Turn-based Strategy revival!

ooey

Older playerbase and more mature player base isn't really accurate in my opinion :P And assuming that everyone would use pcs instead, it would be even less untrue since wouldn't you want the teens to swarm COD instead of every other community?

(Also emulators are illegal and console games work better on consoles. And what is higher skill ceiling supposed to mean? And free online? There are other few things on that list that don't really make sense)

I used to game exclusively on the PC. But once I started working in IT doing system design and architecture all day long troubleshooting etc... Thats the last thing I wanted to do anymore. Many enthusiasts love doing that to their home PC.. tweaking, editing, etc. Some games don't run right, at all, etc without some kind of tweaking.

Playing on a Console is all about convenience for me. I don't have to mess the OS at all. I don't have to go config file diving to figure out why something isn't working. I don't have to worry about upgrading or downgrading drivers. I don't have to flash the BIOS upgrades. I don't have to play with different settings, etc. I don't have to mess with the crap I don't want to since I do it all day. I would rather come home, load my game- and just play.

Buy a console for a couple hundred bucks and be done with it for the next 3-4 years. Consoles truly are Plug'N'Play and for the price- I'll take it.

And trust me, there are a lot more people with the "PC elitism" superiority complex than console guys. I could care less what system people choose to play on but I see time and time again people coming out with the BS "omg, you console kiddies. this game is so dumbed down for the console kids!!!!!!!". Why throw in the "kids" part unless you intend to be demeaning? Oh thats right- because people do intend to be demeaning.

Older playerbase and more mature player base isn't really accurate in my opinion :P And assuming that everyone would use pcs instead, it would be even less untrue since wouldn't you want the teens to swarm COD instead of every other community?

(Also emulators are illegal and console games work better on consoles. And what is higher skill ceiling supposed to mean? And free online? There are other few things on that list that don't really make sense)

I believe, that at least in the US, emulators are NOT illegal so long as you already own the products you're emulating (or has been licensed in the case of the PS2 emulator built into the PS3). And even then, a lot of the games are out of print and not making any money for the people that made it, so the chance of someone coming after you because of it is extremely rare.

Can't agree..

I have emulators and I play some console games and I dont' see them as working better.

Plus I can save any time I want with my emulator. No checkpoints for me!

The "kiddie" mentality is only there because of the kids you find on games like COD that continually call you "douchebag" etc. Obviously it's easier for them to have a console because they are cheaper.

Yes - screen being too small is one of the reasons I dont like hand-helds, but other than that I just don't see the point of them (for me anyway). Of course, they are a great source of gaming for those who commute to work etc. Hate/dislike, whatever you want to call it, I have never really felt the urge to buy one, but each to their own.

Glad you like hichhikers guide lesserangel - but instead of the very disapointing film, have a watch of the original BBC TV series which is much more true to Douglas Adams' book (though being Americian, you might not understand some of its British quaintness ;-)). The cast is so much better too. He used to live near me in Islington, you know!

Edited by ooey

The "kiddie" mentality is only there because of the kids you find on games like COD that continually call you "douchebag" etc. Obviously it's easier for them to have a console because they are cheaper.

Because games like COD don't exist on the PC. And being called a "douchebag" comes from a mentality, not age group. I have been called a lot worse by "mature gamers" while gaming on the PC. :P

In any case, I still have a computer to play some games on and I play on my PS3. I suppose it is just finding what your own preference is and finding a group of people you enjoy playing with regardless of platform.

I'll be playing xenonauts on my laptop for sure! :D

Glad you like hichhikers guide lesserangel - but instead of the very disapointing film, have a watch of the original BBC TV series which is much more true to Douglas Adams' book (though being Americian, you might not understand some of its British quaintness ;-)). The cast is so much better too. He used to live near me in Islington, you know!

Actually, the BBC miniseries was my first exposure to H2G2, after my dad showed me that, I got the books, then I watched the movie when it came out.

Because games like COD don't exist on the PC. And being called a "douchebag" comes from a mentality, not age group. I have been called a lot worse by "mature gamers" while gaming on the PC. :P

Of course games like cod mw2 exist on the PC! It's just immature youngsters that are less likely to have one than a console. You will find, as I have, that MOST abuse comes from youngsters. Of course, there are some immature adults out there too! I don't mind being called a d-bag, its when the personel, bad language comes out that I start to get annoyed, and yes - most of the worst stuff comes out of the mouths of older people (because they know more swear words?!).

Of course games like cod mw2 exist on the PC! It's just immature youngsters that are less likely to have one than a console. You will find, as I have, that MOST abuse comes from youngsters. Of course, there are some immature adults out there too! I don't mind being called a d-bag, its when the personel, bad language comes out that I start to get annoyed, and yes - most of the worst stuff comes out of the mouths of older people (because they know more swear words?!).

lol you should hear the things my 4 year old nephew says. I disapprove of my brother in laws parenting methods. Ha.

lol you should hear the things my 4 year old nephew says. I disapprove of my brother in laws parenting methods. Ha.

Oh dear, that makes me rather sad because I'm a Mormon, and find swearing very offensive because, well, it's meant to be isn't it? But that's another discussion.

As for TBS revival (the original subject), various kickstarter projects other than xen have helped too. There are a good few that are well supported now. It looks like we've come full circle and are back to the Bedroom programmer ethos in a way - people making games in small teams that others (ok, minority groups) want to see, which is refreshing.

Edited by ooey

Well, all right then, I'm back to playing the great TBS Unreal World.

Also, I think I still have a really old PC that when I tried to play Half-Life on started it, but produced about 1 frame per 5 seconds. Given that the average turn in Wasteland lasts under 4 seconds, how much will you bid for an opportunity to play The Great Half-Life TBS?