Build V16.5 Testing!

Farm maps still crash with 16.5, many civilians are still invisible (although some of them show up when running, just not when stopped), and there is still a Middle East map where the terrain will not permit a Hunter to exit the Chinook. There are also issues with walls not being solid in some of the army base maps, and with rocks not being solid in some of the mesa maps--not sure what they're officially called.

So far I have been on 5 missions with farm maps. No crashes. but since farmer with shotgun still invisible cant tell if he has tried vaulting.

Update. on 6th Farm map mission. Crash to desktop as someone invisible was moving. (had just gone into shadow so cannot tell if the inv person would have been vaulting.

Edited by Danxeno

Is the invisi-civvies vault crash caused by the map specifically, or the game making a call for a non-existent asset? I feel like if that could be pinned down, then at least a temporary work-around could be found to afford those of us who've never been able to play for more than 15-20 minutes without a crash a better chance at a prolonged game. But then again, I could just be way off the mark because I haven't a single effin' clue what I'm talking about.

While I haven't installed the 16.5 patch (sorry), since the devs are focused on the hidden movement CTD, (and primarily focused on the farm map) I just thought I'd pipe in here that with version 16.1, I finally got a terror mission that I could reach (Mexico City, I believe), and on the third or fourth turn got a CTD during the Hidden Movement phase.

I haven't tried replaying the mission yet to see if the crash happens every time or not.

Apologies if this seems too off-topic - wasn't sure if it would help or not.

I can confirm Gribbstar's report, I've had exactly no ground combat-based ctds since i turned the farms into abandoned farms. I did get the can't hire soldiers bug eventually, though.
I wonder if it's how the AI handles civilians that is the problem (not their missing sprites)? It's the only other thing that received major changes from v15 to v16.

Is the invisi-civvies vault crash caused by the map specifically, or the game making a call for a non-existent asset? I feel like if that could be pinned down, then at least a temporary work-around could be found to afford those of us who've never been able to play for more than 15-20 minutes without a crash a better chance at a prolonged game. But then again, I could just be way off the mark because I haven't a single effin' clue what I'm talking about.

Rock on Rikaze, it all sounded like you had an idea to me but I also dont have a clue...

There is already a workaround that essentially removes any non-player, non-alien enitities from the farm maps. People are reporting zero crashes with that fix so it has to be related to those.

Can you (or somebody) please link to this workaround? I have taken to regarding farmers as the deadliest foes of all--aliens will merely exterminate all humans, but farmers and their fences have the unique capability to erase the entire UNIVERSE and force the creation of a parallel one. As such--playing on Ironman--the essential tactics of "covering fire, move carefully by squad, search the map" have turned into "flee the Chinook as fast as you can run, if you see a farmer TAKE THE SHOT before they can eradicate your very existance!"

While it's funny as hell to contemplate the ground level ramifications of CTDs, it makes for slightly frustrating gaming.

After a clean install of V16.1.2 and applying the patch V16.5, I got a CTD on my 1st mission in the farm map when my vehicle was destroyed by an alien. It seems a little weird because the CTDs devs are working on is based on the hidden movement, and I seem to experience something else...

There is already a workaround that essentially removes any non-player, non-alien enitities from the farm maps. People are reporting zero crashes with that fix so it has to be related to those.
Can you (or somebody) please link to this workaround? <snip>

Go to the "Xenonauts Bug Reports" forum (wherein all bug reports should properly be; not sure why that's changed recently), then to the thread entitled "16.1 - Crash on Farm Map", and skip to the last page.

After the 16.5 patch was applied, the launcher show again 16.1, normal?

That's how I understand it, yes. I think Chris has stated in several places (each of the v16.x threads?) that he has only been repackaging the assets and that the version number won't be updated until he recompiles the executable. That last part won't happen until the farm map bug is squashed and he repackages the patch for non-forumites.

Tried the patch, and I am afraid that it still crashes on the farm map.

The workaround, where you remove all the civilians/friendly AI from "missiontypeprops_gc.xml", did do the trick. But thats a case of removing the problem causer completely, rather then fixing whats wrong. :)

Also, there is still invisible civilians on all the maps.

As far as I can remember it seams to happen just as a invisible civilian is about to vault over a fence.

Can't say for sure if that's whats causing it though, it just seams likely.

Oh, and the crashes seam to be less frequent then before the 16.5 patch.

I can't really say anything for sure here ether though.