg

[11:20 GMT; Engineering report by V. Kagnov]

We destroy UFO scout like Dreyfuss want. We get:

image.jpeg.c63e05f2ef26d264b287470a9f42e95a.jpeg

No enough computer part to start work on MiG. We now destroy light scout for get more.

image.jpeg.ebfa73edeb5629484971bd4fb250b9c6.jpeg

[18:53 GMT; X-NACOM helipad]

Akamatsu: Anatoly Arkadyevich... [bows] Good to see you again...[bows again] Now you have a lovely tan, just like me!

Shvetsov: Ehh, shut up! I get bake on small raft in ocean, 2 days! I tell you, Akamatsu... I refuse fly that any more! [points towards hangars with remaining two F-17 interceptors]

image.jpeg.30e20817267ff9887fbe6e428358f244.jpeg

That thing is...obychnoye der’mo!

Akamatsu [bows]: Hai! I agree. But let me remind you, Anatoly... We are at war against overwhelming odds! Like my father was during world war two against the Americans. He flew an obsolete Zero-Sen fighter almost to the end and never thought of quitting! It is the spirit of the warrior that makes the difference in battle! [bows]

Shvetsov: Da… Very good, Akamatsu! And how did it end for your father and Japan?

Akamatsu [bows, proud]: My father survived the war. He is now 80 years old.

Shvetsov: But Japan did not. If they not give us better plane, we all be like Japan, soon!

Akamatsu: HAI! [bows deeply] Wakarimasu!
[at this moment – it is 18:55, scramble alarm sounds; Akamatsu sprints for hangars without saying anything else]

image.jpeg.9a3e0cfe05ab9beac271f54ea61d7a6a.jpeg

Shvetsov: GO MY DANCING FRIEND AKAMATSU AND SPIRIT OF WARRIOR WITH YOU!
[to himself]: You will need one, to live in that.

[19:32 GMT; Outside by the X-NACOM radar installations]

Where were you?

I met Dreyfuss on the way. He wanted me...
Whatever! You got it?

Here... These are the projects... And the pistol.

image.jpeg.8b51d8cc951943813dc0c2f76aaa03de.jpegimage.jpeg.7d2c749e892a8d86d74fde75985edde1.jpeg

Godt!

I don’t know if this is smart... Someone...
What? You didn’t cry when you took the money. I take all the risk anyway. Get me more! [leaves]

[20:30 GMT; Control room]

de Gini: Swallow is ready to engage but they are still over Gulf of Oman. UFO-10 is heading south-west, should be over land soon.

image.jpeg.36efebf8c9ba4499643a78eddf631b2d.jpeg

Reynalds: Stand-off, engage once over land!

[20:48 GMT]

Swallow: We’re back in. Engaging!
image.jpeg.288b583943a5b0b06b934f82fec5b816.jpeg
Nest: Roger!

Reynalds: How are they doing? Let me see...

image.jpeg.30e43c4248f29ed0ed3eb4d065f7b16b.jpegimage.jpeg.0325cc9cdc818f776374bc4426dbd839.jpeg

De Gini: Standard engagement procedure. They split, one lures and the other... OH! The radar just froze!

Come on... reset already!!

Reynalds [grabs microphone]: Swallow, report!

De Gini: OK, WE’RE BACK! Let me see... Oh! Mierda...

image.jpeg.d7f56b7b141cab920144bf90d64b3ae3.jpeg
Sir... I think the UFO has just crashed. But so have our guys... Their signals are gone.

Reynalds, to Gisbergh: Listen for SOS transponders!

Anything?!

Gisbergh: Sir, I might be getting... Yes, one. From Akamatsu, loud and clear now. Petersen’s... is silent.

I’m sorry , Sir.

image.jpeg.24413be86a0c7289265e084b2e898606.jpeg

Voroshilov: We wait daylight for ground operation. Launch QRF at 0230 hour. Third watch keep station, rest go sleep.
And make sure Corelli is here before they go!

September 23rd 1979

[02:27 GMT; Hangar 6]

Corelli: Squadra, easy!
image.jpeg.3f5f3420e5b86a4e43c6595ffe6f446b.jpeg

I very much lik-e to go, pero... our X-O he cry if I go. So I sta-y. [nervous laughter]
You have every-thing?

Thompson: Yes, chief. Kaganov even brought us this... Show him, Chris!
image.jpeg.ebb996713e41fbc4fd4716203216964f.jpeg

Corelli: Molto bene... I hope you not nee-d it. Allora! Weapon chec-k!

CHECK!

..?!

ENTRARE, STERMINARE, USCIRE!!!

Certamente! VAI!

image.jpeg.25b8f899dccde824441e7abdaa6cfa66.jpeg

[04:43 GMT/05:43 local time; somewhere in Saudi Arabia]

5: GO GO GO! Secure perimeter!

3: Contact! North, 150!
5: Wagner, deplooy! Dang, missed!

image.jpeg.1b2e60c6b7b9392e5f66edc33669e7cc.jpegimage.jpeg.8a3120eff6ecdef17cb86106d4c2e44a.jpeg
5: You should be pitching for the Yankees, Degli Esposti!
Spread out!

4: Aaaaahhh! Can’t stand it! NOOOO!!!!
1: HEY! Look at me! LOOK AT ME! They are messing with your head! Fight it!

4: OK... I’m OK...
5: Grab your gun!

6: I see the craft! To west!
image.jpeg.02cb79c14a6bcde8c178cafbb43343b9.jpegimage.jpeg.b10b92a5a5672a1700798986c070f2ce.jpeg

Oh, S***!!! XENO!! OVER HERE!!

4: Where??!

1: Behind the...
image.jpeg.f1ed1181d16ee80239f7d216595dcf9e.jpegimage.jpeg.324a327a9dfab4403320a025cd742a77.jpeg

5: Grenades don’t do s***!!!

6:It’s coming! RUUUN!!!
image.jpeg.2756f67e3d7c305d72e956adefeab4f6.jpeg
5: FLAME IT!!!

7: KAYTA! DOWN!!!
image.jpeg.664fe423ea93ec7a4b86d2c9936046ed.jpegimage.jpeg.bddf483f97932eeb880da58d03525495.jpeg

4: It burns! IT BUURNSS!!! Aaahh...
1: You m**$#!! You almost burned both of us!
7: How about a THANK YOU? That thing was gonna...

6: Is it gone!?

5: TOMMY! GET YOU S*** TOGETHER, MAN! Grab that gun!

Move on! You OK, Butler?

image.jpeg.b19fb97c869a72d64d8832ef39c0c6b6.jpegimage.jpeg.fb583e305240d3ea0c70f07e87fcef3f.jpeg

Carefull now!

6: THEY COM-E OOOUT!!!

AAAaaarrgh!

DAMN!
BEHIND YOU!!

image.jpeg.a2a97ea58abdea240b25e39bab0a79c7.jpegimage.jpeg.aa141e81e75f73de7344e877b69e4767.jpeg

5: Is he...
7: Stunned. He’ll be fine.

5: Pheww... Kayta, point! Lets storm this b****!

image.jpeg.9b2f8b3f36c2c7642338a6c09e5a9fda.jpeg
Open it!

2: Behind the door!

7: MOVE ASIDE!!
image.jpeg.e3cd986cf235ca91366e9b248b01f2e4.jpegimage.jpeg.cc7e272af9097ea5f7d06c5f436c0a24.jpeg
CLEAR!

Prepare for the next...

Open!

image.jpeg.07cd19eba390b6cfc0af630a3daafeca.jpegimage.jpeg.6b237ad56ef0f69cc8c1ea9c7c1c1d45.jpeg

image.jpeg.ba122d832bff02b49354105ba442caa2.jpeg

CLEAR!
This thing hit the ground hard...

5: Allrighy people, pack up everything! I’m gonna check on Thothkins.

Hey, buddy! You allright?

6: Mmm.. Mmmpf...

5: Yeah... take it easy now... You’re going home.

Dear readers! This is the one where people get upset. I present...

CHAPTER 12 – PARADIGM SHIFT

September 23rd 1979

[08:25 GMT; Conference room]

Rhys-Martins: Breakfast was delicious, wasn’t it? [blurp...] Oh, pardon me...
Luciano... anything new on the wounded soldiers?

Corelli: Niente, Commandante. Dottori the-y patch up Novotny, he be goo-d in some days. Butle-r he has bur-n but is not in dange-r. Il resto va bene... Scusi... Other are fin-e.

Very good. Let's take a look at our assets then, shall we... Yevgeniy?

Voroshilov: Yes, Komandir. Headquarters, X-NACOM, is out for living place. When more scientist arrive, men be sleeping like fish! It is too many... We need more beds!

