Passive psychic abilites.

Now i know that probably all alien enemies that will be in the game is already mapped out and planned.

I have had many years since beloved X-com to think about aliens i my self would like to face in such a game.

Wouldn't it be interesting with something quite unique in the genre.

I am thinking something with the sneaky speed and death contempt of the Chryssalid but with the terrifying psychic abilities of say the Ethereal.

A small, lean, fragile, dwarf sized vessel of flesh with two pitch black eyes like an bottomless abyss if gazed into but most important, a thirsty, devouring radiating mind. A mind that radiates demoralizing or even paralyzing nightmares to the enemies (Civilians, Xenonauts) It could have active abilities also, but i think it would be too powerful and take away its character.

Now what it would try to do, is to sneak up to your troops as close as it can get, and by just being in their proximity it would render soldiers paralyzed, drop equipment or simply panicking them.

It would not carry a gun, and would have no means or even intent of physical aggression other that radiating these horrible nightmares before the eyes of the poor victims. Its body would be a mere carrier of its mind. Living of the imagery it would steal/borrow from its victims heads. Having no intent to kill, since it would deprive it of its entertainment/nutrition. So in effect it would not kill itself.

They could also perhaps be made more interesting also choose a defensive mind attack, if detected. Fooling the senses, eyes and hearing that they aren't there so they could invisibly relocate and try another time. A Xenonaut further away could see it skulk away and finish of the critter with ease.

Now i see them as primarily a terror weapon. Or maybe something larger ships could house one of, searching the ship constantly for intruders or unwelcome guests. Maybe that's one of the reasons Aliens abduct people simply to have a supply of thoughts. Since its thoughts and dreams this vicious little beings mind somehow transforms into proteins for its physical development.

:)

When speaking of unique in the genre ;)

Well you see i didn't exactly envision it running upfront to your super though sniper. Of course it would stay out of the way and prefer the alleyways and rooms of houses. And by using its mind and searching for other minds your beloved marksmen and machingunners could sit on the roof of a house crying their horrified minds out, while he is the floor below them just enjoying the ride of fear, from through the wall.

On a more serious note though. It would be simpler to implement since it wouldn't need renders with any weapons or such. Just movement and death animation.

Well you see i didn't exactly envision it running upfront to your super though sniper. Of course it would stay out of the way and prefer the alleyways and rooms of houses. And by using its mind and searching for other minds your beloved marksmen and machingunners could sit on the roof of a house crying their horrified minds out, while he is the floor below them just enjoying the ride of fear, from through the wall.

It won't get near my marksmen or machinegunners if as you say in your OP, it needs to get somewhat close to use it's psychic abilities. It would get spotted and shot before it had the chance.

The only troops this would affect would be the troopers who are assaulting, and even then, not for long.

To be honest, I also don't see the "fun" element in fighting against them, either by fear or challenge. Seems to me they'd either be really pointless to add in as they'd die far too easy, or they'd be far too good and render most of the squad incapable of doing anything without even having LOS, and therefore would just be an exercise in frustration.

Edited by Buzzles

Now i see them as primarily a terror weapon. Or maybe something larger ships could house one of, searching the ship constantly for intruders or unwelcome guests. Maybe that's one of the reasons Aliens abduct people simply to have a supply of thoughts. Since its thoughts and dreams this vicious little beings mind somehow transforms into proteins for its physical development.

No science, all fiction.

do not want.

No offence thrashman. But that was the shitiest, most uninteresting answer i ever got.

If you don't like it at all just hold your tongue, or maybe you could give some interesting critique instead.

All of this was an idea, especially the "maybe" in the part you choose to pick out.

Damn...

There is a lot of room for passive abilities in these kind of games. This would be just one way to go. Others could be rookie enhancers late game.

Sounds like the opposite of the morale boost Xeno troops get from their higher ranks.

There are already enough ways for your troops to panic so I wouldn't really welcome any more help on that ;)

I would like something like a gloom ability.

It could be active or passive.

Passive would be an aura that carried the fog of war with them.

Active could work like a smoke grenade, preferably one that can be used as reaction fire (it is literally as fast as thought).

It would also be nice if the smoke could pass through walls as it isn't really physical.

Otherwise the active ones planned sound quite nice.

But I can't tell you about them.

Ok that's cool. Because i don't wanna know. ;) But nice to know its in somehow.

I am not sure i understand the "gloom" part of your post Gaudlike. Did you mean like some sort of active cover unit concealing the aliens around it in a mind fog of sorts? In that case i like your thinking. Perhaps difficult to make it look good?

I also thought in the case of my little mind creature it would use others minds as platforms. So maybe its own range would be quite small, say 5 tiles around. But if capturing one soldier this capture would also transfer say five tiles, capturing another and so on.

Making it a lot more deadly if happening to catch several soldiers crammed.

In short making him kinda harmless when around few, and potentially catastrophic when around many. But of course it would be more dangerous for it to close in.

And to balance him, you could have him immobile and "unaware" whilst in active mode. To euphoric to pay attention. So that he would present an easier target.

This is just one creature of many with a different role than killing. Gaudlikes is another, if i understood you correctly. I also thought of some kind of engineer race. Or with engineer abilities. Enhancing efficiency on drones and robotic units, maybe also light repairs.

Simply because its more fun fighting a diverse enemy!

And balance is not fun when completely balanced. If someone might think this sounds too scary or powerful. Find ways to overcome it yourselves. Thats a part of the charm with being the weaker one in a struggle. According to me.

Yes, gloom is nice.

I can see my squad departing the Chinook and securing the area. They slowly advance only for the sun to go out and darkness descend upon the battlefield.

At night, flares may not work anywhere near as well. Possible morale hit form knowing there's a shadowcaster out there?