Why is development so slow?

I must say development of this game has been incredibly slow and from feedback on the forums, improvements are made in tiny baby steps when there are miles to go. So I'm curious what your over/under bets are for if/when this game will finally be released.

We really need a true XCOM game soon (XEU was somewhat fun the first time through but meh, no more for me). Actually, UFO Extraterrestrials Gold is getting me by during the wait.

hahaha what a misleading title and kind of whiny post. :P

way to bring down the party Mr Buzz Killington.

Ya I guess I could join the fanboys and keep saying the game is "almost done" and is ready "soon." The phrase is misguided optimism when the last news was in August. So even though I might sound sarcastic, my date might be more realistic than you want to believe.

You're not impressing anyone.

The last news was just a few days ago - the latest alpha.

Yes, the game is coming out next year, we all know it. There's no need to be rectal about it. DNF got delayed by 10 years... bad example. But only a few of the biggest developers, and I don't mean the relatively small-time Firaxis, and not even id Software is among those few, consistently meet their projections. Those who do, achieve it by setting their goals realistic, like 5 years per game.

Last news? you mean last news posted on the site right? as Chris has posted rather frequently in in the announcement part of the forum.

You are seriously hung up on the release date and need to lose n up a bit. You don't need to be saying that it will be done "soon" ( you fail to realize that the argument you had with that guy is about relativity, and he said close as in no longer at the very start of development) but what is the point of whining about slow development when Chris is as open and frequent with his updates as he is?

If all you can do is count the days until the game gets released I would suggest that you go play some other game that interest you instead of trying to get a rise out of people on this forum.

Edited by Gorlom

I must say development of this game has been incredibly slow and from feedback on the forums, improvements are made in tiny baby steps when there are miles to go. So I'm curious what your over/under bets are for if/when this game will finally be released.

We really need a true XCOM game soon (XEU was somewhat fun the first time through but meh, no more for me). Actually, UFO Extraterrestrials Gold is getting me by during the wait.

Why do we need a true X-Com game soon? It would be nice to have a finished game soon, but I don;t see anyone being held hostage over it so that it has. It'll be finished when it's done. Are so saying that you would prefer corners to be cut just to release it early? Betting on it seems not only pointless, but a way of adding unwanted pressure on the devs.

I'll need to dig out UFO Extraterrestrials again. I keep mentioning how much I enjoyed it, but it's been a while.

toggerwof, perhaps development isn't going as quickly for you as you want it to, but if it was moving at the speed you prefer, Goldhawk would have to be mental crazy to release this side of christmas, what with all the big company titles now jostling for position. Even with XCOM:EU raising visibilty, X-Comish games aren't exactly the no. 1 on everyone's christmas list. Goldhawk would definatly be better advised to release next year.

Wow, thanks. Now you've posted this, I've realised I've been doing things fundamentally wrong this entire time and I'll immediately update our company aims of of "deliberately developing Xenonauts extremely slowly" to "developing Xenonauts quickly".

I've had the coders run the calcs and they now think the game will now be finished within the week! Party hats all round!

Incidentally, the most up-to-date information of what's going on with development is on our Announcements sub-forum, because I'm often too busy with development to release much in the way of PR updates on the main site or Desura / Facebook / Kickstarter.

Wow, thanks. Now you've posted this, I've realised I've been doing things fundamentally wrong this entire time and I'll immediately update our company aims of of "deliberately developing Xenonauts extremely slowly" to "developing Xenonauts quickly".

I've had the coders run the calcs and they now think the game will now be finished within the week! Party hats all round!

yeah, we've just been sitting here all these months trying to find a way to tell you, Chris. thanks to Tiggerwof for stepping forward for us :)

Now, about adding in real time...

I do think more regular updates on the main site would be helpful. I know writing stuff like that is a pain in the arse when you are very busy, but the last update was over two months ago (a news piece talking about a Beta release which never happened) and it probably doesn't give a good image of the games progression.

Yes the hardcore XCOM nuts will visit the forum to check for more recent updates and information, but the casual gamer might just look at the main site news and get the impression that development has almost stopped. It could be costing you pre-orders or potential future sales.

Plus your updates on the forum are very well written so you could probably just copy/paste them onto the news page for the most part.

Anyway, just my two cents. I'll go back to anticipating the release of your game. :-)

ForthRight - yup, it's a valid criticism. I've been planning another update for a bit but I'm waiting until V16 is stable (ie. the farm crash bug is fixed) before I do it - it seems a bit wrong to be talking about the future when the game is unplayable as is...

ForthRight - yup, it's a valid criticism. I've been planning another update for a bit but I'm waiting until V16 is stable (ie. the farm crash bug is fixed) before I do it - it seems a bit wrong to be talking about the future when the game is unplayable as is...

I think the people looking at the main site aren't the ones who are going to care if V16 is stable or not - if they were interested in beta testing or playing, they would already be on the forums anyway.

As Forthright points out, the people checking the main site and Desura are the ones who may be vaguely interested in the game but not so much as to get more involved or to be bothered to hunt around. As such, they just need to see signs that things are moving along and the headlines for whats been added to each new build to keep their interest going - at least in my opinion anyway.

That's a good point. There is a lot of abandoned game projects out there. How do people know you aren't one? I think a short "press release" about every next alpha or beta should do that. Even if they're unstable.

Also, what about putting up at least links to the kickstarter demo?

Chris - just tell everyone that it will be released when you think it should be, and not before. You can't win! If you release too early people will say the game is buggy and will be put off anyway. We can all play other games until you are ready to release. Some people don't realise just how complex xenonauts is/is becoming. We should think ourselves lucky we will have it at all!

Chris - just tell everyone that it will be released when you think it should be, and not before. You can't win! If you release too early people will say the game is buggy and will be put off anyway. We can all play other games until you are ready to release. Some people don't realise just how complex xenonauts is/is becoming. We should think ourselves lucky we will have it at all!

hear, hear!

If I was a moderator I would insist that the thread title be changed by the OP to avoid giving out erroneous information! but, hey, that is me.

Wow. Not classy.

Especially considering you've received $100,000 up front.

Wow. Not classy.

why? what is wrong with that post? isn't quick development what you want? :rolleyes:

Especially considering you've received $100,000 up front.

He has also gambled his own life savings on this, and everything from preorders goes back into developing Xenonauts.