Reynalds: Well, there is some more space around. We could erect another living quarters, but we also need some of that space for another radar...
Voroshilov: ANOTHER RADAR! You have 2 already! You not have enough?!

Reynalds: As we already discussed several times... We need them radars to detect them aliens!

Rhys-Martins: May I suggest an alternative path to a solution... We now have 1 base and two outposts operational, and the third is on the way. We could expand one of the outposts to become a research centre. We would have to provide accommodation and a laboratory, of course!

Reynalds: That is a great idea, Sir! This way we could move some of the Research department and free up some quarters here. I think X-SEAC is the better of the two outposts for this purpose. There’s a lot of workforce around. We could start in a matter of hours...

Rhys-Martins: Jolly good, Kurt. See to it! And speaking of...how is the south American base coming along?

Reynalds: A team has arrived at the site. They report heavy vegetation all over the place and are having trouble to enter the Command room. They’ll have to axe their way in...

Voroshilov: It is in middle at Amazona! What you expect!?

Rhys-Martins: Well, in light of recent reports we received about alien activity in the South Pacific I believe it was a sound decision to re-activate that base. They shall prevail... It is only rainforest, after all. Anything else?

Voroshilov: Da... Another soviet interceptor is delivered to X-NACOM in 3, 4 days.
Reynalds: I hope this one is flying in. I don’t need another sitting...
Voroshilov: It is coming by land. Engine broken from very high-speed flying.

Reynalds: Excellent! I will tell the pilots to glide them upon them UFOs...

September 24th 1979

[10:30 GMT; Engineering report to ADC]

We finished pulling parts from UFO. Now we have all component to work on MiG Foxtrot. All tool ready, we finish soon.
image.jpeg.4f01f30dbce79373cd1fca73d677d972.jpeg

Kaganov

[later that day; X-NACOM Helipad]

Shvetsov: Junichi! Good you are back! You are okey?

Akamatsu [bows]: Hai! I parachuted in the desert, but the Saudi military saw me and picked me up. I was lucky...
Shvetsov: That warrior spirit look after you, da?

Akamatsu: No. It did not get a chance to awaken. One moment I was firing the missile and the next I was ejecting. What happened to the UFO I don’t...
Shvetsov: You don’t know!? You shoot it down! With your missile! Oh, Akamatsu... you did wake your warrior spirit after all!

Akamatsu [bows deeply]: Hai! What good is that when Petersen is in a grave...

September 25th 1979

[18:00 GMT; short report from Research to C-in-C by Diego Vasco da Silva Magan]

Sir, I report on behalf of Chief scientist, Dr. Dreyfuss

20 scientists have arrived this morning and have been allocated to ongoing projects. We are now making excellent progress on several fronts.

We have completed research on alenium. This alien substance will be very important to us so make sure ground teams collect as much of it as possible on every mission. They will not know what to look for, so brief them before they go out.

We have also looked into alien mini shield they brought back with several dead caesans but we don’t know if we can use it ourselves; best to try it out in the field if possible

We have also finished Sebilian scout operator interrogation. The prisoner provided us with more questions than answers though.

See appendices for details.

image.jpeg.24de3cb7606655c268ca7fd7190cb719.jpeg  image.jpeg.b23d34e22fde47c1de54428bb76f1531.jpeg  image.jpeg.09557c9261385820aa003afbf8e6345e.jpeg

Diego da Silva, Assistant to Dr. Dreyfuss (lead scientist)

I verify. Amalric, Dr. Dreyfuss

[11:25 GMT; Hangar 3]

Akamatsu: Now this is better, Anatoly Arkadyevich! I see they have made quite substantial modifications since we last saw the plane...

image.jpeg.8952681cf670b23344cea8b39231f232.jpeg

Shvetsov: Yes, Junichi! Look... [caresses the plane with his hands] 4 heavy pylons... we carry short or long range missile... Good! Sidewinder range is small, we always have to get close... so close. Not with this [shows the Avalanche]! We will show them not mess with soviet... Earth pilots! I will revenge death of Petersen!! [shakes a fist towards the sky]

Akamatsu [bows]: Hai! I only hope the engines are strong enough to lift this steel beast off the ground.

[21:40 GMT; Lead engineer memo to C-in-C]

Comrade! I have not enough staff to make all project Dreyfuss is bringing. We build all this now:
image.jpeg.48ceaea5d6156bffa17c579d20641df6.jpeg

Corelli insist we build many incendiary grenade for QRF and Reynalds want Mauser to test
image.jpeg.8883bdba11e9094e8daadbad5dae4ed8.jpeg     image.jpeg.6564565ce69c47b132b026f128c71263.jpeg
Please give 5 more engineer for first batch and more in next day!

Kaganov

September 26th 1979

[5:25 GMT; ADC log book]

5:15, X-NACOM: 2 replacement F-17 fighters arrived; 4 interceptors on strength:
image.jpeg.c82f01fca5364cc1484d22570f46f65f.jpeg

5:20, X-NACOM: 1x F-17-11 ferried to X-NORAM immediately to make space for modification of another Foxtrot that was delivered during the night (Engineering already started the conversion)
5:20, X-SEAC: 1 F-17 arrives at X-SAEC; 3 interceptors on strength

[09:22 GMT; C-in-C memo to Research]

Research will dismiss 5 scientists to make room for 5 engineers urgently needed in Engineering.
Execute immediately!

C-in-C

[09:37 GMT; Memo from Research to C-in-C]

I have dismissed 5 assistants. This is nonsense! You are aware we are losing this war because of our technological insufficiency?
image.jpeg.f16324c9f65a7c5617e069807b617566.jpeg
Amalric, Dr. Dreyfuss

[11:05 GMT; Commander office]

[Petra Horachkova comes in]: Excuse me, Sir! Lead engineer is waiting outside. He asks to see you.

Rhys-Martins: Very well, send him in. I wonder what he has to say...

[2 minutes later]

Rhys-Martins: Very well, Vitaly. Let’s call the other party, shall we... Petra, please go to Research and fetch Dr. Dreyfuss. We have an important matter to discuss.
Would you fancy a cup of tea while we wait?

[5 minutes later]

[Horachkova returns, without Dr. Dreyfuss]

Rhys-Martins: Petra! You seem to have lost Dr. Dreyfuss along the way?

Horachkova: I am very sorry, Sir! Dr. Dreyfuss refused to come. He said he will not be bothered in the middle of an experiment...

Rhys-Martins: Is that so?! Very well... Petra, please go to barracks and secure some leverage to gain Dr. Dreyfuss’ attention. Go.

[to Kaganov] While we wait for the doctor to join us, you could tell me all about the projects you have had your hands full with...

[8 minutes later]

image.jpeg.c736cac63420f083e58d7bd00a77bffb.jpeg  image.jpeg.f90007494c458a9b778d5fa6ed2bbd3a.jpeg  image.jpeg.4f865b1e765fe0eb5e0abbbe1dfa1302.jpeg

Rhys-Martins: Ah, Dr. Dreyfuss. You finally elected to join us...

Dr. Dreyfuss: I did not “elect” anything. These two brutes you sent dragged me from a very important experiment I was...
Rhys-Martins: Let me remind you, doctor... It is expected in this establishment of subordinate personnel, civilian or not, to comply with orders of their superiors! As you failed to comply to a direct order, as Commander in Chief, I resorted to enforcing my will.

Now... I summoned you because our lead engineer, Mr. Kaganov here says his department is flooded with projects while your men are scratching their behinds, so to speak.

Dr. Dreyfuss: My assistants are not scratching anything. They are all working on final reports for several breakthrough discoveries. And who you think gave them [shows at Kaganov] the blueprints and protocols to work on?

Rhys-Martins: Oh, I’m sure it was Research. However, as I understand, you currently have no further projects to pursue, while Engineering is severely under-staffed. Therefore, I shall authorise for an additional lay-off of 8 scientists to make room in living quarters for...

Dr. Dreyfuss: THAT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE! I NEED MY ASSISTANTS! WHO DO YOU THINK YOU...
 Rhys-Martins [stands up furiously; is this the first time he had really lost his temper?]: ENOUGH!!! I have had enough of your insolence! Nobody in this establishment is irreplaceable, not even me.. AND NOR ARE YOU!! YOU will start to BEHAVE or else I shall start looking for a more compliant person for the post of head scientist! You will lay-off those 8 and another 7 scientists.
image.jpeg.fb5ccf4ce260280be45b10c309a7b9ff.jpeg  image.jpeg.24403ae855fc6c05502b042474e33da4.jpeg

And to prove my point...Laboratory no. 2 is going down.
image.jpeg.dad135f3ecedec50f45a506ce28da52f.jpeg

The construction materials will be repurposed to erect a second workshop.
That is all, Dr. Dreyfuss! You may return to your experiments now!

