Nationality flags, more blood/gore...

rp03ev

It would be great if we could get a small specific national flag next to each soldier's nationality. It's a small detail but it would go a long way for me. I been playing the new Xcom:EU a lot recently and just love the national flags next to each solder. Also, an option to turn on/off setting for more blood/gore for the dead soldiers lying in the battlefield would be great as well.

I am guessing the latter could/will be implemented in a mod after the final release?

If you wanted to redo all of the corpse images you could replace the existing ones.

Due to the sprite based nature of the game you would be unlikely to do it without replacing those files with new ones.

A fairly simple mod though if you have a bit of spare time and a working knowledge of photoshop.

It's a bit of a trade off, In Xenonauts, it just tells the country the solider is from, but no flag. In Enemy Unknown, It shows the flag, but doesn't say the country (which for me, gets confusing with a lot of the middle eastern nations because I'm not familiar with them.) So personally, I'm fine with just the country name, no flag required.

Having the flag is a nice visual touch, but it's not exactly top of my list. Devs could possibly leave a space for it, and some one could Mod it later. I'm thinking of the footy management games, where they don;t have player portraits, but put in holder images, so mods can do it post release.

Besides, I'm holding out for a flag unfurling above the corpse of every downed Xenonaut, while all the aliens and soldiers stand to attention as the national anthem is played. :)

I find it slightly immersion breaking. The whole earth is supposed to team up against an interstellar threat but somehow they still focus on something as artificial as national boarders and consider it important to differentiate and promote their own nations symbol?

Meh, I guess it is fine if you guys want to use it. Just don't force me to :(

the idea isn't bad, but this game reflect time of cold war... and all estern europe nations were occupied by soviet regime. i would not like to see that red flag in context of my country! it's personal for all non-russian eastern europeans.

Well, considering the female soldiers, you could tweak immersion a little more and have individual country flags in there.

Alternately, just have the space in the UI for users to mod in the flags they like, which would save dev resources.

Interesting point about the feelings of those in the soviet bloc. Most maps I've seen only had individual flags for the Warsaw pact countries.

Edited by thothkins

it's personal for all non-russian eastern europeans.

Speaking for everyone is good way to make mistake. And it is absolutly nothig personal for me - I would like to play under Soviet flag. Please leave hatred away from this forum - it will not help the progress.

Anyway - set of real flags, plus possibility to choose own custom picture, will fit well in everyones tastes, fears etc. I believe it is a good thing to have flags - in such game like "Worms" all my friends who plays it had a flag they like and prefer to set for their team. They where ready to spend some time choosing it from many other pictures. Same was with choosing anthem for their team, naming worms, and so on. Peoples likes such individual features - it means to them something. And while we, veterans :-), are interested in game mechanics more then in anything else, may be this feature will be a plus for other, new players.

If only developers will decide to put flags in the game I'm ready to send some flags. Just tell the parameters of the picture.

I find that bloody hilarious.

Other suggestions:

Call Mexicans "Americans". Upon complaint, rename them to "Americans (lower state)".

Use a map where Poland is missing. Upon complaint, put it up as a province of Germany.

Put no markings on Taiwan. Upon complaint, make it still part of China, but without any people.

from another thread as an idea of what this may look like

Since names and call signs are getting confusing, here's what I'd quite like.

alt soldier mini.jpg

Click on Soldier Name "Chris England" - changes the name, so you can call people your friends etc.

Click on Soldier Callsign "Le Grand Fromage" - changes what the person's nickname is.

Click on Portrait - Select a portrait of your choice for this soldier from the pool.

Click on Giant "R" - Changes squad role.

Click on Flag - Allows you to select a flag form a Flag folder. Default image here could be a Xenonaut Logo or UN.

Click on Rank - Could allow you to select your own rank image from a Rank folder? Just a thought.

Assignment & Role pull down added just to see what they'd look like there.

In game, could there be a menu option - Soldier Name/Call Sign. This would determine what the soldier would be known as elsewhere in the game - such as on the Battlescape and the personnel screens. For example Cpl Chris England or Le Grand Fromage (without the rank being mentioned at all with the callsign?)

Caveats - the kick starter pre-order soldiers may have to be set in such a way that their details can't be altered. Alternatively, they may simply appear as defaults, that you can order. It depends what the Kickstarter text states, and if anyone feels ripped off by that.

alt soldier mini.jpg

577e7ca0aad81_altsoldiermini.jpg.407e789

Speaking for everyone is good way to make mistake. And it is absolutly nothig personal for me - I would like to play under Soviet flag. Please leave hatred away from this forum - it will not help the progress.

First of all, Xenophob, I brought no hatred to this forum. I made notice, that Soviet theme is sensitive as many nations have suffered a lot from that criminal regime. Soviet Regime / Crimes / Symbols / Not good. BTW it's illegal to use symbols/flags of Soviet regime in some eastern european countries like Nazi symbols and flags are forbidden by law in Germany.

I feel for you man. Please tell us more when one of those countries amounts to more than a speck of noise on the world map.

Until then, as long as there still are nations in this world that don't ban legitimate history to serve their current political leanings...

image.php?u=5250&dateline=1350776595
Edited by HWP

hey leave Hwp alone hes not being serious ..hes a deep thinker a progressive i know for a fact hes a tolerant and thoughtfull person and was just trying to be funny..so give him a break.

anyway going back to goldhawk HQ got to make sure giovani and chris do there work and i have a meeting with the pope later too...

Edited by mordenkien

Xenophob where are you from?

what game was it that launched locked Russian only version for the eastern European countries? I thought that game and developers got A LOT of flak for that? was it Borderlands 2?

Updated my profile. I'm from Ukraine.

Sorry I didn't understand what "locked Russian only version for the eastern European countries" is. My previous post means, that in computer game "Worms" me and other peoples I know used to like to choose flags and so it may be nice to have it flags Xenonauts. That is all. I don't want go offtopic, so if it is important contact me through PM.