Weather conditions in ground combat?

I'm wondering if there can sometimes be some kind of weather condition(like rain or snow) that can occur in ground combat that can shake up the maps visually and somewhat mechanically even if the player gets the same map. 

Perhaps the line of sight can decreased by a couple of tiles and hit rate can be decreased by 1% per tile. I also believe that there was a xenopedia entry for X1 that mentioned energy weapons being less effective due to weather conditions (the mag weapon one I think). This could perhaps be implemented in-game with energy weapons' attack power being reduced by 5-10%. I think weather conditions should be shown on the mission details screen and occur on around 20% of missions. 

I would not mind if the effect was enabled map wide even if soldiers are currently inside. It would be an ok price to pay if something don't make total sensefor the sake of more map diversity. I don't think story missions have to be affected by this either.

• Like 2

If their were weather conditions that decreased performance of your troops, then maybe their could be some devices that could enhance or decrease those effects. This would add a new tech level to the game, and also add a lit bit more complexity to the game. 

• Like 1

Yeah, an Weather-System was planed in the Crowfounding, but not reached with the Crowfounding.

I personaly hope that System will come in too to have more Deversity in Airfights, Ground-Maps and Geoscape. And with Hooded Horse as Publisher I think some more Bucks come in to implement that earlyer or later.

• Like 1

Instead of an orbital laser, it is possible to introduce an alien climate weapon.

After activating the aliens' climate weapons, - the weather on the planet begins to deteriorate. Weather conditions are starting to give a penalty to your soldiers and your fighter planes. However, they begin to give a bonus for aliens.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 3/19/2023 at 12:14 PM, Komandos said:

Instead of an orbital laser, it is possible to introduce an alien climate weapon.

After activating the aliens' climate weapons, - the weather on the planet begins to deteriorate. Weather conditions are starting to give a penalty to your soldiers and your fighter planes. However, they begin to give a bonus for aliens.

For some reason, I missed this post for months. I think this post is kind of genius. It would make sense for the aliens to try and terraform the Earth if they wish to conquer it, and they could do that via the climate weapon you just described. This would also somewhat fix the way that the orbital laser is implemented now, which is by causing continuous panic after a certain date of the campaign and forcing the player to do operation endgame or risk a game over. By replacing the lasers with a climate weapon, it would instead cause missions to become more and more difficult everytime and would make the player complete operation endgame out of the realization that they are struggling more and more to win battles and will have to complete operation endgame quickly or risk casualties and losses. This shifts from a hard doom timer that forces the player to do operation endgame or risk a guaranteed game over to having the player learn the alien's superiority and eventual victory from experience rather than from an arbitrary doom timer. 

Although, this idea might have some balancing issues that might be somewhat difficult to address, but I feel it is definitely worth exploring. 

• Like 1

I think it'd be difficult to do visually tbh. It's pretty difficult to do something as simple as rain without having to redo textures on literally everything to make it all look wet. On specific biomes there are weather conditions you could do with a filter over the camera, like a snowstorm on Polar maps or a sandstorm on Desert maps, but it wouldn't work on most biomes so I think it'd end up being super-niche.

On 6/11/2023 at 12:39 PM, Chris said:

I think it'd be difficult to do visually tbh. It's pretty difficult to do something as simple as rain without having to redo textures on literally everything to make it all look wet. On specific biomes there are weather conditions you could do with a filter over the camera, like a snowstorm on Polar maps or a sandstorm on Desert maps, but it wouldn't work on most biomes so I think it'd end up being super-niche.

The composition of the atmosphere (oxygen, carbon dioxide) is not visually visible (a small adjustment of the color scheme is enough), but (for example) the lack of oxygen in the atmosphere will greatly affect the endurance of the player's soldiers in battle and the efficiency of the player's jet engines. (Aircraft speed). Low speed of armored vehicles.

Cities can also be destroyed by volcanoes and earthquakes that have arisen.

Instead of the panic level, you can put an oxygen indicator in the atmosphere. The lower the oxygen concentration in the atmosphere, the more Earthlings panic. (stres).

Edited by Komandos

Komandos, with the Suggestion you have we need 2 Settings:

1. The existing Panic Level

2. The Orbital-Oxygen-Indicator (like the hardcoded Nebula in Phoenix-Point / Terraforming in the old UFO-After-Series)

But yeah, that´s an interresting Idea and will give the Game more fire. All Reactions from the Aliens will get React-Reactions (in that Case Gas-Masks, until the cloesed Suits come and Aircraft-Upgrades will Undercut that).

For the normal Humanity, which don´t have such an Re-Reaction the Panic Raises Step by Step, until you get an Solution for that too (small Outposts with an Re-Reaction to buy humanity more time like in Phoenix-Point).

Edited by Alienkiller

1 hour ago, Alienkiller said:

Komandos, with the Suggestion you have we need 2 Settings:

1. The existing Panic Level

2. The Orbital-Oxygen-Indicator (like the hardcoded Nebula in Phoenix-Point / Terraforming in the old UFO-After-Series)

The level of panic is the percentage of people who believe in victory over the enemy. When there are more than 51% of them (60? 70?), the power in the region changes.

Some soldiers, scientists and engineers quit their jobs. (Low level of bravery.)

The indicator of the composition of the atmosphere turns on at the moment when the aliens begin to change the atmosphere. Let's say this is due to the appearance of certain types of UFOs. The longer they are in flight (UFOs), the stronger their contribution to the change in the composition of the atmosphere.

The low oxygen content in the atmosphere gradually reduces the speed of soldiers in battle, the speed of diesel vehicles, the speed of jet fighters. The rate of individual reaction decreases. The fighters are inattentive, absent-minded. The panic on the planet is increasing (fewer and fewer people continue to believe in victory).

Komanods, that would need an big Refit of the Geoscape to all already testet Contents / Features (which will come back during the remaining Betas and the upcomming Early Access) with minimum 1 or 2 Years for an complete Refit.

If such Ideas were come in the last 3 Years, we could have integrated and test it. But so shortly before Early Access, no way.

Edited by Alienkiller

Yeah Komandos about several Difficultys Chris have announced (the Graphic-Engine have to assist such an Refit in all Maps, the Geoscape and so on and if it works the Geoscape have to be complete Refited as well as all Ground Maps). And then it have to be tested internaly and with the Main-Beta-Testers to look that it works correctly.

Summa Summarum minimum 2 Years (like you could see in the Development to the yet working Status of all Groundmaps and the Geoscape).

Edited by Alienkiller