Dr. Dreyfuss: I... You can’t...

Rhys-Martins: I can, and I will. Privates, please escort Dr. Dreyfuss out of my office. He seems to have forgotten how he came in.

image.jpeg.c736cac63420f083e58d7bd00a77bffb.jpeg  image.jpeg.f90007494c458a9b778d5fa6ed2bbd3a.jpeg  image.jpeg.4f865b1e765fe0eb5e0abbbe1dfa1302.jpeg

September 27th 1979

[14:06 GMT; Command room]

De Gini: SIR! 2 contacts, designated UFO-11 and UFO-12! 12 is north of Beijing, 11 is above the Carribean. Both are small.

image.jpeg.ea747083349f14468f4c3846f57d77ae.jpeg  image.jpeg.698c7a0392364b4658cdee4f045c9c67.jpeg
Voroshilov: Alert everyone! Get ADC!

Reynalds: I’m here!
OH, we have two!? How lucky we have all those bases and radars, eh?

Voroshilov: Do your job! ($*&@…)

Reynalds [to de Gini]: Scramble 2 from X-NORAM and 3 from X-SEAC!

[14:19 GMT]

De Gini: Both flights are on intercept... OH! We have another one! UFO-13, in our neighbourhood! Just west...
Reynalds: Scramble our fighters, the new one too! Let's see if it’s worth anything...

[16:15 GMT; near Lake Tanganyika]

Fox-3: Bandit! 1 o’clock!
image.jpeg.2c108149f8a29c8577cfcc5f9d278e74.jpeg  image.jpeg.7aff5c8849484cd35d8a8b0c20889192.jpeg

Fox-1: I see! 2, 3, right! I go straight in! Nest, we are engaging!

Fox-1: Rocket awaaay! Look at it go!

image.jpeg.481fdc782e1882ca9d5f5f750673eedb.jpeg DAA!! IDI...

Fox-2: You got him! Congratulations, Anatoly Arkadyevich! Your first...
Fox-1: Nest, Fox shoot down UFO.

With a weapon like this, they be many more, Junichi!

..!! …?

Fox-1: I did. Understand, return to base. Over, out.

This is for Petersen...

[16:54 GMT; Command room]

De Gini: Vulture has bounced the bogey and is engaging!

image.jpeg.1772ddc25ea9d3e72b03b4d18f30ddff.jpeg

Reynalds: One goes in, the other is baiting. Just as we trained... I see good hits! OH! It’s turned around so fast! Evade! Evade! Come on 1, engage! What’s he waiting for?!

image.jpeg.0e8b4c4c5a9c7967d5d1b8245f29b507.jpeg image.jpeg.da689515edb33984105459eb8d86fc1c.jpeg image.jpeg.d2edb89a53070282bc61260adfde613a.jpeg image.jpeg.117efd7437c47df0fc48c46a7f9ad049.jpeg

De Gini: UFO-11 is down!
Reynalds: Good team work!

Voroshilov: You forget number 2 is all shot. That was no good work...

Rhys-Martins: He will fight again. What is important, is that UFO is out of our skies. The nations of Americas will be grateful for that. Now let’s see how our far chaps in the far east do with their prey...

[17:33 GMT]

image.jpeg.03b9298946fe89f7ebb8bada24ee20d0.jpeg image.jpeg.6ee0879f086e379565b119c057a84036.jpeg image.jpeg.b5bf0279a67d60935bd0f4e711569419.jpeg

De Gini: UFO-12 is down

Rhys-Martins: Jolly good! Well.. That was something to behold! Hectic!

Reynalds: It’s good our aviators still know how to manoeuver. In Vietnam we had so much trouble with the Russians... I mean, the Vietnamese.

Voroshilov: Yes, yes... Admit it! Soviet fighter is better than thisAmerican toys... You see before how MiG shoot down UFO with one rocket!?? Not like this dancing... What is it? Brake-dance? [tries to show some moves, failing miserably]
Reynalds: You seem to be a man of many talents, Gene...

Rhys-Martins: Gentlemen... Let me remind you we still have 2 crash sites to deal with...
image.jpeg.bd7f46e07e6067d8841d08b1f86932d1.jpeg

Voroshilov: Da, Komandant! I think... Da...
We attack first site Zero eight. It is dark but when Charly arrive it will be day. When They finish... CORELLI! Where is...

Corelli: Prego!
Voroshilov: Brief your men! They go first for Crash 08. When finish, they fly to site 07. It is in dark now, but will be in day after 12 hour.

Corelli: Capo... My men they not afraid...
Voroshilov: of nothing... We know. Tell what you want allready!

Corelli: Scusi... I try say... They stor-m Zero-Otto, some may-be get injured... And the-y be tire-d...
Voroshilov: They are soldier! No more discussion, Corelli. Brief team and return here back!

Corelli: Certo... Con permesso. [leaves]

Voroshilov: What? They are not children...

Edited by TinMan_JB
removed errand picture

Hello again, dear readers ! I never would have imagined this AAR would have garnered so many views in such a short time... I feel obliged to present...

CHAPTER 13 – THE FULL METAL JACKET

September 27th 1979

[20:53 GMT; Hangar 6]

image.jpeg.3d776c41a91f108b4f6182d3642d083c.jpeg

Corelli: Squadra! Easy.

Toda-y you hav-e a special missio-n. You will stor-m 2 cras-h site. [murmurs in the squad]

Si, sara dificile… is hard. You tak-e all bullet-s e granate you can. You have fla… flam-e…?

Brooks: Flamethrower? Here! We have some incendiary grenades too!

Corelli: Bene! You need, you us-e! But if you hav-e opportunita, gra-b some liv-e alien, e? [amusement in squad]

Some of you on squa-d first tim-e! Sco-t, Grifi-n! Careful! You mee-t caes... skinny one-s, very care-ful! Remember they lik-e give you bad thinkin-g. Resistere! [murmurs of approval]

Allora... This is 2 target for to-day:

image.jpeg.bd7f46e07e6067d8841d08b1f86932d1.jpeg

First is Zero-Otto in Cina, is country sid-e with tree-s. Watc-h for enemy ambus-h! Secondo, Zero-Sette… e una giungla tropicale. Tropica-l forres-t, near Lago Tanganyika. Very careful, many spo-t for enemy to hid-e, hard to mov-e, bad visione! Questions? Bene… Squadra leader toda-y is Tomp-son.

Weapon chec-k!

Thompson: CHECK!

Corelli: Return prou-d!

Squad: YES, CHIEF! ENTRARE, STERMINARE, USCIRE!

Corelli: Vai!

September 28th 1979

[10:40 GMT; Squad leader notes on encounter]

Operation Metal: Disembark 01:25 GMT / 09:25 local. Perimeter est, we start sweeping.

image.jpeg.48b317951850d2b87bd2e99b0b4a5eb3.jpeg

image.jpeg.06459781099ae74fce91f4dde7c38474.jpeg

Skinny blue spotted N-E, distance shot, deflected. Horvath and D. Esposti approach, D.Esp. lands a frag-blue dodged the blast, shot by Horvath.

image.jpeg.87eb1242219eaaf5b59a12bc3ed47356.jpeg  image.jpeg.43f0e745225801b22e1aa0ba7b245a2f.jpeg

Thothkins & Griffin on south lookout, ambushed by 1x blue, Thothkins stunned. Wagner engaged w frag, blue N

image.jpeg.f49d2510653002f1210c6d11898dff87.jpeg  image.jpeg.1b065d14c8ced96a4ac383f42090df22.jpeg

Horvath spotted UFO east. Yellow skinny hiding on the other side but then ran out of cover (trying to get inside?) D. Esp. threw a FB, Horvath charged to stun. Got him alive.

image.jpeg.f634f2040f750ed736a53d06eea431fb.jpeg  image.jpeg.0ee2f8d6e33c62f7183dd7a518a7ca75.jpegimage.jpeg.1b70583beb54dff4377c6efbd712569e.jpeg

Thothkins was revived, perimeter around UFO tightened. One blue hiding inside; smoke depl., Horvath ran in to stun.

image.jpeg.14eaa3406106e3f5ffd22221f80e7dfd.jpeg  image.jpeg.1074d81f214aff660068833343da27c1.jpeg

No injuries, Thothkins only lighly burned when stunned, squad ready for Jacket. Departure for Tanganyika 11:28

image.jpeg.3d42d97118d92e677dac6cad2ef1f449.jpeg

[11:39 local time; over central Africa, near Lake Tanganyika]

image.jpeg.24fea497dbe167cbc832b6e8556e3990.jpeg

Horvath: Why didn’t he say he was bleeding so bad!??

Wagner: He was probably in zhock! He did not feel it...

Thompson: We... We were very lucky today. It could’ve been much worse...

Thothkins: Aye...

Horvath: That thing... [nods towards the back of the helicopter] What is that?? It scared me...
image.jpeg.b0b87d116a8098f03477a2c0cee899b8.jpeg

Brooks: It charged like a bull! Did you see how fast it ran?!

Thothkins: Aye... Thank God we had the incendiaries.
Thompson: And the flamer!
image.jpeg.8b6c29be797b955b5ac16a17705d6027.jpeg  image.jpeg.0787b4569fa488c9a198d7c4dc58d094.jpeg

Thompson: I shot it twice! In the head, but it just kept going!

Horvath: It charged through the wall of flame. Like it didn’t feel... or care?

Brooks: We have the corpse. Maybe Dreyfuss will have some fun with it and then he can draw us a lovely poster.

Thothkins: It’s not funny... You...
Wagner: That thing is so burned I doubt he will be able to draw anything. Maybe he will draw Brooks inztead... [some laugh... and some don't]

Degli Esposti: He injure-d from explosion, no? And you too...

Brooks: Yeah, it was stupid... That frag slipped in my hand... I dropped it on us instead on the seb. Luckily the Jackals took most of the blast. I wouldn’t be here wearing those [nods at Thompson and Wagner]

image.jpeg.7665206f0e706211892f625e93f1e2ce.jpeg  image.jpeg.23e598dca041c6c1fc7d69db0a1f7c25.jpeg

Thothkins: It should be you... YOU KILLED HIM! YOU PI... [jumps on Brooks and gives him the fist]

image.jpeg.d4b8930e1d808cd8026b4df94fb8a16f.jpeg
Thompson:  HEY! HEY!! STOP IT!!! SEPARATE THEM!

John, ENOUGH! Sit down!
Thothkins, crying: He killed him...

Thompson: Yeah Brooks... that was a propef f***#**…

Brooks: I'm sorry! It slipped...

He had some nice actions today...

Yeah... he did. He did everything right...

image.jpeg.4c6b02c482c439a29126c5e4fff83eb9.jpeg  image.jpeg.a028455cf6974489f9fbfeee91697dba.jpeg

image.jpeg.1a6ed31fcf98322de61c34dc9430218e.jpeg  image.jpeg.eec6b2e465a7023527b4b4acb69095de.jpeg

RIP, Tommy.
RIP...

Man... I had a feeling some predator was preying on us as we were moving along the clearings.

Yeah, I was expecting another one to jump us any moment...
image.jpeg.3b2ef222ca5ccce2f27c636ac7378f2e.jpeg

... ..

…!

Yeah, that was when the s*** really hit the fan!! 

image.jpeg.f777773ff584d0a084276de9fd378d95.jpeg  image.jpeg.de9bd4d844422ab756e3e3c51ba11b58.jpeg

.. ...!

....!

...!

image.jpeg.c828586f9a66f31a5768a8d465201349.jpeg  image.jpeg.1b7196582c8bbecb1afe2cc8c278cf3f.jpeg

Thompson: You did well. All of you.
We entered, we..
Squad: ...EXTERMINATED! WE LEFT! [laughter, shoulder slapping]

Thothkins: Today, we did... some of us.

Hello, dear readers. It has been a busy weekend with little time to spare on this AAR adventure, however the wait is now over. Make yourselves comfortable and grab something to quench your apetite. I present...

CHAPTER 14 – HAVE A SANDWICH!

September 28th 1979

[22:35 GMT; Horatio Gisbergh’s diary entry]

Tommy Scott was killed on a mission today and was buried with hponors behind Hangar 6. The service was for Petersen too. His body still hasn’t been recovered but if he’d been alive, he’d been in touch by now. I wish I could’ve attended, but it was during my shift...

image.jpeg.5fc0cf120a6451a2d1aab5dd01053624.jpeg   RIP, Tommy

I heard the grunts talking in the barracks about that new enemy they encountered. Just listening to their story gives me shivers.

Voroshilov was talking about some tank all day. Apparently, Research is penning blueprints for a heavier combat support vehicle. He seems obsessed with it.

[X-Division Master log book]

Querry: tag=log and indate(19790928:19790930)
Results:

[19790928]

2100 5 engineers arrived to X-NACOM

[19790929]

#### Pvt. Boris Shevchuk dismissed by C-QRF for incompetence and cowardice in face of the enemy

#### Mauser gun completed and mounted on F-17-9 for operational testing (see experimental mount picture)
image.jpeg.eb2f385ba5adb252469236c0b75660c9.jpeg

#### incendiary rocket projectile developed and put in limited production
image.jpeg.92eeb198fc0fed18360e5efffdebf057.jpeg

#### remaining research projects are progressing good (see attached file)
image.jpeg.963bfd597664df60c36cfce95dd9b88a.jpeg

[19790930]

#### Defender tank developed; Engineering lacks some materials to proceed, and they are short on manpower, so this tank is yet to enter production.
image.jpeg.40ab236f4fe4bebba91156a3a4e7317b.jpeg  image.jpeg.0a37b63a1726c8d874612c15048615a3.jpeg

October 1st 1979

[00:09 GMT; X-NACOM Conference room]

image.jpeg.6f158ece5851baaadc3f0fb9e22ff81f.jpeg  image.jpeg.fc04ef46c98c631d9742567995f9b439.jpeg

Rhys-Martins: Gentlemen... [the council representatives leave]

Well, that was quick. Wouldn’t you say so, Petra?

Horachkova: Yes, Sir. They seemed pleased. Well, mostly anyway.

Rhys-Martins: You did a jolly good job on the presentation. Too bad they were not interested. Perhaps if they were they would have opened their purse some more…

Horachkova: Sir, if I may… Our upkeep expenses have gone up drastically over the last month since the start of this… invasion. However it was not for triffles… We have re-established two and are in the process of re-activating the third outpost. I strongly believe all these combined will give us much better operational awareness of alien activities. X-Division is on a good path, if I may say so. The funding regions that were not completely satisfied with our performance in this month may change that notion in the coming months. I’m certain of it!

Rhys-Martins: Well, I do hope you are right, Petra! We sure will need all the funding we can get.

October 2nd 1979

[14:55 GMT; Hangar 1]

Shvetsov: Here she is, Junichi… Another Foxtrot interceptor! What a beauty…

Akamatsu: I’m sorry… I only see a lump of steel in this.
Shvetsov: You are wrong, my friend… This [points at the plane] is going to shoot down many UFO! Much more than that [points at the next hangar with F-17]

Akamatsu [bows]: Hai! I hope you are right, Anatoly Arkadyevich. I am the one who is going to fly it in the next battle.

Shvetsov: Let me give some good advice… Never, really never, Junichi...
Akamatsu: Never what!?

Shvetsov: Never ever try a dance with her. She will kill you.

[19:29 GMT; Research report by Diego da Silva M.]

I report on behalf of chief researcher, Dr. Dreyfuss

We have completed Caesan vivisection and caesan navigator interrogation (details in appendix)
image.jpeg.507df615dee350cd84925a230ba88c4e.jpeg  
image.jpeg.9bce259e506ffa06f372745a5508f813.jpeg

Previous research into phasor pistol and rifle has allowed a breakthrough in alien phasor technology; this does not allow us to use their weapons, but we gained enough insight to start working on our own laser technology; project has already been started with top priority

image.jpeg.c756acc0054b0cf50f7246a1de5bfcd6.jpeg

image.jpeg.ca9560ad55d6f5694a24073a75d67249.jpeg

da Silva M.
Approved. Amalric, Dr. Dreyfuss

October 3rd 1979

[09:05 GMT; Commander’s office]

Reynalds: Sir, we have just received a message from X-SAMC outpost. The Control room has been re-activated and is now operational. The construction teams are already working on 2 hangars and the technicians are preparing the ground for a radar array.

Rhys-Martins: Jolly good, Kurt. We will have basic radar coverage of south America in… what? 5, 6 days?

Reynalds: More like 10, sir. The vegetation is really taking a lot of time to remove, and we are still waiting for the radar itself to be delivered.

Rhys-Martins: Very well. What air assets do we currently operate?

Reynalds: We have 4 interceptors here at X-NACOM, 2 of them are the new Foxtrots, an AWACS and the helicopter. We also have 4 interceptors at X-SEAC, 1 is a Foxtrot, and 4 F-17 interceptors at X-NORAM.

Another incomplete MiG-31 has been delivered from the Soviet Union and Engineering says they have enough components to refit that and maybe even one more, however at the moment they are completely pre-occupied with other projects. We also we don’t have an empty hangar here at X-NACOM to house another plane, so it will have to wait. As soon as some additional hangars at our outposts are complete, we are going to shift some planes around to free up a hangar here. We will have a fourth Foxtrot operational at X-NORAM in 10 days, Sir.

Rhys-Martins: Very good. Carry on!

[17:13 GMT; Command room]

de Gini: It’s starting again! Sir, we have 2 bogeys on radar!
UFO-14 over Corsica, heading north-west at 1400km/h, and UFO-15 over southern Madagascar, heading south at 1400km/h.

image.jpeg.622d8065ec98e790583e7aa59e98a153.jpeg

Reynalds: Scramble all X-NACOM interceptors. 1 Foxtrot and 1 F-17 go for UFO-14, and the other pair goes south for UFO-15.

image.jpeg.6136535fb10dabb585dc1db0e359c5bc.jpeg  image.jpeg.6628f9de31bca3cc41a2037b4a40c11a.jpeg

[Voroshilov and C-in-C come in]

image.jpeg.ec5c1be684f6b3eeb0dc7dc11fe2172d.jpeg

Rhys-Martins: I see you have already taken the necessary measures! Very good! Yevgeny, let’s sit down and enjoy the show...

[17:15 GMT]

de Gini: Another bogey above Middle East! UFO-16, also small, heading south-east at 1400km/h.

image.jpeg.74112d1f9aea09e540a35c6e3271afaf.jpeg

Reynalds: Our interceptors are already busy with 14 and 15. How about…
Voroshilov: Use Foxtrot from X-SEAC?!

Reynalds: It could work, if the UFO continues on this course…

[to de Gini] Launch Foxtrot-2, target UFO-16. They should hurry!
image.jpeg.6da5891974e19c750d584c9ba6bade4b.jpeg

[17:50]

de Gini: Sir! 16 just disapeared from radar. It could be…
Gisberghs: Sir! Oman just reported a UFO landing on the ground in the desert near Muscat!

image.jpeg.994e9890236675099b708c6389123470.jpeg

Reynalds: Oh! So they…
Voroshilov: I take over from now. Send QRF… Where is Corellyi!??

Corelli: Prego…

Voroshilov: Send out QRF. Get up in air as quick as goes. We must surprise it still on ground!

Corelli: But… it be dar-k when they arriv-e…
Voroshilov: So what!? Your men are not afraid of anything, you tell me all the time!

Corelli: Certamente… pero…
voroshilov: Stop waste precious time! Brief QRF and get out in 10 minute. Tell pilot to step for it!
Corelli: Certo… Con permesso… [leaves]

Voroshilov: AND YOU COME BACK HERE, YOU HEAR!?

image.jpeg.ba474aebc121e981c2611f6437f22686.jpeg

[19:40]

Gisbergh: Sir! French authorities report a UFO just landed in central France! That must be the 14 we were tracking...

Reynalds: Gene… what do we do?
Voroshilov: Get fighter patrol over landing site. They must not get on air before QRF come.

Reynalds: But they are going the other way! It might be 10, 12 hours before they return, re-equip… The interceptors...
Voroshilov: They not re-equip. They clear 16 quick, then go for 14. No stop.

Corelli: Scusi… Mi dispiace…
Voroshilov: No more talk, Corellyi. You do your job and I do my. Go on radio and tell team new mission parameter!

Corelli: Capisco! Con permesso...

[21:18 GMT / 22:18 local time; somewhere above Oman]

7: ONE MINUTE! Team, get ready!

Remember, use ze flarez. It iz dark out there. Shoot to kill, we must preserve ammunitionz for ze second mission. And no more bullz with grenadez, ja?

Squad: Javohl! [laughs]
7: Gut dass wir uns verstanden…

Drei… Zwei… LOS, LOS!!!

image.jpeg.d692035a116f246226ce764751faf037.jpeg

[21:20 GMT; somewhere between Madagascar and Crozet Islands]

Swallow-2: I’m getting low on fuel. We should return.

Swallow-1: I know it! This American fighter, no range!
Nest! Swallow-Two is low on fuel. We go back.

image.jpeg.81e8878b3b2beade6098071cb0407752.jpeg

….?

Swallow-1: No, no UFO in sight. It run away south. Over, out.

[22:03 GMT / 23:03 local time; an undisclosed location in Oman]

image.jpeg.b10648db0e7401f95a638ed8bad9f24e.jpeg

Vogel: Everyone OK?

Vogel: OK, bag up, pack up. Quickly, we’ve got another UFO to catch.

Owen, Kyle… How is it?

.. ...

What were you two doing out there? You almost killed yourselves!
Griffin [all bandaged, barely standing]: I threw a frag but it hit a tree and bounced back on me. And then this wise guy comes in and wants to show me how to do it…

Thompson, [on a stretcher, all covered in blood and barely speaking]: I....
Vogel: Yes, I heard about that. You two are lucky to be alive. I told you to watch with grenades and what you do!?? Like zome fresh recruits… You are both Navy seals, um Gottes Willen! What you do there?! Mit Luftbalons spielen oder?!

Thompson: Hey…
Vogel: Nei, nei! You will both see MacGuinnes when you recover.

Butler! Bergman! Grab his gear and get Owen in.

All in? Gut. ABFAHREN!

[22:15 GMT; Command room]

Gisbergh: Sir! QRF is returning with…
Voroshilov: Returning where? They go for UFO-14 direct!

Gisbergh: Sir, they have two pretty badly wounded. They want to make a short stop here to disembark those two and pick up 2 replacements.

Voroshilov: No time for this. They go direct…
Corelli: Scusi… Con permesso…

Voroshilov: Corellyi… What is it? Do not say they are not afraid...

Corelli: Certamente no! Bu-t two wounde-d is bad for operation! The-y come here near on the way to UFO-14. They can make a sto-p, due minuti, and the-y go. We make everythin-g ready. Bullet, granate, panini e due sostituzioni. Scusi… two replacemen-t.

Rhys-Martins: Yes, Yevgeniy, I agree with Luciano. It will only take a little time and in return we send out a fully capable team to deal with UFO-14. Prepare everything for a quick pit stop, Luciano!

[23:49 GMT; Hangar 4]

[Thompson and Griffin are taken from Charlie on stretchers with doctors around them]

Corelli: Mamma mia!
What happe-n?! [immagine a typical italian hand gesture :]

Vogel: Oh, those two need zome more time on ze poligon... when they recover. They both dropped grenadez on them selvez.

Corelli: Incredibile... How... No, don-t tell... I do not want to kno-w.
Jacson! Novotny! Grab everythin-g, embar-k!

image.jpeg.d170cd17a40dd8e2aad4301448e7ae55.jpeg

[to Vogel, onboard the helicopter taking off] SOME SANDWIC-H IN BAG FOR EVERYONE! AN-D CAFFE!

October 4th 1979

[00:44 GMT; Command room]

Reynalds: The flight patrolling over 14 is running low on fuel. They only have half an hour left, maybe...

Voroshilov: And Charlie? How...
Reynalds: They are still some 3, 4 hours out...

Voroshilov: Pro*******!! I know this was bad idea... Tell Charly to step to it!

[01:18 GMT]

De Gini: Vulture flight reports low fuel. They are coming back to base.
image.jpeg.e673c1cf12f997642c2184fce9d9838c.jpeg

Reynalds: It was inevitable. Let’s hope the aliens don’t fly off before the QRF arrives! Tell Charlie to really step on it!

[04:07 GMT]

Corelli: QRF is on way to groun-d! UFO wait for the-m.
image.jpeg.75d77ecb7295916ae52aa95b6f2f02dc.jpeg

Voroshilov: Very good. Now clear it out so we can go sleep.
Corelli: Si, Capo!

Rhys-Martins: What is go...
De Gini: Sir! UFO-15 is back on radar, and it is very much in the range of...
Reynalds: Is Swallow flight ready?

image.jpeg.5a87138e69dcff108a446d7a8920bdb9.jpeg

Launch immediately! Where is it heading?

image.jpeg.e576322eee46e850605799cccbb8dd9a.jpeg

De Gini: South-west, along Somali coastline.
Reynalds: Let's hope it steers over land. Sorry Gene, no sleep for us yet...

[04:56 GMT]

Corelli: Signori! Team repor-t they have success! They retur-n home.

image.jpeg.2fd7fe31265f7d3ed1540e795ed3ac3b.jpeg

Rhys-Martins: Jolly good, Luciano! Jolly good. Any wounded?

Corelli: Due. Fogel e... new on-e? Jackson, si! She is quite ba-d but not critical. Il resto va bene!
Voroshilov: Good. Return back but prepare for one more mission!

[05:39 GMT; near Somali coast]

Swallow-1: Nest, this is Swallow! UFO-15 in sight, we can engage. But it has changed course and is heading towards land...

image.jpeg.020a75b2b3abb77d253b3343586ab170.jpeg

….!

Swallow-1: Understood! We trail and engage over land! Swallow out.

[05:52 GMT; Command room]

de Gini: UFO-15 has now crossed the coastline into Somali airspace. Swallow is engaging!
image.jpeg.7b1d151650d0f92e7e7fa27c61f8b2f7.jpeg

image.jpeg.9eda6d92160d1bda62239945a336e0aa.jpeg  image.jpeg.82693de021291158222236ccea10ad45.jpeg

UFO-15 is down!

[applause from the crew]

Rhys-Martins: Congratulations to the pilots! And to everyone in this room too. You have shown... a stellar performance today!

Voroshilov: Excuse me, Komandant... It is not over, still we have crash site to clean.

Rhys-Martins: Certainly! Proceed with the operations.

Voroshilov: Thank you. Corellyi, get your team quick home, change wounded and go out again!
Corelli: Scusi... They ca-n have some to eat, no? The-y be out 16 hour!

Voroshilov: Yes, they can have quick breakfast. This one will not run away.

Rhys-Martins: I believe we all could have something to eat. Corelli, while you are at it, please ask the kitchen to bring us something in here too.

[08:28 GMT; Hangar 4]

Dr. Pierce: Trapper, this reminds me of the good old times we've had in Korea. A medevac helicopter every 6 hours, and some gin for in-between!

Dr. Burns: Why is it you two are always going on about drinking! It...
Dr. MacIntyre: Sorry Frank, the medevac has arrived. This is no time to discuss our free time activities!

[they run for the helipad, where the wounded Jane Jackson is being carried out on a stretcher]

Dr. Pierce: What do we have?
Vogel: She was zhot by a balliztic veapon, short range. We ztopped ze bleed...
Dr. Pierce: Very well. We will make sure that this pretty face smiles again. You did good! [to MacIntyre] Let’s go. OR!

[10:45 GMT;  LIVE from Somalia]

Anchor: We are interrupting our regular programme with breaking news from Somalia, where what appears to be an alien craft has crash landed after it was apparently intercepted by unknown Earth forces. Our corespondent Clark Kent is currently at the site. Clark?

Reporter: Hello, Lois! I am some 15 km north of Mogadishu, where an alien space craft has crash landed after being shot down this morning just before 6 AM local time by an un-indentified fighter aircraft. A local militia, some 3 or 4 armed locals, is guarding the site, and there are some bystanders around. Me and my cameraman are on a lookout in a barn not 300 meters from the crashed alien space craft.

Anchor: Dear me… I hope you two are safe, Clark! Tell us, what do you see?

Reporter: We have been on the site for about 15 minutes now and we have not seen any alien creatures yet. The alien craft seems badly damaged from the crash landing, it must have been pretty severe.
image.jpeg.1b1efa7a124c1c58aec02f13b7320dd6.jpeg
The terrain where the craft landed is all cratered abd there is thick smoke… OH!

Anchor: What is it? Clark?

Reporter: (Jimmy, get a close up of the UFO!!) Ahem...  Lois, looks like something is moving at the hatch of the alien… Is that an alien?! It looks very human-like! A bit skinny, with long limbs and… large head. OH! Another one is emerging!

image.jpeg.8591e87321cf4da0b31940ddf9716b09.jpeg
This must be first time these creatures are caught on camera and aired live!

Anchor: It certainly is! What are they doing?

Reporter: They must have been unconscious until now from the impact. They have now awaken and are going to… What is that noise?

[a noise of a helicopter is becoming more and more apparent]

Jimmy, get the helicopter!

image.jpeg.4c02ec6323b7ade8004a2d1008233679.jpeg

Lois, it seems some kind of military presence is being established. A helicopter with no visible markings has just arrived on the scene. It is descending… (Jim, get me with the helicopter in the background) Ahem… It is descending just behind me on the lawn. Lets see what happens next!
image.jpeg.827e5e8fb95c0c9e611f0d4b2f80cb12.jpeg  image.jpeg.d382cb9a477c1ad4445938ddf3a926c3.jpeg

Some soldiers have emerged from it and… OH MY GOD!, Jimmy, down!
Anchor: Clark!? What is going on?!?

Clark?!

Reporter: There seems to be some fire exchange between the just arrived soldiers and an alien somewhere below us. Jimmy, point the camera! There!
image.jpeg.971e9c85d680fb994a48ebdaa38caa87.jpeg  image.jpeg.c224b4f6f459f169a9209ade46472148.jpeg

An alien has just charged one of the soldiers! He is returning fire! He has overcome the alien! But he seems wounded too. We may have just witnessed an alien weapon in action for the first time, Lois!

There is more action on the far side. OH! There has been a loud explosion behind that wall. And another! They seem to be engaging with the aliens!

Another has just charged at the two soldiers…!

image.jpeg.146bc3b0af783039e988fb099bbf54e5.jpeg  image.jpeg.4b4eae2c172b860e41cb8d01f3f185fc.jpeg

These are incredible scenes, Lois! I have never thought I would see this again. Errr...I mean… in person.

Anchor: Clark, do you have any idea what organization the soldiers may be from?

Reporter: The helicopter is not marked in any way except… I see a small X painted on the side. I am not aware of any military organization with such a sign. When the fighting is over, we will try to gain some information from these men.

But let’s not forget there is still action going on around us! The soldiers have pinned another alien in the corner and are giving it a treatment with grenades and gunfire.

image.jpeg.fa3c748a4753842ffee6e9ae19251309.jpeg
And it is down!

Now that the immediate surroundings are clear from alien menace, the soldiers have started advancing towards the alien craft. A large fire has erupted in the field between our location and the UFO so we cannot see clearly what is happening over there, but it seems the soldiers are gathering around… OH MY!

Two more aliens have dashed out of the UFO hatch and have shot one of the brave Earth defenders. He now lies lifeless on the ground as his colleagues have made short work of the two enemies! This is a gruelsome scene...

image.jpeg.20b86015eb1fe7fa6be5a5ac161c6445.jpeg  image.jpeg.9021a703e8998e50851252f84b033999.jpeg

Anchor: Clark, are the Earth forces winning this engagement?

Reporter: It seems so, Lois! However, there is still action going on we can’t see because of thick smoke now coming from the field fire below. We will move a bit closer.

Anchor: We are witnessing the final encounter between an unknown Earth and... unknown alien force. They tell me our reporter is ready. Clark?

Reporter: Lois, I believe they have now entered the alien craft. There are some shots fired and… Looks like it is over! The soldiers are now emerging from the alien craft... and the soldier lying on the ground was revived. Looks like he was only stunned by the alien weapon.

Lois, we are now going closer and see if we can have a word with them! 

Anchor: We have just witnessed a deadly encounter between surviving aliens emerging from a crashed UFO and until now unknown Earth force which arrived by a helicopter some 10 minutes ago. The soldiers disembarked and immediately engaged the aliens, killing several of them. Our terrain reporter Clark Kent and his cameraman Jimmy Olsen will now try to get a statement from the soldiers. Back to you, Clark!

Reporter: We are back at the scene of the deadly encounter and are going towards the UFO where the aliens made their last stand… HELLO!

Sir, I am Clark Kent, a TV correspondent for Daily planet news channel. Would you be willing to give a statement about what just happened? Who are you?

Soldier:  Sorry, I cannot say anything.

Reporter: (Jimmy, you rolling?) Sir! Our audience in the United States is dying to know who are the heroes that saved the world from alien…
Soldier: Save the world? What are you talking about!? This was just a small…
Soldier 2: Thothkins! Halt die Klappe! No more talking!!

Reporter: Sir! Would you like to tell us what happened here?! Who do you represent?

Soldier 2: We did our job, now we leave. That is all. Now I ask you to move away from ze UFO. It is still dangerous to be around. There could be an explozive device in the craft itzelf.
(Novotny, Shoebel! Don’t let anyone cloze (especially this one...) Ze rest - grab and bag everything!
Thothkins, you OK?)

Reporter: Looks like we are not going to learn much from our mysterious guests. I will see if I can get some more information from the local militia. Lois? (Jimmy, did you get everything?)

image.jpeg.45aed9e192db70e8e13e6c84f8b36a11.jpeg

Anchor: Thank you! This was Clark Kent reporting live from Somalia. We will be returning shortly with more detail about the UFO and the force that had stormed it. See you again after commercials!

Welcome back! This is the one where we fail but then we succeed. I present...

CHAPTER 15 – THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM

Fast forward…

[Horatio Gisbergh’s diary]

October 4th

After QRF team returned from their third mission in last 16 hours, they could finally take the well-deserved rest. I am surprised they are still standing - the base personnel are dragging around like dead horses... There is however a sense of accomplishment in the air. Even Voroshilov, who is usually barking on everyone, was in a good mood. The base, apart from essential personnel, was given order to rest.

Two departments are working with full steam regardless: Research and Engineering seem to have embarked on a silent rivalry. Dreyfuss and his scientists are analysing and studying the alien equipment day and night to get some insight into their technology, while Kaganov is trying to build as many of new weapons and disassemble as many alien weapons and UFOs as possible with his small team. There is constant banging and grinding noise coming from the workshop. How are we supposed to rest with this noise?

October 5th

No alien activity today, everything was silent. After 3 or 4 days of constant alerts this respite allows us to regain our strength. I have visited Medical and spoke to all three wounded, all are on a good path to recovery. They can’t say enough praise for their Jackal suit armour and although they have been badly wounded, they seem quite optimistic.

A newly refurbished Foxtrot has been rolled out. We now possess 3 such machines that, together with 7 or 8 F-17 fighters, represent a significant step up in our air defence capabilities. The pilots are absolutely enthusiastic about the Foxtrot… (to tell the truth, it’s mostly Shvetsov)

Many questions about alien intentions remain unanswered.

October 6th

In early morning 10 scientists have arrived at X-SEAC, which became our second research center. I think they will have it much easier than their colleagues here with Dreyfuss. That guy is so full of himself. I must admit though… he is, apparently, also a genius. He and his team made a breakthrough in laser weaponry in mere 2 days and have already developed a first prototype of a laser rifle. Engineering seems to be lagging behind but today they took over a new workshop and I’ve seen Horachkova sending some 20 recruitment letters for additional engineers. The rivalry continues...

Just before 9 AM the aliens renewed their activities – they sent a lone scout over Africa that was promptly removed from the air by a pair of Foxtrots from X-NACOM and stormed by our ground squad. They returned unscathed and their morale is high.

image.jpeg.7e9a88b6bd1ceedd75d7ce789548536e.jpeg

Not long after their return a second UFO was detected over Colombia and when the X-NORAM flight was near, a third UFO descended and bounced them.

They say it was the same craft that caused such calamity on September 1st. Harley in the faster Foxtrot escaped but Pfaffenbach was shot down. He didn’t eject… Harley then went solo for the scout, but it put a stiff resistance and he had to disengage with his plane barely still holding in the air. This gave us all a cold shower... If the Foxtrot can’t reliably shoot down these little scouts, what is going to happen if the aliens send something bigger? Finally, a trio of F-17 dispatched the fast UFO (fighter?) and restored some hope, but the little scout evaded subsequent intercept attempts and vanished south.

I wonder what next days will bring…

October 7th

There were numerous reports of alien activity around South America overnight - must’ve been the scout UFO that evaded interception yesterday. Nothing we could do... our X-NORAM stationed F-17s are out of range and the Foxtrot is not flyable. They say it will be in repairs for 2 or 3 days.

Another UFO descended over Central America in early morning. Two Foxtrots were sent to intercept, but the aliens evaded long enough that our fighters had to turn back for lack of fuel just as they had a chance to bring it down.

Research has made blueprints and a prototype of laser pistol. Engineering has put new laser weaponry in production immediately.

image.jpeg.8513329b456b3241b7b1029ebfcff6e5.jpeg

In a couple of days our grunts will have far superior weapons to fight the aliens on the ground and there is much optimism among the brass. There was also talk of vivisecting live aliens for some sort of fibres, but I might’ve heard that wrong??

My Sharona left the top spot of the Billboard’s yesterday. Must get it on tape!

October 8th

Another calm day with no alien presence detected or reported. Two hangars have been completed at our South American base and 2 F-17s were ferried in. We are now ready for them.

But...I have a feeling something is brewing. The aliens have changed their behaviour. They were coming in waves of 2 or 3, descending all in short timeframe on various parts of the globe. This has changed in the last days. Apart from that fighter on the 6th, they were sending lone scouts. As if they are preparing something too...

October 9th

The people are getting restless, there has been a fight between two grunts (Thothkins and Brooks?) Something about grenades... It took Voroshilov to get them apart. Luckily, they’ve only inflicted some bruises on each other. In the end, all grunts were driven off to boot camp by MacGuinness. He gave them a drill on grenades apparently, I heard many explosions afterwards.

20 engineers arrived today, bolstering the understaffed Engineering. Kaganov finally seems to be in a better mood, but I’ve seen Dreyfuss sulking instead. Those two are like cat and mouse.

Research brought up a very important topic today. Dreyfuss is again insisting to capture as many aliens as possible alive for interrogation. They’ve got some insight into the ranks of skinnies and lizards, and now they want more prisoners to help with alien technology that we can’t seem to grasp without some insider guidance.

image.jpeg.e169e27f282dd47f47f39a3caec59bde.jpeg  image.jpeg.e07cddc481390fe4eea9274154174414.jpeg

I hear they squeezed some info out of a skinny technician that was captured some time ago and started working on alien power sources and alien alloy fabrication. That would give us a much-needed tech leap... Let’s hope they are successful.

image.jpeg.b3039443e83851f28bf2d3820062f421.jpeg

October 10th 1979

[23:25 GMT; Engineering report by A. Kaganov to C-in-C]

Comrade! We finish many terminovyy urgent project today. Tank for Voroshilov finish, but equip with old pulemet machine gun. Laser for tank ready tomorrow. We build 1 shooter rifle. For shooter, 10x magnificator. I test it, is good! Order for all laser rifle and pistolety we finish tomorrow and one more gatling + minigun laser. Must make some test, we give all produced weapons to QRF tomorrow. Alien small ufo we break apart, now we have part for more foxtrot and we start building. Ready for 2 day.

image.jpeg.4c2316a1bae93247d6355cb24b873220.jpeg  image.jpeg.583c9da9a965dd32a79287be09881ec1.jpeg  image.jpeg.2acc4059b1d54534c32779d72062c164.jpeg  image.jpeg.3d0f9227ffed24f7cf0750d041453252.jpeg

Kaganov

October 11th 1979

[14:55 GMT; Hangar 4]

[soldiers are gathered in QRF hangar for daily briefing; Corelli and Kaganov come in, with Kaganov’s apprentice pushing a heavily loaded cart behind them]

MacGuiness: SQUAD! ATTENTION!

Corelli: Amici! Easy... Toda-y you will giv-e new weapon-s to fight the alien-s.
[excitement in squad]
Thompson: Yeee!!! Show us!

Corelli: Ingegnere... prego!
[Kaganov pulls off the tarpaulin]
Look wha-t he brin-g to you! Non sono bellisime?!

image.jpeg.dfd04b3b2c62d5a46e4904d5e4ff046a.jpeg

Thompson: This one’s for me [wants to pick up the precision sniper]

MacGuiness: HANDS OFF! No touching yet!

Thompson: How we supposed to get familiar with them? Lookin’ at...
Corelli: Andy already tes-t all, he know how to us-e. He demonstrat-e you ou-t on target.

Kaganov: I demonstate now!
[grabs the smallest piece and aims for a steel beam lying in the corner; no bang, just a short flash on the beam, barely visible...]
There. Have look...

Thompson: What, no bang? How anybody know we shootin’??!

Novotny [steps to the beam, inspects it]: I see nothing on the beam... It did nothing...

Kaganov:  They know if you hit. Look more.

[squad gathers around the beam, inspecting it]

Nothing...
I don’t see s***!!

OUCH! IT’S HOT!! What…?!

These lasers are cra...
MacGuiness: You might want to pick up the beam and look towards the light...

Vogel: You heard ze Barrack master! Pick it up!

Nothing...

Why iz it zo hot?!

Holy...
I see!

Mee too!

It went straight through!! Where did it hit?!

[they drop the beam on the ground and start looking for an impact where the beam was lying when hit]

Kaganov: You not find much. It is energy, no ballistic trace. But look here...
[pulls a device from his pocket and points at the ground] This show temperature. See? There...

Vogel: Aso... It burns ze target inzide out...
Kaganov: Duzhe dobre... [hands the laser pistol to Vogel]

Corelli: Allora... Andy, take me-n out for some target shoo-t!

MacGuiness: Aye, chief! SQUAD! Single file! Grab a weapon appropriate to your role! Or your ego.

To the shooting range! GO! GO! GO!!

Corelli, to Kaganov: Come i bambini... Like childre-n with new to-y...

October 12th 1979

[08:03 GMT; Officer's mess]

Reynalds: I’ve sent the new Foxtrot to X-NORAM. Gene, I’m pretty confident the air detachment can now shoot down anything the eee-tee sends down.

image.jpeg.c7dc89f698b29b443dcc52f2edc4cb7f.jpeg

Voroshilov: You again brag like covboy. You forget what they make to your piloty on the first september?
Reynalds: Hardly. But that was a month ago. Now we have Foxtrots and our aviators have gained invaluable experience. We have a positive kill ratio and I can’t see how we couldn’t maintain it...

Voroshilov [turns to C-in-C]: I want to suggest anyway. When we shoot down next UFO, we send a tank with QRF. We have Defender now, Kaganov make a laser cannon for it. I want to use it in battle!

image.jpeg.441aee0771e4a072b08122454a436948.jpeg

Rhys-Martins: Very well! Luciano, make sure the tank is on the helicopter when QRF is sent out next time!

[14:43 GMT; Command room]

De Gini: Sir! I am picking up a small signal over Netherlands. Looks like a scout! It is travelling east at 1400km/h.

image.jpeg.f3abd75f2e045516d0ba7351bb088eca.jpeg

Reynalds: Launch two Foxtrots immediately!

INSERT PIC OF LAUNCH

[16:50GMT]

Reynalds: Where are our interceptors?

de Gini: They are approaching UFO-21, Sir. ETA 10 to 15 minutes. What...is that!?
SIR!!! LOOK AT THIS!!
image.jpeg.d21d1c0e4c5fad7e4e770d955d1ce473.jpeg

Reynalds: What..?! Oh my... What is THAT!??
It’s huge!

SOUND ALARM! ALL PERSONNEL TO STATIONS!

Voroshilov comes in: What is it?!
Reynalds: Something massive just descended down over northern Russia!
de Gini: It seems to be escorted too! By two smaller craft! They are travelling west at 1300km/h.

Voroshilov [points at UFO-21]: What about that?

Reynalds:  We are intercepting it...
Voroshilov: That?! You have a huge one here and you go for... that?!
Reynalds: I was just about to give the appropriate mission correction when you arrived and started nagging!

Voroshilov: Harasho... Correct mission then! Or should I do it for you?!
Reynalds: Thank you, I think I will manage. [to de Gini] Change mission objective for Fox. Intercept UFO-22 and its escorts! And scramble a Foxtrot from X-SEAC ASAP! Callsign Beaver.

[17:57 GMT]
image.jpeg.edd2ff10862dd2d7cde9eadee1b9f4d4.jpeg  UFO-22 is now above Kola peninsula. Fox are getting closer!

image.jpeg.c95013c4e88fe10f2ac2ef1cbf34c621.jpeg  Mierda! Sir, we just lost our radar picture! Again...

[18:22 GMT / 19:20 local time; above Kola peninsula]

Fox: Nest, this is Fox. We have visual! It’s huge! Do we engage?

Nest: You are on your own. Our radars are still down... [sorry, no screen grabs during the fight... radars were down, what can I do??!]

Fox: Understood. Fox-2, we engage!
Good luck, Anatoly Arkadyevich.

[18:24 GMT; Command room]

De Gini: Fox, respond!

Fox, come in!
Nothing, sir...

We have radar picture again!

image.jpeg.31f83180281b42f1517606a93b8cf63b.jpeg

The enemy... are all still there. I do not see our planes.

They were shot down, sir...

Reynalds: How are we supposed to fight... that?!

Voroshilov: They not have any chance.
PR*%$$#@&! This alien... $###!!!!

Rhys-Martins: This is a terrible blow to our endeavours...
Reynalds: Any signs of their emergency transponders?

Gisbergh: No, Sir... They are both silent.

Reynalds: I sent them to their graves...

Rhys-Martins: Enough of this nonsense! They are soldiers, aviators of X-Division. They did their duty, and so did you! [turns to face all personnel in Command room, shaken by the event]: As did every one of you! We have all been reminded again that the alien force is not to be taken easily. Today they stopped fooling around and sent this behemoth to teach us a lesson! However, we shall not succumb so easily! We are, unlike one month ago, still in this fight! Now carry on!

[turns back to the officers] What is our next course of action?

Voroshilov: We wait… And keep all eye on this... babushka. I think it land soon than later. This is transport with 2 escort fighter…

Reynalds: I think you’re right. Would it..
Voroshilov: We see what they do. We send QRF out, they must be close when they land. Corelli!

Corelli: Si! I go brief my team. [leaves]

October 13th 1979

[06:34 GMT; Command room]

Gisbergh: Sir! QRF reports they have secured the terror site!

[happy cheers in the Command room]

Rhys-Martins: Very well! Good show, everyone! We have re-asserted to the aliens we are to be reckoned with. They will not be allowed to terrorise the people on the ground!

Gisbergh: Commander, another message just came in. For you:

image.jpeg.9e0a030fd665512842bb8d7ba61fa974.jpeg

Rhys-Martins: Very well, we finally made an impression. Now let’s see how this reflects on our purse!

[07:06 GMT]

De Gini: X-NORAM radar has detected alien craft at the edge of radar coverage. UFO-23... heading north-west at 2000km/h!

image.jpeg.27565d4ed1d1552383d3587e21eeee99.jpeg  Do we intercept?

Reynalds: Scramble a Foxtrot and one F-17 from X-NORAM. It is going north, they will have the range...

[07:34 GMT]

De Gini: Sir, UFO-23 has changed course! Now heading south-east!

Reynalds: Damn! They must’ve spotted us...
Scramble X-SAMC fighters ASAP! They will crash into them.

Oh, and recall Bluebird!

[15:00 GMT; QRF operation report by Kurt Vogel]

Operation Container, October 12-13 1979

QRF was sent out on 10/12 1900 towards Kiev to be in close vicinity of an expected UFO landing. UFO landed at Murmansk 10/13 0404 and we immediately set course to engage.

QRF deployed at 0634. A small perimeter was established around LZ and we immediately engaged the enemy. Many civilians ran out of their hiding places as they saw us arrive and many were killed by aliens.

image.jpeg.bf01c839ca0fcc201015c1f1dddc8cd8.jpeg

Defender tank  proved an extremely valuable asset right from the beginning, suppressing and killing several aliens. It proved decisive when dealing with large hovering drones we encountered for the first time. Its laser weapon was not very effective, but it provided a steady barage and eventually overcame both drones. The tank also served as mobile cover when moving in open terrain.

image.jpeg.6b57295ceaa44575f0496fcdca3236c6.jpeg  image.jpeg.bab28fc81609c5302e2443c65a097a93.jpeg

Some of us experienced mind attacks, causing quite some panic in the team, however we prevailed.
image.jpeg.74e6eb26d7b4d9c21ebf79839af09ee0.jpeg

QRF neutralized 12 aliens and captured 8 live caesans for interrogation, among them a caesan chieftain and a terror ship operator. Local force did an excellent job, by the time we arrived they already neutralized many aliens. Some of the local population were saved.

image.jpeg.fd03aa9b2beb6d761a159a7f07de4ebf.jpeg

Apart from the hovering drones we also encountered some small scorpion-like ground creatures. These were not a serious threat, they seemed to disintegrate on their own, spraying some acid around. We also encountered aliens similar to xenomorphs but significantly taller, standing on the back legs. When killed, they explode and spray acid. We’ve encountered one of those before and since no other name was applied to it, we still know it as xenomorph - like the one on 4 legs.

QRF has 4 wounded: I suffered light burns when flaming two xenomorphs at extremely close range, and was later also hit by an unknown enemy from long range (probably it was a drone; Defender helped neutralize it later); Degli Esposti was badly sprayed with acid when one of the tall xenomorphs was neutralized near him; Bergman and Novotny were scathed by alien tazors.

We returned to X-NACOM at 13:06 hours; Operation was a success!

Lt. Kurt Vogel, team chief Operation Fire Brigade

[22:45 GMT; Daily operational report by Voroshilov]

….

7:54 UFO-23 shoot down in Brazil, both our fighter have damage. QRF still return from Murmansk, so we ask Brazilian AF to bomb. Later they report no survivor.

9:29 UFO-21 detected again over Nova Scotia (it lost contact yesterday, after 2 Foxtrot interceptor shoot down); X-NORAM interceptors sent for intercept, but UFO run south. At 12:36 X-SAMC interceptors scramble but at 12:54 UFO escape to space. We too slow. Again!

20:40 Akamatsu and Shvetsov are found from Soviet ground troop yesterday. KGB think they some spy...They keep them in prison for 1 day. They release when we sent question about 2 our pilot and situation is explain.

Yevgeniy Klimentovich Voroshilov

Hello, dear readers! Unfortunately, I bring bad news today… This AAR is not going to progress any further. Reason: corrupt ironman save.

Yesterday in a ground mission the game froze during an alien turn. I left it for about 5 minutes to see if anything would happen but sadly… it didn’t, so I had to… you know. After that reloading the saved game it would just CTD every time.

If anybody knows of a way to somehow restore a save to a working state, please help. If not… well, it’s been fun while it lasted. At least for me. I hope some of you that viewed these walls of text had some enjoyment out of it too.

If anybody would like to comment on something, feel free to do so…

Regards, Tinman

• Sad 1